Start by marking “A Still, Small Voice” as Want to Read:
A Still, Small Voice

A Still, Small Voice

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
After a student’s accusation of sexual assault destroyed his reputation, Noah Lowe left the teaching career he loved. The school system that should have protected him and an ex-lover who should have known better shattered his confidence, and it took Noah six years and another university degree to finally get his life back on track.

He loves his new job as a computer program
Published September 16th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Still, Small Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Still, Small Voice

Sheri
Well fiddlesticks. This was a big 'ol no go for me.
I don't think I connected with the writing, the characters, or the plot.
I was frequently clicking the dictionary button and re-reading scenes.
The setting is in Canada, so I tried to use this excuse initially, but one of my favoritest favorite authors is Canadian and I never struggle to follow her.
The guys were....nice. Except for Aiden, Noah bestie. I didn't get on with him. He was wayyy to much for me.

The basics:
Noah is a high school teacher
Chris
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Ok m/m romance about a teacher who left his job after being falsely accused of raping a student. Now, six years later, that time comes back to haunt him. The beginning of the book was hampered by awkwardly integrated flashback infodumping, while the end suddenly tried to morph into a mystery without much success.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

A Still, Small Voice is a m/m story that touches on a sensitive issue, and had the potential to be a very powerful tale about letting go, moving on, and living rather than merely existing. I was drawn in to Noah’s world as he was finally able to recount the details of the most devastating event in his life, but sadly, that’s where the potential for a poignant story ended, and this book almost landed on my ‘did not finish’ shelf. I am, however, very glad I stuck it out because in the end, it was
Deeze
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sad to say that after a great start this turned into a big disappointment.

(view spoiler)
Heather♥

I was immediately drawn into the book by Noah's recounting of the humiliation and pain he suffered for being arrested and falsely accused of raping a student. His best friend Aiden was wonderfully supportive and added a lot of humor to the story. But then it felt like we spent way too long taking a trip down memory lane about Noah's relationship with his ex Paul. In fact, I had to re-read the blurb to make sure this wasn't supposed to be about Noah and Paul getting back together. It did
Kristie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked the MC's, but not the best friend. No, he was an annoying ass. The big "thing" was not so big and seriously, how Noah could have let himself brush so much off at the time the charges happened is beyond me.

The parts that were okay were the sweet way Oscar was with Noah. How Noah was with Oscar. They are nice together but I think if it wasn't for Oscar, I'd have not finished the book. Really. That's it. I didn't even really like the sex. I know! ME! Me not liking the sex! What is
Mandi
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
3 stars. Okay read, and well written, but way too much emphasis on the ex in the beginning of the book. (according to my kindle, the two main love interests didn't meet until after the 36% point) I never really connected to Noah or Oscar either.
LaShonta
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-crossdresser
I'm not sure what to say about this one. Let me start I guess by saying what I liked about the book. Not much I'm afraid. I didn't feel a connection between Noah and Oscar at all. It seemed to me Noah was to busy thinking about Paul, his ex. The flashbacks were horrid. They would come out of no where in the middle of the present. It was very nauseating. The constant flashbacks about Paul for 60% of the book was overkill. I actually felt bad for Oscar. I understand you have issues with your ex an ...more
Gaby Franz
Funzee Shu
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was ok

This book begin with very promising start just to end with huge disappointment.

I love the idea at the beginning, but after 50% reading, it turn to be full of sex, sex and just sex.
The story start to loose the grip and what really disappointed me is...there's no "solutions" for what happened to Noah's incidents that had ruined his teaching career years ago.

One thing I LOVE about this book is....the cover.
As coverSLut, the cover had won my heart but still can not help the rating. Sorry...
Meggie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The story of this book was well developed and written. But somehow I didn't connect to neither Noah nor Oscar. The emotions around the plot were real and could feel them, but like I said, I simply didn't connect to this couple.
SheReadsALot
Free until Noon EST 11/7/14

GO! A Still, Small Voice by DW Marchwell is FREE for one hour ONLY in today's #tweetaway! http://t.co/jhxeE3SPQB
Kiki
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I enjoyed it, but awkward digressions into memory and too much focus on the ex at the beginning of the story diluted the impact of the actual romance somewhat.
Kristy Maitz
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointments
D.W. Marchwell really wasted his time with his new book. Plot of this book is idiotic. The start is good and it pulls you in. But then he starts with past/present chapters and as a reader you don't gave a shit about past mostly because Paul character get negative sound from point A.

From my point of view Marchwell also made mistake with Paol character, and then with Oscar which is not interesting in any way.

If the writer don't have anyone who could read book before released day and gave him poin
Jamie's Sassenach
Voto: 3

A livello di trama siamo a un livello nettamente inferiore rispetto ad altri libri di Marchwell. I personaggi secondari sono poco caratterizzati: mi sarebbe piaciuto sapere molto di più su Aiden e Martin. Di quest'ultimo si scopre il nome solo alla fine dopo essere nominato solo una volta prima. Insomma, rispetto alla serie Falling, ripeto, siamo su un altro livello... Anche se è innegabile che Oscar e Noah sono molto bene assortiti. Solo, mi aspettavo di più da un autore che ha scritto s
Jess Candela
Sep 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, dnf, read-in-2011
I didn't get past the first chapter, it was far too full of exposition about past events, left me feeling like a distant observer rather than engaged in the story or characters. And Paul sounded horrible, and I really couldn't understand why Noah would want him or be willing to forgive him. I think that was actually the last straw for me, when Noah thought how he'd forgive Paul in a second if he had the chance.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★☆☆
Ok read. Paul was a dick who was there through the end - yuck!

Noah is the victim of someone else's plot and six years later, he's finally found his footing again and taking a chance on love with Oscar and the skunk who did him wrong moves in down the hall.

Just seemed to take a long time to get to the end.
Karlijn
This was a nice one. Not extremely special but a fast and good read. It was nice to see that there are people who trust the other no matter what, just because they know the other better. Sometimes you hear all thos awful stories about people who thought to could trust somebody and were turn down by them. This story shows that there is still trust and that there are people no matter what.
Kathleen
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Euphoria
This was an enjoyable read. I liked the sort of twisty past/present plot lines altho I got to the point where I was just skipping the sex scenes. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for goodreads.
Carey
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars is generous considering the first 50% of this book bored me to tears. Oscar rescued it tho, so...3 stars
Bruny
Tre stelline e mezzo. Carino ma mi aspettavo forse qualcosa di più. L'inizio un po lento ma dopo si riprende bene. Un finale bello.
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
Noah Birchwood quit his teaching job after a female student accused him of rape and he was arrested. Even though he was exonerated after it was found that the student lied to get back at Noah because he refused to let her manipulate him into giving her better grades. Feeling betrayed by both the school system & his former lover who refused to defend him, he decided to change careers.

Six years later his former lover moved into the apartment across from his disrupting his equilibrium again. Ye
Shelby
I seem to be on a kick of rushed relationships. Not that the pairing is bad or anything, just that they go from I don't know you and I'm not at all interested to I'm in love in 2.5 seconds. This book was just alright in my opinion. Everything sort of made sense in the end but a lot of it seemed very needless. And well there's absolutely no angst or issues between Oscar and Noah. All the issues stemmed from outside forces that were put there more to have some sort of conflict than being an actual ...more
Debbie
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Questo libro mi ha lasciata un po’ perplessa. Leggendo la trama mi aspettavo una storia molto diversa da quella che mi si è presentata davanti.

Noah è ovviamente il protagonista, voce narrante di tutte le vicende. Personaggio ben delineato, molto umano ma anche molto insicuro, soprattutto riguardo all'essere sincero sulla sua sessualità in ambito lavorativo.

Quello che si presume debba essere l’altro protagonista della storia, il timido e taciturno Oscar
Kerry  sullivan
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gblt, romance
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

The Blurb
After a student’s accusation of sexual assault destroyed his reputation, Noah Birchwood left the teaching career he loved. The school system that should have protected him and an ex-lover who should have known better shattered his confidence, and it took Noah six years and another university degree to finally get his life back on track.

He loves his new job as a computer programmer and keeps busy on weekends performing at a drag club w
Larena
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary, Canada

Noah Lowe loved his job as a teacher until the day he was falsely accused of a sexual assault by a student. That was when he had to find another career. Now six years later he has found a career he loves more but he still needs to rebuild the confidence he lost due to the accusations. Noah is now a computer programmer during the day and a drag queen with his best friend, Aiden in the evenings he is finally finding a measure of happiness that they accusation stole from him.

O
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Dreamspinner Press: A Still, Small Voice by D.W. Marchwell 10 41 Sep 19, 2011 03:36PM
  • Spark (North Star, #1)
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Patient Privilege
  • Fallout
  • Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)
  • Island House (Dropping Anchor #1)
  • Submerging Inferno (Men of Myth, #1)
  • The British Devil
  • Diplomacy
  • First Flight
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • Run for the Roses (Circles #1)
  • But Not For Me
  • Hot Mess
  • Wayward Grace
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • The Magic Broom
When D. W. Marchwell is not teaching future generations the wonders of science, he can usually be found hiking, writing, riding horses, trying new recipes, or searching for and lovingly restoring discarded antique furniture. A goofy and incurable romantic, D.W. admits that his stories are inspired by actual events and has a soft spot for those where boy not only meets boy but also turns out to be ...more
More about D.W. Marchwell...