Start by marking “Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)” as Want to Read:
Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)

Privileged Information

(Alan Gregory #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  3,290 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
Psychologist Alan Gregory has a bright future--until one of his female patients turns up dead. Her diary describes her sexual obsession with Gregory and his willing involvement. Alan is obligated to keep patient records confidential, even from the police. But when more of his patients die, he becomes the prime suspect--and soon discovers the terrible truth. Reissue.
Published January 1st 2001 by Pinnacle (first published July 24th 1991)

Corinne
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost all of Stephen White's mystery novels and have enjoyed them all. However, I found this first book (which I just re-read) the most disturbing of all because of the situation involved. As an attorney whose law practice included Juvenile Court Child Abuse and Neglect cases, I am very aware of the Tarasoff case and the "Duty to Warn" it articulated. (If I remember my Freshman Law School Class notes accurately, in that case, a patient told his therapist that he planned on killing h ...more
Susan (aka Just My Op)
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This first book in the popular mystery series featuring psychologist Alan Gregory, is a light, quick, and entertaining read, very good for the genre. It seems Gregory is having a problem with keeping patients alive. And after he is accused of sexual misconduct, he is having a problem with keeping any patients at all. While he is trying to determine what is behind the deaths and if there is any common denominator, as well as clearing his name, his hands are tied by the ethics of his profession. O ...more
Ben
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
I hadn't heard of Stephen White until recently, when his name came up in a Denver Post story. I was intrigued by the promise of an accurate depiction of the story's Colorado setting, and I wasn't disappointed in that aspect. White is a native Boulderite who knows his town and state well, and it's rare to find fiction set in Colorado that's this accurate (the domed football stadium in Clancy's The Sum of All Fears comes to mind).

Unfortunately, the novelty of reading a story set near my home was t
Mary
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Clinical psychologist Dr. Alan Gregory faces professional and personal disgrace when several of his attractive female patients are found dead. When the first murder victim is found with a diary detailing her bizarre sexual infatuation for Dr. Gregory, he becomes the prime suspect in the investigation. As more of his patients are murdered, Alan faces a dilemma, the evidence that will clear his name is privileged information that he can't reveal at the risk of breaching his professional ethics. Bu ...more
Gary
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
The first book in the series about a Psychologist who becomes the Prime suspect when some of his patients are murdered. I thought the book started strongly developing the characters and the plot but dipped in the middle. It did recover towards the end and did leave me wanting to read more of this series.
Coincidentally the book I read immediately before this was Michael Robotham's 'Suspect' which was very similar and at times left me wondering whether I was reading the same book again. N.B. The S
Inga
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm always looking for a good, long series and I'm happy I gave Stephen White a whirl. Dr. Alan Gregory, a Clinical Psychologist, works to figure out why his seemingly unrelated patients continue to turn up dead. The plot moved quickly and the cast of characters thoroughly entertained me. I'm looking forward to reading #2.
Jo Ann
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
THIS was the correct Privileged Information book my friend recommended, and it is a page-turner! Highly recommended!
Jim
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Written originally in 1991, this is the first in author Stephen White's "Alan Gregory" series. Gregory is a psychologist in Boulder, Colorado. Along with his trusty dog Cicero the divorced doctor has a thriving practice. When one of his patients appears to commit suicide, Gregory's practice seems to suffer badly. After two more of his patients end up dead the police highly suspect Gregory of foul play. Dr. Alan falls for the second baseman of his business partner's all women softball team. (Laur ...more
Tara
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

I previously read The Program by Stephen White and really enjoyed it so I decided to read the first in the series. It was a good read, however, a good portion of the book was based on the relationship he had with the Deputy DA - that wasn't really something I was expecting. Felt like "romantic suspense" and I avoid that genre like the plague. It also didn't feel very suspenseful to me because you figure very early on what's going on and the build up was quite slow. The end only cleane
Roger P
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I tend to be wary of 1st books in a mystery series where the Author is a newbie but Stephen White pulled this off well. Set in Boulder, CO the protagonist is psychologist whose clients are dying and his ethical dilemmas of not breaking confidentiality. The author is himself a psychologist so the premise was well developed. While “who done it” is no surprise the way he is caught was nicely done. I will likely read more in the series. My only downside listening to an audiobook was the narrator who ...more
Patricia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
According to the preview of this book, I thought would be more intense and a complete page turner... Instead it was up and down for me and not enough action to where parts of it I was ready to give up on this book. This is the 1st book of Stephen White I have read and sure hope the next books, (considering I have all of his books except one) get much much better!!!
Merredith
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: skip it
I'd read a couple of Alan Gregory mysteries before and thought they were pretty good, so i decided to begin with the beginning. This is book number one. I have to say, if i had started with the first one, i never would have read any more in the series. Alan is a psychologist, so the books are sort of like the Jonathan Kellerman series, but not. Not as good, for sure. Every character in this book is annoying. The two most annoying characters are the main guy, Alan, and the woman he's trying to da ...more
Ed
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction Fans
This is the first offering of Stephen White's and a wild ride it is.

