Start by marking “Candle in the Attic Window” as Want to Read:
Candle in the Attic Window

Candle in the Attic Window

Gothic fiction is neither dead nor musty. Twenty-seven poems and stories bring fresh blood to the sub-genre while drawing from old tropes. Welcome to our little house of horrors where a movie crew searches for a legendary missing film, a woman seeks to reunite with her dead lover, a lodger discovers something peculiar about the landlady, a Tarot deck brings death and ghost ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Innsmouth Free Press (first published September 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Candle in the Attic Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candle in the Attic Window

Start your review of Candle in the Attic Window
Arinn Dembo
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this book recently. I kept it beside my bed throughout the holidays like a box of chocolates, picking it up to read it one story at a time, so that I could savor each piece.

I can see why this book might have difficulty finding its intended audience. It has a serious problem: it's billed as a tribute volume of sorts, an anthology of Gothic horror, but the vast majority of the work being done here is just MUCH TOO ORIGINAL.

There are only one or tw
Wendy S. Delmater
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Would I review a book of Gothic fiction? Well, one of the few types of romances I enjoy are Gothic romances – and I love Gothic mysteries. It’s horror supposedly, but its Gothic horror, or things inspired by it, and while I am not a horror fan when they referenced Hitchcock’s Rebecca in the intro, I thought sure, why not?

I was therefore graced with a copy of Candle in the Attic Window. This short story and poetry collection is at times whimsical, and at other times quite disturbing. It read
Barrymore Tebbs
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
The title of this book, Candle in the Attic Window: An Anthology of Gothic Horror is very misleading. In the introduction, the editors explain it "is an anthology featuring some of the classic Gothic themes, as interpreted by modern writers....The aim of the anthology is not to reproduce exactly the Gothic fiction of yore, but to bring a new spin to it."

Beyond the opening poem, A Fixer-Upper by Amanda C. Davis which is delightful, and the first short story, The Seventh Picture by Orrin Grey, wh
I hate to say it but I just couldn't get on with this one, I only read the first 3 stories / poems in the anthology but it's been 20 days since I last picked it up and I haven't been able to bring myself to go back to it.

It's not that the stories are bad, I just don't think this is my kind of thing so don't let me put you off giving it a try.
Kitty Sarkozy
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
A few of the stories were good, but not many.

Several were very bad. Unlike many anthologies the best stories are not near the front, so I almost gave up on this. But I did find a few that I liked.
James Steimle
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories. Of course, I especially liked the one by Jim Blackstone--author of INTERFERENCE--connecting some of the Knights Templar with the Elder knowledge from H.P. Lovecraft.
Innmsouthfp
Nov 18, 2017
Jessie
Sep 21, 2011
Paul Jessup
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nick
Sep 24, 2011
ѦѺ™
Mar 30, 2012
E.
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Frances
Dec 12, 2011
Scott Rassbach
Dec 18, 2012
Wood Dickinson
Dec 22, 2015
Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of several novels, including Gods of Jade and Shadow. She has also edited a number of anthologies, including the World Fantasy Award-winning She Walks in Shadows (a.k.a. Cthulhu's Daughters). Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination.