Start by marking “One Minute to Midnight ” as Want to Read:
One Minute to Midnight

One Minute to Midnight

For many years, beginning when she was thirteen, Nicole Blake spent every new year with her three friends: Julian, her first love, Alex, her best friend, and Aidan, her obsession. Together the four had partied hard, suppported each other, and fallen in love. But then tragedy and betrayal tore the friends apart, and Nicole settled down to married life with Dom in London. Bu ...more
Published November 24th 2011 by Arrow

To ask other readers questions about One Minute to Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Minute to Midnight

Kaya
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
"You should never be careless about friendship. You will find, the older you get, that new friendships do not come around quite as often as they once did. You should treasure those you have, protect them fiercely."

This book is amazing. Light and engaging, but at the same time penetrating and introspective. It isn't the usual type of genre I like, but it really got under my skin. Though it is a chick lit, I found it more of a tale about eternal friendship that can be just as important as a r
Hannah
Serendipity Reviews
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am beginning to think the run up to Christmas can not begin without an Amy Silver book. I really had forgotten how much I love a good chick lit book and I was definitely in need of this one. What I love most about Amy Silver's books is that the characters and situations they are in are believable and real. It isn't all marshmallows around the fire with this author, oh no, she writes a book that hits you hard and leaves you breathless and near to tears in certain parts. Her books are about real ...more
Helen
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Going into this I expected it to be a really fluffy chick lit book, but the storyline had a fair amount of grit to it which I liked. The characters were believable, rough around the edges and troubled in a lot of ways. There were a few cultural and political references which is unlike a lot of chit literature. There was quite a bit of travelling to different parts of the world too, which added a unique element.

The chapters jumped about from different time lines, which usually I don’t take too, b
Sakina Nazim
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
***MAJOR SPOILERS COMING THROUGH ***

This book was heart-breaking. Broke my heart when Julian died. Broke my heart when Nicole left Dom. Broke my heart even when her father died. Broke my heart seeing Nicole's heart being broken by Aidan so many times and yet she went back for more. I never really liked Aidan's character. Yes, he is smoking hot but besides that there is nothing much to him other than a drunkard tortured soul who has apparently been through a lot. The book in the beginning was jus
Bev Dulson
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never judge a book by it's cover, couldn't have said it better myself where this book is concerned. I bought it a while ago with the intention of keeping it for the festive season for a nice 'fluffy', easy read. As it was, I picked it up last week and thought I'd give it a whirl, just wish I'd read it sooner. 'Fluffy' would've been good, I like books like that, but what I actually got was a book that I couldn't put down, twists I didn't see coming and and ending that I think was happy, it just l ...more
Becky
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in less then 12 hours, it had me completely gripped. Whilst reading it you will go through all the emotions, you'll be exhaused after! You will find that you'll become very attached to Nicole and Julian but after the tragedy it'll feel as something is missing, as though there is a hole in the book, from this point my emotions went all other the place. I think that the book also has a strong point to it that you should never settle for second best because you will never feel happ ...more
Luise
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh my god. I wrote a review, it died and everything was gone. Are you kidding me?

So it was basically a nice story that took turns between the days before New Year's Eve in the present and this day in various years of Nicole 's past.
I really enjoyed most it, especially the ending. What I disliked was the main character herself. She is an egoistic and immature bitch. (Reasons for that are lost in nirvana.)
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a matter of days. I found it such a fast paced read and I had to find out what happened next. As a fan of chick lit and a fan of One Day, it was like this book was meant for me. It begins on boxing day, leading up to new year and flashes back to new years in the past so you get a real feel for each of the characters. I found myself wanting to know what happened next at the end of the book. I would love it if there was a sequal so I can revisit the characters!
Tin
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2012

A touching story about hope, true love and enduring friendship, One Minute to Midnight leaves you with a sad, happy smile (if that's even possible) in the end. We'll realize that there's so much to live for, and that forgiving those who wronged us is one key to happiness.
Julia P.
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Das Buch war wirklich klasse, ein unheimlich toller Schreibstil und eine ergreifende Geschichte. Nur das Ende hat mich enttäuscht, es wirkte auf mich als musste die Autorin schnell fertig werden.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
At this time of year you only have to walk into a bookshop to see the abundance of Christmas books that are released during the build up to Christmas and so what first struck me about One Minute to Midnight is that this is a book about New Year. New Year is a time that tends to be overshadowed by the excitement for Christmas something that’s also apparent in the book industry. And so reading a book about New Year and the new beginning’s that come along with it was a very welcome breath of fresh ...more
Janet
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the story of Nicole Blake. In 2011 a mid thirties Nicole is feeling nostalgic and in a rut, so she begins looking back at her life. We flashback to Nicole at 13. This year marks a turning point in many phases of her life; namely a breakdown of her parents marriage, and the first time she falls in love. Most of the story revolves around key events that have defined Nicole since her early teens, all coincidentally right around New Years Eve outings since that night.

