Start by marking “Руслан и Людмила” as Want to Read:
Руслан и Людмила

Руслан и Людмила

В книгу вошла прекрасная поэма А.С. Пушкина "Русла и Людмила". Написанная в 1817-1820 годах, она и сейчас восхищает читателей богатством содержания, удивительной яркостью и живостью картин, блеском и поэтичностю языка. Цветные иллюстрации Дарьи Юдиной.
144 pages
Published 2006 by Drofa-Plyus (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about Руслан и Людмила, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Руслан и Людмила

Start your review of Руслан и Людмила
Kalliope

Next year we will celebrate the second centenary of the ‘beginning’ of Russian literature. Ruslan & Ludmila, Pushkin’s first book, was published in 1820. He really began to work on it a couple of years earlier, while studying in the Imperial Lyceum at the age of seventeen-eighteen, but devoted himself entirely to the epic during his first and softer exile. The tales that his nurse had told him were a major source of inspiration.

I have read it twice and watched the eponymous opera by Mikhail Gli
Vishy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read Alexander Pushkin's 'Ruslan and Lyudmila' for a long time and so I decided to read it now.

I discovered that I have three translations of the book. One of the interesting decisions I had to take was which translation to read. Initially, I thought I'll read all three. But after I started reading, I thought I'll read the one which appeals to me more, and which flows more smoothly for me, and reference back to the other two and read specific passages. This is what I did in the
Magdalen
All in all a nice fairy tale, (written in a poem form)
BUT the vocabulary killed me. I didn't expect it to find it so hard.
Sash Chiesa
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had I been 15, I would've certainly fallen in love with or say fantasized about Ruslan and though I'm not, this poetical work has been successful in charming me. Pushkin's dedication, "Queens of my heart, you lovely girls, they're meant for you and only you" was something I felt throughout. He weaves Russian mythology and folklore in a vibrant manner. With beautiful and warm rhythms, mesmerizing narrative, Ruslan and Lyudmila is a delightful read. In Pushkin's own words, he, "covet(s) no one's c ...more
Marc Gerstein
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I’ve heard this characterized as a fairy tale or a children’s story and I can see where it has a ton of appeal on that basis. And, we know, Glinka thought it had enough adult reach to have written an opera based on it (and movie adaptations followed). But beyond all that, I think this is an incredible and important literary work in and of itself.

It can always be debated whether a work of literature is best appreciated by focusing entirely on the work standing on its own, versus reading it with a
Jonathan Widell
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the English translation while listening to a Russian reader read it aloud on an audiobook. Pushkin's verse continues to astound me with its easy flow. Listening to a Russian read the original turns the experience into nothing short of magic. As a Finn, I found it amusing that the Finnish wizard plays such a crucial role in the story and saves the beleaguered Kiev from the barbaric Pechenegs by bringing the protagonist Ruslan back to life at the end of the story. The Finnish wizard is to R ...more
Karen
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pushkin is so very enjoyable to read, and so easy. This volume is beautiful, with the original Russian on the left, and English translation on the right. The note on the translation was really interesting, and made me appreciate the complexity of making a great Russian work so easily accessible in English, but it also reinforced how much I'm missing, not being able to *hear* its original lyricism.
Anna Kļaviņa
On seashore far a green oak towers,
And to it with a gold chain bound,
A learned cat whiles away the hours
By walking slowly round and round.
To right he walks, and sings a ditty;
To left he walks, and tells a tale....

У лукоморья дуб зеленый;
Златая цепь на дубе том:
И днем и ночью кот ученый
Все ходит по цепи кругом;
Идет направо - песнь заводит,
Налево - сказку говорит.

Masterpiece. I grow up listening to this poem and watching movie. (http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=2UoO2t... with English subtitles)

Irina Paley
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to think that this was a lovely fairy tale, but then I met a Pushkin scholar who told me that this is actually a story of sexual perversion with major homo-erotic undertones. I like it much better now.
Nick Traynor
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I want to say that this was a greatly informative edition, complete with a biography of Pushkin, particular notes about the different editions that this narrative poem underwent and rounded out with a bonus feature of excised passages. The more I learn about the challenges of translation, the more I appreciate the exceeding difficulty in the art, and it can never be more apparent than in poetry.

This is the second longest of Pushkin's poetical works, but I felt it was really easy to read
Suad Alhalwachi
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry as a story and a long one too. I bet you the collection of these stories will be fantastic to read in its native language but the translation was great too. Ruslan has found his Ludmila, and also I found out that snow while and the seven dwarfs had been written first by Pushkin as the princess and the seven champions. Always witches, step mothers, greedy Kings, and people who can never have enough of what life offers.

