Start by marking “Valve Presents Volume 1: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories” as Want to Read:
Valve Presents Volume 1: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories

Valve Presents Volume 1: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
For fifteen years, Valve has defined the cutting edge of video games. Now, Valve joins with Dark Horse to bring three critically acclaimed, fan-favorite series to print, with a collection of comics from the worlds of Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Portal. With over two hundred pages of story, Valve Presents: The sacrifice and other Steam-Powered Stories is a must-read for ...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Valve Presents Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valve Presents Volume 1

Diayll
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Valve Games, Left 4 Dead, Portal
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating:5 out of 5 controllers
Review Source:NetGalley
Reviewer:Me

Louis, Francis, Zoey, and Bill are up to their eyeballs in zombies in The Sacrifice. In this installment, we follow our four survivors in an attempt to get to a safe zone (flashbacks to the game anyone?). But even when it looks as if rescue is a breath away, things – as we know from the game – are not always as they seem. And this outbreak is NOT the Flu.

The Sacrifice is broken up into four p
Dan
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Greetings go out to Jan, Liina, Sven and all the good friends with whom we have spent great time with Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress. And respect to Valve for maintaining great communities.

Louis: "That was your plan."
Francis: "That was the first part of my plan."
Louis: "Yeah, let's recap some of your plans so far. "Go help that crying girl, Louis. She looks sad." "Let's find the army, they'll know what to do." "We're locked in a tiny room. I'll piss off the guys with guns so they'll shoot
Xavfro
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
It's a nice collection of 3 Valve stories. I liked the Portal the most and then the Left 4 Dead one. (Same as the games i guess :) ) Team Fortress isn't really my thing but overall a fun read.
Stephanie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
'The Sacrifice and Other Steam Powered Stories' is a set of graphic novels based around three of Valve's popular video game franchises; Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

The first half of the book is devoted to the titular story 'The Sacrifice', in the Left4Dead universe, following the original four survivors in events taking place after the completion of the game. The story is available as additional DLC, so I'd already played the scenario, but the comic version added more depth and backst
Cale
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of comics based around Valve properties Left for Dead, Team Fortress, and Portal 2. Left for Dead's Sacrifice is the closest to a normal comic, four issues setting up and retelling the Sacrifice mission for the game. It does a good job capturing the spirit of the game and the characters. The Team Fortress stories are more off-the-wall, but it may be that I'm not familiar enough with the property to 'get' them. Zany and silly, and not quite logical.

And then there's Portal 2;
M
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not being a major video-game fan, I was dissapointed to discover that this Dark Horse collection focused not on "steam-powered" stories, but on graphic novel tie-ins. Left 4 Dead gives us another zombie apocalypse, with four survivors attempting to find themselves a safe zone. Sadly, the loveable curmudgeon does not survive the story's outing, and thusly deletes any interest in pursuing more storylines. The ridiculous Team Fortress feature is a mish-mash of art, storytelling, and foolishness tha ...more
Mark
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I bought this book mainly to have a good print copy of the excellent Portal comic I read online when Portal 2 was being released. The Left 4 Dead story was also good, and had some flashback-like substories giving origins of the four protagonists from the Left 4 Dead game. However, the Team Fortress 2 section of the book left me feeling really disinterested. I had the feeling that the bundle of unrelated little comics were merely making references to things from the game, for the sake of making r ...more
Patrick Funge
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Valve stories is a book with three stories inside. The one I thought was good was the first one called, "The Sacrifice". It is about a group of lone survivors, Zoey, Bill, Francis, and Louis who get stuck on a bridge because one of the zombies jammed the engine raising the bridge. Only one of them has to go and un-jam the engine.

I thought this book was a good book. I liked it because I knew all the characters because they all were in games I have played, so I could see the perspective that they
Nov 16, 2011 marked it as to-read
Dark Horse and Valve, if you are so worried that someone will rip and release pages of this before it is released or whatever, do reviewers/librarians/bloggers the world over a favor and just DON'T RELEASE PROMOTIONAL COPIES. Don't get me crazy excited to read this and then stamp a watermark over half of each entire page of a GRAPHIC NOVEL rendering it UNREADABLE. If you want advance reviews/buzz, you have to run a risk. It sucks, I know. Not releasing promo copies is always an option.
Gareth
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of comics, released in a beautifully made large format hardback.
"The Sacrifice" cleverly puts all the famous elements of "Left 4 Dead" into a story, with some gorgeous horror artwork.
"Team Fortress 2" provides a great set of comedy sketches. Ultra-macho Aussie Saxton Hale is a terrific creation.
"Lab Rat" links the two "Portal" games with an elegant, sweet story that provides some interesting background to its two main characters.
Michael Alexander Henke
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I laughed a lot! The book is broken into 3 parts, a Left 4 Dead 2 section, Team Fortress 2, and Portal 2. They were all enjoyable stories. The Left 4 Dead story had some good zombie action and also quite a few laughs. The star of the book is Saxton Hale however. Every part he is in is fantastic! Also the ads were quite hysterical.
Jimmy Corvan
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These stories were a blessing to anyone who has played the games.

The Sacrifice was a fantastic telling of the original 4 survivors back stories.

Team Fortress was as ridiculous and fun as the game.

Portal...oh my god...Portal was just a joy. The art was superb and the story was intriguing.

A must read for Valve fans
Louis
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
loved this compilation. found this gem at comic con a few years back. as a stand alone graphic novel it's solid. however if you've played any of the featured games (Left for dead, Team fortress 2 and Portal) it's that much more satisfying. It offers some nice background hooks and info and the art style is just great. If you spot this and enjoyed any of those games, snag it. You won't regret it.
Jacob
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Team Fortress 2 stories and Lab Rat are good. Funny and interesting respectively. But The Sacrifice... Now that's one heck of a story. If you are familiar with the original Left 4 Dead game, it'll hit you. Hard. If you've only a passing interest or no real knowledge of the characters, it's a good zombie story. But... If you're attached to the characters... Just... Read with caution.
Jacob
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

I'm not at all familiar with the 3 video games of which this book was based. Nice Mike Oeming art and a book of enormous size for a cover price of $25. I've seen smaller sized books with a fewer page count cost a lot more. I'd buy this book used, but I wouldn't want to revisit the stories and purchase at cover price.
Mark
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great bit of lore from Valve. The TF2 stuff was mainly rehashed comics from their updates but the L4D/Portal comics were really well done. I am particularly fond of the art style of the Portal comic. Fantasticly well done.
The Novel Strumpet
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't really play video games and not the biggest graphic novel fan, but this was a really good book. I like to read about games so that I know what's going on and I think even if you've never played Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress or Portal you'd still be able to enjoy this book.
orangerful
only read the "Portal" story since that was the only one that really interested me. Really cool artwork and explanation of how Chell was "chosen"
Trevor Okazaki
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this mostly for the art. I was pleasantly surprised to find which TF2 comics were included. I really enjoyed "The Sacrifice" which is a L4D story and roughly half of the book.
Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
A set of comics which further enrich the worlds of three great Valve games (Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, Portal).
Kit
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Valve, why are you full of so many fantastic things?
Ryan Olson
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, comics
The Left for Dead story was good, the Team Fortress stuff was pretty bad, and the Portal 2 story was too short.
Katie Ross
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork
Brian
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Enjoyed the first story. Downhill from there.
Joy
Dec 13, 2014
Brett Gregory
Jan 07, 2015
  • Portal 2: Lab Rat
  • Pearl of Pandaria (World of Warcraft)
  • Adventure Time With Fionna and Cake #3
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8: Includes Vols. 22, 23 & 24 (Naruto: Omnibus, #8)
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • The Ice Wanderer and Other Stories
  • Mass Effect: Blasto: Eternity is Forever
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 2
  • The Slab (Gears of War, #5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3 (The Search, #3)
  • Thor/Loki: Blood Brothers