Start by marking “Coffee at Little Angels” as Want to Read:

Coffee at Little Angels

Phillip, Sarah, Kaitlyn, Caleb, Maxine, Grant, Melanie and Josh grew up in a small town where they spent their high school years together as an inseparable clique. But high school has ended, and they are all living their own “grown up” lives, each under the impression that their group has basically come to an end. When Phillip dies in a hit and run accident, Kaitlyn summon ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Coffee at Little Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee at Little Angels

Peace Love and Reviews
I am hooked from the start, I love Philips's introduction, his views on death and the memories of his childhood, it took me back to my own and reflected on how I feel about death. My thoughts momentarily digress to where I stand in all these, starting missing my childhood friends, and reminiscing about my own "funny little town, with funny little people". I have to stop myself a bunch of times while reading this book because it catapults me to my memories.

The story is told separately by each ch
Cassandra
Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

Growing up is hard for a tight-knit group of childhood friends who discover they don't have a lot in common after many years. They have but one thing in common which they have lost. Containing witty sarcasm even in heavily tragic moments. A delicate simplicity is well-drilled into this novel making it all the more winning.
Holjo
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Eight people are permanently connected to each other after growing up together in a small town. They have all gone their separate ways since high school, but have been brought together for a weekend after one of the eight dies in a hit and run car accident.

Now in their twenties, each of the friends has built a life. Some are happy, others are not. But what becomes painfully obvious is that there are many unresolved situations and feelings within the group. Being all together
Veronica
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simplistic narrative and genuine facts of all the random thoughts that run through our minds when faced with someones death.

A touching and beautiful story of childhood friends gathering to mourn the death of a friend from the past.

We get to meet eight characters, and each one takes us on a journey of how they perceived their friendship and past memories. You can't help but sympathize and relate to each one on a different level. At first, when Philip was describing how living in a small town
Bonnie
You can find this review, along with others, at Bookish Ardour.

Not surprisingly, Coffee at Little Angels is a read tinged with emotion. Seven past friends are brought together again because of the death of an eighth member in their circle, but I found the story to be far more than dealing with the death itself, instead analysing life and friendships as one is wont to do when such a tragedy shakes them.

There are few stories I’ve read where the narrative is told from so many di
Sonny
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a small town, eight children, all very different become fast and close friends. Their childhood and teen years are filled with laughs, kisses, coffee, and love. As the friends grow older, they grow farther apart until most of them no longer know one another.
Years later, Phil dies in a freak hit and run accident. With the death of a once close friend, the group comes back together in their hometown for the funeral. Through the death of their friend, these young men and women grow somewh
Avery
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***May contain spoilers***

It isn't often that I read books outside of YA paranormal and almost every time that I do read books out of my comfort zone I am blown away by them (and typically kick myself for being so close-minded when it comes to other book genres), this book is no exception (it being what I would personally consider a contemporary adult fiction- a book which reads somewhat similar to "The Time Traveler's Wife" or "The Lovely Bones"). Everything in Nadine's book rings true, especi
Ivana
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so loved this novel.

I loved the beautiful simplicity of the prose. There's no fidgeting but sheer honesty and sincerity in the narrative, and a down-to-earth, realistic tone while talking about the small things that make our lives and the things that we all think about when faced with the death of someone close.
Nadine perfectly captured the image of a small town life. There's no name to the town on purpose and it could be just any small town in the world, including mine, a town stuck in time
Tammy
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the main character’s I was able to attach myself to is Sarah. Throughout the book you watch as Sarah grows and comes to the realization of the man she really loved was not the man she thought she should have loved. She thought she had to love the other man because she had always loved him when they were younger. There were many characters one can get to click with in the book. All the characters were developed in a way that you can understand. You were able to see how they were at a young ...more
Niina
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
(includes Author Interview at the end)

A heart breakingly beautiful story of eight friends back from high school days remember life and each other adjusting their current life when one of their group is killed in a hit and run.

Each of the eight friend’s first person narratives runs through contemplating their friendships of the past and how each one was back then, while going through the motions of grieving the loss of their friend.

