Start by marking “Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1)” as Want to Read:
Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1)

Smokeless Fire

(Fire Spirits #1)

FEAR THE HEAT...

When eighteen year old Ari Johnson is transported from her bedroom into the chilling realm of Mount Qaf - home to the terrifying and mercurial Jinn - she learns a truth that rocks her very world. Suddenly her anxiety over college and her broken friendship with Charlie seem like small change compared to the war she now finds herself stuck in the middle of. H
Published October 21st 2011 by CreateSpace (first published October 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Smokeless Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smokeless Fire

Start your review of Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1)
Kay
Dec 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: the synopsis and pretty cover... boo.
1 very generous star.

This book got a lot of five stars and enthusiastic commendation. I delved in expecting to like the book. I mean, it's about Jinn—something that I haven't read about yet! So why such a low rating? What is wrong with me?

I know, I’m sorry. But I was so very annoyed with this book that only the catharsis of expelling my frustration into this review could give me some peace.

There were so many problems with this book. From the editing, the sluggish plot, lack of credible myth bu
Kenya Wright
First of all my expectations were low.

Why?

Because I was dumb enough to read some of the lower star'ed reviews. Thankfully, I was smart enough to check it out for myself.

This book is FUCKING AWESOME!

Sorry for cursing, but if you havn't read this yet.... then WHAT THE FUCK?

I loved it and frankly if you don't love it then you just aren't as cool as me... and that is okay... only a certain amount of people can be cool as me and walk this planet... (I'm so humble.)

Regardless...

THINGS I LOVED:

-New su
Angela
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one please
1 star for the cover and it's trickery.

I disliked this so much.

description

Now, I usually read good reviews before I indulge in a book 'cause I don't like negative vibes when I read. Okay, maybe I read one or two but I don't take it in account as much as 4+ star reviews. Unfortunately, as much as I really tried to like Smokeless Fire, oh sweet baby Jesus, it even has a stupid name, I just couldn't.

Here are my reasons.

Ari. Ignorant, slut-shaming to the 10th degree, name calling, self centered, self-pitty,
Shelly Crane
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
Oh, boy. I want to feel sorry for Charlie. People do some pretty stupid things when they hurt like he does. But I'm thinking something sinister is going on here with him...
I really enjoyed the book.
I'm really looking forward to book two in hopes that Ari kicks Charlie out of her heart and makes Jai realize that they'd be super, duper hot together.
I can't wait for there to be some real love and action between Jai and Ari ;) I enjoyed the flow of Samantha's writing and will definitely pick up an
Quinn Loftis
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is read this book :) It was amazing. One of the things I noticed a couple other reviewers said was that the beginning of this book was slow. I got in touch with Samantha because I wanted to tell her this myself and I will say it here; it wasn't slow at all, it was necessary detail and back ground information that was heart wrenching and at times even made it difficult to breath because you felt Ari's need to help the guy she loved even though he continually hurts her. It's a frustr ...more
Avery
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I have been kicking myself hard since I finished reading this book. Why might I be kicking myself? Because I cannot believe that this is the first book of Samantha's that I have read (especially since I have at least five of her books on my Kindle- and have had them on there for at least half a year)! If you have yet to read one of Samantha's books, what are you waiting for? Seriously, go read one, I guarantee that you won't be disappointed!

This book was jam-packed with everything
Moonlight Gleam
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Never having known her mother, her father always away on business, and her best friend Charlie growing more distant since the death of his brother, Ari Johnson doesn’t know how more she can take.

Ari just wishes that she could be normal, but she soon finds out that she’s anything but that. On her eighteenth birthday, Ari discovers dark hidden secrets that have long been kept away from her.

Jinn are extremely powerful creatures with magical abilities and who deeply enjoy being at the center of chao
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

MY RATING: 4 Hearts

****I would like to thank Samantha Young for providing an e-copy of the book, and giving me an opportunity to review it! :D****

Usually when you hear “YA paranormal romance book”, the first things that come to mind are - vampires, werewolves, witches, warlocks, angels and demons. But hardly ever do readers come across Jinns. Yes, you heard me...JINNS. I don’t know what I was expecting when reading Smokeless Fire, but it definitely wasn’t a world so brilliantly created by Ms. Yo
★Ruth★
First off this has been on my kindle for over a year! WTH I am such an idiot!

I have to say it took me a good bit to get into this but once I did I was totally hooked.

The world building is what confused me the most. The concept was a new interesting one for me but trying to work out who everyone was & why they were had my head spinning for a little bit and stopped me from getting totally lost in it.

