Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “What's New, Pussycat?” as Want to Read:
What's New, Pussycat?
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

What's New, Pussycat?

by
3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Delilah has made a big decision. In fact she's made several. She's leaving Bradford, leaving her boyfriend Lenny and taking her Tom Jones record collection, her pet whippet. Fatso and herself to the bright lights of the big city... And now that she's here, it seems that down-to-earth Delilah is just what the big city was waiting for Hut whatever she does. Delilah is determ ...more
Paperback, 310 pages
Published April 27th 2000 (first published 2000)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about What's New, Pussycat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's New, Pussycat?

Whose Body? by Dorothy L. SayersDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickCan You Forgive Her? by Anthony TrollopeBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie
Titles with a Question Mark?
205th out of 234 books — 32 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEffortless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
351st out of 540 books — 1,547 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 994)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Wal.li
Delilah, ja, die von Tom Jones


Genau nach der ist Delilah von ihrer viel zu früh verstorbenen Mutter benannt worden. Seit langen Jahren hütet Delilah die Sammlung der Platten des Tigers wie ihren Augapfel. Und viel mehr nimmt sie auch aus der Wohnung mit, die sie gemeinsam mit Lenny bewohnt hat. Alles in ihr hat sich gegen seinen Heiratsantrag gesträubt und eine eher zufällige Begegnung mit einem Londoner Modemacher weckt den Traum in ihr - London. Genau dorthin macht sie sich mit ihrem klapprige
...more
Els
Vele vrouwen fantaseren, al sinds ze een klein meisje waren, over hun huwelijksdag en het aanzoek dat daar aan vooraf gaat. Het is toch een droom die uitkomt, wanneer die ene vraag dan uiteindelijk gesteld wordt. Natuurlijk ga je 'ja' zeggen. Hier zat je toch op te wachten? Je moet toegeven dat je al vaker een beetje teleurgesteld was, wanneer je vond dat er zich een uitstekende gelegenheid voordeed, maar de liefde van je leven niet tot actie overging? En dan is het plots zo ver. Hij gaat, al da ...more
C
Another fabulous, fresh, fast read from Alexandra potter. I was a little wary of reading this when I found out it was actually this author’s first novel. Having read most of her other, more recent, novels I was cautious in case this didn’t live up to the usual high standard that she had set in my reading expectations, however I was not disappointed!

Delilah does what so many of us have dreamed of doing, packs her back and runs off to the big city leaving her small town life and love behind. Now
...more
Yanny
Celá recenze zde: http://yan-ny.blog.cz/1401/co-je-nove...

Úplně první kniha, kterou má oblíbená spisovatelka napsala a zároveň zatím ta poslední, která byla u nás přeložena do češtiny.

Alexandra Potter je autorka, která jednoduše svým stylem psaní baví. Není to nijak geniální dílo, u kterého byste si kousali nehty v napětí, jak jen to může dopadnout, protože skoro od samého začátku je vám jasné, jak to dopadne, ale to je dobře, protože cílová skupina románů Alexandry Potter nechce napětí, ale chc
...more
Helene
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Nicole
Ok, so 3.5 stars! Cos 3 seems too little and 4 is too much;)

I have always enjoyed Alexandra Potter's books, they're always cheery and humorous! It seems that a number of her books have this magical element to them (I didn't mean all Twinkle bell and Disney here!) but this one is obviously lacking, which I wish it wasn't.

At around 50% of the book, I was like, ok, I can predict the ending, but Delilah, girl, why must you be such a stubborn B****??! That's the "hardest time" to get through.... It's
...more
Lena
Popravdě, tohle byla asi nejlepší knížka od Alexandry, co jsem četla! Ne, že by ty ostatní nebyly taky skvělé, ale prostě tohlee..aw!
Už úplně od začátku jsem si zamilovala Sama. Takovej chlap, který ti vždycky pomůže, ten se těžko shání. Možná jsou poslední kusy na skladě (haha! a nebo už došli o.O)
A ona...gosh, proč jsou všechny ženské postavy závislé na chlapovi jako je tenhle? wtf. někdy jsem jí měla chuť praštit. cca 3/4 knížky. ale to je vedlejší O:)
Prostě sakra Bradford! aafgjhj! <3
Madlenka
I had high expectations of Alexandra Potter as the campaign accompanying the release of her books in the Czech Republic had been massive. I expected something new and fresh and different from usual chick lit. What I got was EXACTLY the usual chick lit. As soon as all of the main characters were on the scene I didn't have the slightest doubt how it would end--that is, which guy Delilah would end up with. For some reason, she couldn't see it for about 300 pages.
Maria Arafah
Nice, simple, superficial & light. Suitable for breaks, car rides & waiting rooms...
Karen
I loved this book. It is such a cheery book, in some places it had me laughing out loud.

