Start by marking “The Pyramids of London (The Trifold Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pyramids of London (The Trifold Age, #1)

The Pyramids of London

(The Trifold Age #1)

In a world where lightning sustained the Roman Empire, and Egypt's vampiric god-kings spread their influence through medicine and good weather, tiny Prytennia's fortunes are rising with the ships that have made her undisputed ruler of the air.

But the peace of recent decades is under threat. Rome's automaton-driven wealth is waning along with the New Republic's supply of po
Published February 28th 2015 by Andrea K. Hösth (first published February 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Pyramids of London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pyramids of London

Sherwood Smith
This book illustrates the best of indie freedom.

This is not to denigrate traditional publishing. I like traditional publishing! But it has its limitations: supposing one reaches an enthusiastic editor (and I don’t know why traditional publishers are not all over Australian writer Höst–or maybe they have been but she’s determined on the indie course) but anyway, supposing this book jazzed an editor as much as it jazzed me, where would the sales force slot it? There are dual POVs, equally importa
Andrea
Aug 17, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This was one of the more challenging books for me to write, just because when you start with an alt history of _our_ world you suddenly find yourself with the problem of how complex our world is. So many countries, so many different peoples, so many stories.

It amazed me, doing the research for this book, how much I didn't know about my own world. A million layers of civilisation, most forgotten, or half-remembered, or barely understood. I've read and seen stories about Egyptians all my life, but
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though typical of Höst's work (and those who have read my reviews at all know I mean that in the best possible way), I wouldn't recommend this one to start. The reason for that is mainly that this one has a lot more to digest up front from her usual—not just names of important characters, but entire cultures and a remapped England and magical terminology and, well, stuff. It was maybe the first third before I felt I could read with confidence (and even then I still had to remind myself what some ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
2/5; 2 stars; C+

I have given a lot of thought to how I should rate this book but the bottom line is, if I wasn't doing a buddy read, I would have abandoned it in the middle. I feel disloyal saying this because I like other books by this author, very much.

The book starts out well. I was interested in the world building. The different ideas about vampires, geography, paths to the afterlife, were all very intriguing. I thought the main female character, Rian, had potential as well as the three chi
Chris Fellows
This is a confident, capering, chaotic salamagundi of a book, which unapologetically demands the reader drink from the fire hose. It is a dense fruitcake of unfamiliar nuts and glazed fruits hitherto unknown, artificially coloured in scarlet and teal and various colours only visible to bees.

Needless to say from the sentences above, I loved the sheer number and density of unfamiliar things and ideas in the world of the Pyramids of London. Any world that is profoundly different from our own should
Roslyn
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel shouldn’t work. Just about every kind of mythology together with gods, vampires, automatons, steampunk, political conflict, alternate history containing both familiar and the unfamiliar elements from our world, and adult and child/teen points of view in one book - it should be a hopeless mashup. It does require some focused attention from the reader – and at times it’s just a tad too complicated for its own good – but I enjoyed the ride enormously.

I loved the world-building, I loved t
Mara
May 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When starting 60%+ I realized I was skimming heavily, I decided to call it a day, and DNF it.

Update: I skim-read to the end to see where it was going. Nothing changed my thoughts.

My mother used to say that art is purely personal, and I can't agree more after reading this book. She used to say she wouldn't want a Picasso in her home, even if she recognized his mastery fully. In the same way I realize this book has a great, stunning world, but I can't in any way connect with it.

Some of it is due
Beth
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo, re-reading
Highly recommended!

Similar in tone to the Parisol Protectorate books -- but not at all in content or plot. The heroine Rian is very calm, and perhaps flippent at times -- at least to outward appearances.

Very intriguing alternate universe where Rome powers all their engineering with 'fulgite'(aka lightning) rocks, Egypt is ruled by 'stone bloods' (aka Vampyres) and Britain is three seperate countries -- but instead of ruling the seas 'England' (sorry the book name has slipped my mind Pyr... Pr..g
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Good ideas in terms of world building, although in general, I found the novel a little confusing.

Lots of concepts introduced here, with references to our world: Prytennia is obviously Britain, the Roman Empire and Egypt speak for themselves, and so it was very easy to picture the setting, geographically speaking. There's still royalty in "Britain": check. Lutèce is Paris: check (shall I admit to knowing quite a
Li
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m a diehard AKH fan, but I admit to feeling a bit nervous about this book when I first read the blurb – talk about everything and the kitchen sink…

But I needn’t have worried. Although it’s the kind of book that drops you in the middle of the action, and trusts you to work out the details for yourself (my favourite!), it was never overwhelming, and everything fell into place fairly quickly – yes, vampires, pyramids, airships, and well, everything else somehow worked together in this incredibly
Saruuh Kelsey
Outstanding.

