Start by marking “Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)

Tears of Requiem

(Song of Dragons #2)

Song of Dragons -- the bestselling fantasy series beginning with Blood of Requiem -- continues with a new tale of blood, steel, and dragonfire.

BOOK TWO: TEARS OF REQUIEM

The nightshades cover the land. Demons of smoke and shadow, they fear no sword or arrow. They suck the souls from all who live, like a glutton sucking marrow from bones. The world falls under their darkness
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tears of Requiem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears of Requiem

Start your review of Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)
Lana
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read however it is a very dark read with the evil incarnate of Dies Irae, the brother of Benedictus, and the emperor of Confutatis now has the nightshades in his power. These monsters of smoke and darkness thrive on living souls, so how can our five dragons fight these monsters? They are intent on rebuilding Requiem but they are hounded all the way, Dies Irea is not only embittered and jealous of his brother but is now completely mad and so vengeful. To counter his darkness on the ...more
Jess
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book. This book keeps the pace up and picks up right where it left off. The characters continue to grow and connect with you, while the story is fast paced and interesting. The details are well written without being over the top grotesque or overly detailed with the love scenes. Book 3 here I come.
Robert Duperre
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Look out, everyone! Big scaly beasts are on the loose!

Daniel Arenson returns with the second book in his Song of Dragons series, Tears of Requiem. We pick up the story right where Blood of Requiem leaves off, with the surviving Vir Requis – King Benedictus, his wife Lacrimosa, their daughter Agnus Dei, and Kyrie – fresh off their defeat and (near) fatal wounding of Benedictus’s brother and ruler of the land, Dies Irae. The griffins have been released, and hopefully life may c
Katie (Bookwise)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
**trigger warning: rape**

So I finally get around to reviewing this. This was one of the first epic fantasy series I read, and it was a rather awful one to start with- covers are cool! Dragons! Gritty fantasy worlds! Inspired by Mozart! But there are some major issues in these books that I haven't seen anyone address, and... well. I need to address them.

Writing was meh, but that isn't the reason I'm giving this a one-star. Rape was used heavily throughout, first of all in order to establish the a
IRIFF
I think this book would make a good video game - specifically a nice, questy rpg. I imagined the nightshades as a cross between Harry Potter's dementors and Kingdom Hearts' heartless. There are random, extraneous creatures thrown in that fight the heroes for no apparent reason. The heroes are always alternating between chasing and running from the bad guy. The cut scenes would be epic and nasty and they would always end with the bad guy slinking away off screen. The game maker has made the bad g ...more
Emily
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it... can't wait for the next installment.
Donna Clements
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never thought the King of Requium would fall! I cream wept with Lacrimoa, Agnus Dei

, Gloriea and Tyrea. I can hardly wait to see what happens next. I love this story and get lost in it's pages. Thank you!!
KathleenMcQ
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A continuation of the saga; a spellbinding read that's hard to put down.
Joco
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this trilogy!!! On to the third :)
Pyrosil
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 Stars
Mari
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
It took me two books to nail this down, but I think I've figured out what this series is missing. I see reviews throwing around a lack of character development, of attachment, but not a lot of "why" they feel this way.

There are no snippets. No moments. You don't get any "Cade really, really sucks at fishing" or "Fidelity doesn't like spicy food, which is hilarious, because dragon". I don't have any reason to differentiate one character from another, except that their dragon form has a different
Dave
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, so picking this one up was any easy choice, also considering the price. But I was a little apprehensive, since sequels regularly disappoint me. To my regret, the same was true for Tears of Requiem.

The novel picks up where Blood of Requiem left us, with the few surviving dragons/humans still hunted by their nemesis, and estranged family member, Dies Irae. A new group of antagonists, the nighshades, which are smoke-like, evil phantoms, team up with
Michelle
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes classic fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Jackie Miller
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is book two in the Song of Dragons series. I have to say that it doesn't disappoint. If anything, it only gets better.

At the end of the first book, Blood of Requiem, I was left with some questions and uncertainties. I won't get into details because I don't want to spoil book one for anybody. I will say that the main nemesis is ultimately the same but with different, not to mention stronger and creepier, allies.

Dies Irae returns as the main force trying to extinguish the last reminaing Vir R
Dianna
Oct 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I saw the rating for the second book in the trilogy was higher than the first, so I was hopeful that it'd be somewhat after...after all, I was going in with such low expectations that it couldn't get much worse, right??

WELL, I WAS WRONG. I stand corrected.

