Start by marking “Valor (Greystone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Valor (Greystone, #1)

Valor

(Greystone #1)

Think you know about gargoyles? The beautiful winged race disappeared eight hundred years ago. Their greatest enemies were the brutal harpies that people today mistake for gargoyles.

Like all gargoyles, Valor is protective by nature. When he wakes to find a human girl in trouble, his first impulse is to help her. But the greatest risk to MacKenzie’s safety is himself. One s
Published June 12th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Valor, please sign up.
Taylor Longford I think so. I tried to write the books so they could be read as stand alones.

Melissa Pearl
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I really did. Taylor Longford's unique idea of gargoyles being these stunning statues that could transform into humans hooked me straight away. The concept is original and so entertaining. I fell for each gargoyle as I was introduced to them. They are a fantastic family of guys and I hope Longford writes a book about each and everyone of them.

The main character, MacKenzie, was great. She had flair and style, yet was really compassionate and sweet as well. I really enjoyed her
Evie
Good freaking golly gosh! Please someone tell me the sequel to this book is coming out tomorrow!
This might be the best book I have read lately, which is saying something because I've read some pretty good books lately!
It was so cool. Honestly the whole gargoyle thing sounded a little strange but very fascinating too! I was really interested to see how the author would do it and jeez louise I was totally blown away!
It was epic, fantastic, spectacular! I don't even. Know how to adequately describe
Beth
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of paranormal romance
Shelves: all-time-favs
For me, the test of a really good book is this: when I'm not reading it, do I wish I was reading it? As far as Valor goes, the answer was a definite YES. I read this book in two days, and when I wasn't reading it the characters kept popping into my mind. I will admit, when I saw that this book was about gargoyles, I wasn't sure what to expect. I pictured the winged lions that you see on the sides of buildings. How on earth were they going to be part of a young adult paranormal romance? Boy was I ...more
Radiant
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok who would think Gargoyles are hot,handsome protecters?
I loved the total new concept of gargoyles and their enemies - harpies..
And Valor and mac..i loved them!
Mac is sure a sweetheart to accept a pack of gargoyles and falling in love with one of them..i enjoyed Valor's story!
Looking forward for Dare's...will there be a book for each brother/cousin?I would like that :)
Sri.
Allyson
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Most amazing, romantic, action-packed book ever! I gobbled it up! I can't wait for more! One of my new favs! ;)
Penumbra
I was given this book through the Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Fanatics R2R group for an honest review, thank you.

(view spoiler)
N.G.
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA paranormal romance lovers who are tired of reading about werewolves and vampires.
This is the first book I read that included gargoyles
Geez, they give me the creeps but at the same time they're pretty interesting to look at.

Fortunately, the gargoyles in this book are pretty handsome while the harpies are the ones considered the ugly ones and the weakest too.

Nowadays, when you read a book about angels, for example, the author never mentions/ignores/or tries to come up with something like this: "Maybe you can't see my wings but that doesn't mean I can't fly." And I'm left like
Karen Jones
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the first book I've read with gargoyles as the main characters. But, I wasn't hesitant. I thought it sounded like a great idea. And it was.

Valor follows a tried-and-true formula of attraction, danger, and mystery. But don't let tried-and-true make you think it's typical. It's not. You'll meet some amazing characters, human and otherwise, and a pretty awesome dog - I love books with canine influences. The gargoyles are vividly brought to life in the descriptions and dialogue as the story
DeeDee
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This book was a nice surprise! YA Paranormal Romance - a teenage girl with absent parents meets a group of beautiful gargoyles who’ve just woken up after 800 years in stone form and falls in love. The gargoyles have sexy names like Valor, Dare, Havoc, Defiance, etc. They’re all beautiful and there are no gargoyle women, just men. How convenient is that? They say funny things like “Jolly awesome.” You can’t help but love them! The villains are the harpies who want to kidnap them and steal their v ...more
Kelly Oram
This one was kind of fun. I had to get over the fact that they were Gargoyles. But eventually I did and enjoyed the read. I'll keep an eye out for the sequels. I was a little disappointed though that it was told from the girl's perspective. From the books summary (told from the guy) and the Prologue (also told from the guy) I thought that's what I was getting. But I quickly got over that too.
Lauren
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who ever thought that gargoyles could come to life except for the disney movie? Who would have ever thought that a lovestory between a gargoyle and a human could be interesting? Well I think that Taylor Longford was the only person that I think would actually think of that. Because it is so different, it's interesting. I would recommend that you read this.
Kaye620
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of YA paranormal but this one caught my eye because the subject matter was so different. I'm so glad I gave it a try.
Becca
So um yes do read this. I was super excited when i found this little treasure why you ask? well first and foremost its free! and honestly i would have paid for this! paid and kept it! i loved loved loved it! okay so it was super amazing and now that i had my few moments of gushing let me tell you why it is such a good reason to grab this up and read it right away! and then tell all your friends about it!

