Start by marking “Dagon” as Want to Read:
Dagon

Dagon (The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft )

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,703 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
I am writing this under an appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more. Penniless, and at the end of my supply of the drug which alone, makes life endurable, I can bear the torture no longer; and shall cast myself from this garret window into the squalid street below. Do not think from my slavery to morphine that I am a weakling or a degenerate. When you ...more
Published (first published November 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Dagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dagon

Bill  Kerwin

Apart from juvenilia, this tale (with the exception of “The Tomb”), was the first story Lovecraft wrote. And yet, in the fullness of its vision, it reads like something H.P. might have composed a decade later, on the verge of his most intense explorations.

Written in 1917, it is a contemporary tale of the time of the Great War, which tells of a captured merchant seaman who escapes from a German man-of-war in a small boat equipped with provisions. In mid-ocean, he falls into an uneasy sleep and wa
Lyn
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
In the 2016 bipartisan United States presidential debates.

Announcer: Thank you all for your answers regarding the World Bank. Now, our next topic, the 1919 H.P. Lovecraft short story Dagon.

[All look at each other.]

Bernie: Well, I’ll be the first to say that Lovecraft’s mention of addiction and suicide is why we need more education, and we need to end the ridiculous prohibition of marijuana!

Ted: Also, freedom of religion, if someone wants to worship an ancient Phoenician fish god or even a pre-h
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
FINAL RATING: 4.5 STARS

Dagon remains to be one of my favorite Lovecraft stories to this date. This may be partially due to, and this is debatable, it being that this story is one of the foundations of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which was a monicker given to his weird coherent stories. It was coined by author August Derleth. Again, there may be other stories that some may argue as being the foundation, but either way I think Lovecraft fans and fanatics can agree Dagon was possible one of Lovecra
Scarlet Cameo
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
"De repente, me llamó la atención un objeto singular que había en la ladera opuesta, el cual se erguía enhiesto como a un centenar de yardas de donde estaba yo; objeto que brilló con un resplandor blanquecino al recibir de pronto los primeros rayos de la luna ascendente. "

Este cuento tiene todo lo que esperas de Lovecraft, misterio, atmosfera y un narrador que te hace dudar de todo. La ambientación hace sentir aprisionado y aunque hoy día no parezca terrorífico lo que ha trascendido es la sens
Books, Vertigo and Tea (Danielle)
This is my first encounter with Lovecraft, yet I easily found certain elements contained within these 13 pages to possibly foretell more of what was to come in later tales. I state this purely based on the fact that I am aware this was one of his earliest works and noted several hints geared toward tales that even those such as myself have some vague familiarity with.

I admit that my appreciation for the dark and depressing tale was not instant. It was not until several hours after having complet
Karla
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I haven't read any Lovecraft before (just haven't gotten around to it), and I came across this story via a YouTube voice acting competition.

Link

I'm not sure what I'd think of the story if I straight-out read it, but I like the atmospheric nature of it and the language is plush and evocative with a mysterious ending.

Should really get to Lovecraft one of these days. *looks at TBR & sighs*
Brian
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A man turns to morphine to deal with something he saw. He decides to kill himself, but first explains the experience responsible for making him insane. The world beneath arose, and worshipped stones call to sea-creatures roaming land. One looks like a fish god worshipping stone.

I found it entertaining. Lovecraft never disappoints me.
Netanella
The Man is back.

Thank you, H.P., for "Dagon." After the slop that was "The Tree on the Hill," I needed some redemption from the Master of Creep. And "Dagon" is classic.

I know not why my dreams were so wild that night; but ere the waning and fantastically gibbous moon had risen far above the eastern plain, I was awake in a cold perspiration, determined to sleep no more.

As soon as I read that line early on in the story, my heart gave a little pitter-patter of delight. The gibbous moon. The creepy
Skylar Phelps
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick but very imaginative. I love the premise, good stuff.
Myk Pilgrim
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every time I read this one it gets better.
But be warned it's wordy, very very wordy indeed.
Vicho
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sé que es uno de los relatos más importantes de Lovecraft, pero no me llega a convencer al 100%. O sea... el prota siente un gran temor por una escultura?? yo sentiría curiosidad. La pregunta es si su aislamiento social fue causa del delirio?
Para qué una criatura marina se alejaría del mar para atacarlo??
Creo que es una historia que debe leerse en conjunto con otras del autor.
Baal Of
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, horror, weird
A formative story establishing several of the themes that Lovecraft explores later. Inexplicable events such as the rising from the ocean of a vast plain of slime and rotting fish, which sinks again without a trace. Existential horror at the mere existence of nightmare beings which worship at alien monoliths. Drug induced dreams and ineffective attempts to stave off madness. I found it interesting how little this story has to do with the movie of the same name, which is one of my favorites, but ...more
Michelle Cano
"No puedo pensar en las profundidades del mar sin estremecerme ante las espantosas entidades que quizás en este instante se arrastran y se agitan en su fecho fangoso."
Por fin alguien entiende mi miedo :( jaja
Leena
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75

