Start by marking “The Blue Bistro” as Want to Read:
The Blue Bistro

The Blue Bistro

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  26,265 ratings  ·  2,001 reviews
Elin Hilderbrand, author of the enchanting Summer People and The Beach Club, invites you to experience the perfect getaway with her sparkling new novel.

Adrienne Dealey has spent the past six years working for hotels in exotic resort towns. This summer she has decided to make Nantucket home. Left flat broke by her ex-boyfriend, she is desperate to earn some fast money. When
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Press

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  26,265 ratings  ·  2,001 reviews

Start your review of The Blue Bistro
Melissa
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction, 2017
There’s some sort of magic in the air at The Blue Bistro—the food, the ambiance, the people—take your pick, it’s all intoxicating.

If you haven’t found the time to read an Elin Hilderbrand yet (Ahem . . . what are you waiting for?!), be prepared to make a new entry on your bucket list—a trip to Nantucket or maybe even two. Making a choice between sun and sand or holiday cheer during Winter Stroll might seem easy (I'm a beach girl!), but then again, I’m not so sure. All I know is, after being tra
Kate Worth
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
The Blue Bistro is about a woman in her late twenties named Adrienne who comes to a crisis point in her life after her boyfriend, a drug addicted, unemployed loser, steals her life savings and thousands more from her employer. She turns him in to the police and flees town, heading to Nantucket where she hopes to find the next in a long line of hotel resort jobs she has worked since graduating from college.

Adrienne has made a string of bad romantic choices, opting consistently for men who are emo
Stacey
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this. 1. Thatcher was so selfish it drove me nuts. 2. The ending. I want to know what's next for Thatcher and Adrienne. 3. What about Dr. Don's wedding?? A good portion was spent on the wedding and Adrienne's acceptance of Mavis. How does Dr. Don feel about Thatcher now? As long as it took me to finish this book, I feel a little let down.
Allison Floyd
Every so often I like to pretend I'm an open-minded person. So, one day, when I am innocently shelving this book in the course of my library duties, and for some reason it catches my eye, I check it out and think to myself, why not? I almost never read this kind of thing, so why not try something that goes against my grain? After all, I reason, as a writer, shouldn't I read as widely and voraciously as possible, including stuff I wouldn't normally?

And hey, I like mental mashed potatoes, fluffy
Myrna
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Another great beach read by this author. The Nantucket setting, a little romance and a slight mystery makes this a charming chick-lit book. I was not expecting to read the ins and outs of the restaurant business but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 3+ stars but not quite 4.
kim-d
Nov 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book...until I got to the last few pages. It ended so abruptly and not in keeping with the rest of the book...it was like the author got sick of writing it and just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. It was a fairly lengthy book, so why not add a few more pages and have a more well-developed ending; I think it would have been worth it.

With Elin Hilderbrand books, you always pretty much know what you're going to get but, since this one was set in a restaurant, it was a
Tricia
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few books by this author and normally really love reading them. This book was quite different for me. The plot being focused on the restaurant and food became tiresome as the book progressed. Also, I did not find myself rooting for the main characters to be together. A guy who is controlling, deceiptful, and doesn't drink but requires you to get drunk is not a good person for you to be around. Also, he takes her to dinner but doesn't eat - weird! At the end of the book I foun ...more
Alli
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reads
Quick Summary - The Blue Bistro follows a woman with a transient lifestyle as a hotel concierge who starts a job as a Nantucket restaurant assistant manager after being left penniless by her scumbag boyfriend. Over the course of the novel she learns the ways of the restaurant world, rubs shoulders with important and wealthy Nantucket residents, makes friends, and finds love.

The Blue Bistro is an okay beach read - I went in with exactly those expectations and, after the slow-ish start up, was fa
Kathleen Crowell
Okay, I just didn't get the obsessive friendship between Fiona and Thatcher. It sure seemed one-sided--all on Thatcher's side. I felt for Fiona, who wouldn't but show a little something--ANYTHING that resembles warmth or friendship. Sure I get really strong, solid friendship--but why did this friendship have to be sooo dramatic to the exclusion of all else for Thatcher? That said, there were some really touching moments between Thatcher and Adrienne--not fully developed, but I felt them. I was t ...more
Emily
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tif
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually LOVED the restaurant aspect of this book. The author did an amazing job of describing the ambiance, the food, the patrons and the staff. It made me want to cook gourmet food and eat at gourmet restaurants. The "love" story on the other hand was forced, under-developed, annoying and unbelievable. I didn't like the male lead character at all--ever. This would have been an excellent book if the author stuck to the restaurant drama alone and steered clear of the love story.