Sarah's is the most heartbrea
Becky
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. It's not my usual sort of read, but it sounded intriguing and I found myself accepting.
Phil dies in a hit and run accident, Sarah - his girlfriend just feels numb, Kaitlyn takes charge and gets everyone back together to say goodbye, but none of them really want to be there. Over the years they have grown apart, moved on and are no longer a part of each others lives.
This book deals very well with the issue
Siobian
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah, Phillip, Kaitlyn, Josh, Maxine, Melanie, Grant, and Caleb were inseparable growing up in their small hometown. However, as is inevitable, some of them moved away and began a new life, leaving their childhood friendship behind. When Phillip is killed in a hit-and-run accident, the friends all return to mourn his loss. Getting back together proves difficult for some of them and past grudges, heartbreaks, and arguments rear their ugly heads once again.

To be completely and perfect
Michelle
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REview from Much Loved Books Review-Coffee at Little Angles

Coffee at Little Angels was sent to me from the author, Nadine Rose Larter, who contacted me regarding a review. I read the description and thought it sounded interesting so of course I agreed to read and review for her, and I am so glad I did.

This book is typically out of my genre comfort zone, but it had me hooked from the very first sentence
"I went jogging on the morning that I died"

Pixie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indies, 2011-reads
You can read my full review at http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.com

I enjoyed the characters of Coffee at Little Angels. They were all crafted so diversely and unique in each their own way. I really disliked a particular few, and then really connected with others in a way that I didn’t want to see them go.

The opening is a real hook that pulls you right into the story immediately. Attention-grabbing!

My only complaints are that at times, mostly the ending, I felt incomplete or detached. Phil’s accident was a mystery but no
Karen
Because I grew up in a small town I can relate to the characters in Coffee At Little Angels, actually I know them all, maybe not by these names but I do indeed know them. This story brings back many memories, good and bad, and reminds me just how much I have missed since moving away from my childhood friends. The last time I saw many of them was, like in this story, at a gathering for the funeral of one of our group members.

The author can’t be any more accurate about the nuances of a
Patty
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book summary...

A lovely book about a group of friends who come together after a tragedy befalls one of their own.
The book is divided into individual sort of chapters that are told from the viewpoint of each friend. The book takes place about 10 years after high school.

My thoughts...

I love books like this. Each friend's life and personality gently unfold as the story progresses. Some of the group are married, some have children, some are gay, some are wor
Sonja Arlow
The story is told from the perspective of 8 childhood friends coming together again, years after leaving high school, to deal with the death of one in their group. I picked this up after my own recent reunion with a school friend I haven’t seen in 10 years.

The book starts of on a great note even allowing for Phil (the dead guy) to form part of the narrative:

“"I went jogging on the morning I died"

The story is very character driven and all the emotions experienced by each
Naberius
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting story, full of engaging characters. The author has a very fluid, somewhat lyrical style of writing. Example (p. 15) "Loving Sarah is like reading a particularly good book. That pressing and overwhelming need to just devour it as fast as possible is matched only by the need to savour it slowly and completely, lest it all come to an end too soon." Sigh. I found myself reading this book slowly, so I could really luxuriate in the writing.

Really an enjoyable read, even
The Pen & Muse
Coffee at Little Angels is a tale of how tragic events can bring people together. Each chapter a view point on each of the friends, you will get an in-depth look at what its like for people to come together once more after a tragic event. Although each friends lives has changed since they were smaller, they are all in a different stage of their lives. Larter writes beautifully and we feel like we are part of this group of friends. We learn what they learn that although life moves on, there are t ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Coffee at Little Angels has an intriguing opening line:

"I went jogging on the morning I died".

It was this first line that primarily convinced me to read this book from author Nadine Larter, and I'm glad I did. It was a voice I wanted to know more about.

You can read my full review here: http://myfourbucks.blogspot.com/2011/...
Literary  Chanteuse
An interesting look at a group of friends from high school who reunite for a funeral. I liked the dynamic relationships and how they changed from the different points of view depending on who's point you were reading from.
Yvonne (Fiction Books)
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvonne (Fiction Books) by: Author Review Request
"A Fond Farewell To A Friend"

If there was a prize for enthusiasm, then Nadine would win hands down. She actively participates in email exchanges, twitter and blog conversations, together with regular updates on her own blog.

