Start by marking “The Night Tourist (Jack Perdu, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Tourist (Jack Perdu, #1)

The Night Tourist

(Jack Perdu #1)

Jack Perdu, a shy ninth grade classics prodigy, lives with his father on the Yale University campus. Smart and introverted, Jack spends most of his time alone, his nose buried in a book. But when Jack suffers a near fatal accident, his life is forever changed.
His father sends him to a mysterious doctor in New York City, a place Jack hasn't been since his mother died there
Hardcover, First Edition, 232 pages
Published September 18th 2007 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about The Night Tourist, please sign up.
Addy The awnser to who warned jack about a car about to hit him was Tanya.

Rebecca McNutt
The Night Tourist is such an incredible book, one of the best I've read this year so far, I think. Not only is it set in beautiful and scenic New York City, but its take on ghosts and their alternate world is something else entirely. This is a book which reminded me very much of why I love ghost stories so much - death is never just the end of life, but instead a journey. Jack, an introverted high-schooler whose life is hardly what anybody would consider normal, is an excellent character, but Ma ...more
Marie-Jo Fortis
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Katherine Marsh does a very clever revisiting of the Orpheus-Eurydice myth while making us re-visit the Big Apple --a mythical town of sorts. It's a wintery visit, though --an important detail here. While the stylish, humorous language flows like an elegant spirit, this novel for adolescents (this adult didn't mind reading it, either) addresses the most serious of topics: death. A fourteen-year old boy, Jack, does not accept the passing of his mother and wants to meet her in the beyond. This bey ...more
Kate
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Teen Book Club selection
I thought this sounded interesting as a modern take on the Orpheus / Eurydice myth, and when I saw this book's cover in real life (as opposed to little pictures online) I was like WOW. It's so iridescent and pretty.

Jack, a classics prodigy translating Ovid's Metamorphoses (read that in college), when he gets hit by a bus. He lives, but suddenly he can see ghosts. His father sends him to a doctor in New York City, and before Jack knows it, he is off on a journey to the New York City underworld w
Kit★
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up off the bargain rack around New Years 2011, but I was only recently compelled to go ahead and get into it.I'm really glad it finally called to me, I found it to be quite a good little story. A pleasant surprise if you will, a good first book of the new year. The main character Jack Perdu was easy to like and feel for, being a misfit and all. He's also very smart, and excellent in Latin, a language I've always wanted to learn but never have. His mother died when he was young, ...more
Sonia
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Many thanks to Susann for telling me about this book and then sending it to me!

So, here is the Latin professor's pedantry:
I liked this book a lot--good characters, generally good writing except for some clunky descriptions of place. It was an original variation on Orpheus (I also like that Tennessee Williams appears), and I find the idea of the Underworld entrance in Grand Central much more compelling than Olympus in the Empire State Building.

But why do novels featuring Classics students and pro
Lalaine *myficbookreviews*
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
hello guys, ive just finished reading this book by Katherin. I thought this book was pretty good. one thing I dont like was the ending, i dont know, maybe i was used of having most of my book a happy ending. It's not that bad ending i just felt bad for Euri. Anyway, Jack Perdu, a shy but smart school boy had a near fatal accident and his life changed forever. After the accident, weird things has been happening to him. then his father sent him in New York -its been years since hed been there afte ...more
Kathryn
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best pieces of contemporary young adult fiction I have read in a long time. Wonderful, poetic language makes it a great read aloud book. The characters are beautifully drawn and the allusions to classical mythology sometimes resonate in profound ways. Yet, the book is not only serious and poignant, it is playful and funny too, in part through the allusions to the lives, poetry, plays and other works of many great New Yorkers past. Katherine Marsh gives real New York spaces and places ...more
Aprielle
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The modern type of Orpheus and Eurydice's story in mythology.
Mir
A lonely young boy accidentally enters the world of the dead beneath NYC. There he searches for his dead mother.
Cherie
I think it was an okay story, but I will not be reading the next book.
Cynthia
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jack Perdu is a 15 year old fascinated by all things latin. One day, while reading a text, he gets hit by a car. Luckily, it's nothing bad but he's been seeing weird things since. His father sends him to a doctor in NY. On the way back, he meets Euri at the train station. She's been dead for a while and she takes him on a journey through the NY of the dead. All the while, he's searching for his mom who died in NY 8 years ago.

Good book, very easily read. I love the author's vision of death : all
Claire
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: supernatural, mystery, alternate New York
Winner of 2008 Edgar Award followed by the excellent book, The Twilight Prisoner.

