Start by marking “La storia dei sogni danesi ” as Want to Read:
La storia dei sogni danesi

La storia dei sogni danesi

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Nel Cinquecento il conte di Mørkhøi, studiando le predizioni di Paracelso, scopre che il corso della storia porrà fine all'aristocrazia. Incapace di accettare questo pensiero, il conte decide di arrestare il flusso del tempo, bloccando tutti gli orologi del suo castello. Il piano sembra riuscire visto che l'aristocratico è ancora vivo per festeggiare il capodanno del 1900. ...more
Published September 1999 by Mondadori (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about La storia dei sogni danesi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La storia dei sogni danesi

Debbie Zapata
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dar
I've read and enjoyed two others by this author, but this book (his first) defeated me in many ways. I was intrigued at the beginning, lost focus in the middle, and just wanted it over by the end.

Too befuddled to say more. I usually need two readings to really 'get' what he is talking about anyway, but I don't think I have the energy to face this one again.
Kelly
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
It isn't the fault of this book. I've just read all this before- depths of European mourning of the past, the freezing of the present, the absurdities that go along with ancient cultures. I only got to the first two chapters and I didn't feel that I needed to go any farther. The first chapter was a straightforward metaphor with one or two grotesque images and nothing surprised me in the second.

Just read Gormenghast instead. You'll get the same message, less nationally specific, and with even mor
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book has been called "The Danish Gormenghast," which intrigued me. I love Denmark. I love Gormenghast. Sign me up!

It started strong. The opening stories had a fairy-tale quality that felt very much like a journey through a nation's collective unconscious. To my delight, there were echoes of Andersen. And it was because of Andersen's influence that I gave Høeg the benefit of the doubt when he started talking shit about spoiled princesses...which segued into talking shit about eating disorder
И~N
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a literature delight, Marquez-scaled saga, situated in two-century scope of the Danish history. Høeg observes the changes in the social environment along with the inner ties of life, penetrating the lives of the characters, embodying the places they abide, vibing in the tunes of their dreams.
A pure delicacy of slow reading adventure.
Isla McKetta
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The story was so rich that I often would fall asleep after reading only a few pages. Thus, reading it took forever but I was glad to be immersed in this book. For more about how the author uses ambiguity to create layers of meaning in a dreamworld, check out my blog.
GoldGato
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, autumn
My bookshelves were missing a Danish flavour, so I purchased this volume to fill that rather glaring hole. Rather like Denmark itself, I was left somewhat ambivalent after finishing this...not sure if it was really great magical realism or just too much northern depression.

Hoeg sketches a family representing the Danish transition from medieval times (and charm) to modern society (20th-century conformity). I was completely absorbed in the story of the aristocrat who seals off his estate and makes
Akira Watts
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know Høeg only through Smilla's Sense of Snow, an entertaining and well done work that never exactly blew me away. This book, though, blew away. It feels like Calvino or Marquez mixed with something not at all like either.

The writing is stunning and surreal and Høeg plays game after game with the reader's expectations. It moves from fairytale to a weird Danish Gatsby to a piercing psychological study and back. And in the end, it is deeply moving.

I pretty clearly need to reevaluate my opinion
Tuco
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La storia dei sogni danesi è un romanzo magico che ricostruisce le storie di una famiglia attraverso le varie generazioni, a partire dal 1500 fino agli Sessanta del Novecento; non vi è un narratore onnisciente a raccontarci le vicende ma una ricostruzione in prima persona basata su testimonianze, documenti e storie tramandate, cosicché il narratore ci mette a parte di quanto ha scoperto e prova a ipotizzare le motivazioni dei vari personaggi basandosi sui rispettivi caratteri, ambienti sociali e ...more
Stephen Durrant
I know little of Denmark and Danish history, so much of this novel probably went over my head. Here and there, though, the commentary on Denmark is so broad and direct that it can hardly be missed, and it is both funny and bitter. For example, "While her guests discuss the excellent warming qualities of angora and the merits of sulfur powder and how Copenhagen museums have so many lovely plaster figures, what they are in actuality discussing is the big questions of life: love and money and relig ...more
yb
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have much to say about this novel. I think I enjoyed it because it held me hostage most of the fall and winter - a type of literary Stockholm Syndrome. It was funny and absurd at times, with ridiculous, larger than life characters. In the end, though, none of the absurdity led to any meaningful conclusions or resolutions - just gratitude at finally being free.
  • Den forsvundne fuldmægtig
  • Silence in October
  • The Ambassador
  • Zeptej se táty
  • Prince
  • The Axe (The Master of Hestviken, #1)
  • Ehrengard
  • Kadri
  • Kongens fald
Peter Høeg was born in Copenhagen, Denmark. Before becoming a writer, he worked variously as a sailor, ballet dancer, and actor. He published his first novel, A History of Danish Dreams (1988), to positive reviews. However, it was Smilla’s Sense of Snow (1992), a million-copy best seller, that earned Høeg immediate and international literary celebrity. His books have been published in more than th ...more
More about Peter Høeg...