But I persevered and I am so glad I did. As with all of Young's character's the female leads are st
Hillary Hunt
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fem-fantasy, ya
I took a gamble on this 99cents kindle read because the concept sounded unique. YA novels about vampires, faeries, and werewolves are a dime a dozen. But Jinn? I didn't even know what a Jinn was. (They're basically like genies; "supernatural creatures in Arab folklore and Islamic teachings that occupy a parallel world to that of mankind." -from wikipedia.)

So yeah, that seemed like a really fresh concept to me, and I was excited to delve into some world building that I haven't seen done anywhere
Yasmeen (semi-hiatus)
DNF @ 46%

i'm dnfing this for now for several reasons:

1- THIS BOOK DESPERATELY NEEDS AN EDITOR.

2- THE WRITING WAS ONE OF A 12 YEAR OLD

3-THE AUTHOR WAS TRYING SO HARD NOT TO MAKE THE ROMANCE AN 'INSTA-LOVE' ONE BUT FAILED -MISERABLY-
Rachel
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Ari Johnson had no idea that her life could get more complicated than it already was.

Her childhood best friend Charlie, the boy she had a secret crush on for years, had completely fallen apart when his brother was killed. And try as she might, she could not save him from the downward spiral he was in.

Her father was more absentee than anything. And every time she tried to let him know just how much she really needed him, he made her feel ungrateful and selfish and spoiled.

She was supposed to grad
Little Paper Rose
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
- Review taken from my YA book blog Little Paper Rose

*I will alert for start/end of spoilers.

Before ‘Smokeless Fire’ I had no knowledge about the Jinn mythology so this was all extremely new to me. Getting to learn about the story and the history of the Jinn very much from scratch has been interesting as well as exhausting. I experienced the first half of ’Smokeless Fire’ to be jam-packed with information and explanation. At some point I felt like I was practically studying about Jinn, and that
Ana (Owl Always Be Reading)
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Smokeless Fire a Fire Spirits novel
Samantha Young
5 Stars

The cover of Smokeless Fire is just gorgeous. Ari is beautiful and exactly the way I pictured her while ready Smokeless Fire. I have been a fan of Samantha Young since she released the Tale of Lunarmorte series and I will say that I will be a fan forever! I have read all of her books and I just can’t get enough of her captivating books. Samantha has a way to bring a new light to old mythology and mix it with today’s modern age.

Ari’s father
Once
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Ari’s father is always away on business trips and since Ari’s mother
D.G.
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Check out this review and others at badassbookreviews.com

Smokeless Fire surprised me. I got it as a freebie so my expectations were low. Big mistake. The world building was intricate, the plot was engaging without being convoluted and the characters were full of depth, the kind you can understand even when you don’t agree with their actions.

Ari is apparently a normal girl. She’s having second thoughts about going to college and feels alienated and alone, specially because she’s dealing with her
Wendy Lohr
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jinn
Plot:

Although Ari's life seems like the typical teenage girl's life, she soon gets swept into a whole other world she never believed existed: the world of the Jinn. As she discovers her true heritage, Ari must come to terms with who she really is and what it means for her. But nothing is ever simple and as secrets unfold, she finds herself in the middle of a power struggle that she wants nothing to do with. Unfortunately, she can't avoid her destiny forever and reluctantly begins to delve deeper
Sharon
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
More of my reviews @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Smokeless Fire is the first book in the Fire Spirits series by Samantha Young and kept me riveted from the first to the very last page.

Eighteen year old Ari Johnson is a little lost, she has no idea what she wants to do with her life now that she has graduated, she is heart-broken over the demise of her long-time friendship with Charlie who has been on a downward spiral since the death of his younger brother, she is living with a poltergei
Nicole
This is one of those books where I'm finding it difficult to write a review. Not because I didn't like it but because I liked it so much. I will try my best to write a meaningful review. When all I want to write is: This novel is amazing go out and get it quickly. The main character Ari is about to turn 18 and has no idea what she wants to do with her life. I found it easy to identify with her since I felt the same way right after high school. Eventually the choice is made for Ari when she find ...more
Melissa
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Samantha Young seriously has an amazing gift with writing. Her ability to mix real mythology with her own creativity is fantastic. She hasn't written a book that I haven't loved and Smokeless Fire did not disappoint.

Where to begin, oh where to begin....

