Start by marking “Illusion” as Want to Read:
Illusion

Illusion

Dane and Mandy, a popular magic act for forty years, are tragically separated by a car wreck that claims Mandy's life -- or so everyone thinks. Even as Dane mourns and tries to rebuild his life without her, Mandy, supposedly dead, awakes in the present as the nineteen-year-old she was in 1970. Distraught and disoriented in what to her is the future, she is confined to a ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Howard Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Illusion, please sign up.
Yvonne Conradie I'm all for it. But this is not what I have in mind to write about. I want to draw your attention to the latest book I read of Frank Peretti, namely…moreI'm all for it. But this is not what I have in mind to write about. I want to draw your attention to the latest book I read of Frank Peretti, namely Illusion. I am very disturbed about the fact that he wants to give the impression that you can be a serious child of God and then get involved with all those 'magic' things. Magic is of the devil, and it does not fit in with a Christian's life. To do levitation and all those 'magical' things these people did, and especially Mandy was to me very disturbing. Actually the whole story with the time machine and everything was horrible. Yvonne Conradie(less)

Start your review of Illusion
Lisa Reads & Reviews
In one sense, books are like cakes--the recipe may be more enticing than the taste. Magic, time travel, mature love and teenage confusion (strange mix, but Peretti made it work without being too creepy), mad scientists, doves, etc. Decent writing for the most part, but too choppy and disjointed at times.

"Illusion" provides nothing too challenging to ponder. Even the villains were a bit bland. Yes, poor soul Mandy thrown for a loop, and then having to figure life out in a decadent and evil
C.J. Darlington
After waiting six years for another Peretti novel, my hopes were very high upon starting this novel. While it's definitely different from his other works, it's clearly Peretti. I was intrigued from the beginning and never knew what was going to happen next. The sign of a good novel! As is usually the case for Peretti, you have to read carefully to keep track of everything, but that's what we've come to expect from him. I've tried to think of which Peretti novel this one compares closest to, but ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Frank Peretti has written books I really don't care for and that I lost interest in. He's written books I thought were okay including the YA books that were his first to catch notice. And he's written one that I have on my favorites list The Visitation. The Visitation

This one other than the Visitation is the one I've liked best.

Heidi
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
“Three and a half stars: A love story that defies time and physics!

Our story opens with the unexpected death of Mandy, the magician, at age fifty nine. Mandy and her husband, Dane, are leaving Las Vegas, after years of performing as a successful magic act. The two are headed to Couer d' Alene, Idaho to retire on their new ranch. Unfortunately, Mandy will not make it back to her hometown. Tragedy strikes when their BMW collides in an intersection with another car and bursts into flames. Dane is
Dustin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok

I initially read the synopsis of Frank Peretti's Illusion in April of 2012, and its premise floored me. I had to read it. But as much as I yearned for it, I'd have to wait a few months, for it came on loan from my Mother-in-Law, to whom I'd like to give thanks, and appreciation. After all, every story is a unique experience; they impact us in so many ways, some of which we aren't made aware of until much later.

That being said, I'd like to firmly state that I would have enjoyed this one much
Starr
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2020-read
My first response after finishing Illusion was “Dude that was awesome!” What an amazing ride and great re-meeting with one of the most prolific writers of my time. Before I really get to my review, I have to make a confession. This review is completely biased because I am a huge Peretti fan and I will always read whatever he writes. Whatever he writes. He truly is a storytelling guru. I have been waiting –sometimes patiently and sometimes not - for his next book. When given the opportunity to ...more
Jerry
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Frank Peretti may be a big name in Christian fiction, but Illusion is his first novel since 2006's House, which was co-written with Ted Dekker. However, all that time has not caused Mr. Peretti to slack on his writing; in fact, Illusion is a expertly crafted psychological techno-thriller that keeps you wanting to know what will happen next. Whether you're a fan of Christian fiction or not, you should definitely read this! My hat's off to you, Frank Peretti!

EDIT: I feel pretty much the same way
Cydnie
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book on Goodreads and thought the synopsis sounded interesting: Man's wife, and partner in a magic act, of 40 years dies; a few months later he meets a young woman on the street doing magic tricks and she reminds him of his wife. The girl thinks she has gone crazy because she "remembers" sitting under a tree at the fair in 1970, but all of a sudden it's 2010.

