Start by marking “Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)” as Want to Read:
Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)

Middle Ground (Awaken #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  4,422 Ratings  ·  388 Reviews
For four weeks Maddie has been living in Los Angeles, trying to be good. But no matter how hard she tries, something inside her won't be sated. She can't live a life of half-truths and false pretenses. So one night, she says how she really feels.

That's all it takes. One night. One bad decision, and Maddie is thrown into a detention center where she's forced to undergo secr
Published November 20th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Middle Ground, please sign up.
YA Novels of 2012
1,322 books — 10,711 voters
Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
143 books — 843 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela

My thoughts:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
Megan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Ho.ly.crap. The best and worst thing about this series is that it doesn't seem far-fetched. I don't generally get into futuristic stuff but this is a world that, sadly, I can imagine becoming reality.

When Maddie is hauled off to a detention center, it's obviously not going to be a walk in the park. The truth behind the gates is actually quite terrifying. Jaw-droppingly scary. And once again, it's not difficult to imagine something like this happening which makes me so sad. Maddie's fight to kee
Marietta
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aww... Das Ende ist so romantisch, da kann ich gar nicht anders, als 5 Sterne zu geben♡
Thessia
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ein paar Logik Fehler waren drin, ansonsten war es ein richtig guter zweiter Teil!!
Chelsea Groves
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an exciting sequel to the first book "Awaken"! I couldn't put it down and once I was finished I wanted to read it over again! It's a wonderful story about the life of a young girl striving for the freedom to experience her life without being controlled by technology! It's a scary look into a possible realistic future and it leaves you contemplating your own life and how you are really "living" it! Fantastic read! Cannot wait for the next book!
Audrey
Love it! It's not my favorite favorite out of the series, it's a little slow, but I still love it. I think even though Maddie's stuck in the detention center for a good part of the book that part is still packed with good information and action.
Smash
Courtesy of Smash Attack Reads

INTEREST IN BOOK: If you’ve been paying attention, you know that Awaken was a book that spoke loudly to me. I was very wrapped up in the possibility of the scenario. I was also very affected by experiencing Maddie’s awakening, when Justin assists her in “unplugging.” It was beautiful to watch her reconnecting with her senses and experiencing emotions she never knew existed. Being that I’m a social worker, I understand how very important socialization and social supp
Wendy Hines
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this anticipated sequel to Awaken, Middle Ground picks up with Maddie living with her brother in Los Angeles. The year is 2060. She's supposed to be in a detention facility, but her father has used his powers to do some fancy paperwork to make it look like she is. While Maddie is happy in LA, she misses her boyfriend Justin, who is working at intercepting other kids on their way to the detention facilities and inviting them to join their cause. It's their biggest goal to get rid of DS, digita ...more
Leesya Nazman
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I have mixed feelings toward this book. It was very good, and I enjoyed it...
But I feel like it was lacking of emotions? Or it's just me? Like probably I was in bad mood during these days or something. I felt empty, and nothing, to be honest.

Why did I rate it pretty high?
Katie's writing/quotes are so beautiful and inspiring honestly. Or shall I say, Justin Solvi's quotes? Or Maddie's lil diary? The quotes in this book are beyond beautiful and very meaningful. This story has taught me a
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
I really feel like nothing happened to significantly further the storyline. She goes into the DC. She gets out. Books over. And so what they rescued one place. Now all the people in every other one can't even leave when their time is up. How are they celebrating? They seem no closer to ending DS. I liked Gabe but he didn't seem to join their fight on getting out. Or even hooking up with Claire. It was never solidly decided who the rat was. And poor Pat is just made such a creep throughout this b ...more
blue
OH MY GOD. She gets in a detention center?! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I FUCKING WANTED. Yes, yes yes yes yes motherfucking YES. Dammit, I hope I love this book. And I hope Justin is never in it, ahahahaha! Damn yes. Hell yes.

I think there was something else I was going to say but I read the summary and I forgot it.

