Start by marking “The Blue Bistro” as Want to Read:
The Blue Bistro

The Blue Bistro

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  21,475 ratings  ·  1,649 reviews
Elin Hilderbrand, author of the enchanting Summer People and The Beach Club, invites you to experience the perfect getaway with her sparkling new novel.

Adrienne Dealey has spent the past six years working for hotels in exotic resort towns. This summer she has decided to make Nantucket home. Left flat broke by her ex-boyfriend, she is desperate to earn some fast money. When
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Bistro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Bistro

·  21,475 ratings  ·  1,649 reviews

Melissa
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, womens-fiction
There’s some sort of magic in the air at The Blue Bistro—the food, the ambiance, the people—take your pick, it’s all intoxicating.

If you haven’t found the time to read an Elin Hilderbrand yet (Ahem . . . what are you waiting for?!), be prepared to make a new entry on your bucket list—a trip to Nantucket or maybe even two. Making a choice between sun and sand or holiday cheer during Winter Stroll might seem easy (I'm a beach girl!), but then again, I’m not so sure. All I know is, after being tra
Kate Worth
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
The Blue Bistro is about a woman in her late twenties named Adrienne who comes to a crisis point in her life after her boyfriend, a drug addicted, unemployed loser, steals her life savings and thousands more from her employer. She turns him in to the police and flees town, heading to Nantucket where she hopes to find the next in a long line of hotel resort jobs she has worked since graduating from college.

Adrienne has made a string of bad romantic choices, opting consistently for men who are emo
Allison Floyd
Every so often I like to pretend I'm an open-minded person. So, one day, when I am innocently shelving this book in the course of my library duties, and for some reason it catches my eye, I check it out and think to myself, why not? I almost never read this kind of thing, so why not try something that goes against my grain? After all, I reason, as a writer, shouldn't I read as widely and voraciously as possible, including stuff I wouldn't normally?

And hey, I like mental mashed potatoes, fluffy
Stacey
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this. 1. Thatcher was so selfish it drove me nuts. 2. The ending. I want to know what's next for Thatcher and Adrienne. 3. What about Dr. Don's wedding?? A good portion was spent on the wedding and Adrienne's acceptance of Mavis. How does Dr. Don feel about Thatcher now? As long as it took me to finish this book, I feel a little let down.
Myrna
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Another great beach read by this author. The Nantucket setting, a little romance and a slight mystery makes this a charming chick-lit book. I was not expecting to read the ins and outs of the restaurant business but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 3+ stars but not quite 4.
kim-d
Nov 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book...until I got to the last few pages. It ended so abruptly and not in keeping with the rest of the book...it was like the author got sick of writing it and just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. It was a fairly lengthy book, so why not add a few more pages and have a more well-developed ending; I think it would have been worth it.

With Elin Hilderbrand books, you always pretty much know what you're going to get but, since this one was set in a restaurant, it was a
Alli
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reads
Quick Summary - The Blue Bistro follows a woman with a transient lifestyle as a hotel concierge who starts a job as a Nantucket restaurant assistant manager after being left penniless by her scumbag boyfriend. Over the course of the novel she learns the ways of the restaurant world, rubs shoulders with important and wealthy Nantucket residents, makes friends, and finds love.

The Blue Bistro is an okay beach read - I went in with exactly those expectations and, after the slow-ish start up, was fa
Tricia
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few books by this author and normally really love reading them. This book was quite different for me. The plot being focused on the restaurant and food became tiresome as the book progressed. Also, I did not find myself rooting for the main characters to be together. A guy who is controlling, deceiptful, and doesn't drink but requires you to get drunk is not a good person for you to be around. Also, he takes her to dinner but doesn't eat - weird! At the end of the book I foun ...more
Emily
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Title: "Blue Bistro" (a Nantucket Novel - stand alone)
Author: Elin Hilderbrand
Published: GoodReads shows dates in both 2005 & 2006; I need to follow up on the actual US date.
Genre: fiction, adult fiction, drama, romance, ? Chick-lit, ? Beach read.
Read: April 19-20, 2012
Format: ebook via Nook Color ereader by Barnes and Noble.

My GoodReads rating: 4.5 of 5 stars.

Brief remarks:

Yet another instance of me longing for half stars! lol... I give this novel a very solid 4.5, though it is "on the bub
Kathleen Crowell
Okay, I just didn't get the obsessive friendship between Fiona and Thatcher. It sure seemed one-sided--all on Thatcher's side. I felt for Fiona, who wouldn't but show a little something--ANYTHING that resembles warmth or friendship. Sure I get really strong, solid friendship--but why did this friendship have to be sooo dramatic to the exclusion of all else for Thatcher? That said, there were some really touching moments between Thatcher and Adrienne--not fully developed, but I felt them. I was t ...more
Karen
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took this on a flight recently - perfectly light and digestible - just what I needed to while away 17 hours in the air. Set in Nantucket, story centers around the Blue Bistro, her staff and her patrons. Just enough romance without being too gushy. I will look for more Elin Hilderbrand to read during the summer (as I think she is the perfect author to read while you are laying in the sun).
Ellen
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elin Hilderbrand is such a wonderful writer. I seriously could not put this book down and read it in a day. I loved reading about Nantucket and the high-end restaurant business--the employees were like a real family. Adrienne, Thatcher and Finoa were great characters--I want to know more! This is recommended!
Judy
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! I still think about those crackers they ate at night!
Heather
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I didn't love it. I thought the description of all the restaurant activity was unnecessary. I kept wondering, "Where is this GOING?" Also, the boss in the story irritated me by not only encouraging his assistant manager to drink, but practically forcing her to drink while she worked. Why would a recovering alcoholic who has to attend AA meetings push alcohol onto someone he cares about?