Things I liked:
1- Likeable characters. I thought that the main characters were well written and I could 'picture' them. We got
Charis Jackson
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peretti was one of my favorite authors as a kid and its been a while since I've read any of his books. My mom told me about this one, so I had to give it a read.
It was a bit of a slow start, but that could have been because I read it on kindle and I'm not a fan of e-books. I much prefer to hold a book in my hand. Somehow gives more weight to the work that went in to making the story.
Beside the slow start, I am delighted to say that it held my attention and even surprised me in places. It's
Mike (the Paladin)
Frank Peretti has written books I really don't care for and that I lost interest in. He's written books I thought were okay including the YA books that were his first to catch notice. And he's written on that I have on my favorites list The Visitation.

This one other than the Visitation is the one I've liked best.

Here we have a magical (literally one might say) story of two people who have been married and working together since their youth...when the wife is killed in a auto accident.

Dane and
S.A. Klopfenstein
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Peretti is no one new to complex and difficult plots. And in the past he has handled them well. Had i known before reading that this would be a time-travel romance thriller, I would not have been too concerned, because he's done crazy things before. However, though I enjoyed the concept of the book (magicians, and love, and time-travel, and some sort of vague government conspiracy), I reached the end feeling glad that Mandy survived, but mostly just glad it was over.

The ideas were good, but I
Morgan
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars because there's something about Peretti's style I just don't love. But this one was really good, and not creepy like This Present Darkness. It's more confusing than River Song's timeline, but good. Definitely worth the read.
Thomas Wilson
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illusion By Frank E. Peretti
One thing I discovered as I told fellow reader friends about this book is that most of my friends have heard about Frank Peretti and already familiar with his work. Illusion was the first of his books I have read. Reading the first chapter was sad and heart wrenching and I almost thought he would be soon lumped in with Nicholas Sparks, as far as being extremely talented but not my cup of tea. Soon into the book he captured my attention and imagination.

The book drug me
Heidi
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Frank Peretti is arguably my favorite writer. Not only do I enjoy his books, but the man himself comes across as very humble, very likeable.

His last book, House, coauthored with Ted Dekker, was released in 2006. And like other Peretti fans, I have long awaited new material from him. So naturally, I jumped at the chance to review his latest work, Illusion.

If you are a diehard Peretti fan who enjoys sci fi, magic, and suspense/thrillers, you should enjoy this book. Even if you are not a Peretti
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to start off by saying that the beginning chapters were a little disjointed as what was happening is definitely science fiction in nature. However, it didn’t take long to start putting the pieces together. And, honestly, it was less disjointed than some novels with inclusion of time travel or alternate time lines that I’ve read in the past.

Once the awkwardness was gone, the characters began to come to life and grab my attention. There is such a wonderful love story laced throughout the
Jim Holland
Jun 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I've always been a fan of Peretti's books so was wanting to read this one- despite the warning from a friend (who, like me, loved Peretti's books) that this book was not like the rest and was actually not a good book at all.

I trudged through the first 200 pages or so- and threatened to abandon it altogether several times. The characters were set up nicely with great depth and rich descriptions. But the premise of the book never fully developed- and the curtain was only pulled back with about 100
Christina Boulard
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Now, my friends, don't let the blurb on the back of this book sway you. It may be written by the 'father of Christian fiction', but this is by no means a preachy, religious book.

Illusion is a all love story, and it's told in a beautiful, magical way (pun totally intended!).

Mandy is adorably charming--you'll love her right off the bat.
Particular highlights are her performances. Peretti describes her 'tricks' so well that you'll actually SEE them as she's doing them, and you'll marvel at the
T.E. George
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Illusion is the first novel I ever wrote a review for after reading less than 100 pages. Now that I've completed it I don't regret what I said at all. Some may get a bit lost in the "time-line, alternate selves" plot but the story of Dane and Mandy's transcending love will keep you tuning the pages. The scientific explanations offered may or not be valid and like any good speculative story, before long you don't really care. What matters are the two main characters and how they hope against hope ...more
James Fehr
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fairly light, enjoyable romantic sci-fi book that developed quite slowly over the 500 pages. Those looking for a spiritually nourishing book may want to look elsewhere - there is little about living the Christian life or God's character - but it is clean and heart-warming. The sci-fi scenario was interesting and even a little thought-provoking, but in the end, it was not as deep as I was hoping for, and not all of the loopholes were closed to my satisfaction. I can see why this didn't ...more
J.S. Bailey
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, this was definitely a different kind of read from Peretti. Where did all the demons and preachers go? ;)

I have mixed feelings about Illusion. I enjoyed the story itself and the love between Dane and Mandy, but some things didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me and other plot elements seemed overly convenient. I did like the neat sci-fi element, though. Kind of like Dean Koontz, only less wordy.
Lawrence
One of the best books that I've read by Frank Peretti. If you like christian fiction, fantasy, romantic-suspense and sci-fi drama rolled into one, then you will like this book.
Sana
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
NEVADA

Any kind of magic is like a new flavor of ice-cream...you cannot really imagine or understand it until you tasted it. Unfortunately, the long descriptions of the magic tricks and performances did not really made their way to my imagination. I would never recommend this book, its way too long and not much happening in 500 pages of it...disappointing, the only reason I finished it was because it was for my 50 state challenge.
Steph Nickel
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Illusion or Truth?