I tried to read it to the grandkids but they didn’t understand the poet
Brian
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was in Muse form. It reminded me of Beowulf or the Iliad or the Lancelot story, although I think those are a bit more engrossing. Admittedly, I got lost at times in Ruslan and Ludmila. Very prosey. But it still has some rhythm and a princely hero/villain type of story-line. I imagine there is quite a bit of metaphorical element in it, but I just read it quickly without ruminating too much on the eloquent details.
L Allen
Started strong and then it just got... Sloppy.
Andrei Vasilachi
description

3 / 5

Pushkin wrote this poem / fairy tale when he was just 20, and it was his first major work that set him on the literary stage in the 18th century. In essence, the plot is familiar already: an evil wizard kidnaps the princess (Ludmila) and the hero (Ruslan) goes on an adventure to save her, while having some competition along the way. The story is set in Kievan Rus’. It’s a bit silly (sometimes on purpose, it’s a fairy tale after all), a bit long-winded in some scenes and underdeveloped in ot
Jessica
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part Odyssey, part 1,001 Nights, part Russian folktale: all awesome. Seriously, Pushkin is a genius. I will now add him to my list of favorite authors and commence the digital stalking.
Svetlana
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A nice short story in verse filled with magic, heroes, battles and love. Whats not to love about it?
Jake Danishevsky
Read it in Russian, in former Soviet Union, and as a teen. Can't recall which version, but I recall that I loved it.
Tania U
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia
Pushkin's first published book, written at the age of 20 about, it already amazed his readers with his solid literary craft and original personal style. And 200 years ago, one can still enjoy it just as much.

If I were to choose 3 words to describe it, they would be:
1 Hot. In the sense that the Bible says to be hot or cold but never lukewarm: Pushkin, once again, strikes me as someone who is always hot, passionate, intense, fast-paced - in his writings as well as in his life.
But feel free to unde
Mike
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
I’ve never been had as much enthusiasm for epic poetry as I have for prose, but Pushkin’s narrative poetry is simply a joy to read. This is the poem that sparked modern Russian literature, much in the same way Goethe’s Werther did for German literature. The tale is enchanting, the language is gorgeous, and allusions to both Russian folklore and classic hero myth provide a perfect fusion makes this poem feel both ancient and new. To think that Pushkin wrote this in his late teens is remarkable.
Fred Dameron
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It's Pushkin! That being said: the story, rhyme and meter are ecstatic. The hit at traditional folk tales is wonderful. The look at old Kieven Ruse is fantastic. Finally, the illustrations bring the whole story to life. If you love Pushkin, Old Kieven Ruse, Russian lit and or poetry a must read. This edition is beautifully illustrated and a great gift for tween readers or to read to Grandchildren.
B
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing publication of a foundational title in Russian literature. Side-by-side English and Russian text, which is tremendously helpful for bilingual readers. Bizarrely, there were two sets of endnotes--not quite sure why they couldn't have been combined or presented better to be more helpful.
Agnus Dei
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's basically Adventure Time with the evil wizard kidnapping the Princess and the hero goes and saves her. But it's a really adorable, with sometimes rather dodgy inputs from the author, but maybe that was a thing of the time, who would know.. ?
Anastassiya
Wonderfully beautiful form and a bit of a silly story (folk take for kids)
Leia Kolet toledano
A very long and very Russian tale. Yes written beautifully and yet soooooo long
Kienie
Didn't really do it for me. It meanders too much, but at the same time some scenes just don't get enough attention. So they just forgive Fralf? Is he at least banished? And what about Naina the witch? Presumably she still hates the Finn wizard. She probably doesn't really care about Ruslan, but if he's the Finn's chosen, wouldn't she want some revenge? As for Chernomor...they just let him live in the castle! Beards do grow back...unless that's part of the magic of the sword, and it won't grow ba ...more
Zoya
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, russian
I love Kochergin's illustrations, specially black and white ones (the colour ones seem to be a tiny bit blurry), but that could be because the edition I had in my childhood was illustrated by him as well.
Anna
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely fantastic on all levels.

All I wanna know is - who still can recite the entire laundry-list of fables that is the opening piece (comeon, you know you hadda memorize it in 2nd grade!)
Brittany
Really 2.5 stars. The work wanders off-topic several times to the detriment of the story (though, according to the information available about Pushkin, the piece provides great insight to his life at the time and at the time of the republication).
Marga Vr
Oct 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of classic lit
Shelves: classic
This was Pushkin'd first major work, ironic retelling as a narrative poem a medieval fairytale filled with swashbuckling knights and damsels in distress.
Olga

• Poor Liza
  • The Garnet Bracelet, and Other Stories
  • Mumu
  • The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Приключения Незнайки