Start by marking “Eric Carle's Animals Animals” as Want to Read:
Eric Carle's Animals Animals

Eric Carle's Animals Animals

From leaping, flying fish to dancing butterflies, and camels that "trollop along," Eric Carle's brilliant and colorful collage designs bring to life animal poems from such diverse sources as Shakespeare, Lewis Carroll, Rudyard Kipling, Emily Dickinson, and Jack Prelutsky, as well as Bible verses, Japanese haiku, American Indian poems and more. This celebration of the wonde ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Puffin Books (first published August 17th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Eric Carle's Animals Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eric Carle's Animals Animals

Start your review of Eric Carle's Animals Animals
Hilary
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of Eric Carle's distinctive crayon cut out collage illustrations with accompanying poetry, proverbs and haiku on the animals featured. The book ended with Rosetti's Hurt Not a Living Thing which is a lovely poem.

Read on open library.
Cheryl
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm glad to learn that this is on openlibrary, but it also deserves to be oversize hardcover, like the edition my library lent me. If you like Carle's work, as most ppl do, you'll love this. Except for the picture of the narwhal, which Carle got wrong.

I do like the selection that Whipple made. As the blurb says, everything from Shakespeare to Prelutsky to haiku, even a couple of Native American verses.
Denise Leung
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Awards:
Parenting Magazine’s Reading Magic Awards Certificate of Excellence, 1989
John Burroughs Nature Book List For Young Readers, The John Burroughs Association, 1989
Redbook Magazine’s Top Ten Children’s Books of the Year, 1989
Parents Best Kid’s Books of 1989
American Library Association (ALA) Booklist Children’s Editor’s Choices, 1989.
Appropriate Grade Levels: Pre-K through 3rd

Original Summary: A collection of poems about all types of animals odd and ones you would see in your home, outside i
Jordyn Matthews
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book is a compilation of mini stories about a large variety of animals. The creatures mentioned vary from a kangaroo to a dinosaur to a snail. On each page, there is a new type of animal, with a detailed illustration of them and a passage about that animal along with the original author’s name underneath each passage.

This book is something that I would recommend having in a classroom of younger children. It talks about all different kinds of animals that live throughout the world, along wi
Hannah Wilson
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This unique book employs many traditional poems mixed with lovely collages created by Carle himself. The illustrations are a great interpretation of the many poems that are found on every single page. The visual variety mixed with the literary variety makes for the perfect mash-up of sensational illustrations with worldly poems. The poems and illustrations work together to create a rather exciting story. Animals Animals can be used in the classroom to expose children to the world of poetry. This ...more
Alysha Martinez
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Collection of Poetry
Awards: None
Audience: 5-12 years old

A. Animals Animals is a collection of a variety of short poems from many writers (including lyrical pieces and haikus) that are based on many different animals. Eric Carle has illustrations of each animal per poem.
B. In the poem, "The Duck", there is a presence of consonance. For example: duck & cluck, lacks & quacks, fond & pond, sups & up.
C. Create a poem about your favorite animal.
Example:
The horse is wild and free
roaming all day
Katherine
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Eric Carle's illustrations are a joy to look at. Each page is a different animal with a poem attached. The poems range from Bible verses to Hungarian proverbs There is a Christian element to the book, so be aware when recommending or looking to do this as a read aloud. Nevertheless, it is a fun and enjoyable read. ...more
Kelly Buchanan
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of poems to share with my daughter. Be aware that a few of the selections contain some dated language, so we did have to navigate around that. But, as always, Carle's illustrations are magical, and our little one was fascinated by them. Every time we get to the octopus cover image, she giggles! Worth it just for that! ...more
Cathy Sheetz
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
Vibrant illustrations accompany each poem of different creatures. Great intro to poetry book for young children, especially (K-2nd grade). These could be used individually as a read aloud piece of literature and discussion or for highlighting word choice or phonics (picking out rhymes or beginning sounds, etc.). Classroom library for K-2nd grade.
Melissa Maynard
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Eric Carl's Animals Animals is filled with many different pictures of animals from around the world. Each page has a new animal depicted on it and introduces to new experiences, new vocabulary, and new animals. ...more
Sarah Harper
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is an explorative text that offers many references to several types of animals. Children will be curious and explorative to what creatures are brought to life by the richness and style that this author provides though the extension of poems.
Sofia Seledkov
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eric Carle's Animals Animals by Eric Carle , 1999. This book is a compilation of many mini stories about animals which are super adorable, engaging, colorful, and each page talks about a different animal. It allows children to learn about animals while practicing rhyming. Age range: k-5 ...more
H
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Sandy
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle compiled a collection of poems about animals and created beautiful illustrations to accompany each. I love this book for the opportunity to introduce children to a plethora of different writing styles, authors and animals.
Monica P
We read bits and pieces for school. Still not a fan of Eric Carole.
Melissa Butler
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Eric Carle is a great author for children with awesome illustrations and a good storyline
Kitty
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book
This is the first book that the baby girl actually sat to listen to (usually she gets mad or tries to eat the book... or both).
Mely
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! I heart Eric Carle art and the poetry collection is wonderful! So many unique and different animals from around the world. Definitely a book to cherish and add to your home collection.
Julie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun poems about animals and Eric Carle’s classic illustrations.
Nikki
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an immensely charming book. I love to read children’s stories because it reminds me of my introduction to reading and how magical it truly is.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another illustrated book of passages, which makes for a lovely bit of reading.
Trish
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: je, 2019
This is a bunch of poems and sayings. Eric Carle did the illustrations.
Kaylyn Burrow
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-5
This book is a great poetry book that uses many verbs to describe the animals. This would be great when introducing verbs to the class.
Kylie Harris
Fun picture book for children about different animals
Keshia
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved this book! Such a fun way to introduce young readers to poetry. And, as always, the illustrations were excellent!
Nichole Ostrander
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My son said it was ok but he is not a fan of poems. My girls loved it. So many diverse poems to give you look into that vast world.
Michele Johnston
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
So fun to read!
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I love the combination of poetry and learning more about animals that this book provides.
Abbey Pignatari
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
4/5 (physical book)

I love Eric Carle books, and this one did not disappoint. The illustrations were beautiful, and the unique proverb-like/poem-like telling made it different than his other stories.
Amanda
Brilliant. I love studying the layers of Eric Carle's art. This is a beautiful book of his animals, with poetry (various forms, from various people) accompanying each. I'd say it's to be enjoyed by adults as much as by children, but better yet- together by both.

I requested this book from our library system as "research" for an Eric Carle inspired animal collage art program I was planning and facilitating. I'd love to have my own copy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • All the World
  • Penguinaut!
  • One Grain of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • My Brother Charlie
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Chicken Sunday
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

News & Interviews