Start by marking “A Very Brave Witch” as Want to Read:
A Very Brave Witch

A Very Brave Witch

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  42 reviews
On the far side of town, in a big, dark, house, lives a brave little witch. She has heard lots and lots about those scary humans and a holiday they call Halloween, but she has never even seen Halloween for herself. Until one very special Halloween comes along…

Perfect for trick-or-treaters of all ages, A Very Brave Witch makes for a playful read-aloud that takes t
Published August 9th 2011 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Very Brave Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Brave Witch

Kathryn
A cute "turning the tables" story in which a community of witches is frightened of humans. A little witch (a very brave one, at that) decides that she will fly down to the human community to observe what they are like--from a safe distance, of course! But, when her flight goes awry and she bumps into a REAL HUMAN (OMG!) she will soon find out if the other witches have been right all along, or if perhaps some over-exaggeration was at play.

There is, of course, a great message here in that we shoul
jacky
Sep 16, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool - primaryh
This is our first Halloween book this year from the display at the library. We read it to Natalie at bedtime. She liked the illustrations and watched as I read to her and Mike finished getting her dressed. The length of the story was good for bed time. I thought the story was just okay. It was definitely teaching about tolerance, but it seemed to highlight the fear associated with differences more than I would have liked. To me, it sent confusing messages about stereotypes versus true acceptance ...more
Ann Keller
I liked this book, because it teaches children that despite their differences (and fears), if they just reach out, they may find a friend. Very useful concept in our modern age.
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: October 12th, 2014

Author: Alison McGhee; Illustrations by Harry Bliss

Title: A Very Brave Witch

Plot: A young witch whose is afraid of humans goes out on Halloween, her favorite holiday of the year. When she gets in an accident with a tree, she is befriended by a human girl who has a desire to fly.

Setting: Witches house, small neighborhood - Halloween Night

Characters: A Very Brave Witch, A young girl dressed as a witch

Point-of-View: First-Person

Theme: What seems different is more like th
Meredith
A little witch, accompanied by her orange tabby cat, defied witch conventions and refuses to be scared of humans even though they don't have green skin, are afraid to fly, don't wear pointy hats, and can't cackle. Then while trying to get a closer look on Halloween, she crashes her broom and makes her first human friend.

Sweet birghtly colored illustrations with simple text.
Emily
I thought this was a very cute and clever book. I thought the art work was very well done. The story was cute, loved how the little witch was brave and found out humans can be brave too. I think it is a fun Halloween story for kids. The story is told in both the pictures and the writing, but they flow so well you don't really notice it is told through both.
Dolly
Oct 27, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Halloween (and humans) from a young witch's perspective. I liked the message about not being afraid of someone just because their skin is a different color from your own.

There's not a whole lot to the plot, but the story is entertaining to read at Halloween and the illustrations are very cartoonish and cute (not scary at all!) We enjoyed reading this book together.
Elle Markov
The book was a short read with nice pictures, but, it was lacking in the plot department. The story is about a young witch that doesn't buy into the hype that humans are scary, so one Halloween, she comes down to the town and interacts with children. Striking an immediate friendship with a human girl and exposing her witchy powers. The story felt too rushed and lacked anything meaty to give it substance.

Rating 3 out of 5
Read@Book
Alissa Sparks
This book is another one of my favorites. I like this book because I think it could possibly help young students not be to scared of Halloween. This book shows that it is all make belief.
Vicki
Witch's are afraid of humans? A nice story of real witches getting along with humans.
Alma
Great humor and darling illustrations. My daughter loved it! Not just for Halloween.
Aprils
I thought that this book was funny. I would read it at a Halloween storytime.
Crysta Xue
Cute book. I really liked its open-mindedness.
Sarah Kasper
I really like the story, "A Very Brave Witch." I would use this book to introduce a lesson on different ways that writers write. The story is written in thought and word bubbles. As a lesson, I would have students listen to the story and then after discussing the reasons why the author might have written this way, the students would write their own story using word bubbles. Students will enjoy this book because it is funny and easy to read. An obvious choice as well would be to read this story d ...more
Cassie
PERFECT for Halloween.

One little witch lives on the outside of town, and her favorite human holiday is Halloween. She has heard lots and lots about it, but has never experienced it for herself. Until one very special Halloween...

I love the author, Alison McGhee, and the illustrator, Harry Bliss!
Jenna
A Very Brave Witch is a wonderful Halloween tale. The witch in the story explains how witches are afraid of humans, but really humans are scared of witches. This story teaches a lesson on how feelings may seem mutual, but once you step outside your box; everything isn't as it seems. This would be great for read alouds because the author sets up questions within the story that prompts the audience to wonder.
Oanh
This story is about a witch who is fascinated with humans despite all of the other witches being terribly afraid. The brave little witch decides to take a closer look when she hears the humans talking about "tricking a tree" (trick-or-treat) but she finds herself face to face with a real human! This story would be great to read around Halloween as a fun way to talk about misconceptions.
Amber
This book was a definite disappointment. I adore Halloween-inspired children's literature, but this book lacked detail and description. I enjoyed the photos, which had little bits of humor here and there, but they far eclipsed the plot and writing. The story lacked originality and a story-teller's flare that is so essential in keeping the minds of little ones engaged.
christine
Quick and cute Halloween story theme. Not scarey at all and simple. Very easy to follow for the younger kids and great pictures. Not much of a storyline this is more of a picture book, story is told in bubbles; great way to explore different types of writing styles for young students.
Overall an ok book with a "tables have turned" approach.
Susan
Literacy skills:

Print awareness-the story is told in text bubbles. Before the story is read a parent or a librarian can explain that the bubbles mean that the character is talking. This explanation will help to build print awareness.
Andrea
Cute enough book for the Halloween season. About a witch who is thinking that humans are scary and she knows a few things about humans. When she finally encounters one, she and the human both overcome their fears to become friends.
Kaethe
Of the two McGhee books we read last night, this is definitely the one for younger kids. Very friendly and non-scary. Bliss's cat is up to all kinds of amusing stuff.
Laura Komos
I loved the beginning of this book and the message it relays... but I was a little disappointed in the last few pages. Still a fun read.
Luann
A cute halloween picture book about a little witch who sets out to prove that she isn't afraid of people, even though they aren't green.
Tierra Garr
I like the twist of this little Halloween story. The witches are actually scared of humans, except for one brave soul!
nicole
this has been a standard part of my class visit repitoire and i don't quite know what to swap it out with in november.
Dana Wright
Cute! A great book about the things we assume are true, but are often something else entirely.
Andrea Wilkinson
Cute Halloween picture book told from a witch's point of view--a witch who is afraid of humans.
Tricia
Cute story about a witch who is afraid of humans...until she has the opportunity to meet one!
Ellen Ramsey
A perfect Halloween book with splendid illustrations and a twist at the end.
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • The 13 Nights of Halloween
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • We're Off to Find the Witch's House
  • Pumpkin Town!  Or, Nothing Is Better and Worse Than Pumpkins
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • Humbug Witch
Alison McGhee is the award-winning author of picture books, poems, and novels for all ages, including the young adult novel ALL RIVERS FLOW TO THE SEA and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Alison McGhee lives in Minnesota.
More about Alison McGhee...
Someday Shadow Baby Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing) All Rivers Flow To The Sea Snap