But I kept reading.

Eventually, the boss grew on me by his undying and
Tif
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually LOVED the restaurant aspect of this book. The author did an amazing job of describing the ambiance, the food, the patrons and the staff. It made me want to cook gourmet food and eat at gourmet restaurants. The "love" story on the other hand was forced, under-developed, annoying and unbelievable. I didn't like the male lead character at all--ever. This would have been an excellent book if the author stuck to the restaurant drama alone and steered clear of the love story.

This was a rom
Holly Schindler
JoNel
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's really a 2.5 for me. I found the story predictable. I did get a kick out of the kitchen and bar staff, except for Fiona. To me the minor characters were almost more fleshed out than the majors. Overall-eh.
Sherri Thacker
I enjoyed the story very much! This is the 7th book I’ve read by Elin Hildebrand and I always enjoy her stories. Looking forward to many more from her!!
Toni
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Beautiful, heartbreaking, wonderful! Definitely read or listen to this early bestseller of Elin’s. I’m just wondering what took me so long.

PS. The answer: my daughter was a junior in HS at the time of publication and applying to colleges. Anyone familiar with this type of torture will understand. 😬
Jean Brown
Zach
I was fortunate enough to get to meet Elin Hilderbrand at a book signing and meet and greet last night at the Free Library of Philadelphia. She was just as friendly and wonderful as I would have expected. It was great to hear how she grew up around here in Collegeville and spent her summers in Ocean City prior to discovering the beaches of Nantucket. While fielding questions, the revealed that The Blue Bistro was her favorite book out of all her works (something that I already knew and why it ha ...more
Jean
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Caryn
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me hungry. For food, yes. But also for a desire to spend a summer on Nantucket to explore the beaches and restaurants. I was enthralled in this love story and how they kept this busy restaurant running. Good and light start to the new year.
Shalimar Cabrera
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one from already one of my favorite authors! The kind of book where the setting is so vivid and the characters so lovable that I wanted to google them or find them on Facebook, and make reservations at The Blue Bistro. Fiction at it's best! Love a great, light summer beach read.
Jaime Arkin
I really really wish that goodreads would implement half stars - I truly enjoyed this book - I'd probably give it a 3.5 stars - but I didn't want to mark it down to three.

at 28, Adrienne Dealey has had pretty bad luck when it comes to relationships in her life. The latest was a doozy! Doug ended up stealing all her savings and stealing from customers of the resort she managed and in order to get some perspective she decides to leave town for the summer, heading to Nantucket.

On her ferry trip, a
Sifra (brilliant bookshelf)
description
Read this review at Brilliant Bookshelf

I expected The Blue Bistro to be an easy read, something you can take with you to the beach or the park to lose your mind in for a couple of hours, and it turned out to be exactly that. The plot is somewhat predictable but this very predictability and summer setting make it an enjoyable summer read. You don't have to make the gears in your brain work to figure out details as the plot progresses, and sometimes that is just the kind of book you need.

One part
Jennefer
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having loved Hilderbrand's books, Silver Girl, Barefoot, The Island, etc. I am on a mission to read all of Hilderbrand’s books! Which led me to The Blue Bistro and just like her others this book did not disappoint! In fact I think this is one of my top favorites from her thus far. I have to say I was getting sick of all the cheating Elin likes to incorporate into most stories and thou there was still mention of this with a side character it wasn’t the main focus in this story.
The Blue Bis
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
4.5 stars.

I get stingy with 5 stars, but this was really good. I looked forward to picking it up at the end of the day, the only time I usually read.

An appropriate title for this novel would've been The Last Call... for many reasons. Those of you who have read it will understand why... the bell, Fiona's circumstances, and the closing of the Blue Bistro at the end of summer. This is not a spoiler as it is disclosed early on, when Adrienne, the main character in this novel is hired to work there.
Yvonne
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to her ex-boyfriend, Adrienne Dealey is left broke and in desperate need of a job. Her experience is working the front desks of hotels in exotic places. Now, she finds herself in Nantucket and looking for someone to hire her. The owner of the posh, popular restaurant The Blue Bistro, Thatcher Smith, is willing to give Adrienne the chance to be his assistant manager. Adrienne doesn’t hide the fact that she has no restaurant experience at all. Thatcher’s fine with that. He will teach her al ...more
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Seven Year Switch
  • Once in Every Life
  • The Secret of Everything
  • The Summer Of Us
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key, #3)
  • Beach Colors
  • Deep Down True
  • The Professors' Wives' Club
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
“He has never known a woman so free from conceit, vanity, ambition, pretense. He has never known a woman so willing to show the world that she is a human being.” 10 likes
“Fee’s afraid,” he said quietly. “And fear does strange things to people.” 0 likes