Start by marking “Das Puppenhaus (The Sandman #2)” as Want to Read:
Das Puppenhaus (The Sandman #2)

Das Puppenhaus (The Sandman #2)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  63,198 Ratings  ·  1,852 Reviews
NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.
A being that
Published 2007 by Panini Comics (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Das Puppenhaus, please sign up.

C. Yes, but the characters who make the rape jokes are not role models in the slightest. The joke itself is cringe-inducing within context and does not…moreYes, but the characters who make the rape jokes are not role models in the slightest. The joke itself is cringe-inducing within context and does not make light of rape.

If you are worried about the content be warned: this is not a children's series. It has depictions of some of the worst aspects of human nature (abuse, gory murder, sexual depravity, etc.). The comic series never idolizes these things, but they are in there. If a single rape joke, told by some of the worst characters, concerns you, then you might want to think twice about the series.

If you could handle the "24-hours" plot line from the first book, then you can handle this book.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
Every time I try to write a review for a Sandman comic, it just sounds like an outpouring of positive emotions and generic statements about what makes a good story good. I literally love this series, and to try and review it in a conventional way is rather difficult. So instead I’m going to show you some images and do my best to explain why this comic is so incredible.

Morpheus, Dream of the endless night.

description

Dream is a character, a concept and a force of nature. He is one of the defining pillars
Bill  Kerwin

The first volume of the Sandman was a fascinating experiment that enlarged the borders of the comic book world; this second volume is a fulfillment, a wildly imaginative narrative which is also a disciplined example of the story-teller’s art.

In an excellent introduction by Clive Barker—one of the masters of modern horror—the author distinguishes between two types of fantastic fiction: 1) the most common form, in which “a reality that resembles our own” is invaded by the fantastic, which is event
Patrick
Note: This is part two of a rambling multi-volume re-read of the series. It will probably make better sense in context of other reviews...

In this volume, we get several cool stand-alone stories and our first longer story arc with a non-sandman character. It's good stuff. Clever and fun and smart. Everything you'd expect from Gaiman.

When I first read it, it wowed me. It was cool and real and mythic all at once.

Reading it now, I look back on my first-read-through self and smile fondly, thinking
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm sorry Neil Gaiman..That first book in this series was kinda bland.

I think you way stepped it up in this book.

Yes, I know..you has some fangirls..err Kelly and Synesthesia..might want to send those to some fan mail..they got your back.

This one featured Dream guy but it actually made some sense..or did I drink the kool-aid?? Am I dreaming now..Now I'm paranoid.
I hate to give much away because these books aren't very long. So you gonna have to read these suckers.
Oh! Wait! I will tell you. If
HFK
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
Oh, shoot me a second asshole because I am about to rate a Neil Gaiman work with just two stars, I deserve all the wrath that is coming to me, I take full responsibility of my heartless actions that has no justification other than that The Doll's House kind of really sucks ass, and there is hardly any tongue action at play.

The Sandman really reminded me of other series I struggle with; Hellblazer. Both series I am planning to fully go through with, but both are also series that may be the end of
Alejandro
An extraorDinary masterpiece!

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III, Michael Zulli, Steve Parkhouse & Chris Bachalo

Letterer: Todd Klein

dOLLS & dREAMS

So, this is no man, no god, but something else.

You know that this TPB is something else when Clive Barker does the introduction!

While I only read (so far) four of the first TPBs of The Sandman, at least in this moment I have to say that this is the strongest storyline.

The first time that I st
Lyn
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Doll’s House, the second installment of Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman series, is an entertaining offering of graphic novel collaboration.

Gaiman’s imaginative storyline is brought to life by illustrators Steve Parkhouse, Chris Bachalo, Michael Zulli, Mike Dringenberg and Malcolm Jones III. Taking off from the introductory The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes, this volume follows a thematic plot about a “dream vortex” about which Morpheus must contend.

Other vignettes featured continue to
Brad
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Corinthian and the serial murderer's convention was rather special, and Rose Walker was somewhat interesting the first time reading this, but the second time? I think it was much better.

It's all about how we are shaped and what we shape, from feelings of listlessness (Dream), making a new life (the escaped dreams), or friendship with Hob, the humanity of Death, of Desire's machinations.