It took me some time to “get into” this book, but when I did ... Wow! It is well worth the read. An adventure. A sci-fi. A love story. All wrapped into one. Enjoy!
eden
Feb 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2012
In high school, the majority of my reading was made up of Christian fiction. Sure, I mostly regret that now, as it was time I could have spent reading "serious" literature, but I still have a soft spot for the likes of Ted Dekker, Bill Myers, Randy Alcorn, and Frank Peretti. Which is why this book is an even bigger disappointment than it might otherwise have been. (If you're worried that Peretti is known for Christian fiction, don't be. This book is mostly Christian by virtue of what's missing ...more
Matt
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I understand the symbolism Peretti was using in this book, and I like it, the problem for me was that I just never got pulled into the storyline. I got to page 200 and thought maybe I should read something else. I decided to push through and finish. It just wasn’t the book for me...
Monica
Mar 15, 2018 added it
I loved this book!!!!!!!! I'm sad that it ended, although the ending itself was awesome. The thousands of doves that carried Mandy to safety, her remembering her past, it was all so much! I really really enjoyed this book. I was in it start to finish.
Karen
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this for a book club selection and found it a bit overwrought--emotionally and plotwise. The heroine, Mandy, and the hero, Dane, are inextricably entwined in their deep love for one another, and with their god, and with a machine which can reroute their lives' timelines in multiple ways. The whole "searching to be united with god" aspect, which Peretti says in his comments at the end is his most important focus (his is Christ), seems to be thrown into the plot here and there--mostly by ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
My all time favorite author just released his latest book, so what do I do the moment it arrives? I inhale it, slowly like my all time favorite meal. Why? you ask would you read it slowly, because it may be a long time before another novel this great comes out again, so I want to savor it and make it last as long as I possibly can. So who is this great author that has inspired me to write in this same type of genre since reading his first book, This Present Darkness? Well that would be Frank ...more
Candy
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I first heard that Frank Peretti was releasing a new book after six years, I was so excited I could not contain myself! While I was waiting on “Illusion” to arrive, I read an interview that was done with Frank about the book. In the review he said that “Illusion” was not a typical Frank Peretti book, that it was his way of celebrating his own relationship with his wife of 40 years and so in a sense it was a love story. I was skeptical at the idea of Frank Peretti writing a love story, ...more
Cheryl Olson
You know that feeling you get when you see an old friend that has been so special to you in the past, and you haven’t seen them in ages, but you just fall right back into conversation with them as if no time has passed at all, instant re-bonding. That is my feeling when I picked up Illusion by Frank Peretti. I thought- “Ah, he’s back!” ; and the book is great, filled with all the adventure, intrigue, and suspense of a great Peretti book, take those components and combine them with a story filled ...more
LSPL Book Junkies: Frank Peretti 1 5 Jul 16, 2013 08:46AM
LSPL Book Junkies: Penn and Teller 1 2 Jul 12, 2013 09:49AM
LSPL Book Junkies: Doves 1 4 Jul 08, 2013 11:08AM
LSPL Book Junkies: Magic 1 5 Jul 01, 2013 04:20PM
LSPL Book Junkies: Time Travel 1 6 Jun 29, 2013 11:19AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Giveaway - <i>Illusion</i> by Frank Peretti 1 7 Apr 12, 2012 06:02AM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway - <i>Illusion</i> by Frank Peretti 1 3 Apr 12, 2012 06:00AM

• Forbidden (The Books of Mortals, #1)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Saint (Paradise, #2)
  • Adam
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • Boneman's Daughters
  • The Girl Behind the Red Rope
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)
  • Burn
  • Mortal (The Books of Mortals, #2)
  • The Priest's Graveyard
  • Obsessed
  • Invitation (Harbingers #1-4)
  • White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • Blessed Child (The Caleb Books, #1)
  • Thr3e
  • Heaven's Wager (Martyr's Song, #1)
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local
“Prac­tice doesn’t make per­fect. It makes bet­ter.” 29 likes