Start by marking “What's New, Pussycat?” as Want to Read:
What's New, Pussycat?

What's New, Pussycat?

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  590 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Delilah has made a big decision. In fact she's made several. She's leaving Bradford, leaving her boyfriend Lenny and taking her Tom Jones record collection, her pet whippet. Fatso and herself to the bright lights of the big city... And now that she's here, it seems that down-to-earth Delilah is just what the big city was waiting for Hut whatever she does. Delilah is determ ...more
Published April 27th 2000 (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What's New, Pussycat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's New, Pussycat?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSpritzerville,…Ohio? by Jason R. KoivuWhy Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha ChristieWhose Body? by Dorothy L. SayersThey Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy
Titles with a Question Mark?
355th out of 408 books — 62 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEffortless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle FormanBreathe by Abbi Glines
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
375th out of 599 books — 1,727 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela
Oct 13, 2013 Pamela rated it it was ok
Predictable plot, unlikable heroine with stereotypical dashing media boyfriend, down-to-earth male friend who has a crush on her, crazy BFF and same old misunderstandings that are meant to drive the plot. It was such a simple plot that I found myself rolling my eyes at the characters' presumptions and actions.
Zarah
Jul 10, 2015 Zarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a review as much as it's a warning.
There will also be spoilers, so don't read anything below the spoiler break, if you haven't read the book. At least not if you plan to read it...

The short-short version of my review is this:
Sexist, agist, racist, body- and slutshaming book about a sociapathic chick who couldn't be bothered to think about anybody but hersef, but has a Sad Backstory, as if that excuses her rotten behaviour.
Chick is Very Pretty (which we are repeatedly shown) and has f
Helene
Apr 24, 2012 Helene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, 2012-reads
Wal.li
Apr 04, 2014 Wal.li rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delilah, ja, die von Tom Jones

Genau nach der ist Delilah von ihrer viel zu früh verstorbenen Mutter benannt worden. Seit langen Jahren hütet Delilah die Sammlung der Platten des Tigers wie ihren Augapfel. Und viel mehr nimmt sie auch aus der Wohnung mit, die sie gemeinsam mit Lenny bewohnt hat. Alles in ihr hat sich gegen seinen Heiratsantrag gesträubt und eine eher zufällige Begegnung mit einem Londoner Modemacher weckt den Traum in ihr - London. Genau dorthin macht sie sich mit ihrem klapprige
Els
Feb 17, 2015 Els rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vele vrouwen fantaseren, al sinds ze een klein meisje waren, over hun huwelijksdag en het aanzoek dat daar aan vooraf gaat. Het is toch een droom die uitkomt, wanneer die ene vraag dan uiteindelijk gesteld wordt. Natuurlijk ga je 'ja' zeggen. Hier zat je toch op te wachten? Je moet toegeven dat je al vaker een beetje teleurgesteld was, wanneer je vond dat er zich een uitstekende gelegenheid voordeed, maar de liefde van je leven niet tot actie overging? En dan is het plots zo ver. Hij gaat, al da ...more
C
Sep 16, 2012 C rated it liked it
Another fabulous, fresh, fast read from Alexandra potter. I was a little wary of reading this when I found out it was actually this author’s first novel. Having read most of her other, more recent, novels I was cautious in case this didn’t live up to the usual high standard that she had set in my reading expectations, however I was not disappointed!

Delilah does what so many of us have dreamed of doing, packs her back and runs off to the big city leaving her small town life and love behind. Now
Yanny
Jan 17, 2014 Yanny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celá recenze zde: http://yan-ny.blog.cz/1401/co-je-nove...

Úplně první kniha, kterou má oblíbená spisovatelka napsala a zároveň zatím ta poslední, která byla u nás přeložena do češtiny.

Alexandra Potter je autorka, která jednoduše svým stylem psaní baví. Není to nijak geniální dílo, u kterého byste si kousali nehty v napětí, jak jen to může dopadnout, protože skoro od samého začátku je vám jasné, jak to dopadne, ale to je dobře, protože cílová skupina románů Alexandry Potter nechce napětí, ale chc
Nicole
Oct 11, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so 3.5 stars! Cos 3 seems too little and 4 is too much;)

I have always enjoyed Alexandra Potter's books, they're always cheery and humorous! It seems that a number of her books have this magical element to them (I didn't mean all Twinkle bell and Disney here!) but this one is obviously lacking, which I wish it wasn't.

At around 50% of the book, I was like, ok, I can predict the ending, but Delilah, girl, why must you be such a stubborn B****??! That's the "hardest time" to get through.... It's
Lena
Mar 17, 2014 Lena rated it it was amazing
Popravdě, tohle byla asi nejlepší knížka od Alexandry, co jsem četla! Ne, že by ty ostatní nebyly taky skvělé, ale prostě tohlee..aw!
Už úplně od začátku jsem si zamilovala Sama. Takovej chlap, který ti vždycky pomůže, ten se těžko shání. Možná jsou poslední kusy na skladě (haha! a nebo už došli o.O)
A ona...gosh, proč jsou všechny ženské postavy závislé na chlapovi jako je tenhle? wtf. někdy jsem jí měla chuť praštit. cca 3/4 knížky. ale to je vedlejší O:)
Prostě sakra Bradford! aafgjhj! <3
Daphne Åkerman
May 17, 2016 Daphne Åkerman rated it liked it
This book uses the usual plot that is used in all of Potter's books. Woman With Financial Struggles that somehow manages to live in an expensive big city (read NYC or London). She's with Nice But Boring Guy, but his attention seems to have drifted, and she starts to doubt their relationship. Enter Strange Supernatural Happening that changes everything. But, don't worry, she has Curvy Fashionista BFF and New Love Interest at her side. Despite trying to hide her feelings for New Love Interest, for ...more
CzechKatka02
Jun 24, 2015 CzechKatka02 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zajímavá, vtipná a neskutečně upřímná kniha. S ní jsem svůj volný čas strávila užitečně doopravdy. :)
Maria Arafah
Sep 12, 2014 Maria Arafah rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Nice, simple, superficial & light. Suitable for breaks, car rides & waiting rooms...
Madlenka
Recenze: http://ineedstoriestolive.blogspot.cz...