This book shouldn't work. Vampires and mythology and a totally reimagined world with elements of steampunk. It shouldn't but it does. Everything fits together seamlessly thanks to Höst's superior storytelling. I thought the lore and world might be seriously confusing, but it wasn't - it took a bit to get into but I loved how complex it was.

The characters were great - Makepeace was my favourite, and I'm really hoping the sequel isn't all about the kids as it sounds because I NEED more
Silvia
Find this review & more @ bookishsilvertongue

I was given a free review copy through netgalley

Arianne Seaforth will become a vampire’s servant, if that’s what she needs to do to shed light on her brother’s death and provide for his orphaned children. But a vicious attack from a goddess’s protectors thrusts her in a world of royalty, gods, and political struggle for power sources. And she will have to play at that level to survive.

It took me so long to gather up my thoughts on this and review
Cynthia
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Alternate History Lovers
I admit it, I am wowed by this book. It has so much of what I love, nothing that I don't, and it's put together amazingly well. This is a must-go-get-now kind of book. Science Fiction. Fantasy. Mythology. Conspiracies.

Our story begins after the death of Eiliff and Aedric Tenning. They leave three children behind in the care of Aedric's sister Arianne. Twins Eluned and Eleri Tenning are sixteen, younger brother Griff thirteen. All four believe the couple was murdered and an automaton, a secret c
Melanie
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay. Okay. This basically has everything in it that I love - we have some steampunk, some interesting vampires, some other fun mythological creatures, with a big punch of Egyptian mythology.

So why didn't I love this book?

Honestly, I barely liked it at all.

I think what it boils down to is this - there is so much going on, with multiple levels of plot, some hints of a romance, three Series of Unfortunate Events style kids who are also running off to solve mysteries, and a Alexia Tarabotti-style,
Annika
My imaginary letter to the author:
Dear Ms Höst,
PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL. NOW. PLEASE. I AM BEGGING YOU.
Regards,
A rabid fan.

So, yeah, obviously liked the book a whole lot. A fantastic read for anyone who likes unconventional, well-thought out worlds (OMG that world!), strong female protagonists and an unpredictable plot. I didn't expect anything different from Höst, whose work is consistently superb, but, oh my, I'm afraid The Silence of Medair is now officially my *second* favourite book in the w
Gwen
Well what can I say - Andrea (and Michelle Sagara) is up there as my all time favorite author when it comes to world building. Andrea excels at very complex worlds and if I say so myself this must be the most ambitious, I can't even begin to try sum up the story line except to say that the blurb at the back of the book doesn't even begin to do it justice.
I was a bit worried about it being a kind of YA book but I quickly lost sight of that as I was sucked into the mystery, it almost reminded me o
Lexie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok my love of Host's books is pretty well documented. Next to Brandon Sanderson she's auto buy at retail price for me. And this had everything I could want. Egyptian mythology! Vampires! Pyramids and steampunk and London and oh so much.

The problem for me was I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Eluned I liked the best, but even she wore thin on me as the mystery deepened. Part of it I think was because despite being the most reasonable and like their Aunt Arianne (or Rian as she cal
Samantha
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So on one hand, I probably did not understand about half of what was happening. On the other hand, the parts I did understand I enjoyed. Hopefully after a thorough examination of the glossary and character list in the back as well as a re-read or two I am hopeful I will come to understand this book and the world it conveys at some point. Until then, I remained intrigued in what this series will bring.
Casceil
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars, edging toward four, so I rounded up. Very engaging alternate history steam-punkish fantasy, following a family of very likeable characters through a series of extraordinary events they fall into by being related to a husband-wife team of inventors/artists who have been murdered before the book begins. The sequel is not due out until 2016, but I am looking forward to it.
Dichotomy Girl
Though I'm a big fan of Höst's Touchstone trilogy, this book was a disappointment. I felt like I never knew what was going on half the time, and I feel like the character development and interaction was mostly missing. I had to force myself to read it, and would have most liking abandoned it if it hadn't been a buddy read.
Chachic
I found the first half very confusing but the latter half picked up for me. I liked the worldbuilding and how vampires were portrayed, it's just that I felt like I didn't understand what was going on during the first half. I enjoyed reading this but didn't love it as much as the author's other series (Touchstone and Medair). Still looking forward to the sequel!
Jasmine
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grown-up, indie
Well, this is now an auto-buy author.