I can understand how his popularity rose so fast, even though, I still think he's, to some extent, mimicking Jonathan Kellerman. The biggest differences are that Psychologist, Alan Gregory, the major protagonist is more of a klutz than Kellerman's Alex Delaware and seems to have more of a sense of humor. He's also, pretty much a loner and has no Milo Sturgis, to keep him straight.

The story is written in the first person which cr
Katherine Clark
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in White's series featuring Boulder psychologist Alan Gregory. His patients start dying and leaving behind information that could damage his career and reputation. This is a great series and it's a treat to know I have lots more to read.
Emily
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
good mystery, but bogged down on to much jargon. Awesome premise, a background in phycology would help a reader out. Will continue a few more in the series but if jargon doesn't ease up, I won't be reading all 18 to date!
Cheryl
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Very well-written and suspenseful!
Donna
Psychologist Alan Gregory, unable to share confidential information he received from a patient with police, investigates a series of murders himself.

Good thing: It would definitely be a hard line to walk - knowing that a patient did something bad, but being unable to tell anyone. This book did a good job of getting that dilemma across.

Bad thing: I didn't really like the main character or the woman he was interested in. Their interactions and the way they treated each other were painful to read.
Hazel Bright
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of an idiot plot (it's obvious whodunit) until Gregory "puts it all together" in a way that I didn't get even after he explained it. Fortunately, someone must have employed this seemingly archaic thing called an editor, who probably made him explain it again. I also did not get the pain in the butt love interest. Enough trivia around the edges to keep it interesting, though. I had never heard of LOVID, for example, and enjoyed learning about that. Hope the following books in the series are ...more
D.M. Darko
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hmm, wow! This absolutely quenched my desire for a solid suspense story and boy it delivered. Loved the way it was handled, solid characters, tight tropes of the genre which are familiar to Sandford, and above all the language used, which was neither too preachy or overdone. I flew through this novel and can't wait to continue the series.
MsChris
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and especially as a mental health professional enjoyed to realistic questions of ethics in our practice. I did have to take off a star for his little stab at counselors, though. Haha... Just kidding.. Kind of. ;)
Melanie  Koerperich
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
glad I initially started this series with a later book... but I absolutely adore this series!! if you are just starting here, please give a few more books a try if you aren't hooked immediately... you will be, I promise!!!
Tim Martin
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it. It's not my kind of book really, but it was enjoyable. Gregory seemed kind of sad though in that most of the people in his life were jerks. The mystery was fine. I wouldn't seek the next book out but I'd read it if it were around.
Danielle Snyder
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wasn't able to finish the book. Found it very slow, boring, and the descriptions of EVERYTHING were very long and repetitive. They did not add to the story at all. Never really got into the characters because of the irrelevant wordiness.
aprilla
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's ok, will continue... see how it goes
Lauren
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, mysteries
I could read -- or listen to -- more of this series.
Lesly
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Bill Donhiser
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun psychological thriller. Well done
Martine1975
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5 stars. Definitely will continue reading the series.
Alice Neilson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It seemed to take me forever to read and. In the end I couldn't really follow how he came to the conclusion. I must have missed the clues.
  • The Red Scream (Molly Cates, #1)
  • Four Corners of Night
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Dogs of God
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • A Little Death
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • A Circle of Souls
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • The Wheat Field
  • Into the Fire
  • Charlotte
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
  • True Crime
  • Ruin Creek
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Evidence of Blood

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y

Alan Gregory (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)
“I can't give you what you want right now. Yes, your kindness scares me. Yes, I'm safer on my own. Or at least I feel that way. But no. I really don't want you to go away. In Cabo San Lucas, you said that you were struggling with your reaction to my illness. Well, I'm struggling now. With my reaction to you. I fear that when I say I want you, you'll be gone. Running from me. Running to Merideth. Don't get this wrong: this isn't jealously, it's not that simple. this has to do with trust. In my life men can do decent things. At the end, Jake did. My boss, the DA, he has. But men can't be counted on." She paused as the tear tacked down her check, disappearing into the darkness shadowed by her hair. "I can't afford to count on them. On you.” 1 likes
“In Boulder, being of narrow mind was a much worse sin than appearing stupid.” 1 likes