Plotlines and characters continue to be flat, but (view spoiler)
Kyra Dune
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
The story of Requiem continues in book two of the Song Dragons Trilogy, Tears of Requiem. I did not enjoy this one as much as I did the first book in the trilogy. There were still some epic fights and interesting play between the characters, but I didn't feel like the story really progressed. It was almost like reading the first book over again, in a bad sort of way.

I still love the shape-shifting dragons and I still really like the characters, except I didn't like the turn the character of Die
Emmanuelle
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad it's over :( I want to know what continues to happen in the story but I also want the books to last forever. I want to get lost in the world of Requiem and Osanna. It's that good.
But, since all good things don't last forever, I have finished Tears of Requiem and I loved it. The action was non-stop. The characters continued to be enthralling. The new adventures continued to be surprising with new twists and turns at every corner.
The book is well written and makes sense. I love readin
Nicole
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book slightly more than the first, but unfortunately I had difficulty getting into it for the same reasons. I couldn't find much depth in the plot, the characters or the dialogue.

Any character growth or development seemed to happen sort of magically, without any basis in reasoning or plot-based events. The characters continue to really enjoy narrating their thoughts out loud, to the point where it's kind of ridiculous. The dialogue and actions are impetuous and child-like from ea
Doug
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in this genre.
A good follow up to the first book of the series ... the plot line was okay, but somewhat unbelievable because of the condition of the villian from book one to book two.

If the villian was handled different the book would have scored much higher for me.

Still overall a very good read for this type of genre.
Chad Stewart
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
It seems that I give a lot of 4 stars, but it's been a while since I've.read a book that was so good that it deserved 5. This one was no exception. I did like it more than the first book, Blood Of Requiem though. There wasn't quite as much anger in this book. It does seem like it is going to be difficult for the Vir Requiem to rebuild their race. I hope the next book addresses that issue more.
Jen
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-fantasy
Just an okay book. I got bored with it & stopped halfway through. It's just the same thing over & over again - bad guy catches up when them, wounds them, they get away, bad guy catches up with them again, etc. The characters aren't very deeply developed, and the names seem like they were purposely made pretentious. I don't think I will be coming back to this series to finish it. ...more
carlita_is_probably_reading
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was better than the first! It had way more action, drama, and I ended up shedding a few tears. The fact that it is not made clear if the antagonist died has me anxious to read the final installment of the trilogy. Of course I know he can't be dead or there would be no war spilling over into the last book but, none the less I can't wait to get started.
Jenni
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Well book two continues the story, and what a story of despair, love and courage. How the characters survive I don't know. So many die so you can't be squeamish if you read this. The horror the author unleashes on the reader is very vivid.
I'm not sure I like so much death ...but I must read the last book !
So very well written and edited.

thanks daniel
Kryss Summers
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, blagh
Ingrid Foster
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, the 2nd book in Daniel Arenson's Songs of Dragons series. A bit of the dialogue seemed out of place but not enough to stop me from finishing the book. Face it, by that time, I was too hooked to stop reading. And, yes, I'm giving it four stars, it really was that good.
Sherry
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2) by Daniel Arenson This was just as good or better than book 1, kept me completely enthralled. ...more
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Writing was so-so. Not really my style/taste and a bit repetitive. The story was decent so I read the trilogy. I agree with other reviewers that the characters are pretty 1 dimensional and don't show much growth, just cling to the same ideals/prayers and just fight different monsters.
Ruthanne Taylor
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrific Fantasy

I loved this book. It is beautifully written, well plotted & full of wonderful characters both good & evil. Read Book 1 first for a complete picture & follow with Book 3, my next read.
Sanchita
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent second part to the first, with the same problems as the first. There are creatures that are being created and released without any background as to how they have been created. Very unidimensional characters and plotlines.
Amy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Just as gripping as Blood of Requiem was with an extremely fitting title! Eagerly awaiting the next instalment now. Seriously can't wait :-)

• The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • The God-Stone War (Mageborn, #4)
  • The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3)
  • Retribution (Dragonlands, #3)
  • Hunted (Dragonlands, #2)
  • The Shade of the Moon (Last Survivors, #4)
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
  • This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3)
  • Reckoning (Dragonlands, #5)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Hollow World
  • The Riddle
  • The Singing (The Books of Pellinor, #4)
  • The Giver Quartet (The Giver, #1-4)
  • The Saint of Dragons (Simon St George, #1)
  • Desolation (Dragonlands, #4)
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh

Song of Dragons (3 books)
  • Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • Light of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #3)

News & Interviews