Start by marking “Heir to the Sun” as Want to Read:
Heir to the Sun

Heir to the Sun

(The Chronicles of Parthalan #1)

A mad king. An escaped slave. One warrior to save the realm...

When Asherah, stripped of both her memory and her dignity, learns that King Sahlgren is responsible for her torment it nearly breaks her. Instead, she leads her fellow slaves to freedom. More prisons are scattered across Parthalan, and Asherah vows to burn them all.

Caol'nir, a warrior descended from the gods,
Published August 1st 2011 by Fantastic Books

To ask other readers questions about Heir to the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir to the Sun

Jacqueline Smith
From the first few chapters, I was addicted to the fantasy and romance of this novel. Ms. Provost weaves a beautiful and captivating tale of love, mythology, rebellion, and a fight for freedom against demons and an evil, oppressive King.

Of all the fantasy tales I've read, this is one that held my attention from the prologue all the way to the very last sentence. The rich history and vivid descriptions of Parthalan and its inhabitants are colorful, magical, and pure fantasy. I love books that dr
April Wood
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scott
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
Heir to the Sun by Jennifer Allis Provost is the follow up novel to Rise of the Deva'shi. It does work as a standalone however. I personally think I would not have enjoyed it as much without having read Rise of the Deva'shi and having an idea about where Asherah ends up.

When the book starts out you follow two separate story lines. The first follows Hillel (later becoming Asherah) and Torim. The ladies are in a prison camp run by demons. They are there basically to be breeding mares. The second
Natalie Frampton
I really enjoyed Heir to the Sun. The cover does it no justice at all.
There are several main characters we have, Caol'nir a warrior, who is in love with a priestess he is sworn to protect and not touch. There is also Asherah, a fae enslaved by demons.
Asherah is an amazing character, so amazingly strong that any woman would be proud to be her, she has amazingly hard times but she is a fighter.
I don't want to say too much in fear that I will spoil something but oh my god!!
There was more than once
Heather Hornacek
Heir to the Son had me hooked from the very first chapter. I could not put it down.Romantic Fantacy at it's finest. Epic love,betrayal,revenge,and so much more! I highly recommend it! I already bought the next book in the series!
Katie Blythe
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

The story starts with two different events going on at the same time. The first one is that Hillel and Torim are fairies who are imprisoned (along with many other fairies) by a cruel king named King Sahlgren. The woman are taken from their cells by demon creatures called Mordeth who rape the woman and try to impregnate them so they can have more demon creatures in the world. Hillel along with one of the nicer guards plot a
Jacquie (Rattle the Stars)
This book is a perfect example of why we should never judge something because of the way it looks. I HATE the cover. It's juvenile and not enticing AT ALL. But...this book was really good! It surprised me and I'm looking forward to picking up its sequel really soon.

While there was plenty of magic, mythical creatures and a medieval setting, what made this book stand out was how character driven it was. The author really did a fantastic job in constructing characters that I cared about deeply. Plu
Tiffany Roberts
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm happy to have come across Heir to the Sun. From the first page, starting with the story about Olluhm and Cydia, the creatures of of the fae, I was hooked. If you're looking for fantasy, love, magic, and blood...this is for you. I don't want to really call it Fantasy Romance, though it does lean closer towards that, but the HEA is kind of up in the air for me. It's Fantasy with strong romantic elements. I won't give away spoilers, but there IS a HEA, just not what I was expecting.

In Heir to t
Bookish Addict
This was an ok romantic fantasy read. The main races are the elfin and faerie. There are other races with short mentions and appearances in the book. The story focuses on 2 different couples who eventually cross paths due to a common cause. There's a lot of slow moments especially with one couple. Their stolen touches, words of endearment, and yearning glances really drag on for awhile because of their positions/title. The writting style is different. It's in 3rd person then there will be random ...more
Samah Khan
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucie
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, like other people have noted before me, the cover of this book seems a tad juvenile and does not really match the actual novel.

I have this book on my kindle and I was pleasantly surprised at how truly awesome it was. I loved it. I loved the characters, the story itself and the writing style. I am actually stunned that it has so few reviews/reads.
Deb
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super

Superb reading. Fun and entertaining. Could not stop reading. Great first book from a new author. I recommend this as a first purchase or your 101st purchase.
P Leslie
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from the author for an honest review.

This was an amazing read with a nice blend of romance and fantasy.

Caol'nir and Alluria's forbidden love was sweet, exciting and thrilling.

Lormac and Asherah's love story was intense but incredibly moving. I admired Lormac: he was caring, considerate and never pushed Asherah. He helped heal a broken woman in more ways than one. My heart broke for Asherah: she endured what no woman should have yet she comes out fighting like a true warrior.
Sarah Fischer
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this story, Alluria, a fairy priestess, and Caol'nir, a faery warrior sworn to keep her safe and chaste, have fallen madly in love. She brakes her vows to her God and the two are soon bound to each other. But something in the temple is wrong. One of the other priestesses was murdered by a demon. Caol'nir, desperate to find out who did it, follows the King on a clandestine mission. He realizes that the King is working with a demon.

