Start by marking “Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)

Read Excerpt

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  81,584 Ratings  ·  9,649 Reviews
This sequel to the first novel, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended.

Published January 14th 2014 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Hollow City, please sign up.

Jami Late 2015 is when the 3rd book will come out and Tim Burton is making a movie from the first one.
Christina I thought it was a little less suspenseful, but other than that, it's a splendid read.
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
27th out of 2,667 books — 15,920 voters
YA Novels of 2014
21st out of 1,527 books — 8,860 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
Jun 29, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.5 stars. Really enjoyed this book, just not quite as much as the first one! Loving the series overall so far, and can't wait for book 3 this fall!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Sep 18, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy that I decided to reread this! I forgot how crazy that ending was. :o I THINK I'M READY FOR LIBRARY OF SOULS NOW... I THINK. MAYBE NOT, BUT IT'S COMING WHETHER I'M READY OR NOT.
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It for more reviews!

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is one of my all-time favorite books and I've been waiting to read Hollow City for ages! As soon as I received Hollow City, I began to devour this strange book and I believe Hollow City is even better than Mrs. P's. Hollow City does an excellent job of creating a captivating, magical world and accompanying the plot with finely selected vintage photos.

The photographs in Hollow City are just as bizarre and out
Christine Riccio
Sep 26, 2015 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.4 STARS! Really enjoyed Hollow City - here's my booktalk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5j0g... =D
Ivana
Dec 04, 2013 Ivana marked it as to-read
what is it with you people and rating books that arent even PUBLISHED??!!! COME ON!! ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
HOLY CRAP. I CAN'T EVEN. I'll write my thoughts when I'm able to GATHER my thoughts, but know that I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
Ferdy
Spoilers

Disappointing. The plot was uninteresting, the characters were unremarkable, and the romance was lame.

-Summary: Miss Peregine's school and the time loop she created destroyed by hollows/wights/the bad guys, the peculiars/students on the run, Miss Peregine poisoned and not able to fix the loop and protect her kids, Jacob and the other peculiars have to avoid the bad guys and find another headteacher to help Miss Peregine get back to normal.

-The majority of Hollow City was dull, there was
Apr 06, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
January 2014?

J.L.   Sutton
The peculiar children are on the run! Danger at every turn! Until finally...okay, there's a twist thrown in. While Ransom Riggs' Hollow City is a well-written sequel in which we learn more about the nature of the peculiars (and their enemies), overall, I wasn't as wowed or intrigued. To me, it felt like the filler of a 3-book series. Will I read Library of Souls? Not sure yet...
Jessica (priceiswong)
Aug 01, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I think I liked this one a little better than the first.. SO excited for book three!
Trina (Between Chapters)
3.5 stars.

Unfortunately, Hollow City is a case of Second Book Syndrome.

Extremely slow start, with many scenarios that I found just too far fetched. (view spoiler) There has to be a suspension of belief when reading any work of fiction, especially fantasy. But it was too far a stretch for me to believe that the events could happen so easily. Not that the characters
Darth J
Nov 11, 2015 Darth J rated it liked it
Shelves: series

I felt like this was a lull between the first one and the finale. While there's action and adventure it seemed mostly like an info dump to bridge the gap between the end pieces. It was certainly more entertaining than the first one, but only marginally.

There is a quest to bring the group's ymbryne to Miss Wren, whose first name is

There are some new characters introduced in this book such as a talking dog named Addison, a pair of blind brothers who use echolocation, a telekinetic girl, a
P
Mar 08, 2016 P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What I believe is that when it comes to big things in life, there are no accidents. Everything happens for a reason. You are here for a reason -- and it's not to fail and die.”

Hollow City is DARKER and CREEPIER than book one. I was really glad to finally see what's going on with children at the beginning of this book. The world of this book is madness, it's not something joyful for someone. Emma becomes a lead character in Hollow City, and her courage makes this book turn out to be the unput
Liam
Aug 21, 2015 Liam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That ending has killed me... Well and truly killed me...

But anyway, this book is utterly brilliant!!

I absolutely adored Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children and had pretty high hopes for this book. All I can say is that this book was better than I could've ever hoped and may well be the best sequel I have read in my life!!

The characters in this book are all so incredibly unique and precious! They're written so well and the dialogue/relationships they have with one another all feel so rea
Carla
Jan 22, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it
That ending: WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?
Mandy Blair Crider
Nov 15, 2015 Mandy Blair Crider rated it really liked it
I love this series. The peculiar children in these novels are so fascinating. This story had me hooked just like the first book did. There were parts I wasn't crazy about but it was still good and the pictures were good, too. Looking forward to the next in the series!!
Lindsey Lewis
Mar 17, 2016 Lindsey Lewis rated it it was amazing
I won Hollow City as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Can we say BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVARR? The waiting thing is destroying me though and I may just sit at the mailbox until I get it.

REVIEW: Jacob and the Peculiar Children we've grown to know and love are back. Their adventure opens immediately after the close of the first novel, and as they set out to save Miss Peregrine, new danger and excitement awaits them. Jacob struggles with his newfound abilities, and the pressure of leaving hi
Aslı Dağlı
Oct 20, 2015 Aslı Dağlı rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çeviri bitti!

inanılmazdı! Birinci kitap bitince nasıl "Çabuk bana ikinci kitabı verin!" diye bağırdıysam ikinci kitabın sonunda da aynı şeyi hissettim. "Yok artık, o kadar da olamaz," diyerek okuduğum çok fazla yer oldu. Bir kere daha çeviriyi bırakıp kitabı okumamak için kendimi zor tuttum. Şahsen, ikinci kitabı birincisinden daha çok beğendiğimi de itiraf etmeliyim. Eğer Bayan Peregrine'in Tuhaf Çocuklarını sevdiyseniz Hollow City'yi daha çok seveceksiniz.

