Start by marking “The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)” as Want to Read:
The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)

The Usual Apocalypse

(The Society #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  253 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Relationships can be tricky when people can't lie to you, so Agent Matthew Whitman focuses his unusual powers on solving cases for the Society. When a fellow agent is found murdered, Matt is given a major assignment: find her killer. First he must find Brennan Mitchell, whose brother was a victim in the murdered agent's last case.

For sixteen years Brennan thought his
Published September 26th 2011 by Carina Press (first published September 2011)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
Nikyta

In all honesty, I'm kind of speechless on what I want to say in this review. I absolutely loved this book. It caught my attention and held it to the point all I wanted to do with my day is read it. I loved it so much, I'm willing to overlook a few things but it's still so hard for me to properly rate the story. God, why can't GR just give us half stars?!?!

Matt is a detective for an agency that deals with paranormal crimes. He meets Brennan when he makes a promise to someone on a
Chris
4.5 stars. Very good paranormal m/m romantic suspense about an agent who works for a paranormal investigation organization and is very good at his job because people can't lie to him. Usually. When he takes over an internal affairs investigation because the previous investigator and her husband were found murdered in their beds, he has no idea that his life is about to change irrevocably in multiple ways.

I didn't realize that there was a previous book ( In Darkness Bound ). I see some reviewers
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book had sweet lovin, lots of action, wonderful suspense and a touch of drama perfect for me, and just what I needed to fill my weekend. This is a new aurthor to me, and wow, a simply splendid find!
Tammy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 ⭐'s for me. It was good but I just wish I felt more of a connection between Matt and Brennan. It was more of a suspense who done it and work was Matt's whole world mostly. There at the 75% mark of the book Matt had a decision to make and unfortunately work won out 🤨

The other disappointment was not more interaction with the previous characters Chris, Vance and Simon from the first book. Chris was in there twice but nothing was said about his other boyfriends AT ALL!?!?? I wish we
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 3/30/17!
Mandapanda
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly good paranormal mystery/romance novel. Matt is an agent with the Society, a secret organisation that polices the paranormal. He's a workaholic, obsessed with his job and spending long hours and nights at the office. His paranormal ability is that people are unable to lie to him. A follow up on an old case leads him to Brennan, a vet who also has psychic powers and, despite that fact that neither man is good with commitment, the two are drawn into a relationship. At the same time a ...more
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
I've read this book twice, first the normal way, then the audiobook some years later. Although I'm a bit undecided about how to rate this (my rating the first time was 4.5 stars, this time 4 stars, but the difference could be for a number of reasons), it turns out my thoughts are very similar. I really liked it, even more than the first book!

For one thing, I felt the characters in this one were much stronger and had more depth.

Matt was my favorite character in the first book,
Snowtulip
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, par-rom, own
4.5

If you are concerned about the paranormal elements and that's what has kept you from reading this book, don't let that stop you. It's all very subtle and weaved into the story easily.

I really enjoyed this book so much. The pacing was perfect! I had action, intriguing story, cops, a romance that made me so happy, a unique plot...so much to offer.

Matt and Bren are such endearing characters that just worked so well that I craved scenes with them. Every scene created intimacy and shared
Valentina Heart
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
The subject of this book is something I really enjoy. For me it's about super powers rather than super heroes and when a books pushes the idea to its limits I just know I'm going to love it.

I am sorry I haven't read the first book in the series, because after this one I am terribly intrigued. The mystery side of it took me somewhat by surprise because usually I am very good about guessing who the bad guy is. Maybe I wasn't focused enough or maybe the book is just so good. I'll leave that to
Tami
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nice, but not outstanding. It had a good crime/suspense part, although a bit confusing. The cases seemed to be over-lapping and it sometimes came across as sloppy.

The love story was ok. For me it was rather bland, though both MCs were likable.
It was a little sudden - the whole falling for each other. I'd imagine that guys with issues wouldn't fall so fast and hard and throw all their concerns over board...

The world-building was confusing to me too -until I saw, that this is the second
Jacq ~
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Man oh man what a mind gripping HOT READ! This writer is truly captivating.
Paul
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS
Trix
The sequel was so much better. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. The only impediment is that, as good as it was, I know I won't be re-reading it any time soon, so that drops its rating. I'll give it a 4.5 star rating.