Through further investigation, he discovers that the faeries in
Marni
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dive into a world of Fae and Elves, though not in the traditional sense. The Fae are children of gods, lovers, warriors and generally peaceful. The Elves are known for their warriors, they are feirce and proud and born of the earth. The world painted in Heir to the Sun is vivid and full. Though it has parralels to earth, it is very distinctive with it's own charm and vibrancy. It is difficult to create an entire world of people with history and races and culture. Ms. Provost does an impressive j ...more
Avry15
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

I kind of felt guilty, since I have read this book last a while ago, and yet I only have the time to post my review now.. But then I hope, I could still help you readers to like this book the way I did..

First and foremost, I love the cover, but I think it would be a lot better with something showing off faeries, warriors, or something that truly depicts fantasy…

Heir to the sun is really a good epic fantasy.. the strong characters are there, the complic
Tiamatty
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I received this book free through Goodreads Giveaways. This was pretty good. It's a reasonably interesting fantasy setting - different enough from a standard fantasy setting to be interesting. The plot is decent. The characters could mostly use a little more depth. They have motivations beyond romance, but those motivations are completely overshadowed by their romantic motivations. This book is very, very heavy on romance. There are two primary couples. There's a warrior and a priestess, and tho ...more
Kristin
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fantasy
This is a story that has a unique prospective of fantasy, using creatures most of us know and have loved to read about since we were children.

The main focus of the story was war and freedom. But as other reviewers have pointed out romance seems to have overshadowed the first two themes (there were some romantic scenes but they were hardly rated TV-MA) and caused a slight hindrance in character development. They were so into each other, as a reader, I felt as though I never really got to know the
Jackie Miller
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really love reading good Fantasy novels written by women. Don't get me wrong, I mean, a lot of my favorite Fantasy authors are male . . . but it's refreshing to get a woman's perspective on things. This novel showcases two couples and their love set within a wonderfully created world with rich history and background.

The thing that stuck out to me the most was how engaged I was with the relationships. There's Caol'nir and Alluria with their forbidden yet sweet love. I loved every minute of them
Mark Oetjens
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read fantasy. In fact, Heir to the Sun is the first fantasy novel I've ever read, so I don't really have a baseline to compare it to. That being said, I enjoyed this book. I started reading expecting magic and sorcery to be the focal point of Heir to the Sun. And while they did play key roles, it was the characters and basic human emotion that drove the story: love and generosity vs. destruction and greed.

I did have a couple problems with the book. The timing of events seemed off
Kai
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Heir to the Sun is a story of faes, elves, trolls, demons and gods. The story begins with the creation of the magical world and from the union of the sun good and moon goddess, children were borne. From there, a legacy is created until the King of the Fae wanted more power to rule the nine realms. He entered an unholy alliance with the demons. As anyone in the Fae world (and who reads Fae-stories) knows, that if one gives one's word, they are bound.

It is a story of strategic planning to find the
Patience Tennant
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say you have successfully made me depressed, but will discuss that later on. When I read your summary I was so excited expecting something to be full of action and suspense, boy was I wrong. Congratulations on totally surprising me with all the romance! I love the affection between Alluria and Caol’nir and Asherah and Lormac. Not only did I love the romance, I loved your characters. They were genuine with personality, tough with a side of sweetness, and strong with a hint of delicateness. ...more
B. Throwsnaill
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a charming and well crafted epic fantasy story with a focus on romance. While romance is not my typical reading fare, I enjoyed the epic fantasy tale that underpins the romantic storylines. There was one plot point that struck me as a bit contrived ((view spoiler)), but otherwise the story flowed well. The writing style was very good. Disclaimer: I won a copy in a contest.
Irina Jacques
Jul 30, 2012
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Jul 01, 2015

• The Beginning (LS, #1)
  • Limerick  (The Shimmer Trilogy, #2)
  • Betrayal (Syrenka, #2)
  • iFeel (Vis Vires Trilogy, #1)
  • Fangs Rule: A Girls Guide to Being a Vampire
  • Silent Song (Ghostly Rhapsody, #1)
  • Moonglow (The Darkborn Legacy, #1)
  • Artemis Rising
  • The Colors of Malent (The Colors of Malent #1)
  • Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales
  • Unbreakable Love
  • Fezariu's Epiphany (The Elencheran Chronicles #1)
  • Escape from Verona
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Perfectly Flawed (Gentlemen of Worth, #2)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  •  The Time-Traveling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette
  • Insight
Jennifer Allis Provost is a native New Englander who lives in a sprawling colonial along with her beautiful and precocious twins, a dog, two birds, three cats, and a wonderful husband who never forgets to buy ice cream. As a child, she read anything and everything she could get her hands on, including a set of encyclopedias, but fantasy was always her favorite. She spends her days drinking vast am ...more

The Chronicles of Parthalan (3 books)
  • The Virgin Queen (The Chronicles of Parthalan #2)
  • Rise of the Deva'shi: A Chronicle of Parthalan