The plot! OMGOSH THE PLOT! it was new - at least for me, the only other gargoyles book that i
Angie
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love when a book can rock my world, and this one really did.

MacKenzie is just your average 16 year old girl, or at least that is what she thought. Her world gets turned on its head the day her step-father ships a mysterious crate to the house and she is there to sign for it. Curiosity getting the better of her she opens it up and finds a beautiful sculpture inside, but the sculpture is so much more then she could even imagine.

I was pretty excited about reading this book. I mean gargoyles, come
Veronica Morfi
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
MacKenzie, a 16-year-old girl, is about to discover that Gargoyles are real and are nothing like the uglie stone creatures we thought. After a shipment from her step-father arrives at her garage, MacKezie opens the big crate with no idea that this action will change her life forever. Inside the crate is the most beutiful winged stone sculpture she's ever seen and soon afterwards the sculpture comes to life only to save hers.

Valor is a gargoyle. He has spent the last 800 years of his life waitin
KittyKat
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in this book. The characters had little depth and their personalities weren't explored well. Many times I had to put the book down to take a break it was that bad.

photo tumblr_m4i6ddpdhx1rn95k2o1_250.gif

On top of this there was insta-love. Ugh. And that wasn't even the worst of it. Oh no. Valor and Mackenzie commit to each other FOREVER after only knowing each other for a few weeks. Does that strike anyone else as strange!

photo parkssnubgifs-what.gif

The Gargoyles and harpies were briefly explored but more could have been told to help
♥ Sarah
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
4.0-4.3 STARS

**Free on amazon!http://www.amazon.com/Valor-Greystone...

This was my first gargoyle book, but it won’t be my last. I was extremely pleased to realize that gargoyles aren’t as ugly as I’d imagined. Those hideous creatures are actually called, Harpies.

First, I liked that the whole book wasn’t too focused on world-building. But when it did, it was very subtle, effective, and natural. The whole ‘gargoyle’ thing wasn’t shoved down my throat, but at the same time, all my questions were a
Jessica
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my friends read this and loved it, which naturally got me all excited to read it (especially when it became free on amazon) and...it didn't let me down!!! I really liked it!!!

Never in a million years did I think I would ever read a gargoyle book. But you know what they say about never. I'm so glad Evie recommended this book to me! I would have been missing out on a lot.

The plot was very interesting. It kept me reading late into the night wanting to see how everything was going to work out
Marie -The Reading Otter
This book was alright.
It had a pretty good pace, it wasn't too fast paced, nor did it drag on. It was a really easy read, and was written really well. The characters were pretty good, and I did like that they didn't all immediately trust the MC, but treated her with caution biased on various information about her that is revealed at also a good pace.

I'm not a huge fan of the names of the Gargoyles though, They seem to be named after their biggest personality trait, or something like that. I do
Ashley
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you e-mail the author, Taylor Longford, and ask for this book she will gift it to you through your Amazon Kindle e-mail. Her e-mail is taylor@taylorlongford.com. I just got mine!! Hurry, though, she is only gifting away ten, but I just got one so now there is less than that! This book is about gargoyles and looks like it takes an unique spin on them. For more detail about them just read the clip by the book! lol. If you miss getting the gift, Amazon is selling if for 99 cents. :)

I just wanted
Melanie
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough!