`Coffee At Little Angels' has obviously been a labour of love for her, which came across from the instant I started reading. It quickly became apparent, that it all comes straight from the heart!

The book is divided, not into chapters, but i
Sandra Lopez
My thoughts: It begins with a small forward by Phillip as he relays about the things he used to do when he was alive. The reader is then introduced to Maxine, a no-nonsense, fearless woman who doesn’t like to show emotion—bad or good. Next, we meet Josh, a divorce lawyer with a loony secretary; then came Sarah, the old high school girlfriend still holding on to an un-proclaimed love; then Kaitlin, the one who runs Little Angels coffee shop; then Grant, the prankster; then Melanie, the boy-lover; ...more
Jenny (Books that Spark)
'Coffee at Little Angels' is a story of seven childhood friends who are thrust together again, as adults, when their mutual childhood friend's life is lost following a hit-and-run incident. The group of friends grew up together in a small town and throughout their younger years, they were inseparable. At the time, life seemed so simple but when adulthood came, so did life’s pressures. As a result, the once close knit group grew apart and each are now living different lives in different locations ...more
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Nov 28 2011:

I had no idea…this book was silently, graciously waiting for me to finally make my wayward way to it, sitting there all nice, humble and unassuming. And I had no idea of this simple, breathtakingly elegant beauty that was just waiting for me to discover and acknowledge it. Sometimes I think that’s the only real kind of beauty there is, the simple, understated, soul-altering humble beauty. To me, Coffee at Little Angels was just t
Bonnie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted to Words at Home June 24, 2012: http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/06/cof...

I always love a good multiple point of view story. I find it so interesting to read about the same story from different perspectives – It feels as though I gain more insight into what is actually going on, and when MPOVs are done well I find that they add so much to the story. Larter definitely took on a heady task choosing to tell this story from eight (count them 8!!!) different perspectives! At first I wasn’t sure what to think
Jinny
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, contemporary
I was asked by the author to review her novel, Coffee At Little Angels a month ago. The cover is really cute and the story sounded like it would be something bittersweet to read, something that may make me feel warm and fuzzy inside by the end. What I actually ended up feeling was indifference when I finished it. I tried to like it, but I just couldn’t really get into the story.

The story takes place in South Africa, and involves eight characters who are all of the same circle of frie
LindyLouMac
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is not a plot driven novel, but a series of narratives from the surviving seven friends of a close knit college group, trying to come to terms with the death of the eighth member of the group. Sadly it did not really work for me and was not at all what I expected. I always try not to judge a book by it’s cover but this one gave me quite the wrong impression! The title also threw me off course with my expectations as Little Angels is a coffee shop owned by one of the characters and time is s ...more
Evangeline Han
I wanted to like this book, but it fell short of my expectations. After 20 pages, I would have given up on this book. The only reason why I continued was because I needed to write a review. Of course, just because I didn't like this book, it doesn't mean you won't like it either. There is plenty of room for improvement and allowance can be given since this is a debut novel.

Firstly, I was confused most of the time. There are eight main characters in the story and the story is told in
Nadine grew up in the tiny town of Molteno which is nestled between a couple of mountains in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, but she currently lives in the coastal city of Port Elizabeth with her son, her husband and two step children.

While she knows she should technically get a "real" job, she can't imagine being happy doing anything but playing with new characters and creating live
“Isn't that the tragedy of growing up though? One day you wake up and realize that everything you are and everything you feel is not much different from what everyone else feels.” 14 likes
“Loving Sarah was like reading a particularly good book. That pressing and overwhelming need to just devour it as fast as possible is matched only by the need to savour it slowly and completely, lest all come to an end too soon. The all-consuming emotions are so many and varied that it is almost impossible to pick out one for a few minutes attention. They mainly stay jumbled and unattended, and for the most part not entirely understood or satisfied. But then, maybe it is in the understanding of our love for someone that the love itself disappears altogether. If so, then I don't want to understand, and I remain content to simply experience her. Somehow, the more I learn about Sarah, the better I understand myself.
And the more I fall in love.”
5 likes