Start by marking “War and Peas” as Want to Read:
War and Peas

War and Peas (Jane Jeffry #8)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  974 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Suburban Chicago housewife and part-time sleugh Jane Jeffry returns in her eighth cozy mystery in an award-winning series. Jane Jeffry is a cross between Miss Marple and Erma Bombeck.--Mysteries by Mail.
Published 1996 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about War and Peas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War and Peas

Annette
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has read a book by Jill Churchill will recognize that she is a very talented author who provides mystery with a wonderful sense of humor.

This book is exactly that, a mystery filled with terrific humor.

As the story opens, Jane and Shelley are in the hot sun, crossing a field during a Civil War re-enactment. The conditions for both women are very uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as it is for the woman who is dead.

This re-enactment is part of the celebration sponsored by the Snel
Gail
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Jane Jeffry mystery for several years. This one is not as good as I remember the others were.
Drebbles
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
It is the annual Pea Festival in Jane Jeffrey's hometown and Jane and her friend Shelley Nowack are participating in a number of activities including sorting through items at the Snellin Museum and taking part in a Civil War reenactment. Jane thought the reenactment would be interesting, but she wasn't expecting museum director Regina Price Palmer to be murdered during the battle. Jane's boyfriend, police detective Mel Van Dyne, is investigating the case, but Jane's work inside the museum gives ...more
Kim
Jan 15, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANyone
A Jane Jeffry Mystery

In the Burbs outside Chicago next door neighbors Jane Jeffry and Shelley Novak Who's (whose?) quirky community seems full of murderous intent, the two friends always seem to end up stumbling (or is it bumbling?) over corpses. They sift through the scandalous mystery of motives, agendas and gossip. It's not all serious but it is definitely not as funny as the Stephanie Plum series.

This story there's a Pea festival put on by the Pea museum. (really?) This year it even has som
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Cozy mystery series usually have a general theme. Jane's a stay at home mom who participates in the PTA and has preformed volunteer work numerous times during the series. Therefore, this specific series doesn't have much that holds it together and the theme varies as to what Jane is involved with in each specific book. Because of this, it's difficult to go into the books knowing what to expect. One book may have everything you love in a mystery and the next could easily bore you.

In War and Peas,
Dharia Scarab
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Pat
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The legendary "Pea King" is dead. Jane Jeffry & friend Shelley Nowack have part-time jobs at the Snellen Museum, an institution dedicated to legumes & local lore. As always there, Jane & Shelley have to do their detective work trying to find out who murdered the museum's director. This author is a slow read but the books always end up with which one done it to the very end.
George
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Jane Jeffry mystery series. In this one, Jane and her friend Natalie become involved in two murders at a museum they are volunteering at. Jane and Natalie work through the various clues and piece things together as they work their way through the various secondary issues in the story.
Carol
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Jane Jeffry series and this one did not disappoint! Set in a museum dedicated to peas, yes peas, and filled with petty and not so petty jealousies it's a fast read and even has a little humoe in it. It would be fun to be Jane or Shelley and have adventures in my neighborhood like they do!

Mary Newcomb
The local museum director is killed during a Civil War re-enactment. Jane and Shelley learn about that and much more while volunteering there. My local museum does not offer that level of intrigue to its volunteers. Hmm!

Sandra Strange
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
These cozies are harmless and entertaining, especially if you are a homemaker and mother who can relate to the protagonist's stresses (although she sure finds time to eat with her friend at nice restaurants A LOT). The plots are ok, but not overly complex. Fun light reading.
Mollie
Feb 25, 2009 marked it as wishlist
War and Peas (Jane Jeffry Mysteries, No. 8) by Jill Churchill (1997)
Dee
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another light read from Jill Churchill's character, Jane Jeffry, and friend, Shelley.
Raven Ivanov
The last of my currently reading books...I think lol. This mystery is a bit slow for me but who knows it could pick up.
Barbara
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the way this author writes her mystery books. I also like to read books in a series.
angeljoy
War And Peas was ok, but I feel that some of her other books in this series are better. Maybe I've just outgrown these...
Elicia Holly
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, anyone that loves mystery will love jill Churchill! She's exceptional!
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cozy series
Laurie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little slow for my liking. Just about the time I thought I would put it down, it got interesting.
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Again, I had a hard time caring about the victim. The story does contain some odd facts about peas and re-enactors. And hey, there is a whole museum dedicated to peas?
Joanie
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane and Shelley worked at the "Pea Museum" and tried to solve a recent murder. This was and funny but entertaining, amusing and mysterious!
Mosunflower
A"cozy" mystery that makes an easy read while vacationing. But over-all the story is pretty weak.
Jane
Jun 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A patron recommended this book to me but I did not like it. Did not even get through the 2nd chapter.
Kathy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book - easy read
Moriss Binobo
Jul 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: C
Joanne
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To me this book and characters were boring. Had trouble picking it up to finish it.
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Civil War re-enactment.
Pea museum.
Director and Assistant Director killed.
Peas - seeds in stuffed cat.
Elaine
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
what...... That ending came out of nowhere. Reminded me of the Law & Order where the blonde ass't DA quit.
Stef
Jun 18, 2008
Cindy
Mar 27, 2015
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #11)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • Fat Free and Fatal (Savannah Reid, #12)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)