Nicole falls in and out
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it's a book about friendship and love, loss and pain.
I loved it, not only because it always comes back to NYE (my fav day of the year) but also to the friends you love the most.
Julian and Nicole are inseparable once they met and so they try to spend each NYE together or at least talk to each other on the phone. they share a tradition of telling each other their New Year's resolutions, some obvious, some ridiculous and some impossible.
the book is about love as well. the kind of love that's heart
Paula Sealey
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's post Christmas 2011 as we join Nicole, and from the first chapter, it becomes evident that there are problems with her current life and her relationship with husband Dom. Through flashbacks over previous New Years during Nicole's life, we discover the events that have led to their current situation, which involve her very best friends Jules, Alex and Aidan, the other main characters.

A definite page turner, this story of friendship and love evolves beautifully and left me wanting to read th
albregia
Spaced out between decades, it tells the story of Nicole Blake and all the moments leading up to New Years Day, starting with an adolescent Nic and her present-day life in London, where her past still keeps a hold on her life.

A quick, entertaining book with some expected moments (view spoiler) it was
Kezza22
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reads
I bought this book because I read loads of good reviews and thought it would be an enjoyable book... But it really wasn't for me... Although I read it I just got more and more put off with the deceit in this book and how the main character could keep going back to an ex who just kept dumping her when a better option came around... I don't want to spoil the book for those that haven't read it yet but for me this wasn't an enjoyable read.
Nessa
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time I've read one of Amy's books, but decided to give it a go as i fell in love with the cover, absolutely gorgeous.

The story itself certainly didn't disappoint, it was a fantastic read, great story plot, well written characters. It was great getting to know all of the characters, there was happy and sad moments, it had all the emotions that made a great book.

I'll definately be reading more books by this author in the future.
Jule
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This novel had much more depth then I expected! I loved all the twists and turns, cried and laughed. It reminded me a little bit of "One Day", but developed in a very different way. It's a pity the book has such a tacky cover, it deserves better!
A fantastic read for this time of the year!
Mina
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Depressingly tumultuous. Anyway ... love is a b****!!!!
Laksmi Daniswara
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
beautifull story, although a little sad comes when the story ended
There is no black and white character in this book
that's why i love this book
Kat
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Amy silver has done it again, brilliant plot, great characters! Can't wait to next one.
Claire Wade
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Angela
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was only ok. It sounded interesting and something that would have been rewarding. Sadly it wasn't very good and the whole story was pretty depressing.
Marjorie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first I thought that I was not going to like this book, which was a bit of a surprise to me as I have loved every Amy Silver book I've picked up so far. I was rapidly disabused of this notion and soon got completely sucked in to Nicole's story; although it probably helped that I was reading it over the New Year period and, as the title suggests, this book is very firmly set around the New Year - taking us from a teenage Nicole in 1990 to a present day (2011) one via the medium of how she spen ...more
Caro
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liebesromane
Auch wenn der Jahreswechsel schon wieder einen Monat her ist, ist es keineswegs zu spät um dieses Silvesterbuch zu lesen. Du und ich und all die Jahre handelt zwar von Silvesternächten, guten Vorsätzen und wiederkehrenden Neujahrsritualen, aber das bedeutet nicht, dass man die Geschichte rund um die Protagonisten Nicole nicht auch im Frühling, Sommer oder Herbst lesen kann.

Nicole ist Anfang 30 und mehr oder weniger glücklich mit Dom verheiratet. Ihr Job läuft nicht wie gewünscht und auch Doms Wu
Saundra
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This books started great. However, the more I read, the more I began to dislike the characters. I really wanted to see a happy ending. While some may see it as such, I did not. I'm very overall disappointed with this book.
Tina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
When you expect a lovely, sweet, romantic story... and you get this...

I couldn't enjoy reading this. All the time different time lines (so something like that, one chapter in one year and then other 5 years earlier and another 2 years later...). One big mess.
Vanessa Edwards
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I think it was a quick easy read and it was good.
Jenny Jancke
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inhaltsangabe:

Nicole ist dreizehn, als sie 1990 Julian kennenlernt. Nach einer kurzen Beziehung werden sie die besten Freunde und erzählen sich jedes Jahr zu Silvester ihre 5 Vorsätze für das neue Jahr. Mit ihm kann sie über alles reden und er ist immer für sie da. Zusammen werden die beiden erwachsen, finden gemeinsame Freunde und werden erfolgreich in ihrem jeweiligen Beruf. Doch 2007 passierte etwas, dass Nicole so grundlegend erschüttert, dass sie ihr Leben komplett ändert. Sie heiratet, hat
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Getting Away with It
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Faking It
  • Last Christmas
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • I Love The 80s
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Saving Grace
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Here Come the Girls
Amy Silver is the pen name of Paula Hawkins, a writer and freelance journalist who has written on everything from the diamond trade to DIY dog grooming. She lives in London and has a penchant for vintage clothes and champagne cocktails, but she always pays her credit card bills on time.

Paula Hawkins has just published the new suspense sensation "The Girl on the Train" under her own name.