That was really creepy and disturbing but great nonetheless. Good first experience with Lovecraft
Dk Towers
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Este relato no esta incluido en Los Mitos de Cthulhu, pero sin duda Dagón es uno de los profundos y primigenios. Es mencionado en "La sombra sobre Innsmouth", donde sus hijos son la fuente de todo mal.
María
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He "leído" este libro bajo formato audiolibro y la expericencia ha sido cuando menos, inolvidable. Es muy distinto al que leí "La llamada de Cthulhu", es un formato más cercano a los parámetros del relato, más sencillo y con una narración de primera mano de un protagonista, sin mezclar citas, anotaciones, relatos o recuerdos como ocurriera en el otro libro; aún con eso la sensación es similar, de angustia y profundo desconocimiento.

El vocabulario es mucho menos denso, y aun con eso la sensación
Javier Divalero
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story.
A poor bloke that has been tortured by something he's seen in the past... he's going to cease to be, but first he decided to tell the readers what happened in the Pacific and what was that strange thing he glanced into that dark deep abyss, and why he's been in a constant madness since that...
Guilherme Passos
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terror
Eu pude sentir o frio enquanto lia e a umidade quando fechava os olhos pra pensar um pouco no que li.

Ainda tenho muito o que conhecer de Lovecraft e há anos eu já me enrolava para ler esse que é um dos mais famosos contos da literatura de terror e digo que vale muito à pena.

A história é rápida, com poucas descrições mas do relato do protagonista, tudo é construído na sua mente, você consegue enxergar coisas que não estão no livro em detalhes. O contexto histórico, a chuva lá fora, a noite fria,
AgustinRiddle
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parece chiste marcar que leíste un cuento de 3 páginas JAJAJAJAJAJA. Hoy mientras esperaba en un consultorio, leí en PDF en el celu esta historia súper corta. Muy entretenida y es lo primero que leo de Lovecraft, espectacular.
Joshua Shioshita
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Here we go. To me this is the beginning of my love of Lovecraft and the template for all that later Yog Sothothery. It's like a dry run for for Cthulhu - the nautical backdrop, the disgusting creatures below the sea, the madness of comprehension. Love it.
JamesBellaqua
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este es un cuento fenomenal. A pesar de lo corto que es, te logra intrigar y no parar de leerlo y, por supuesto, desear que hubiera más páginas.

El estilo de Lovecraft es increíble y atrapante.

Un cuento, que te hace dudar en todo momento de todo.
Tanvika
Grotesque aquatic creatures
Honoring fish-god
Madness ensues.
Sara
that creepy but The literary acceptable .
Eye of Sauron
This is my favorite Lovecraft story so far; the thrilling imagery of the suddenly appearing island and the viscerally exciting ideas of the fish-men work well toward their intended purpose. And like many good short stories, maybe an ambiguously possible interpretation might be considered? (view spoiler) Since Lovecraft is known as a horror wri ...more
Molly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first H.P. Lovecraft short story. I'm currently working my way through a top-10 list for beginners. This short story felt very brief (what a surprise?). It seems that there are motifs, symbols etc. that Lovecraft weaves into his stories. For my first read I didn't want to jump right into the most famous texts and by doing this I found that I get to explore his writing style despite my prejudices. 3/5, interesting, liked it, but not out of this world...yet!
Jorge Rosas
It let us see the main style of Lovecraft from his beginnings with his peculiar narrative style and monster thematic, we can also see the madness element. It’s the tale, suicide note, of a castaway who survived and escaped a German attack ship in the Pacific in some unmentioned conflict and ends up in an incomprehensible island with some unexpected company.
Michael Sorbello
A very short yet classic tale that touches on one of my greatest fears. The unknown horrors of the sea and the infinite secrets that it holds within itself. The writing is phenomenal, rivaling the effectiveness of his greatest works that he would go on to write at the end of his career.
Monika
betyg och recension kommer senare
Sarah Marie
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Not all that interesting, but it is well written. Review to come.
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft (1 - 10 of 63 books)
  • The Tomb

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)