(view spoiler)
EscaPe iNTo thE PaGEs
I enjoyed this Story featuring Matt and Brennan. It was more my speed than the first one In Darkness Bound. I would have liked to get more on what Matt's abilities were about.
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who normally steers away from novels involving the paranormal I actually enjoyed this book. Matt has kept his promise to Chris and located his older brother, Brennan. Now if only Brennan were not so drop down georgeous maybe he wouldn't be falling for him. How can the workaholic be falling for the one man who usually never goes for more than mister right now. Matt's investigative work comes with certain dangers, but when that danger threatens the ones he's come to love he's forced to ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: September 26, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Authors Website: http://www.christinepricewrites.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Sequel to In Darkness Bound
Series Best Read In Order: Probably.
Steam Level: Steamy

Matthew Whitman is married to his job. An agent in the Society, a group of paranormal agents whose job it is to solve crimes done by their own kind,
Anna
I really loved all of Matt and Brennan's scenes; they're both great and I loved them together, but the case really bored me and I ended up skimming a lot of it, so I can't give this book more than 3 stars.
Absynthe
Brilliant thriller! It's 4am. I'm finally going to sleep. Couldn't put the book down till I finished it.
Emilie
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sexy-cops, funny-guys
Now I'm gonna read the first book lol
Antoinette
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow Starter

I struggled to get through the first 30 - 40% of this book because I found the Dalhousie papers confusing and boring. To be fair, perhaps, that was because I didn't read the first book. It felt like there was a lot of missing information. But, the writing was good and the investigation fascinating which made it unputdownable once it took off. So, for that reason, I'm giving this four stars.
Andrea
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
2nd book of a wonderful series - doesn't end in a cliffhanger but I want more of these characters and anything else this writer produces. Unfortunately, I can't find anything.
Teresa
This book didnt grab me completely but it was an interesting story. ...more
Dena
audio I hope there is a book 3!
LenaLena
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Witty banter to the rescue! Funny dialog and observations almost, but not quite, made me forget that there is some weird shit going on in this book.

So yeah, the book is funny and engaging, even if the MCs are pretty much sickeningly perfect and cute and understanding and instalovers, and you can dredge up another few adjectives in the same vein, if you want. I liked them. They were very likable. They were meant to be likable. But even the relationship between Matt and Tate is more interesting,
Marlene
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
"With great power comes great responsibility." Isn't that how Peter Parker's uncle said it? Then there's the flip side, "Who watches the watchers?" In other words, who makes sure that the ones who have that great power use it responsibly?

In Christine Price's futuristic The Usual Apocalypse, the great powers involved are of the paranormal variety, and the ones who take responsibility just call themselves "The Society". The Society polices those who have paranormal ability. It also finds children
空
Jan 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Qi
Jul 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
It's pretty hard to juggle plots and Price failed to do it in this book. The murder mystery aspect was good, and well tied into Matt's backstory. The romance aspect might have been good as well, though I personally thought that neither of the characters behaved realistically in their situations. (Oh, my brother's alive? Let me just MOLEST THE GUY WHO TOLD ME instead of asking for more information or calling him or anything. There was maybe a 1% freaking out, 99% "oh, ok, that's cool. Hey, I'm ...more
Antonella
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
More 2,5...

After having read and liked yesterday ''In Darkness Bound'', I was a bit disappointed now. Some parts were definitely boring for me, insta-love, at times lame internal dialogue (I mean the little bits in italics when a character is thinking/talking to himself), too much & too detailed sex, info-dumping about the background of the society Matt work for and about his personal history made through the retrieval of an unbelievable report of another agent: a report with dialogue in it?
Kerry  sullivan
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gblt, paranormal
This book was reviewed for musings of a bookworm

I found this book really interesting and it was complex without being complicated. This is the second book in this series and I have not read book 1 but I have to say it was not necessary but I will be reading it just because this one was so good. The premiss of this book was learning to be comfortable with who you are and growing into your own power. This is a very good romantic suspense and I liked how the romance flourished between Matt and
Angela
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Erotica, m/m, romannce,
I didn't realize this was the second in a series when I started reading it. I got lost in the storyline a few times and didn't understand the world at first. I went back and read the first book to get the full experience of the Society. That being said, I ended up really liking this book. Matt and Brennan played well of each other and made a likable couple. I would've liked more of a back story on Brennan then what was written, but it wasn't missing enough to take away from the story. The rest ...more

• Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Soul Mate for Sale (The Omega Auction Chronicles, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Two (Spencer Cohen, #2)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars, #1)
  • Heartsong (Green Creek, #3)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Buyer Beware (The Omega Auction Chronicles, #2)
  • The Accidental Master (The Accidental Master #1)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • The Mating Game (The Omega Auction Chronicles, #3)
  • Eddie: Grime Doesn't Pay (The Brothers Grime, #2)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
There is more than one author with this name

Christine Price lives with her husband, two psychotic cats and a dumb Anatolian shepherd in Edmonton, AB. Her fascination with the written word began at a young age with a one-page story titled My Mother is a Werewolf and took off from there. In her spare time, she enjoys reading good books, drinking good wine and fine-tuning her mental filters.

The Society (2 books)
  • In Darkness Bound (The Society #1)