Start by marking “Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One” as Want to Read:
Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One

Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One

For the past six years, I have been flown all over the world, put up in great hotels, fed great dinners, introduced to amazing people, offered a microphone, and paid for taking it. And this has been great; I won’t lie. But this microcosmic form of fame comes with baggage just like that other, much bigger kind, and I have learned just how bad things can get when you claim a ...more
Published August 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Deal

Jonathan
Robert Hoekman, Jr is a user experience designer and consultant who is best known for his books about interface design, Designing the Obvious and Designing the Moment. His self-published book Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One tackles a far more personal subject. In Big Deal Hoekman, Jr recounts his rise to the top of the web design field, and describes how his craving for professional notoriety eventually devastated his personal friendships, marriage, and sense of self worth.

The form of
Juliane Roell
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: web people. people aspiring to write biography.
Recommended to Juliane by: -
I enjoyed this. The author wrote the book in 30 days and this is what it reads like: A life story told vividly. (It's also seems well edited - not "rough" or edgy in any way. I read it fluently and with joy.) It is interesting to follow Robert along as he becomes a professional and rises to fame. It is interesting to see how it turns for him. I found it brave how honest he writes about his emotions and his relationship.

The constant self-analysis and altklug voice that goes "this is what I was wh
Thomas
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I gave a full review on the Amazon page for this. The book deeply resonated with me and I read it in one sitting.
Yuri Artibise
Joshua
Jan 31, 2017
Michael
Dec 27, 2018
Robert Hoekman Jr is an American writer and editor and the host of the Spillers podcast and event series. His work has been featured by Fast Company, WIRED, Huckberry, Bike Exif, and others. He has won awards for writing and podcasting. He’s currently damn near finished writing his first novel.