All of which touch on something deeper than a single series of comics should ever have a chance to commit.

V
Anne
2.5 stars...possibly 3?

I had forgotten why I stopped after volume 1.
Now I remember.
I see why everyone loves and reveres this title, I really do. It's just not my cuppa. It's just too dark and trippy for me, and the art isn't something that I actually enjoy looking at.
I'm not saying it's awful...I just don't like it!
I really wish I could say that I got all the deep introspective stuff that Gaiman was saying, but...
Truth?
I'm a few tiny steps away from being completely shallow and silly.
Especially
Andrew
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the st
Brad
One of my favourite lines in film is from Bull Durham. Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) asks Millie how the sex was with Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Tim Robbins), and Millie says, "He kind of fucks like he throws, sorta all over the place." And that is EXACTLY how Neil Gaiman writes.

He has mad creative talent. There is no denying it. But too often that talent is uncontrolled, chaotic and even bafflingly silly. The Doll's House, written back when he was just becoming Neil Gaiman (and probably had editors f
Algernon
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

short review : WOW !!!

long form : The Sandman series gains in confidence and daring, leaves behind most of the influences from the original DC comic and takes flight on its own with the second volume. The eight issue story arc opens with Tales in the Sand : a look at the distant past of the Endless entity known as Dream. Like one of the Greek gods, he falls in love with a mortal - Nada, the queen of a prosperous African tribe. Their union is doomed, and all that remains is a cautionary tale ab
Sam Quixote
What do you do when you encounter a run of bad comics? Return to the ones you’ve read and loved before for a re-read! So it’s doubly disappointing when a comic you thought you enjoyed way back when turns out to be kinda crappy – even more so when it’s an acknowledged classic like The Sandman!

Morpheus has returned to the Dreamtime after being imprisoned for 70 years (see the first volume for how that came to be and how he escaped). He begins putting things to rights and sets off to round up his
Michelle
The trouble is that this is better than the first one, but I don't want to rate the first one less than 5 stars because I love it. Can this one be 5 plus?

The story is darker in this one. Grittier. The first one was easing you into the universe. The real storytelling starts here.
Stuart
The Sandman, Vol 2: The Doll's House - Gaiman hits his stride with a chilling cereal convention

After reading the first three volumes of Sandman, I decided to re-read them again before moving onto volume 4. That’s because you really don’t recognize all the subtle hints, foreshadowing, character connections, and thematic elements that run throughout the stories. It’s just like visiting a big city such as New York or London for the first time - initially you go to all the most well-known sights and
Obsidian
So this is the great Sandman I have been hearing about for years. I liked it. But can't say I was blown away by it though. Probably because for the most part I found the colors muddled and it was hard to read sometimes what characters were saying. And when I had to turn the graphic novel sideways to continue reading it that got annoying. Since thought bubbles tended to go over their individual panels I sometimes read things out of order too and had to go back a few times.

I am going to have to re
Panagiotis
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από τον δεύτερο κιόλας τόμο η προσδοκίες που έχουν καλλιεργήσει τα σχόλια του Γκέιμαν και του συντάκτη, πως ο πρώτος ήταν μια άγουρη αρχή και η συνέχεια θα είναι λαμπρή, επαληθεύονται.

Ο Γκέιμαν με μεγαλύτερη αυτοπεποίθηση αποτινάζει τις συμβάσεις του DC σύμπαντος και παρασύρει τον αναγνώστη στον δικό του κόσμο. Δεν είναι τυχαίο που οι αναγνώστες αυτής της σειράς είναι ετερόκλητοι. Με τον τρόπου του το έργο απευθύνεται σε όλους όσοι λαχταράνε μια καλή ιστορία. Δε νομίζω πως υπάρχει όμοιό του στον
J.G. Keely
Like most of these collections, there are several fairly strong stories but one which stands above the others. In this second installation, it is the convention of serial killers where Gaiman is able to tap into his sense of human nature and draw out something that is funny, terrifying, and well-written. Often, his archetypal main characters cannot hold a candle to the depth and complexity of the small throwaways such as Gaiman creates here.