Delilah leaves Bradford for London for a change of life. She is mainly in search for Charlie who she met by accident in Bradford Hospital. But when she gets to London she mets Sam who owns a cafe and points her in the direction of Vivienne. She moves in with Vivienne and from that moment her life changes. The book also comes to life at this point I felt that Vivienne took over as the main character because th
...more
Ivy Olivia
:) :) i just love alexandra potter' romance book! :)
Fatma Mohammad
Alexandra Potter. Always a good laugh! :D
Shea
Funny writing style. Good storyline.
Nice choice for a light reading.
Dara Megan
Moc moc prijemneeeeee :))
Tata Lapus
There is nothing special about the plot.....It's your typical girl leaves boy to follow man of her dreams, girl meets new boy best friend and falls in love with man of her dreams, realizes later on that man of her dreams is not really for her and falls in love with best friend. I just love how Alexandra Potter makes the story still interesting and funny despite the overused plot. This was a fast, easy and fun read with a few lessons here and there.
Kathy Chung
well this has been a rather difficult reads. story was far fetched. how likely is it someone like her will just uproot herself to chase a dream in the form of Charles mendes? a waitress without much education and stuck in the rug if life with a "secured" bf.

what is more far fetch is that at every turn lady luck seems to be with her.

despite everything this have been a good read as it's not gloomy.
Nicole C
Mildly entertaining. Potter's books are for fun reads but to be honest I find the characters quite shallow, plus the plot is very predictable. Chasing after 'gorgeous bloke' with $$ and then realizing that the guy next door is way better and ending up together. I guess after reading her books a number of times, they just seem quite similar to each other and so I've tired of them.
Grace
What's New, Pussycat? is one of my least favorite book by Alexandra Potter. I feel that the story progresses rather slowly in the beginning that I just can't wait for Delilah to move to London. Though the story line is quite predictable and all, I have to say that between this book and Me and Mr.Darcy, I would still prefer What's New, Pussycat?
Pamela
Predictable plot, unlikable heroine with stereotypical dashing media boyfriend, down-to-earth male friend who has a crush on her, crazy BFF and same old misunderstandings that are meant to drive the plot. It was such a simple plot that I found myself rolling my eyes at the characters' presumptions and actions.
Chanpreet
It was a good book. Predictable, but entertaining. It took me a while to get into it, but it was a sweet story, if a bit unbelievable/unrealistic. This book is Alexandra Potter's first published book, and if you've read one of her later books, you can see how much Ms. Potter has improved.
Nicole
The book was good, Well I've read so far all of Alexandra Potter and this one is the shortest at least.

The story revolves around her who is looking for a meaning in her life and meets two amazing guys who is one the real one for her and the other one who is just meerly passing.
Mabel Csl
Someone you just met on the first time, may not be the love of your life, despite the physical appearance. The title is based on the song from Tom Jones, Delilah's precious black records, and her journey in search of her Mr.Right, which is actually, Mr.Wrong. But the ending is sweet :)
Noor Ashadawi
It took men's while to go through this book bc it was a bit dull and predictable... Full of cliches and really not funny. I just needed to finish if
To see what would happen. ... The ending was
So Rushed,It's as if she wrote it
In 5 minutes. Honestly, skip this book.
Aiqha
Fun and entertaining for evening till midnight reading. Even I just can predict who's the bloody person Delillah gonna be with but something in between of the story quite interesting.

I'm just curious what Charlie's doing at the end of the story.
Lynda
Loved it!!!Couldn't put it down,this book came everywhere with me till I finished.Just a really enjoyable read with characters you actually cared about for a change,even if the ending is abit tidy was a brilliant read.
Naomianna
This is not the best book ever but if you want an easy read with a happy ending then this is the book for you. It has some details about living in London and the singles scene (some of which is accurate).
Matilda
It's Alex's first novel which is reasonable to say that this novel is not as good as her recent ones. It has fairly good flow but the plot is not that exciting, not much drama, just slow flow.
Rhiannon
I love Alexandra Potter and she can do no wrong in my eyes but I have to say once I finished this book, although I can't quite explain why, I knew it was not one of my favourites.
Dora
I have to say I was quite disapointed with this book. I usually LOVE Alexandra Potter, but this was unfortunately not as good as what I'm used to from her.
Inge
It was.. okay, I guess. A bit weird and it's all so predictable so I wasn't really in a hurry to finish this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Assigning a translation to its original 4 37 Oct 23, 2013 01:52AM  
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • Recipe for Life
  • Girl Meets Ape
  • The Boy I Loved Before
  • Not What You Think
  • Divas Las Vegas: A Tale of Love, Friendship, and Sequined Underpants
  • Love Letters
  • Horse Play
  • Isobel's Wedding
  • The Celebrity Shopper (Annie Valentine, #4)
  • The Importance of Being a Bachelor
  • Only Dad
  • Dot.Homme
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • Getting Over Mr Right
  • Telling Liddy
  • Corsair (Hector Lynch, #1)
  • Late Night Talking
292656
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of TEN romantic comedies (soon to be eleven when her latest novel, Love From Paris, is published summer 2015). Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
https://twitter.com/AlexPotterBooks
instagram: al
...more
More about Alexandra Potter...
Be Careful What You Wish For Me and Mr. Darcy Who's That Girl? You're The One That I Don't Want Don't You Forget About Me

Share This Book

“Why is it that when you discover you can't have something, you want it even more?” 11 likes
“Life doesn't hang around, it keeps moving and if you don't keep up you can lose things.” 9 likes
More quotes…