I hope she writes more entries in her journal. LOTS of entries. <3333

Oh, I really love the title of this one. <333
Cait S
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much better than the first one. Still not thrilled with how Justin rambles off on these tangents that sound more like an inspiring Star Trek monologue than anything anyone would actually say. And also if I had to read about Maddie cupping his face one more time I was going to throw myself out a window. But other than that, this was a good installment. Interested to see how the series ends.
Amit
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Photo Grid 1503219971163

JUSTIN SOLVI! Damn You! You know what I love you bro and right now I am considering you as my Blood Brother. Thumbs up…

& of course to MADDIE! Haven’t I yet told you in that past (1st novel of this novel series) time that I love you? Guess what! I love you even more now that what I read after finishing this novel…

1. I wondered which emotion was more powerful in the human mind : fear or desire…

2. I tried to distract myself. I designed two digital windows in my room because the walls were suffo
Amy
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was worried that this book wouldn't be as good as the first, but I actually think I liked it even more! I think the concept of this book is just brilliant, and I think a lot of people would probably benefit from reading this and realizing that, even now, we spend too much time on computers/phones/tablets/what have you. Not even that, but I really enjoyed at the end of the book when Maddie's father was talking about how life has always been miserable (even without technology taking over) becaus ...more
Berna
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this saga!! The world in here is fascinating!

So, this book starts with Maddie in L.A., trying to stay out of trouble, until one night she can't help herself and shuts down an online club. That gets her into a detention center. We get to see what happen inside of them, and it's inhuman. They drugged them, implant nightmares and sensations such as fear, to isolate them, so then they would only want a virtual, secure life.
Justin and their friends, with the help of Gabe, (we could say he
Sophie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book, like its predecessor, was SO good. I have always liked sequels in that they're a little bit more relaxed and thought out (like there is more intellectual action than physical action), and this book had a very good mixture of both.

It was good to begin to get a sense of the finer details in the storyline, but it also had so many sparks of movement and complications and romance (which was seriously ridiculously addicting in this one) that kept it going.

The characters were put through o
Anne Bücherwelt
Cover:
Das Titelbild des zweiten Bandes ist wie der erste Band aufgebaut. Diesmal sind die Farben blau und weiß. In der Mitte ist das Gesicht von Maddie zu sehen. Trotzdem ist es ansprechend. Leider kann es nach einer Weile sehr eintönig wirken. Gesamt ist das Cover gut gelungen.

Meine Meinung:
Trotz spannenden ersten Band ist dies ein Level oben drüber. Ein wahrhafter, spannender, kleiner Thiller!

Die Handlung:
Die Geschichte beginnt erst sehr schleppend. Erst als Maddie in die Haftanstalt kommt, wi
Kate
Sep 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't really have expectations going into this book so I said I would give it a chance, but it did not prove worth it. On the contrary this book made me wish I hadn't wasted my time!

This will contain spoilers so bear with me.

So the book begins and Maddie is living with her brother and is using DS again and not really caring about what she was apparently disgusted with previous book. Well ok then. Then she goes to a club and decides to hate technology again cause you know she's consistent like
Brandy
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“I realized how hard it that must have been, how much hurt when you know the only way to help someone is to give him distance. So I let him go.”

Before I go into a rant (of sorts), I would like to start by announcing that I loved the book. I didn't want to put it down.

Okay, the ending of this book was extremely frustrating...a cliffhanger...I knew there was going to be a cliffhanger, which is why I attempted to read the book slow (as if the difference between one or two days would matter...I. THI
Charlene Pimentel
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay let me start off by saying this book seemed so real to me. I can't help mentally responding to Pat's ignorance and closed-mindedness of Maddie's dad. Although they're not exactly on the same side, both of them can't fathom why Justin and Maddie won't give up.

"Life is what it is," he said.
"Life is what you make it." I argued.

