Start by marking “The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories

The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories

Some of the freshest, most vital, and diverse new literature written in the twentieth century has emerged from the Caribbean. And central to Caribbean literature is the short story, with its ties with the oral tradition. Now, The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories, edited by Stewart Brown and John Wickham, brings together fifty-two stories in a major anthology represen ...more
Published March 21st 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published May 27th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories

Start your review of The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories
June
Most of these short stories reflect the diversity of the Caribbean. It includes not only the English speaking writers or poets but also those from the French, Spanish and Dutch speaking islands. Most of these authors are well known. And most of these stories are top notch.

The editors chose to arrange these 52 short stories based on the birth dates of writers. But the quality of writing is top notch. The stories can be a simple tale of the influence of family, the distant effect of war, the impa
Ellen
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A really rich collection of short stories by Caribbean writers. Though not containing the magic realism evident in some of the stories, Olive Senior's short story, "Do Angels Wear Brassieres?" plays on the theme of rebellion, prevalent in much of the collection.

The story's protagonist, Beccka, studies the Bible, not because she is devout, but in order to fight back against the righteous, stifling form of religion Aunt Mary and the other women represent. For Beccka, language is power.
Afrijewel
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely Yes
Recommended to Afrijewel by: I literally bumped into this book at the Roslindale Public Libra
Okay so I decided to read the forward and I was blown away with how well outlined and structured it was. I could not stop reading. The forward can be compared to (Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man or George Orwell's 1984)...hopefully you understand the comparison. In any case, the forward was a FANTASTIC introduction to the PHENOMENAL short stories based on 3 different segregate eras. The book is really thick... but, let me tell you... the short stories I tend to breeze through with laughter, amazem ...more
Nranger7
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I forgot to write a review for this. Like any collection, some stories are better than others, but this really was an excellent selection of writers. Many of the characters are still stuck in my head. I highly recommend it.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderful collection of stories for anyone interested in Caribbean culture and history. You can pick and choose. Some I thought were better than others, but I still ended up reading all of them.
L.T. Hewitt
Jun 04, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Don
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Many a wonderful story awaits you! Great reference, and a good source to get one started on inquiry for the English-speaking Caribbean.
Edna Desir
Apr 20, 2014
Laura Bueno
Nov 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4)
  • Checkmate (Noughts & Crosses, #3)
  • Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2)
  • Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • Black Skin, White Masks
  • Doing Harm: The Truth About How Bad Medicine and Lazy Science Leave Women Dismissed, Misdiagnosed, and Sick
  • Future Sex
  • Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
  • The English Patient
  • Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
  • Tree of Life
  • Crusader's Cross (Dave Robicheaux, #14)
  • Praisesong for the Widow
  • Beka Lamb
  • Never Far From Nowhere
  • Good Morning, Midnight
  • The Color Purple
1 follower
Stewart Brown (born 1951 in Southampton, UK)[1] is an English poet, university lecturer and scholar of African and Caribbean Literature.

(wikipedia)