Start by marking “The Satanic Rituals” as Want to Read:
The Satanic Rituals

The Satanic Rituals

The Satanic Bible was written by Anton LaVey in 1969. It is a collection of essays, observations and basic Satanic rituals, and outlines LaVey's Satanic ideology. It contains the core principles of LaVeyan Satanism and is considered the foundation of the philosophy and dogma that constitute Satanism.
Published December 1st 1976 by Avon (first published December 1st 1972)

Christy Stewart
A fine book, yadda yadda, my only comment is...I see rituals for the Call of Cthulhu all the time, but why never a Call of Barbie ritual? Cthulhu hasn't been able to help me with my hair nor catch a boyfriend.
Thomas
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
never did any rituals, because I am not a dork
Michael
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
One of these rituals was lifted word for word from H.G. Well's Island of Doctor Moreau .
Zeineb Nouira
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"5 stars for a book about worshipping the Devil?!" add to this statement a gratuitous amount of raised eyebrows from my friends and a scared, yet cute, inquisition from my roommate (who is a personification of piety) and all that sums up my experience with this book which was a DELIGHT!!

Now, do not get me wrong! I am not a Satanist and I feel comfortable in my religious beliefs.I just decided to view this book as a means to learn more about shadowy realms that edge the fire pit and not as a tool
Francesca Calarco
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
So this book was given to me as a (gag) xmas gift from my sister's (non-practicing) Jewish boyfriend, because he heard I was reading the Christian bible. True story. So I read it as unbiased as humanly possible, and it was a pretty terrible hot mess.

I suppose in its defense, "The Satanic Rituals" does set out to denounce how organized religion can be manipulated to create unhealthy dichotomies of 'us' versus 'them.' In response to these socially-derived rifts, much of the ethos of this volume i
Janna
Jun 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
I tried to read this, to be fair to all 'religions' in this quest of mine, but this crap (to steal a phrase) reads like stereo instructions. I already know the author is batsh** crazy, but I maybe should have tried the actual Satanic Bible rather than this. I kinda hoped this would give an overview of the Religion before plunging you into the rituals, but he's just a bad writer too.
C
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The phony Latin was a little off putting. Unfortunately it broke the suspension of disbelief for me in LaVey's personal credibility as an authority of Occult history. He was a known charlatan after all. Nonetheless, the book puts forward a good foundation for modern Satanic ritual.
Bert Z
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
For the satanist highly skilled in satanic rituals I'm sure this book would be very useful, I however am not very skilled so I shall be sticking to simple black mass... Interesting history of satanism in different cultures though. 3 stars.
Michael
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Satanists, Setians, occultists
Recommended to Michael by: Walter Gallo
Shelves: left-hand-path, magic
If the _Satanic Bible_ was an effort to explain the theory of Satanism, this book was intended as a means of disseminating and elaborating its practice. LaVey offers nine ritual scripts, together with introductory passages explaining their mythic and historical significance, to a public that evidently had no idea what to do with them. This book never achieved the popularity of the _Satanic Bible_, and even most Satanists today seem unaware or dismissive of it. This makes sense, given the latter- ...more
Dr. Chad Newton, PhD-HRD
Feb 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
Lavey's writings clearly contradict their literary meanings between the Satanic Bible and this companion to it. For example, Lavey argued in his first book that Satanism is not about God's adversary as deity. In fact, he argued that Satanism is basically a humanistic system with narcissistic indulgences being praised as ultimate values. However, in the Rituals text, Lavey clearly and abundantly cited all referential names of Lucifer in the ceremonial rituals such as Beelzebub, Satan, "The Devil" ...more
Andrew Pixton
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Well this was... interesting. Of all the religious texts I've perused, I'll say this was one of the most readable, likely because it's the most modern. Except for the alternate/original language sections, of course. I tried with those but on realizing I couldn't understand as much of them as I'd thought I would, I just skipped over them. It's got nice prose and very quotable. I've not tried out the rites themselves though I'd be interested in attending some. In fact, largely because of the influ ...more
Wes Young
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
kind of lacks that "umph!' of the first book. Oh wait, neither book has "umph!". This is more of the same. Honestly, not nearly as interesting as LaVey's life itself. Damn! If his parents only had a conceptional calendar they could have planned to birthed him on Halloween instead of LaVey having to forge his birth certificate. Inconsiderate!
Collin Ouellette
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly interesting as "spiritual theater". I personally loved the "Call to Cthulhu", where he literally writes a prayer to a nonexistent deity. This is a tongue and cheek jab at the superstitious nature of religion and as a whole contains some interesting pieces of writing. This book takes no spell, incantation, tarot card, astrology sign or the repeated "Ave Satanas" seriously. Its make believe, like every single other "holy book" except satanism doesn't demand a tithe.
Nate
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
To be fair it isn't really necessary to read this to understand Satanism. That is made clear if you check out the churches website. However it offers some interest invite to the ritual aspect more in depth than the Satanic Bible does. Not my cup of tea personally but as a means of expanding my understanding and knowledge base it was worth a quick read.
Dina Prinzo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was well written and quite interesting but I don't have a strong belief in these particular satanic rituals . I appreciate the context but I feel like in this case it should be taken as more of just personal inspiration. I wouldn't take these rituals seriously at all. I strongly believe that actually rituals require deeper more intense research and shouldn't be taken lightly .
Samantha Wong
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
These rituals are boring. It's just reading from the book, and this book is so small, can't even see the words clearly. Some actions are also ridiculous such as the nun is forced to urine. Also, a lot of compulsion, mandatory to prepare, dress and recite words. I can't see what is the reason of doing these rituals, it's not beneficial at all.
King Cat
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't believe that this book is the companion to the Satanic Bible. This book doesn't sound like Lavey at all. It even calls me a stupid, boring deadwood. I burned this book yesterday. I miss the Lavey (in the Satanic Bible), I'm very dissapointed with this book.
Joseph Goulet
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: satire
Would you like some tips about how to scare puritans and accomplish nothing else? Buy this book. This book is nothing more than a book of entries that serve nothing more than to frighten the unread and uneducated.
Benjamin US
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Created by the author to make money.
peachairee
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
honestly idfk🙆🏻♂ ...more
Richard
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Utter rubbish. This is the worst magician I have seen in my whole life. Waste of money, claims that when performed becomes a party "the most boring party ever!" Terrible book!
PuchoAlmighty666
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I like it but, it wasn't as interesting as the Satanic Bible.
Rose,Snyder
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: satanic-bible
Carly Nicholas
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Satanists, witches, believers of the occult
Recommended to Carly by: Satanists, Open minded spiritual people
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is about satanic rituals and ceremonies known as "the black mass" which does not involve ritual sacrifice except symbolic sacrifice. A black mass might in celebration or destruction upon a person, that the people performing the "psychodrama" for. The author talks about historical satanism, people that were considered to be witches, a servant of satan due to their scientific, or holistic/healing knowledge, so Leonardo Da Vinci and Galileo were thought of as evil and in league with satan ...more
Darren Mitton
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
While clearly a rip-off of previous works, there is an intelligent chicanery to it - like a carnival sideshow barker ordering you to be shocked & surprised by their repackaging of olden ideas. Lavey borrows heavily from German philosophy, the works of science-fiction & horror, and theosophy - and sells it like the Barnum & Bailey employee that he was (he used to work as an organist for the circus)! A philosophy primer for both students of the Left-Hand Path tradition and to occult st ...more
Robert
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not quite what I expected from this book. I started reading this to gain a more detailed insight into the psychology of satanic rituals (personal, or shared) and how to get the most from performing them, and all I got was a detailed description of various rituals with literal texts used during them and some more or less interesting passages about culture. Two stars, sorry Anton, this wasn't really for me, mainly because I can't use it... basically anyhow...
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LaVey presents a series of rituals. Whether these are viewed as autohypnotic psychodrama for the development of the self or as magical rites for the interaction with the acausal planes, then the reality is that this collection of rituals are immensely powerful.