I had high expectations of Alexandra Potter as the campaign accompanying the release of her books in the Czech Republic had been massive. I expected something new and fresh and different from usual chick lit. What I got was EXACTLY the usual chick lit. As soon as all of the main characters were on the scene I didn't have the slightest doubt how it would end--that is, which guy Delilah would end up with. For some reason, she couldn't see it for abo
Ivy Olivia
Jun 30, 2014 Ivy Olivia rated it really liked it
:) :) i just love alexandra potter' romance book! :)
Fatma Mohammad
Feb 11, 2015 Fatma Mohammad rated it liked it
Alexandra Potter. Always a good laugh! :D
Jessica
Feb 21, 2016 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I really tried to like this book.
It's a shame nothing happened.
Shea
Mar 26, 2014 Shea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ihave
Funny writing style. Good storyline.
Nice choice for a light reading.
Hani Tiara
Dec 18, 2015 Hani Tiara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
"I love you. Three little words that once they are spoken are like a gift that's been unwrapped."
Dara Megan
Dec 21, 2014 Dara Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moc moc prijemneeeeee :))
Tata Lapus
Nov 22, 2012 Tata Lapus rated it it was amazing
There is nothing special about the plot.....It's your typical girl leaves boy to follow man of her dreams, girl meets new boy best friend and falls in love with man of her dreams, realizes later on that man of her dreams is not really for her and falls in love with best friend. I just love how Alexandra Potter makes the story still interesting and funny despite the overused plot. This was a fast, easy and fun read with a few lessons here and there.
Kathy Chung
well this has been a rather difficult reads. story was far fetched. how likely is it someone like her will just uproot herself to chase a dream in the form of Charles mendes? a waitress without much education and stuck in the rug if life with a "secured" bf.

what is more far fetch is that at every turn lady luck seems to be with her.

despite everything this have been a good read as it's not gloomy.
Nicole C
Nov 30, 2013 Nicole C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mildly entertaining. Potter's books are for fun reads but to be honest I find the characters quite shallow, plus the plot is very predictable. Chasing after 'gorgeous bloke' with $$ and then realizing that the guy next door is way better and ending up together. I guess after reading her books a number of times, they just seem quite similar to each other and so I've tired of them.
Grace
What's New, Pussycat? is one of my least favorite book by Alexandra Potter. I feel that the story progresses rather slowly in the beginning that I just can't wait for Delilah to move to London. Though the story line is quite predictable and all, I have to say that between this book and Me and Mr.Darcy, I would still prefer What's New, Pussycat?
Chanpreet
Apr 30, 2011 Chanpreet rated it really liked it
It was a good book. Predictable, but entertaining. It took me a while to get into it, but it was a sweet story, if a bit unbelievable/unrealistic. This book is Alexandra Potter's first published book, and if you've read one of her later books, you can see how much Ms. Potter has improved.
Nicole
Oct 31, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-i-own
The book was good, Well I've read so far all of Alexandra Potter and this one is the shortest at least.

The story revolves around her who is looking for a meaning in her life and meets two amazing guys who is one the real one for her and the other one who is just meerly passing.
Mabel Csl
May 24, 2012 Mabel Csl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone you just met on the first time, may not be the love of your life, despite the physical appearance. The title is based on the song from Tom Jones, Delilah's precious black records, and her journey in search of her Mr.Right, which is actually, Mr.Wrong. But the ending is sweet :)
Noor Ashadawi
Jun 08, 2012 Noor Ashadawi rated it did not like it
It took men's while to go through this book bc it was a bit dull and predictable... Full of cliches and really not funny. I just needed to finish if
To see what would happen. ... The ending was
So Rushed,It's as if she wrote it
In 5 minutes. Honestly, skip this book.
Aiqha
Jun 01, 2012 Aiqha rated it really liked it
Fun and entertaining for evening till midnight reading. Even I just can predict who's the bloody person Delillah gonna be with but something in between of the story quite interesting.

I'm just curious what Charlie's doing at the end of the story.
Lynda
Jan 10, 2013 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!Couldn't put it down,this book came everywhere with me till I finished.Just a really enjoyable read with characters you actually cared about for a change,even if the ending is abit tidy was a brilliant read.
Naomianna
Jun 04, 2012 Naomianna rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is not the best book ever but if you want an easy read with a happy ending then this is the book for you. It has some details about living in London and the singles scene (some of which is accurate).
Goodreads Librari...: Assigning a translation to its original 4 66 Oct 23, 2013 01:52AM
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • Recipe for Life
  • Girl Meets Ape
  • Earth to Betsy (Betsy #2)
  • Operation Sunshine
  • The Scent of Scandal
  • Making Hay (Honeycote, #2)
  • Love is On the Air
  • Telling Liddy
  • It Had to Be You
  • Love Hunt (Lodes Chronicles, #4)
  • Isobel's Wedding
  • The Pi**ed-Off Parents Club
  • Only Dad
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of TEN romantic comedies (soon to be eleven when her latest novel, Love From Paris, is published summer 2015). Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: al
More about Alexandra Potter...

“Why is it that when you discover you can't have something, you want it even more?” 11 likes
“Life doesn't hang around, it keeps moving and if you don't keep up you can lose things.” 9 likes