Start by marking “What's New, Pussycat?” as Want to Read:
What's New, Pussycat?

What's New, Pussycat?

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  697 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Delilah has made a big decision. In fact she's made several. She's leaving Bradford, leaving her boyfriend Lenny and taking her Tom Jones record collection, her pet whippet. Fatso and herself to the bright lights of the big city... And now that she's here, it seems that down-to-earth Delilah is just what the big city was waiting for Hut whatever she does. Delilah is determ ...more
Published April 27th 2000 (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What's New, Pussycat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's New, Pussycat?

Zarah
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a review as much as it's a warning.
There will also be spoilers, so don't read anything below the spoiler break, if you haven't read the book. At least not if you plan to read it...

The short-short version of my review is this:
Sexist, agist, racist, body- and slutshaming book about a sociapathic chick who couldn't be bothered to think about anybody but hersef, but has a Sad Backstory, as if that excuses her rotten behaviour.
Chick is Very Pretty (which we are repeatedly shown) and has f
Soho_Black
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
I always enjoy discovering new authors on my wife’s side of the bookcase, although as her tastes tend to lean towards chick-lit, it’s not always an entirely pleasurable experience, particularly as the genre itself tends to be very cliched. But every author is different, so it’s only fair to give them a fair chance.

Sadly, “What’s New, Pussycat” falls into most of the genre clichés going. Right from the start, a book titled after a Tom Jones song that features a lead character called Delilah doesn
Helene
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, 2012-reads
Pamela
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Predictable plot, unlikable heroine with stereotypical dashing media boyfriend, down-to-earth male friend who has a crush on her, crazy BFF and same old misunderstandings that are meant to drive the plot. It was such a simple plot that I found myself rolling my eyes at the characters' presumptions and actions.
Tiffany
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it

First off, there was absolutely no cat in the story, which now begs the question, “What was the title all about?”. But of course, it had a reason for being, ridiculous as it may be that it was entitled after a Tom Jones song. It only went downhill from there, what with a heroine named Delilah (yet after another Tom Jones song), and the worst possible naïveté behind her decision to go to London to chase a guy she met, dreaming up a happily ever after. Then you get introduced to the shallowness of
Dils AB
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit
I was wavering between I don't like it and it was meh to ok.

It was sorta like that. The heroine is OK if she wasn't such a user. I don't know. I feel like there is nothing likable about her and why she seems to attract the attention of the rich and wealthy / sweet baffles me. Aside from her trauma in life which let's face it, many many other people have in life, there is nothing that 'shines' in her.

Which makes reading this book kind of a drag. Also. I am disappointed there is no cat. Why you
Yanny
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celá recenze zde: http://yan-ny.blog.cz/1401/co-je-nove...

Úplně první kniha, kterou má oblíbená spisovatelka napsala a zároveň zatím ta poslední, která byla u nás přeložena do češtiny.

Alexandra Potter je autorka, která jednoduše svým stylem psaní baví. Není to nijak geniální dílo, u kterého byste si kousali nehty v napětí, jak jen to může dopadnout, protože skoro od samého začátku je vám jasné, jak to dopadne, ale to je dobře, protože cílová skupina románů Alexandry Potter nechce napětí, ale chc
Els
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vele vrouwen fantaseren, al sinds ze een klein meisje waren, over hun huwelijksdag en het aanzoek dat daar aan vooraf gaat. Het is toch een droom die uitkomt, wanneer die ene vraag dan uiteindelijk gesteld wordt. Natuurlijk ga je 'ja' zeggen. Hier zat je toch op te wachten? Je moet toegeven dat je al vaker een beetje teleurgesteld was, wanneer je vond dat er zich een uitstekende gelegenheid voordeed, maar de liefde van je leven niet tot actie overging? En dan is het plots zo ver. Hij gaat, al da ...more
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Another fabulous, fresh, fast read from Alexandra potter. I was a little wary of reading this when I found out it was actually this author’s first novel. Having read most of her other, more recent, novels I was cautious in case this didn’t live up to the usual high standard that she had set in my reading expectations, however I was not disappointed!

