Start by marking “The Deep: Here Be Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Deep: Here Be Dragons

The Deep: Here Be Dragons

(The Deep)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  112 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published August 31st 2011 by Gestalt (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deep

Stephen
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When I saw the cover for this at Oz Comic-Con I was immediately struck by the art style, and then after listening to Tom Taylor talk about his project with such passion I was sure it would be something worth reading, I just wasn't prepared for just how damn good it truly was. The Deep is easy to recommend to anyone, even those who have never jumped into the comic space before. A fun-filled adventure that actually sparks a sense of adventure within the reader, this is just one fun read that will ...more
Alan
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Even though my daughter is now an adult I retain the habit of picking up the occasional all ages title to see 1) how it is and 2) what passes for all ages nowadays. The first installment of The Deep is enjoyable, even though it does bear some resemblance to Saturday morning cartoon shows.

Some of the resemblance is the art style which shows a definite animation influence. As this is an introductory story I am not expecting much in the way of character development.

There are some significant pluses
Tehani
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great graphic novel! Love the artwork, love the story, and the hint of what is to follow. Fantastic stuff!
Andrée
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I can't wait to find out what happens in the next issue.

Also, I suspect Jeffrey the fish has a deep, dark past too. Haha.
Lyn Battersby
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.
47Time
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-fiction
The expressive artwork is very much like the cartoons you see on TV, something that seems rare in comics I've read. The 3-issue arc has time for a few jokes and a quick adventure, but little else. Still, it's a fun read that reminds me of the very PG-13 cartoons of my youth.

The Nektons decide to investigate an area marked dangerous on some old maps of Greenland. Each 55 years an underwater earthquake brings with it sightings of a sea monster. The Nektons use their Rover to dive into the trench f
Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middlegrade
19 December , 2016

I really enjoyed this comic, it's about a family of aquanauts who explore the Ocean and are looking for Atlantis. I found this to be really fun and lighthearted so naturally I also had to pick up volume 2 immediately.
Liz
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A solid beginning. Curious to see where it goes and how characters continue to develop.
Elton
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun all ages read.
Raina
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm so in love with this series. I can not wait until the second one comes to my library system. There are not enough nonwhite people starring in nonmanga comic books.

This features a very real feeling mixed-race family who happen to live in this state-of-the-art submarine in the ocean. There's a mom, a dad, a teenage daughter, and a tween-aged son. When people start telling stories about dragons in a remote part of the waters, the family is called to investigate.

I really hope this series lasts
Deborah Biancotti
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deborah was the convenor of the Graphic Novel/Illustrated Works category for the Aurealis Awards in 2011. This review/rating is the personal opinion of Deborah herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

From the Aurealis Awards Judges' Report 2011:

Strong story-telling and glorious artwork in this young adult entry mark this as a professionally polished piece about a family ‘in deep water’. Sophistica
Jeffrey West
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art in The Deep is really fun and the writing is witty. I love seeing the underwater world through this family of explorers. They're like the Incredibles. If the Incredibles were not super and favored water to fighting super villains.
By the end, I knew I was hooked. I mean, when they revealed the big picture of what they're searching for, I wanted to read the second book. The lost city of Atlantis is one of my favorite legends and I can't wait to see the rest of this story pan out!
May
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a really short, but well-done comic. I wish it had continued, because I really liked the characters and the art style, and the premise of it sets up really well to be a series! But it's a great, fun read if you're looking for a stand-alone comic.
Christopher Mclean
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is what a YA adventure story should be! Great, clean art, entertaining characters, quick, witty dialogue, fantastic locations and a strong sense of wonder. My only complaint is that it was all over a little bit to quickly.
Steben
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!! I can't wait to find out what happens in the next issue. (really not)

Also, I suspect Jeffrey the fish has a deep, dark past too. Haha. (I know in the deep of my heart the fish is evil xD)
Richard Harrison
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, accessible, witty and clever comic. Well worth your time, however old you are
Julie
Jun 13, 2016
Ley Saulnier
May 04, 2014
Prince Mubeen
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2015
Mar 24, 2017
Kim
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Once a professional juggler and fire eater, Tom Taylor is a #1 New York Times Bestselling, multi-award-winning comic book writer, playwright and screenwriter.

Taylor is the co-creator of the Aurealis-Award-winning graphic novel series THE DEEP (which tells the adventures of a multiethnic family of underwater explorers who live on a submarine). Taylor is also the Head Writer/Co-creator and Executive

The Deep (2 books)