Perhaps he is afraid of alienating the reader, and henc
Anthony Chavez
Right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book (Mind you this is only the 2nd volume). I read volume one "Preludes & Nocturnes" and liked it, but the beginning was a little slow and didn't grab me right away. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House," this volume hooked me from page one, and it didn't let up, I wanted to devour every page. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale because I knew, Gaiman is going to make this awe ...more
Sh3lly ✨ Annihilator of Mangy Felines and Maggoty Malfeasance ✨
In this one, Morpheus discovers several of his creations escaped the Dreamland while he was imprisoned, so he has to go retrieve them. They are some pretty messed up beings too, especially The Corinthian. *shiver* He also discovers there is a new "vortex" in the shape of a teenage girl named Rose who threatens to damage the Dreaming.

This one was a bit too dark for me. It's got serial killers and child abuse in it and that goes way out of my comfort zone. I also just didn't really like the story
Farah Shamma
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As clever and morbid and electrifying as always. This volume has once again combined the creepy and the fascinating all in one. I love how all of the stories connect in some way or another. Another great volume from Gaiman!
Angel Erin

So I read the first volume in The Sandman series about a year ago and I liked it (I rated it 3 stars), but I didn't love it. I bought the second one and I've put off reading it since then because I wasn't 100% sold on the series. So when I began the Insane Genre Challenge I decided to read this one for the Graphic Novel genre. I'm happy to say that I did like this one better. Hooray!

While the first Sandman volume was a bit confusing and a little dull in pl
Kellan Gibby
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, reviews
The Sandman

Imagine a sort of walking path or trail, about a 500 feet long. It's not a barren, empty, boring trail though. It's a work of art. Along the way are wonderful things to see everywhere you look. Every time you walk through it you notice something new. It's the most amazing trail you've ever walked on.

Now imagine a second trail, but this one's about a mile long. It's like the first trail - complex, interesting, creative - but this one is stretched out. It feels as if it was made for gi
Airiz C
While Morpheus starred in the forefront in Preludes and Nocturnes, he takes a backseat in The Doll’s House. Here, mortals—the Walkers—fueled the story.

The Doll’s House treads on the similar path as Preludes and Nocturnes. In the first volume, Morpheus has to find important talismans; in the second volume Morpheus has to seek for dreams that have escaped his realm and morphed into human forms in the wake of the chaotic events in P&N. We get introduced to Rose Walker, a dream vortex that was f
Yaprak
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bebek Evi de dün gece beni uykusuz bırakmak suretiyle bitti... Demek ki neymiş? Sandman uykuya iyi gelmiyormuş.

İkinci cilt olan Bebek Evi'ni ilk cilt kadar beğenmedim. Kafamı karıştıran, muhtemelen daha sonraki ciltlerde farklı şekillerde karşımıza çıkacak bölümleri vardı.

Çevirisi yine ilk cilt kadar mükemmeldi, editörlük sırasında gözden kaçmış birkaç hata vardı ama.

Bir sonraki cildi merakla bekliyorum.
Damon
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Absolutely a much better read that the first one. I especially liked the story about the chaps meeting every hundred years. The art could actually look ok if someone hadn't scribbled all over it with bad inking and terrible colouring.
José
Repaso de todos los volúmenes en esta entrada

Much better than the first one and that's saying A LOT! (review soon)
Arielle Walker
Even darker and more twisted than the first, if that's possible, with interconnecting storylines that really pull you into the Sandman's world. Rose is an interesting character, and I hope that she makes more appearances in the next volumes. The "Convention of Collectors" was disgusting, perfectly so, and the Corinthian was the best part - although when I say "best", I really mean most terrifiying, but is that not the same thing here? There were more brilliant evil characters on one pag
Stephen
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 to 5.0 stars. As good as Preludes and Nocturnes was, it is in this second volume of the Sandman series that both the character and the evolving storyline comes into its own. After over a century of imprisonment, Morpheus returns to his realm to find Dreamland in disarray and proceeds to get things back in order. Gaiman continues his high level storytelling and we get to learn more about Sandman's siblings, the Endless. Great, great stuff.
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)

The Sandman (10 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman #1)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman #7)
  • Worlds' End (The Sandman #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman #10)
“For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.” 235 likes
“The only reason people die, is because EVERYONE does it. You all just go along with it.
It's RUBBISH, death. It's STUPID. I don't want nothing to do with it.”
67 likes