This was a rom
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Title: "Blue Bistro" (a Nantucket Novel - stand alone)
Author: Elin Hilderbrand
Published: GoodReads shows dates in both 2005 & 2006; I need to follow up on the actual US date.
Genre: fiction, adult fiction, drama, romance, ? Chick-lit, ? Beach read.
Read: April 19-20, 2012
Format: ebook via Nook Color ereader by Barnes and Noble.

My GoodReads rating: 4.5 of 5 stars.

Brief remarks:

Yet another instance of me longing for half stars! lol... I give this novel a very solid 4.5, though it is "on the bubble"
Karen
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took this on a flight recently - perfectly light and digestible - just what I needed to while away 17 hours in the air. Set in Nantucket, story centers around the Blue Bistro, her staff and her patrons. Just enough romance without being too gushy. I will look for more Elin Hilderbrand to read during the summer (as I think she is the perfect author to read while you are laying in the sun).
Ellen
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elin Hilderbrand is such a wonderful writer. I seriously could not put this book down and read it in a day. I loved reading about Nantucket and the high-end restaurant business--the employees were like a real family. Adrienne, Thatcher and Finoa were great characters--I want to know more! This is recommended!
Judy
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! I still think about those crackers they ate at night!
Heather
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I didn't love it. I thought the description of all the restaurant activity was unnecessary. I kept wondering, "Where is this GOING?" Also, the boss in the story irritated me by not only encouraging his assistant manager to drink, but practically forcing her to drink while she worked. Why would a recovering alcoholic who has to attend AA meetings push alcohol onto someone he cares about?

But I kept reading.

Eventually, the boss grew on me by his undying and
Jean
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Schindler
Zach
I was fortunate enough to get to meet Elin Hilderbrand at a book signing and meet and greet last night at the Free Library of Philadelphia. She was just as friendly and wonderful as I would have expected. It was great to hear how she grew up around here in Collegeville and spent her summers in Ocean City prior to discovering the beaches of Nantucket. While fielding questions, the revealed that The Blue Bistro was her favorite book out of all her works (something that I already knew and why it ha ...more
JoNel
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's really a 2.5 for me. I found the story predictable. I did get a kick out of the kitchen and bar staff, except for Fiona. To me the minor characters were almost more fleshed out than the majors. Overall-eh.
Jillian
1.5 Stars. The Blue Bistro is a standalone book told in 3rd person POV. This is the first book that I have tried by this author. I don’t think I will go for a second at this time. This book is about main character Adrienne who gets screwed over by her last boyfriend and picks up and moves to another town, which is something she does anytime anything emotional happens in her life. She finds a job at The Blue Bistro, getting hired by the co-owner and love interest in the story, Thatcher. She had a ...more
Hanna Bastin
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to cry this book was so beautiful. One of Elin’s best in my opinion. I was hooked from the very beginning and loved the story set around the upscale restaurant- The Blue Bistro. I also need to admire her for shedding light on Cystic Fibrosis throughout this book. She uses a great platform to raise awareness to such a terrible disease.
Sherri Thacker
I enjoyed the story very much! This is the 7th book I’ve read by Elin Hildebrand and I always enjoy her stories. Looking forward to many more from her!!
Toni
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Beautiful, heartbreaking, wonderful! Definitely read or listen to this early bestseller of Elin’s. I’m just wondering what took me so long.

PS. The answer: my daughter was a junior in HS at the time of publication and applying to colleges. Anyone familiar with this type of torture will understand. 😬
Jean Brown
Jonna Rubin
Eh, had I read this in a day, fine. I read it over several, because I don't have the time to finish a book in a day in winter. Or ever, but let's pretend it's a winter thing.

For a beach read, this would have been fine. For a regular read, ugh. Thatcher sucked. His relationship with Fiona was just flat-out weird. Yes, he was devoted to her. Fine. But the devotion took a weird turn and never really rallied to normal levels after that. "I love you, Adrienne." Great. "But I love Fiona, too." What? N
Kelly Renee
My coworker recommended that I read this because it was her favorite book (...) and I would like to say that I was relieved that it wasn't the typical beach, romance novel I was expecting from Hilderbrand (and the cover art. This novel was truly focused on the restaurant industry, with a very subtle and non-obtrusive romance going on in the background. The reason I gave this 2 stars instead of the 3 I was planning on giving it as a simple, easy book that I amused me, is my issue with the main ch ...more
Caryn
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me hungry. For food, yes. But also for a desire to spend a summer on Nantucket to explore the beaches and restaurants. I was enthralled in this love story and how they kept this busy restaurant running. Good and light start to the new year.
N.N. Light
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet touch story. Reminded me of my time on the Cape. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5 stars
Shalimar Cabrera
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one from already one of my favorite authors! The kind of book where the setting is so vivid and the characters so lovable that I wanted to google them or find them on Facebook, and make reservations at The Blue Bistro. Fiction at it's best! Love a great, light summer beach read.

• Big Summer
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Open Book
  • In Five Years
  • The Islanders
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand