Start by marking “A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 (A Bride's Story, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 (A Bride's Story, #3)

A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 (A Bride's Story #3)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  2,336 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori's tale of life on the nineteenth-century Silk Road continues, this time introducing a new would-be bride--Talas. A young widow, Talas opens her home to the researcher Mr. Smith, who has ventured to her town to continue his studies. However, when Talas's uncle begins to see Smith as an impediment to his plans to wed his son to Talas, the old man ...more
Published March 2012 by Orbit/Yen Press (first published June 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Bride's Story, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride's Story, Vol. 3

MissAnnThrope
20 April 2013

So far in this series, the plot has taken a backseat to the beautiful artwork. Not so in A Bride's Story, Vol. 3. Of course the illustrations are as spectacular as ever, but the story has intensified and now keeps pace with the art. I didn't know how I would feel following Mr. Smith's storyline, leaving Amir and Karluk behind, but this ended up being the most gripping storyline of the series yet.

The third volume follows Mr. Smith as he journeys to Ankara to continue his research. Wh
Elizabeth A
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphix, translated
This installment of life on the 19th century Silk Road has Mr. Smith making his way to Ankara. On the way he meets Talas, a young widow with an interesting and very sad history. Their lives get intertwined in ways neither expects.

It's easy to in this modern age to forget that we live in a patriarchal society as so much is not as overtly visible as in the past. Talas is another interesting character, though not as well developed as Amir, and her situation is very different as she has no man to "p
Mehsi
It is time for the journey of Mr. Smith to continue, but of course we also meet a new girl, there are several adventures and harrowing times, and we meet some old friends again.

In the last volume we said our goodbyes to Amira and Karluk. It was time for Mr. Smith to travel again to find his companion/guide. It wasn't that safe for him anymore. So he left (well, the first part of the journey our couple went with him to guide the way). In this book we see him wander around in the town where he is
David Schaafsma
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Historical manga, romance, volume 3, with a new bride introduced, and they are all young, married at 12-13, but the one introduced in this volume is a young widow, Talas, who opens her home to the British researcher Mr. Smith, who gets in the middle of negotiations for a groom for Talas… on the Silk Road.. Mori, who seems to be only speaking to children in her afterwords to these series, and seems kinda silly there, gives some attention to historical accuracy for the period, so she is taking it ...more
Sesana
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This volume takes off in a different direction than the first two. As the cover suggests, Amir is not the focus of this story. Instead, we've followed Mr. Smith to another village, where he meets a young widow named Talas. Unfortunately, we don't get to know Talas quite as well as we had Amir, and I get the sense that her story is well and truly over. That said, I think most of the people reading this series are here for the art above all, which is as beautiful and intricately detailed as ever.
Tasha
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, historical
Aw, poor anthropologist dude. Don't worry, guy, she was bad news anyway. She'll kill off that fifth husband in no time.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Bride's Story, vol. 3, by Kaoru Mori, 207 pages.

It's been awhile since I was able to read the first 2 volumes. This volume is a bit of a side story, following the journey of Mr Smith, an English researcher studying the ways of the people living along the Silk Road in the 19th century. The main characters from the earlier volumes, Amir and Karluk, make a brief appearance. This volume features some insights as well as critiques of the marriage arrangement customs of their culture. It also featu
Heidi Burkhart
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fascinating GN. Love this series!
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continues to be excellent. Peerless art, fun characters, enough drama without being weighty.
Jenni Joru
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aron kansoja tutkiva tiedemies Smith tekee lähtöä Amiran uuden perheen parista. Hän pysähtyy lähikaupunkiin odottelemaan opasta. Oppaan viipyessä hän tutustuu Talasiin, joka asuu kaksin vanhan äitinsä kanssa arolla jurtassa.

Talas on viisinkertainen leski. Hänen kaikkia miehiään on kohdannut sairaus tai epäonni. Nyt eräs mies on vaatimassa Talasia poikansa kakkosvaimoksi. Tämä tietäisi pelkkää palvelijan asemaa ja vähäisen omaisuuden menetystä. Talasin äiti haluaisi kovasti naittaa Talasin Smith
Ashley
So I have decided that I absllutly LOVE Kaoru Mori as a manga artist! I LOVED her series Emma and I am LOVING this one!

I know that not ALL love stories get happy endings and this one has a sad note to all those romantics out there. And my heart broke in the million pieces it should when said person as a sad outcome with love. It was like Emma & Will allover again. Different place. Different time. Different people. Different outcome and reasons for it, but it is still the some heart brake.

Al
Intisar Khanani
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to include graphic novels in my regular reading, and a graphic novel that delves into life in Central Asia when the Silk Road was still a happening thing? Oh yes! Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was picking up the third book until it arrived from my library with a great big "3" on it. Fortunately, you do not have to have read the previous books to enjoy this one!

This is a beautiful, humorous and sad story. The bride in this story is Talas, married to one brother after another
Erin Germain
This volume shifted its focus, following Mr. Smith on his journey. He is planning to meet up with a guide who will take him to Ankara. While in town, he runs into a bit of trouble (in typical Mr. Smith fashion) and is unable to find the man who was hired to be his guide. He does meet a young woman named Talas, who invites him back to the home she shares with her mother-in-law. While staying there, Mother hatches a plan to marry the young couple (it's actually done in kindness; there's an uncle w ...more
Megan M
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While it's hard to pick favorites in a series I love so much, this has to be my favorite volume yet. This volume follows Mr. Smith, the English linguist studying the region, as he attempts to find his way to Ankara to continue his research. Along the way, he meets the beautiful but tragic Talas, whose five husbands have all died, leaving her alone with her mother-in-law. Rather than just show us glimpses into the day-to-day life of the tribes of Central Asia, this volume is a true love story wit ...more
May
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is something simply rich and luscious about Mori's storytelling, particularly in this series. The author provides a view into a world that on the surface looks so pastoral and uncivilized but really, it is rich in culture and diversity. The female characters in this story may seem all passive and obedient creatures but are these fascinating mixture of strong, weak, independent, honorable, hardworking, and quiet. What sets Mori's work aside and makes it so memorable to me is how her illustr ...more
Majo
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
¡Al fin este manga le esta haciendo honor a su nombre!

Esta historia se me hizo muy triste y melancólica. (view spoiler) Espero que más adelante se retome esta trama y se resuelva de un modo más satisfactorio.
Miss
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Do you like slice of life stories? In depth look at cultures far too neglected in fiction? Amazingly detailed and historically accurate art work? Adorable characters?

Check out Bride's Story Volume 3 today! 4 stars

P.S. Amir and Karluk reappear in this, for those who were worried we'd lose them after volume 2. :D
Sho
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful clothings and arts add unique and special atmosphere to this semi cultral study manga about middle Asia in 19th Century. It's really interesting and entertaining. Looking forward to reading more!
Julie
Talas! Mr. Smith! What will happen to you!?! The story for this volume was particularly gripping. Artwork: gorgeous and extremely detailed as always. I feel like I'm learning a lot about the culture when I read this series.
Belinda
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another terrific read, no doubt chronicling how it really was for women in Asia around 100 years ago (and maybe even now), but the ending….

Such an excellent series.
Lorien
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a tragedy! Mr. Smith falls in love, and then loses her in one day! How horrible! :(
brea
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in there are just amazing.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved that this was a story about Mr. Smith! It also simplified the storyline and was more enjoyable for all that.
Rahmah
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kaoru-mori, manga, my-own
Di vol. ini lebih banyak menceritakan tentang Pak Smith, orang Inggris yg awalnya menumpang di rumah Karluk. Entah kenapa rumit banget ini kisah cintanya ^^'. Agak kesal juga sih sama ibu mertuanya Talas yg tiba-tiba asal nikah aja. Udah gitu, pamannya sebenarnya mau jodohin Talas buat jadi istri ke-2 anaknya atau emang ngincar kakak iparnya? -_-

Karena keseringan baca cerita mainstream, awalnya mikir Pariya boleh juga sama Smith. Trus Smith udah ada cewek lain. Ehh ada Ali, tapi dia kismin, ehh
Monrucha▪♡▪
I knew Mr.Smith would look amazing without his glasses.

This volume is something else.Kaoru Mori managed to get me invested in a character and his romance, then broke my heart into pieces in one book.

Mr.Smith was a side character who blended into the background on the first two volumes.He really shines in this one.He went from a funny support role to a charming,dorky lead in this book.He's looks,personality and ambition is very attractive to me.

I fell in love with this anthropologist and I was de
Brie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Volume 3 tells of Mr. Smith's journey to Ankara. Mostly held up in a town where he meets a young woman named Tala, who lives alone with her mother-in-law. They host him while he waits for his guide to Ankara. A fondness develops between Smith and Tala, and her mother wishes he'd marry her.

After some mishap with the law, Karluk and Amir find them, with Pariya, and stay with him while he waits for his guide. When his guide does show up, he finds himself having to deal with Tala's mother's wishes,
Jess Kautz
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Not to be overly dismissive, but who picks up another volume of A Bride's Story in hopes of seeing more about the white European guy? It's disappointing to leave the characters I love to follow around a background character I'm not particularly interested in, and who I continue to not be particularly interested in by the end of this book. And there's at least two more books following him until we get back to the original cast? It's been enough to turn me off from the series.

The story in this boo
Chang
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really nice slice of life in the Central Asian steppes--mostly the towns. This volume is a continuation of the English traveler, Mr. Smith.

As always, Kaoru Mori's extremely detailed drawings are a delight. Seriously, her drawings made watching the characters rustle up a meal in the marketplace a mouthwatering ordeal.

And as always, it's a bit weird to see the stylized Japanese manga faces and eyes juxtaposed with the otherwise realistic drawings.

Really makes me want to read more about the commu
Mandy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't get over how detailed everything is. How well researched, with little tidbits offered up in dialogue that just makes it that much more realistic.

This edition deviates from Amir's story, and while I wasn't happy about that at first, it ended up being an interesting arc with a very emotional ending. The knowledge that the situation like Talas and Mr. Smith's was likely commonplace just baffles me, and I really hope that we didn't see the end of them.

Still, I am looking forward to getting
Kristina
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh good, I'm glad to hear there is a volume 4 somewhere. It couldn't possibly do this to me to make Mr. Smith so happy and then swipe his happiness away. Ali as a second son needs money for a wife, too. I wonder if the Second Sons are looking for fighters for hire ;)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11 (Yotsuba&! #11)
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 3
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 2  (Library Wars: Love & War #2)
  • Vinland Saga, Omnibus 1
  • Cross Game 3 (Cross Game, #6–7)
  • The Color of Heaven (Color Trilogy, #3)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.
More about Kaoru Mori

A Bride's Story (10 books)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 (A Bride's Story, #1)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4 (A Bride's Story, #4)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 5 (A Bride's Story, #5)
  • 乙嫁語り 6 (Otoyomegatari, #6)
  • 乙嫁語り 7 (Otoyomegatari, #7)
  • 乙嫁語り 8 (Otoyomegatari, #8)
  • 乙嫁語り 9 (Otoyomegatari, #9)
  • 乙嫁語り 10 (Otoyomegatari, #10)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be