Jack lives with his dad at Yale, his mother died years ago- his dad won't talk about her.
He has his nose in a book - he is a Latin prodigy- translating Metamorphoses- and walks in front of a car, literally knocking the life out of him. When he comes to and comes home, he finds he can see ghosts- those who have died and not yet got to Elysium Fields. He realizes this is an opportunity to find his mother and get quest
Kristen
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jack lost his mother eight years ago and has just suffered a recent accident. After the accident, he is seeing some strange things and a girl ends up leading him to the afterworld under New York. It had a nice twist of mythology in the urban setting and was a quick and enjoyable read.
Trina
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading modern interpretations of classic myths -- and I especially enjoy books that I can recommend to my middle school mythology geeks, but as much as I liked the ideas behind this book, the plot seemed a little too basic and straightforward.
Sara
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great young adult read. This book would definitely be a book to read to a young adult who has lost a parent or even one questioning what happens after someone passes. Even though, I know that the story is make believe I feel as though it would help some with the loss of a loved one.
Susan
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2012
Loved this story - the characters, subterrain New York, ghosts, secret passages, character stories and personalities, resolution - everything. It is a wonderfully imaginative tale and I'm so glad I found it.

I could not have asked for a better audio to spend time with!
Jess
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A ghost story with an interesting twist, it was pretty good.
Alejandra Yamal
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since I was little I’ve always been fascinated by Greek mythology, I only read books based on that topic and one day I was looking for books similar to Percy Jackson because I wanted to read just a simple book and luckily I found The Night Tourist, a novel that surprisingly, later will become one of my favorites. I’ve never read any of Marsh’s books but this one got my attention. The genre of the book is fantasy with a lot of mystery that is clearly shown throughout the novel.
The journey that J
Jaysta
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack Perdu is a super smart kid with an interest in Latin who lives on the Yale campus with his dad. He’s your typical genius; spends most of time time alone, very introverted, nine times out of ten he has his nose buried in a book.

One night, as he is walking home, Jack is hit by a car and nearly dies… and his dad is a little worried. He sends Jack to a special doctor in NYC (where Jack’s mom lived before she died and Jack’s dad moved them to Yale) to make sure Jack is in tip top shape. On his w
Amy
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

I'm looking for a summer reading title for rising 9th graders. It needs to be related to Ancient Greece; I liked this one because it was a modern retelling of Eurydice and Orpheus.

Why I would have enjoyed assigning the book:
1. Greek references
2. Literary references (Dante's Inferno , Dylan Thomas, Tennessee Williams, etc.)
3. Assignments such as reading maps, history of famous NYC buildings
4. It's an easy, fun read, perfect for assigned summer reading.

I could see SO MANY opportunities
Kelly Knapp
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all young adults
Recommended to Kelly by: Scholastic book sale
What if you learned there was an entrance to the afterlife under New York. What if you had a map? What if your mom died when you were little? Would you use the map? Enter the afterlife? Find your Mom?

Jack Perdu learns there is an entrance, finds a map, and even goes to find his Mom...There he meets a girl, who wants to return to Life...can it be done? Just as Jack starts to find answers, he is recognized as a living being and the chase is on.

Great read, lots of fun, and a few surprises.
Vintagebooklvr
A fun action book that blends Greek myth with alternate New York filled with ghosts from the past. There are a lot of literary and other cultural references that are nice to see in a young adult book, some people actually do get the references. It also deals with loss and coming to terms with it. It is not easy to blend these two things together well.
Jeanette
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought I had already reviews this one but noticed it was listed as still reading so here goes. It's been quite a while since we finished this book. It was interesting and will definitely make me look at fountains at dusk if I'm ever in New York , but it is a teen book so lacks some interest for me. My son enjoyed the book. I think it's good for upper middle school age.
Rafid Shidqi
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's the first teenlit story I've read. I like the fantasy it offered about the ghost and supernatural things. But I feel like the cultural background of the book is not very solid. But I still enjoyed the story after all. Look forward to read the sequel
Carmen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I must have added this to my to-read pile either because I knew it featured the library or because I knew it featured a map I know from work, either way it was a meh retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice and the narrator of the audiobook used terrible voices that were an absolute distraction.
Dakota Young
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The second half was much better than the first half. At first I was not drawn into this book at all, but by the end I found myself invested in the story. This is a cute novel very fitting for young adults.
Redding
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book tells a wonderful story of a boy named Jack and what he must face in order to find his mom with a ghostly girl named Euri
Jo Williams
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good young adult fantasy/supernatural story.
Ashley Moore
This was an interesting, Americanized and more childish version of Greek myth. It was a quick and interesting read.
Emily
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this and I absolutely loved it. Read it in a day. I didnt even know it was a series
Around the Year i...: The Night Tourist, by Katherine Marsh 2 8 Aug 09, 2018 05:20PM

• Iris, Messenger
  • Horns and Wrinkles
  • Changeling (Changeling, #1)
  • Snakehead
  • Lily's Ghosts
  • Gods of Manhattan (Gods of Manhattan, #1)
  • The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • The Dead Gentleman
  • So This is How it Ends (Avatars, #1)
  • The Chaos Code
  • King of Ithaka
  • Frannie in Pieces
  • Princess Rose and the Crystal Castle
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • Dream Girl
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)

Jack Perdu (2 books)
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
“I think I know a place we can go where they know about unnatural things.” 2 likes