I want to talk about each detail of this book. It's so perfect, it would be a pleasure to write it on 10 paged paper. Or maybe i just think too much i need that much of
Amara Luciano
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In less words: Feeling very much like Maddie during a scene in which she has to define herself in a 29-question questionnaire, I abhor the idea of trying to manipulate your interest in reading this book by using a mere paragraph. Blech. Because you must be manipulated, cajoled, tricked, beaten into reading MIDDLE GROUND by Katie Kacvinsky. It may have just bumped itself up to my number one slot on my list of favorite books of the year. My wariness toward this sequel was utterly unfounded, and, h ...more
vorpalone
PER-FEC-TION.
I finished this book in an hour and fifty minutes flat.
FREAKING EPIC.
Maddie has now been sent to a correctional facility by her BROTHER, Joe,the ass (see update on my profile), where they try to break into her mind and restore her to being some kind of digital freak.

Seriously. Said book is eye-opening. Kacvinsky's writing style is something to be admired. It makes you actually believe in what she writes, which is not something very many authors can pull off.
Okay. So first, the book
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
There's something about Middle Ground's world and society that makes you want to question how we use technology in our every day lives. This is why I found this book so realistic. Maddie does seem to make rash decisions in this one and I couldn't help but shake my head when she did it. Even though the story continued on, I felt that the society and the plot that was in the first book, Awaken went on pause.

This might even be a filler book (as most second books are!), where the emphasis is on the
Apol
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Won an ARC from her "get unplugged" contest.

I honestly have to say I was a bit disappointed with this one. Too much inner monologue and preaching, it got boring after a while. A lot of readers pointed out that this was one of Justin's flaws in Awaken (I didn't mind so much, because I really liked Awaken), so I would have thought the author already fixed her tendencies to over-ruminate.

Katie Kacvinsky really needs to understand more the writing concept of showing, not telling. On a more positiv
Frida - Photos and Books
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jag hade på ett eller annat sätt räknat med att den här boken inte kunde vara lika bra som första, för den första blew my mind! Men ändå var Middle Ground häftig och underbar på sitt sätt. Den fick mig att rysa tusen gånger om och jag imponerad ändå att det blev så bra som det blev. Men den kan tyvärr inte slå första boken.

Det enda som är lite difust för mig är att jag har ingen aning om vad kommer att hända i nästa bok. Varför kan inte problemet få ligga lite i luften för att peppa upp en för
Jilly
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
I read the first book ages ago and finally got around to this one (I'm on a quest to read books that have been on my "to read" shelf forever). After all the wait..... meh...

The first book was much better. However, I do love the main character, with her spunky ways - she is fun to read. I especially loved the scene when they were in the nightclub and how she dressed her avatar in sweatpants and slippers. ;)

I also wish they had wrapped it up with this book because I'm not really interested in read
Lulufrances
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this book is way to underrated and not acknowledged enough!

Scarily possible developments of society are portrayed, soooo chillingly realistic.
Plus I like Justin again. (Relief - as I wasn't too fond of him inbetween)
Kacvinsky has a very fluent style, thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Bella
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was ich an dieser Dystopie so gerne mag ist, dass sie realer als andere ist. Eine so digitalisierte Welt ist viel greifbarer und wirkt erschreckender.
Trotzdem kann ich mich nicht mit Justin und Maddies Liebe zu ihm anfreunden, ich konnte mich da kaum reinfühlen.
Emilyjayne
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh my gosh so good
Lisa
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne

Ein seeeehr gutes Buch. Besser noch als das erste. Ich freu mich so darauf, Buch drei zu lesen!
  • Surrender (Possession #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
  • Dark Destiny (Dark Canopy, #2)
  • Divided (Setenid Blight, #2)
  • Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)
  • The Island (The Line, #3)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Passion (Desire, #3)
  • Logan und Gwen  (Das verbotene Eden, #2)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Once (Eve, #2)
I am publishing my latest book (in 2017) under the pen name KATIE RAY. Be sure to check out my other books (First Comes Love, Second Chance, Finally Forever, Awaken, Middle Ground, and Still Point), published under my legal name, KATIE KACVINSKY. You can find out more about me and my books at my website:
www.katieraybooks.wordpress.com

Awaken (3 books)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
  • Still Point (Awaken, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
You can always make time for people. The point is, you have to want to. 49 likes
“Letting go is easy. Anyone can do that. Love is fighting for someone to stay. That's what takes work.” 38 likes