Vampires! Cats-who-are-bushes! Amasen! Romans! Automatons! Duelling Gods! Airships! Weather Attacks! Creatures made entirely of fire and wings! Diverse characters! Egyptian gods! SO MANY THINGS AND IT ALL WORKS.
Sarah Martin
Unfortunately it is with great sadness that I have to admit that I gave up on this book. After really enjoying another book written by the author, I felt certain of this book's success, but that wasn't to be (well, for me at least, plenty of other people liked it).
I think the issue stemmed from the fact that the author is actually well-researched, whereas I have barely skimmed the histories and beliefs of ancient civilisations. This is in fact what makes her writing so good (and so troublesome)
Jessica Crawford
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book in the beginning. It offers such interesting new takes on so many things, vampirism included. The steampunk elements seemed like a lot of fun. I was totally hooked on the story of Rian at Lord Msrah's estate (can't remember the name of it right now), and utterly fascinated with Makepeace and couldn't wait to see how their unusual relationship progressed.

But then the book took a turn I hadn't been expecting, and became a different kind of story altogether. We alterna
Mallori
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really interesting, but could at times almost be confusing, which slowed me down reading it a little bit.

I appreciate that Andrea K Host doesn't info dump on you. Instead, she throws you into the world she's created and lets you figure it out and discover it as you go, which is a great and challenging read. However, I think I would have liked to have that info dump, her outline of the world she was creating and all of its detail, at the end of the book so that I could read it after I w
Donna
I don’t normally review self-published books but I decided to take a chance on this one because Host came recommended by my fellow YAcks and I really liked the premise. Egypt really does hook me in to pretty much anything. Add in that it’s an alternate history or maybe alternate universe and it has vampires and the blurb really hooked it. It was bordering on too high concept for me but I wanted to give it a try anyway, see how it worked out.

I liked the voice. A rather proper, Victorian air that
Fortluna
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
:))))) rian is so gay (well, bi. but I'm keen to see where this goes)
Dorothy Weigand
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arianne "Rian" Seaforth was selected to become the next person to serve a vampire lord, though this all goes wrong when she is attacked by a Sphinx. She becomes bound to another vampire who is from London. While in London with her three charges, she discovers who is after her and what it is they are hiding.

Left in her care is a piece of round fulgite, a stone used to power electric devices. There have been rumors of fulgite being haunted and causing automatons to act without being programmed to.
Khan Naunko
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First off to get it out of the way, i would like to mention that i won this book and received it for free through Goodreads First Reads. As such i would like to express heartfelt gratitude to Goodreads and more importantly to the Author, Andrea K. Höst.

The Pyramids of London is a truly entertaining read. It achieves so much, blends so many genres and ideas that at times i almost feel lost, almost, but not quite. Andrea K. Höst seamlessly creates this blend of Alternate History, Fantasy and Sci-F
Andrea Hintz
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Pyramids of London, by Andrea K. Höst, is decidedly the most complicated story I have read thus far in 2015. That isn't to say it's difficult to understand, or terrible; quite the opposite, it's an engaging read from start to finish. The story involves alternate universe politics, assorted gods & goddesses from various pantheons, steampunk attributes, a smattering of romance, a nice helping of mystery, and assorted fantastical creatures. Really, with so much going on you would think the ...more
It's out!! 1 11 Feb 27, 2015 11:17PM

• Crescent Moon (Phoebe Harkness, #2)
  • Firebrand
  • Destruction's Ascent (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #3)
  • Of Scions and Men
  • Solatium (Emanations #2)
  • Reign of the Vampires (The Society #1)
  • Lhind the Spy (Lhind, #2)
  • Battle Cry (Loki's Wolves, #3)
  • Black As Night (Quentin Black Mystery #2)
  • Oracle (The House War, #6)
  • Blood Hound
  • Golden Anidae (Blushing Death #4)
  • War Witch
  • Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)
  • Wrath and Bones (The Marnie Baranuik Files #4)
  • Outlaw: A Dark Fantasy Novel
  • Electric Heat (Raven Investigations, #3)
  • The Demon of Darkling Reach (The Black Prince Trilogy, #1)
Born in Sweden and raised in Australia, Andrea K Höst currently lives in Sydney. She writes fantasy, but wanders occasionally into science fantasy.

Her novel "The Silence of Medair" was a finalist for the 2010 Aurealis Award for best fantasy novel. Her novella "Forfeit" won the 2016 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novella.

The Trifold Age (2 books)
  • Tangleways (The Trifold Age, #2)
“To be angry at the gods is to scream at the stars. Even if they hear, they will not stop shining.” 7 likes
“Never underestimate any person's capacity to ignore the convenience of others.” 6 likes