Start by marking “The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion: Surviving and Thriving in Ministry” as Want to Read:
The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion: Surviving and Thriving in Ministry

The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion: Surviving and Thriving in Ministry

As increasing numbers of young women are discerning a call to ministry, entering seminary, graduating, and searching for the call to a parish or other ministry setting, they need to be aware of the realities that face them. The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion is about the nitty gritty of ministry for young female clergy--how to maintain a sense of personal style, what it's r ...more
Published August 22nd 2011 by The Alban Institute

To ask other readers questions about The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion

Start your review of The Girlfriends' Clergy Companion: Surviving and Thriving in Ministry
Jes Kast-Keat
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry, women
It was OK. The cover is a bit cliche for me which set the tone for what was in the pages. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly grateful to read stories of other women doing ministry in their skin and I support them fully. I'm just not convinced they represented my post-modern, funky edge of ministry. I appreciated their thoughts on family and ministry.
Melisa Blankenship
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very practical book by four female clergy written to a new female clergy. It talks about many aspects of being a female pastor and how you can be treated differently than male pastors, it talks about setting healthy boundaries in these areas, and it also talks about how traditional male pastor roles (and a congregations expectations) might not fit us as female pastors and how to address those differences. Some topic examples are the expected role of the pastor's spouse, maternity leave ...more
Jim
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for new clergy. It is aimed at women clergy, but the principles are spot on for everyone. It is amazing there aren't more guides for new clergy that did into the heart of issues that do come up from dress, to hair style, to expectations and weird comments.

the chapter on Tiresome, Taxing and Toxic really covered some of the experiences common in ministry. How do we sort through experiences that are only tiresome and others that are toxic.

A lot of good meat in this book for
Jan
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Didn't think I'd like this (because it's been a long time since I was a young clergywoman) but it's truly helpful for all young clergywomen - and maybe the older ones. I'm stocking up to share with young women seminarians and even with church search committees.
Courtney Stange-tregear
This book was nice and light, even a bit funny. It wasn't helpful really as a guide but it was an enjoyable read. I recommend it as fun to read but not if looking for real guidance.
jana Blazek