Kitabı kestiği yerden ötürü Ransom Rig
Luke
This novel features a picture of a bulldog smoking a pipe. It was my everything.

If you have forgotten the events of the first entry in this series or read it a long time ago, I'd highly suggest a quick re-read or a glance at the wikipedia synopsis to familiarise yourself with the events from the first book. The reason for this is that the second novel in the 'Miss Peregrine' series picks up directly at the end of the first one, with our bunch of peculiar children heading to the mainland in their
Laz
Jan 18, 2015 Laz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ......
What a disappointment..

I had so many expectations about this one but it only let me down.. I had loved the first book in the series, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & I wanted so much to love this one too but unfortunately the only good thing about this book was the photos, which like in the first book, they blew me away by how real and authentic they look.

This one lacked the magic the first book had, it was kind of idiotic and the author tried to take an even darker turn to the
Jonathan

Hollow City is one of those sequel novels that irons out many of the kinks in the first novel. It further goes to prove that the quality of children's and young adult' fiction is improving all the more in this day and age. Where once such books were throw away pieces to pass the time till younger readers could engage with more serious pieces of literature, today they are or should be recognised as being equally serious and nuanced - with the same level of power as books regarded as more mature.

I
grace
Jul 01, 2015 grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5! OH MY GOSH. That ending. Cannot wait for the third book.
Brad
Jun 18, 2016 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Truly a direct sequel that doesn't even let us take a breath between the last action of the first book before we're hunted by baddies, we're going crazy to fix poor Miss Peregrine, and before we solve the new mysteries of new photos.

It's a good setup and a good adventure. They obviously need a lot of help, but it's great to see how they solve their problems and avoid or defeat the baddies as they try to find others of Miss Peregrine's kind.

Suffice to say, read this for the adventure and the twis
Alia
Sep 04, 2015 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need the next book now.
I haven't thought that I'd like this book as much as I did. This was better than the first one! I didn't love the characters in the first book as much as I did in this one. I'm glad I continued with this series. I can't wait for the last book to come out.
Aditi
“We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high.”

----Ransom Riggs

Ransom Riggs, the New York Times bestselling author, has penned a fascinating paranormal-themed story in his YA series, Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children and this book, Hollow City is the second book in this exciting series. This story follows the adventure of a sixteen year old rich boy who found his late grandfathers' fantasy and peculiar stories to be true after his death and to rest his g
Melki
Jan 16, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it
"At the heart of nature's mystery lies another mystery."
Perplexus Anomalus

Once upon a peculiar time...

Whew! It took me a while to get into this one because - 1) I read the first book in June 2011 and then basically forgot most of it, and 2)the first seventy-five pages are mostly about the kids being chased by one thing or another.

BUT...

Once they are given a quest - head to London and save every peculiar thing on the planet - things perk up a bit, the magic begins to creep back in, and it turns o
Katie
Jan 15, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L. O. V. E. D.

This was even better than Miss Peregrine, IMO. Both the character and world development were intricate and wonderful to read. The peculiars we met before really start to become strong characters of their own, and I love Jacob's development. I would also just love to get my hands on a Map of Days and a few of the other peculiar books mentioned!

My only regret is that I read it so quickly and now have to wait another age for #3...
Irshad
description

Hollow City has been a great adventure to read and I'm so thrilled for the adventure my mind went through. I'd rate this book a 4 stars and I have my reasons of not giving it a full 5 stars.

The journey of the peculiar kids carries on whereby they're finding a way to cure their ymbryne of her issue of not being able to transform back to her human form. Their journey starts out from their island and ends in London for this book.

I absolutely went insane reading the first 40% of the book. It was bl
Love Fool
May 10, 2016 Love Fool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.

How did Ransom Riggs make the sequel better than the first, such a rare thing to happen. This had such thrills and chills, and the end had an amazing twist. Did not see
Rachel K
Jun 09, 2016 Rachel K rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm really enjoying this series! While it took me a little while to get into this book, the fast-paced and exciting ending truly made up for that.

I love that we got to see more of peculiardom in this book; some of the characters that popped up throughout the story were a lot of fun. Of the couple of new characters that stayed with the group, I wish we could've heard a bit more from them - a lot of the time I forgot they were there because they were never mentioned. I definitely feel like those
  • The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief
  • Afterworlds
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)
  • The Waking Dark
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • Between the Spark and the Burn (Between, #2)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
  • Requiem (Books of Faerie, #3)
  • Such Wicked Intent (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #2)
  • Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • When Did You See Her Last? (All the Wrong Questions, #2)
I grew up in Florida, went to Kenyon College in Ohio, then film school at USC in LA, where I still live. I write books and screenplays, blog daily for mentalfloss.com, and make short films.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is my first novel. I'm really excited about it -- it was challenging and rewarding and I hope people like it. If you read that and like the found photographs in it, y
More about Ransom Riggs...

Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children (3 books)
  • Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)

“Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.” 349 likes
“Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than crying makes them better.” 237 likes