Start by marking “Alanna: The First Adventure (The Song of the Lioness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alanna: The First Adventure (The Song of the Lioness, #1)

Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  95,113 Ratings  ·  3,979 Reviews
From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight.

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pret
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 6 pages
Published October 24th 2003 by Listening Library (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Alanna, please sign up.

Lily yes It there is a bit of romance, but in the first book only lil' bit, the second a bit more! in all of these books I personally fell in love with the…moreyes It there is a bit of romance, but in the first book only lil' bit, the second a bit more! in all of these books I personally fell in love with the romances, and sometimes I said to my sister (who read them to me) "oh she has to marry this guy, he's just so great!!" you will find this book series is vary entrancing in that way!(less)
Patricia Burson Although the writing style seems to be for younger readers (~10-12), the series was written in the 70s during the sexual revolution, and the main…moreAlthough the writing style seems to be for younger readers (~10-12), the series was written in the 70s during the sexual revolution, and the main character does have sexual relations starting in book 2. However the description is no more than kissing and "sleeping together", and the relationships are very loving, consensual, and healthy.(less)

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
As one of my childhood favourites, how could I not rate this 5 stars!?
Kat Kennedy
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy action, adventure and fantasy
After reading three paranormal/urban fantasy romances in a row, you can only imagine how happy I was to read, not only something different, but something GOOD!

Good is the best description I can give of Alanna. I wouldn't say it was great. It gets pretty close to it, though. Some parts of it seem unrealistic to me. Alanna being so readily accepted by the boys etc. But the story is short, fun, action-packed with magic and mystery and high-adventure.

Alanna it a great character. Stubborn, cheeky, do
Natalie
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In retrospect, this is not a perfect novel, or series of novels, but when I think of who I wanted to be when I was ten years old, my answer was always Alanna. (And I still have a crush on George.)
Wendy Darling

Finally read this (*gasp*!) for our classics discussion Friday, 11/27! Our special guest will be the wonderful author Andrea K. Höst, and I'll post a link when it's live.

I enjoyed this very much, but it felt like a first book, with rough transitions and rather unnuanced characterization. But I do like Alanna (and I love George!), so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Cait • A Page with a View
I totally would've given this book 5 stars in middle school and been obsessed with it. I really, really wish I had found it then!!

It's still a fun read now, though! I can see how it inspired of a lot of other YA books about girls dressing as boys to become knights. The plot of this one is pretty simple, but all of the characters made it so wonderful! There's magic, medieval politics, mysteries, sword fighting, and basically everything I love. Plus, Alanna is an awesome heroine.

I'm definitely r
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5/5*

This was a super fun read, however it definitely reads like it was written for children (which it was). I probably would have ADORED this if I had read it as a kid, but as an adult it just wasn't quite up to my expectations. The world and magic aren't very complex or explained in great detail, and we don't get to know the characters super well, but as a book written for kids it was pretty great! We have a super strong female lead, and I can now understand why this book is a must-read for
Tamara
Hey, at least I tried.

Shorted version of the full review (The full one felt like an academic paper on why I dont like this book and series so I had to cut some parts. Oh, how easy it is talking about books I dont like. Also fun! ^_^ Be warned, this review contains my thoughts for this book and some minor/big spoilers for rest of the series -I’ve done some reading and research- which are tagged as spoilers and hidden from virgin eyes.)

For myself, and I suspect many people, books we read and love
Rose
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rose by: Sharon
OH MY GOD. SO. GOOD.

I'm so mad I didn't start this series earlier!!! It's so similar to Harry Potter in the way that it's just a feel good book with interesting characters and the best friendships + MAGIC.

...anyway, on to book two!

---

my longest and most terrible reading slump is FINALLY OVER.

[of course, right when school's starting -.- but oh well]

description

Donna
I probably would have liked this better if I'd read it for the first time when I was younger. The heroine is a fairly typical spunky fantasy female, she's a little too perfect and good at everything.

The story is okay but not especially memorable. It takes place over several years, though the passage of time seems a little muddy and the only real sense of it is that sometimes Alanna will mention her age. It's written in third person, and for the most part we're only in Alanna's head. But there a
Danae
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needing a book to read while waiting for another to come in at the library, I took way too long searching but after what-felt-like-ever I finally came upon Alanna: The First Adventure. It seemed perfect since it fit the exact criteria I wanted: short-ish and fun.

My long journey in finding a book to hold me over for another was so worth it because this was wonderfully entertaining. Yes it's aimed towards a younger audience, but I still loved every second of it. I finished in a day and immediately
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Song of the Lioness (4 books)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)
“Alan, you seem to think we won't like you unless you do things just like everyone else. Have you ever thought we might like you because you're different?” 139 likes
“Alanna: All I know is that I'm to jump when I'm told and I have no free time.” 136 likes