Longford's interpretation of gargoyles and harpies was a new and interesting one. I didn't really know what to expect when I started it, and was surprised at how much of this particular gargoyle mythology we got, especially considering how short it was. Gargoyles in packs, being able to turn human when the sun hits them, being basically indestructible when in stone form, those are fairly expected, I think. But we also got qui
Lara
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2r, z-2012-in-2012
This was a very quick and easy to get into read. I liked MacKenzie and Valor, and found their relationship both age-appropriate and yet mature. The different personalities of the gargoyles add interest and fun to the proceedings, as does their eagerness to experience modern culture. There are hints of future relationships between the supporting characters, which should be interesting as there will have to be some serious reveals as some point. And the book ends with some major mysteries that cle ...more
Suzelle
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OK, so my daughter read this book and said," i have a book for you to read,mom." I'm so glad she did!
What a cool and original idea! I loved this book. It is a great mixture of wit,romance, and a really good plot. It's not your run-of-the-mill, girl swoons for guy, can think of nothing but the guy, and causes all sorts of life altering mishaps for everyone along the way. The author created such good strong characters that I can't wait to see how each of them turns out. There were a couple of min
Nasne
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
It's been a while since I read this book, so this review will not be the biggest or most accurate review you'll ever read. Anyway, I loved this book. Was it completely ridiculous? Yes! Was te romance crazy fast and a little weird? (By weird I mean really weird. I mean, if I guy told me that he was leaking blue poison from his fingers because he likes you so much, I would probably back away slowly, not breaking eyecontact and when reaching the door, run as fast and far away as I can. Oh that pesk ...more
Jyoti Arora
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
It’s a sweet and happy book, a very simple love story, simply told. Much like the stories mothers tell their kids to make them go to sleep smiling and have happy dreams. As for characters, I quite fell in love with them and actually found myself missing them when the book was over.

If you are looking for rib-tickling humour, or college fun and romance typical of YA fiction, then this book is probably not for you. But if you are in mood of something sweet, highly romantic and dreamy, do give it a
Jeeviebaby
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very original story. I loved the names of the characters as well as their descriptions. I like the fact that I didn't want to beat the heroine for being weak and stupid.(view spoiler) I can't wait to read more from this author!
Crissy Pedersen
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The general problem I have with YA lit is the overly easy acceptance of supernatural creatures and the insta-love storylines, which is why I can't give this book 5 stars. That being said, all the books in this series sucked me in and I couldn't wait to find time to read more. Also, I really like how each book focuses on a different gargoyle, so while there are continuing plots, there is also a different perspective and a separate story in each book.
Dee
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this novel! I came by this story by chance, through a friendship here on Goodreads, and it could not have ended up better!

This story is so refreshing in the vampire/werewolf/witch flooded market that is Young Adult literature. Valor takes an image that has been overseen (gargoyles) and expands it so far as to create an entire world that invites you in.

Tara
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Throughly enjoyed this take on gargoyles. Characters were well built, the love scenario didn't span the entire length of the book. The ending was rather abrupt, I think a little more could of went into it but I will continue to read more in this series should there be more.
Valor by Taylor Longford 2 8 Dec 05, 2014 09:23PM
  • Healed (Rebirth, #2)
  • Baptism of Fire (Draconi Series, #1)
  • Song to Wake to (Levels, # 1)
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • Shaken (Mind Reader, 1)
  • Vortex (Return of the Effra, #1)
  • To Light The Dragon's Fire (Dragons, Griffons and Centaurs, Oh My! #1)
  • Tsubasa: Those with Wings, Omnibus 1
  • Wanderlove (Wanderlove, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rebel (Roswell High, #8)
  • The Banshee and the Linebacker
  • Phase (Phase Trilogy, #1)
  • Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 03
  • Golden Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #1)
  • The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy, #1)

1. The books in the Greystone Series are teenage romances written for younger readers.

2. You can read snippets from the Greystone Series in the section below titled "Taylor's Writing".

3. I'm an indie author; I work overtime at a demanding day job and write on weekends. My small clan of supportive readers has been the driving force that has kept me working on the series for the last three and a hal

Greystone (8 books)
  • Dare (Greystone, #2)
  • Reason (Greystone, #3)
  • Defiance (Greystone, #4)
  • Chaos (Greystone, #5)
  • Victor (Greystone, #6)
  • Force (Greystone, #7)
  • Courage (Greystone, #8)
“We’re more than common rock,” he murmured. “We’re pretty nigh indestructible when we’re in our stone forms.”

I thought this over. “Then why didn’t they pick you up and throw you into the sea?”

He sent me a dark look. “You’re a bloodthirsty lass, aren’t you?”
19 likes
“After Reason had left the dining room, Valor’s mouth softened into smile. “Let us know if you have any symptoms.”

“Symptoms?” I asked, and jerked my gaze to his eyes. “What kind of symptoms?”

“Tell us if your fingernails turn to stone,” Victor chuckled.”
7 likes