First off, let me start with that the world of Jinn (aka Genies) is freaking awesome. Her ability to describe the kings and their world with such extravagant minutiae is astounding. I literally re-read several parts of the description to make sur
Annika
That was an unexpectedly good read.

I'm usually not a big fan of Samantha Young's work since I tend to dislike her main characters. So I'm quite surprised I really did like both Ari and Jai (Charlie, well...).

I guess the premise isn't anything new in the YA paranormal genre:
Pretty but ordinary girl learns on her 18th birthday that she isn't so ordinary after all. Hot but overbearing guy is hired to protect girl. Girl learns she isn't just not ordinary but some kind of key figure in a war that cou
Claudia
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
While I wanted to like this, because the whole plot is an interesting concept, when I actually read it I was pretty underwhelmed. The problem was the author's portrayal of the main character. I simply did not like Ari. It started when Ari described herself as 'knowing she was pretty' and 'knew she could look good no matter what'. It's that sort of thing that just peeves me off. Charlie was a character who I felt sympathy for but he just kind of lacked personality. Then his behaviour at the end - ...more
Thenia
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The story of Ari, a normal teenager with more or less ordinary problems, discovers she is the opposite of ordinary.

Ari has been struggling with the decisions regarding university and her future, as well as her best friend's self-destructive behavior. She is in love with him and seeing this way hurts her, so she is determined to help him get back on track whether he likes it or not.

Unfortunately, her problems multiply exponentially when she finds herself transported in the world of Jinn and disco
Elle Casey
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really liked it. This is the first book I've read that have jinn (genies) and so it's really original. Samantha Young's website has pictures of the actors she'd like to see play the parts of the main characters and they are just how I pictured them. I'm absolutely on Team Jai. Samantha's good at keeping the reader guessing. I'm not sure how I feel about Charlie. Is he good or bad? Does he have Ari's best interests are heart or is another agenda more important? I can't tell! I have to buy book 2! ...more
Feminista
Jan 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Davor
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time I read a book this good.
The writing is amazing, just amazing. Never read a book whit jinn mythology and I really like it. The characters were really likeable except Charlie, that guy is going on my nerves from the start of the book. Ari and Jai all the way :D
love the humor in the book, oh my dear sarcasm, life is so much funnier with you :)
The mythology was a little bit confusing, but after a few times going back to the start of the book to reread who was who, it was mu
Alessandra Torre
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So... I'm probably the one soul alive who hasn't read On Dublin Street, and I don't read YA or paranormal, and somehow the first SY book I read it this one... I don't know how that happened - but I am now OBSESSED with Samantha Young - I loved this book and it hooked me on the series - I am now reading Fire Spirits #3.

Creative concept, intriguing characters, speedy reading, and a great storyline. Highly recommended!
Coco.V
Mar 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/17/2020)! 🎁
~Elijah~
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of course five stars. :)

I've read alot of different books about avariety of mythical creatures, but never much about the jinn. After reading Smokeless Fire, I'm really wondering why that is. Poking around onWikipedia, the whole Middle Eastern/Mesopotamian mythology that lies at the foundation of this series is fascinating, rich with wonderful depth and possibility for amyriad of stories. In the Fire Spirits series, Samantha Young has imaginatively and successfully taken advantage of this particu
Recommendations? 3 13 Aug 05, 2015 07:38AM
a little confused 5 40 Mar 25, 2013 09:27PM

• Bound by Forever (True Immortality, #3)
  • Kiss of Vengeance (True Immortality, #2)
  • The Mayfair Moon (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #1)
  • War of Hearts (True Immortality, #1)
  • Significance (Significance, #1)
  • Fae Hunter (Tangled Fae #1)
  • Fae Captive (Tangled Fae #2)
  • Whisper
  • Accordance (Significance, #2)
  • Fae Nightmare (Tangled Fae #3)
  • Fae Pursuit (Tangled Fae #4)
  • Fae Conqueror (Tangled Fae #5)
  • Herz aus Schatten
  • Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #2)
  • Ein fliehendes Pferd
  • Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)
  • Wolf Hollow (Wolf Hollow Shifters, #1)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
Samantha Young is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. She's been nominated for several Goodreads Choice Awards. Samantha writes adult contemporary and paranormal romance, YA urban fantasy and YA contemporary fiction and is currently published in 31 countries.
She resides in Scotland.

Fire Spirits (4 books)
  • Scorched Skies (Fire Spirits, #2)
  • Borrowed Ember (Fire Spirits, #3)
  • Darkness, Kindled (Fire Spirits, #4)