Delilah does what so many of us have dreamed of doing, packs her back and runs off to the big city leaving her small town life and love behind. Now
Wal.li
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delilah, ja, die von Tom Jones

Genau nach der ist Delilah von ihrer viel zu früh verstorbenen Mutter benannt worden. Seit langen Jahren hütet Delilah die Sammlung der Platten des Tigers wie ihren Augapfel. Und viel mehr nimmt sie auch aus der Wohnung mit, die sie gemeinsam mit Lenny bewohnt hat. Alles in ihr hat sich gegen seinen Heiratsantrag gesträubt und eine eher zufällige Begegnung mit einem Londoner Modemacher weckt den Traum in ihr - London. Genau dorthin macht sie sich mit ihrem klapprige
Nicole
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so 3.5 stars! Cos 3 seems too little and 4 is too much;)

I have always enjoyed Alexandra Potter's books, they're always cheery and humorous! It seems that a number of her books have this magical element to them (I didn't mean all Twinkle bell and Disney here!) but this one is obviously lacking, which I wish it wasn't.

At around 50% of the book, I was like, ok, I can predict the ending, but Delilah, girl, why must you be such a stubborn B****??! That's the "hardest time" to get through.... It's
Daphne
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book uses the usual plot that is used in all of Potter's books. Woman With Financial Struggles that somehow manages to live in an expensive big city (read NYC or London). She's with Nice But Boring Guy, but his attention seems to have drifted, and she starts to doubt their relationship. Enter Strange Supernatural Happening that changes everything. But, don't worry, she has Curvy Fashionista BFF and New Love Interest at her side. Despite trying to hide her feelings for New Love Interest, for ...more
Hannah Davies
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Alexandra Potter! Romantic but not soppy, emotional but still light hearted and all the time hilarious!!!
Ivana
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Ak som dobre pochopila, je to autorkina prvotina. Klise pribeh dievciny z malomesta, ktora namiesto maturity odisla z domu za priatelom a zasekla sa v zivote servirky a zhanania penazi na najom. Zabudnute sny, zabudnute tuzby, ktore ozivi donjuan, ktoreho stretne na pohotovosti. Delila sa zbali a ocita sa v Londyne. Prakticky bez prostriedkov a v tazkej realite. Tu jej pomozu Sam a bohemka Vivienne a Delila spoznava Londyn. Vzlety a pady a zakoncenie slnieckovym zaverom.

Bohuzial, jemne mi to do
Madlenka
Recenze: http://ineedstoriestolive.blogspot.cz...

I had high expectations of Alexandra Potter as the campaign accompanying the release of her books in the Czech Republic had been massive. I expected something new and fresh and different from usual chick lit. What I got was EXACTLY the usual chick lit. As soon as all of the main characters were on the scene I didn't have the slightest doubt how it would end--that is, which guy Delilah would end up with. For some reason, she couldn't see it for abo
Tata Lapus
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing special about the plot.....It's your typical girl leaves boy to follow man of her dreams, girl meets new boy best friend and falls in love with man of her dreams, realizes later on that man of her dreams is not really for her and falls in love with best friend. I just love how Alexandra Potter makes the story still interesting and funny despite the overused plot. This was a fast, easy and fun read with a few lessons here and there.
Lena
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Popravdě, tohle byla asi nejlepší knížka od Alexandry, co jsem četla! Ne, že by ty ostatní nebyly taky skvělé, ale prostě tohlee..aw!
Už úplně od začátku jsem si zamilovala Sama. Takovej chlap, který ti vždycky pomůže, ten se těžko shání. Možná jsou poslední kusy na skladě (haha! a nebo už došli o.O)
A ona...gosh, proč jsou všechny ženské postavy závislé na chlapovi jako je tenhle? wtf. někdy jsem jí měla chuť praštit. cca 3/4 knížky. ale to je vedlejší O:)
Prostě sakra Bradford! aafgjhj! <3
Kathy Chung
well this has been a rather difficult reads. story was far fetched. how likely is it someone like her will just uproot herself to chase a dream in the form of Charles mendes? a waitress without much education and stuck in the rug if life with a "secured" bf.

what is more far fetch is that at every turn lady luck seems to be with her.

despite everything this have been a good read as it's not gloomy.
Grace
What's New, Pussycat? is one of my least favorite book by Alexandra Potter. I feel that the story progresses rather slowly in the beginning that I just can't wait for Delilah to move to London. Though the story line is quite predictable and all, I have to say that between this book and Me and Mr.Darcy, I would still prefer What's New, Pussycat?
Nicole C
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mildly entertaining. Potter's books are for fun reads but to be honest I find the characters quite shallow, plus the plot is very predictable. Chasing after 'gorgeous bloke' with $$ and then realizing that the guy next door is way better and ending up together. I guess after reading her books a number of times, they just seem quite similar to each other and so I've tired of them.
Lynda
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!Couldn't put it down,this book came everywhere with me till I finished.Just a really enjoyable read with characters you actually cared about for a change,even if the ending is abit tidy was a brilliant read.
Chanpreet
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was a good book. Predictable, but entertaining. It took me a while to get into it, but it was a sweet story, if a bit unbelievable/unrealistic. This book is Alexandra Potter's first published book, and if you've read one of her later books, you can see how much Ms. Potter has improved.
Noor Ashadawi
May 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
It took men's while to go through this book bc it was a bit dull and predictable... Full of cliches and really not funny. I just needed to finish if
To see what would happen. ... The ending was
So Rushed,It's as if she wrote it
In 5 minutes. Honestly, skip this book.
Angela
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-i-own
The book was good, Well I've read so far all of Alexandra Potter and this one is the shortest at least.

The story revolves around her who is looking for a meaning in her life and meets two amazing guys who is one the real one for her and the other one who is just meerly passing.
Naomianna
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is not the best book ever but if you want an easy read with a happy ending then this is the book for you. It has some details about living in London and the singles scene (some of which is accurate).
Aiqha
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun and entertaining for evening till midnight reading. Even I just can predict who's the bloody person Delillah gonna be with but something in between of the story quite interesting.

I'm just curious what Charlie's doing at the end of the story.
Mabel Csl
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone you just met on the first time, may not be the love of your life, despite the physical appearance. The title is based on the song from Tom Jones, Delilah's precious black records, and her journey in search of her Mr.Right, which is actually, Mr.Wrong. But the ending is sweet :)
Aileen
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it was very easy to read and follow, I would definetely recommend.
CzechKatka02
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zajímavá, vtipná a neskutečně upřímná kniha. S ní jsem svůj volný čas strávila užitečně doopravdy. :)
Dora
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was quite disapointed with this book. I usually LOVE Alexandra Potter, but this was unfortunately not as good as what I'm used to from her.
Goodreads Librari...: Assigning a translation to its original 4 79 Oct 23, 2013 01:52AM
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • Girl Meets Ape
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • Recipe for Life
  • It Had to Be You
  • Earth to Betsy (Betsy #2)
  • The Celebrity Shopper (Annie Valentine, #4)
  • Love is On the Air
  • Love Hunt (Lodes Chronicles, #4)
  • Only Dad
  • Love Letters
  • Late Night Talking
  • The Runaway Actress
  • Operation Sunshine
  • The Scent of Scandal
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: alexpotterbooks
More about Alexandra Potter
“Why is it that when you discover you can't have something, you want it even more?” 13 likes
“Life doesn't hang around, it keeps moving and if you don't keep up you can lose things.” 10 likes