Start by marking “Next Stop: Sejer Island” as Want to Read:

Next Stop: Sejer Island

Next Stop: Sejer Island is a collection of short stories, pieces of lives and incidents assembled from a small Danish island community. Every inhabitant plays a role, and bonding is significant. And it is within these bonds the stories develop. What do citizens of Sejer Island do when there is no drinking water? What do they do when there are no fish? How do they survive t ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Salt Publishing (first published June 1st 2011)

Start your review of Next Stop: Sejer Island
Ben Dutton
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Andrea Heiberg’s short story collection, ‘Next Stop: Sejer Island’, is an adroit introduction to this extremely talented writer. It appears a rather slight collection, just 84 pages in the Salt publication that I read. There are eight stories here, of varying lengths, but all eight have a cohesive bond in that they present snapshots of life on the isolated Sejer Island, where Heiberg calls home.

In Denmark, Heiberg is known for her work in the theatre (she has had work performed on television the
Claudette Young
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Book Info:

by Andrea Heiberg

Paperback: June, 2011, 84 pages.

Synopsis:

This book of short stories involves fictional characters living on the real Sejer Island, Denmark; working and problem-solving as only close-knit villagers can.

Review:

The cast of unusual characters begins as many offerings do; reconstruction. The commonplace nature of the first story draws the reader in, relating on a personal level; to see what kind of renovation work occurs on a tiny Danish island. The
ina
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've often wanted to like Ray Carver's writing more than I do;when reading his short fiction, I find myself wishing that he had had the empathy to match his phenomenal level of insight into human motivation. I met Andrea Heiberg in a completely different context, and in one of those amazing life accidents, I've found a writer who can match Carver's spare, layered prose but has the empathy and...well, love, for her characters.

Every story about the 400 people who live on Sejer Island is clear and