Start by marking “The Jinx” as Want to Read:
The Jinx

The Jinx

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
13-year old Stephen Allan Grayson is having a run of very bad luck. It feels like he's been cursed - because maybe he has been.

Stephen flees home to protect his family, only to find that he is in the middle of a tug-of war between a cult obsessed with order and misshapen monsters known as “Chaons” who seem bent to be hunting him down.

A spirited adventure for young readers
Published August 12th 2011 by Jetpack Media

To ask other readers questions about The Jinx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jinx

Stefanie
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I won my copy of The Jinx through GoodReads FirstReads. I really wanted to like The Jinx but i felt it just never really went anywhere and I just couldn't get interested in the concept of the story. Basically it's about a boy who has bad luck and everything around him is effected negatively and he feels bad so he decides to leave and keep bad things from happening to his friends and family, but then he runs into other problems and has to figure out why it's all happening to him. It may appeal to ...more
Oh! Paper Pages
Also reviewed on Oh! Paper Pages

In “The Jinx,” D.F. Lamont documents the journey of 13-year old Stephen Grayson, a very unlucky boy. Stephen’s first bout with unfortunate circumstances begins with a bike accident. As the weeks progress, Stephen’s life seems to become a magnet for all things gloomy. After a potentially fatal car accident that leaves Stephen unharmed and his mother and brother mildly injured, Stephen decides that he is a liability to his family and must leave them in hopes that h
Jessica Knauss
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New author D. F. Lamont has a talent for action scenes that drew me right in to his science fiction YA tale, The Jinx. Stephen knows the exact moment his luck started turning bad because his bicycle is totaled in the first few pages. The accidents keep escalating in spectacular fashion until Stephen is in an auto accident in which his family members are seriously injured. Because he's come through with barely a scratch, Steven realizes all these bad things are happening because of him, so he run ...more
Melissa
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Have you ever just had one of those really bad, terrible kind of days? What if that day turned you into a jinx? Stephen can thank the universe for the the really bad luck that effects him and all surrounding him in this Young Adult SciFi/Fantasy book. With a well thought out plot and good storyline this book will have you hoping the universe doesn't make you The Jinx.

Stephen is your usual teenage boy but while riding his brothers bike to school one day he becomes the unlucky receipent of a cur
Stephen's sure he's a jinx. Accidents always seem to happen when he's around (but he's always fine). Things just keep getting worse, and Stephen decides he must leave to protect his family. He's hoping the bad things will follow him, and they do - giagantic rock monster bad things. Help arrives in the form of a strange man with even stranger contraptions, and some very nice people with a fancy helicopter. Who can Stephen trust, and how does he decide?

This is a short novel, but boy, does it mov
Katie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever feel like you are cursed with bad luck? Stephen has and it has been getting steadily worse since he started 8th grade.

I couldn’t get enough of the book and read the whole thing within a few hours (time well spent). Very imaginative with a lot of excitement and action “The Jinx” will have you anxiously anticipating each turn of the page. The Chaons were very interesting creatures themselves, especially how they came about.

Stephen was a great character and I could definitely relate to some
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
I really enjoyed this novel! It isn't too long in length but through those pages the author gives us a very intriguing plot, good characters and action, along with some funny moments that had me laughing.

Stephen, our main character and 13 year old boy, is going through a streak of bad luck, but soon believes that his bad luck is starting to affect the people around him and he decided to leave home to protect the ones he loves.

Upon leaving home he is soon drawn into a whirlwind of activity and
Eric Pinette
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. Great first outing, hopefully only the first of many to come.
India
Nov 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 128 page book for $14.99-I actually made a Goodreads profile to comment on this-talk about over-priced!
Aeicha
READ THE COMPLETE AND ORIGINAL REVIEW (AND MANY MORE) AT WORD SPELUNKING

THE JINX is a short (only 123 pages) read, but offers an overall creative and intriguing story. Though I found the book as a whole an enjoyable read, there are a few aspects that I had issues with.

MY BRIEF SUMMARY
Thirteen year old Stephen Grayson, thinks he's a jinx. And just maybe he is. After several "accidents", Stephen runs away from home with the intent of protecting his family. While on a long bus ride in the mountai
Sheila
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
D.F. Lamont’s The Jinx is a delightful tale of an eighth-grade boy’s trials and tribulations, starting with a simple bike accident and ending with monstrous creatures and the possible end of the world. The jinxed young man’s home and school life are humorously and convincingly portrayed, making it hard not to feel sorry for poor Stephen as things keep going wrong. But Thanksgiving approaches and Stephen’s attempt to free the world from his curse is risky at best, maybe even dangerous.

Of course,
Katie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Jinx by D.F. Lamont

Ramblings: It's not too often that I am requested to read Middle Aged books, so I was intrigued when I got the chance to read this one. It was pleasantly surprised by this book and I'd definitely recommend it to younger readers.

Characters: At first I was a little confused on the characters because the book is written in third person, but I soon caught on that Stephen is the main character. He is a really smart boy and very curious. I wish though that he had shown more fear
Heather
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The Jinx by D.F Lamont is a short novel about a 13 year boy named Stephen who is certain he is a jinx. On the first day of eighth grade he has an accident involving his bicycle and after that it's all down hill. He begins getting in trouble at school, there's a car accident involving Stephen, his mother, and his brother, and the last straw is the fire in the garage.