Abdulhadi Alamri
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
i read the satanic bible a few weeks ago and although i was not impressed i thought i'd give this a chance and i'm not gonna lie i actually enjoyed reading this and i wouldn't mind to read more of Anton's books
Jorge
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The pages of The Satanic Rituals are brimming with unspeakable knowledge and power. Those within the Church of Satan or without who have little regard for this book are nothing but fools.
Billy Thorton
Mar 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: satanism
This book contains rituals and ceremonies such as the Black Mass and the Satanic Baptism for both children and Adults. Anyone into group rituals is likely to enjoy this book.

• The Secret Life of a Satanist: The Authorized Biography of Anton LaVey
  • The Satanic Scriptures
  • Necronomicon Spellbook
  • Might is Right
  • Psybermagick: Advanced Ideas in Chaos Magick
  • Lords Of The Left Hand Path: A History Of Spiritual Dissent
  • Gothic Grimoire
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language As Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Satan Is The New Cupid
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • A Field Guide to Otherkin
  • Luciferian Witchcraft
  • Prime Chaos: Adventures in Chaos Magic
  • The Book of the Law
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Mr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Math for Mystics: From the Fibonacci Sequence to Luna's Labyrinth to the Golden Section and Other Secrets of Sacred Geometry
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • Ostara: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Spring Equinox
High Priest of the Church of Satan as well as a writer, occultist, musician, and actor.

He was the author of The Satanic Bible and the founder of LaVeyan Satanism, a synthesized system of his understanding of human nature and the insights of philosophers who advocated materialism and individualism, for which he claimed no "supernatural inspiration."

LaVey viewed "Satan" not as a literal deity or e