Fearing that the jinx will hurt his family Stephen knows he needs to leave and hope that his bad luck follows him. He takes a trip
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book is geared for young adult and middle grade readers with wide appeal. There's a little bit of fantasy and a little bit of mystery. I feel really bad for Stephen. Bad things just keep happening to him. He had a great summer but now he's facing things like almost getting run over by a car! He gets in trouble at school when before, he's always done just fine before! Then he, his brother, and his mom are in a horrible car accident. Stephen doesn't understand what's going on but he has a fee ...more
Karen Siddall
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to receive a copy of this book as a Goodreads' First Reads winner.

A confession - my now-grown sons were ALL reluctant, pre-teen readers. And, of course, school requirements mandated a nightly minimum of 15 minutes of reading time. My mission, beginning with the first son, was to discover those little gems that would spark their interest and turn this chore into a habit, an alternative to television and video games. I found some great books (more for me!) and even went to work in
Lis Carey
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, fiction
This is an entertaining novelette about a young teenager who discovers he has very uncomfortable "powers" that make him a jinx to be around. It's bad enough when he wrecks his brother's bike, worse when a car accident endangers his family. The absolute last straw for Stephen is when he accidentally causes a fire that burns down the garage, and his parents aren't absolutely certain it was an accident.

Stephen runs away.

Misshapen stone monsters pursue the bus he's running away in.

Leaving the bus so
Erika
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This started off as a fun, playful book. I was really enjoying it at the beginning. Stephen was going through all sorts of disasterous events that led him to believe he was jinxed. Then Stephen runs away and meets a group of people who put him up on a dais and tells him he is really important to the tension between chaos and order. Or to be more precise, really important in making one side rule over the other. The author totally lost me here. This cult was pretty much in keeping with the playful ...more
Britney
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have tween-aged boys you are desperately trying to get into reading, START HERE! THE JINX has action, cults, chaos, and monsters. Right up a boys alley, but also a great read for anyone who likes these elements. I enjoyed the story very much and was always wondering "What's gonna happen to Stephen!?!"

Just about anyone can relate to poor Stephen's run of bad luck. Only Stephen's bad luck is more than that. He has to escape monsters, and a creepy cult that strives for only order in the uni
Alleluialu
This book was a really quick read -- a little over 100 pages. It was obviously written for a junior high audience since the main character, Stephen, was 13 and his adventures (and misadventures) were things that a 12-year old boy would love to read about. Lots of action, monsters, strange creatures, wild technology, and saving the world. Stephen thinks he is a jinx. He runs away from home so that his family doesn't suffer because of it. From the time Stephen decided to run away to the last chapt ...more
Sandra Stiles
I enjoyed this book very much. I like science fiction, but it takes me longer to read it than any other genre because my nerdy brain is always trying to figure out the science and if it is real, could it really happen, etc. I loved the characters in the book. I think any kid who has ever had a bad day could identify with Stephen and his first day of school.
I would have liked to have learned more about Daedalus. Maybe we will see more of him and Stephen in another book. I’d gladly read another ad
Rebecca
The Jinx was quite an entertaining read, it’s also short so it only took me a couple of hours to get through.
One thing I really liked about The Jinx was that it talked a bit about probabilities and what’s possible and what isn’t. It was really intriguing how probability worked; or didn’t in some cases; within the novel.
The story itself was interesting and I thought it was quite a unique concept. I found it to be quite entertaining and the pacing was really good. There were never any incredibly s
Ashley
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen has horrible luck. Crazy luck, like a gas can that falls over, then a file rubbing the concrete just right to make a spark. Whoosh.. Up in flames. Then his bad luck starts to rub off on the people around him. I would be ready to leave too.

At only 61 pages (nook) this story will leave you wanting more. The author has such a way with words, it leaves you on the edge of you seat the entire time. There is never a dull moment. I can't say too much more about the story with out giving away the
Linda Nelson
The overall plot of the story sounded alright and I was hooked by the books synopsis. Then I began reading the book. The hook for me was lost during the first few chapters.
Too much prose and not enough action. I think this will make it hard for children who are not avid readers to finish reading this book.
I set the book down with hopes to go back and finish it and have only found that I have lost total interest in the book.
I give the author 2 stars for effort.
Julie
I won a copy of this! Hurray! Looking forward to reading this one.

The balancing act of chaos in the world is critical for Stephen who becomes involved in trying to save the world as we know it.

I read this to the children (ages range from 11 - 7). It was a little too much for my younger daughter but the boys thought it was pretty good - although the language was a little high-tech. A quick read - good for early teenagers I'd say.

Amy
Jun 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, one-star
I received this from a goodreads giveaway :)

The first half of the book I liked. It was action-packed and fun to read. But the second half was just a bit too weird for me. It was a really short book that could have easily been padded out a bit more as lots of it felt rushed. I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, fantasy read :).
Sally Guillen
So while the book was good I found parts that I think would go over a kids head a little too much. I would have liked to see it have been a bit longer as it seemed like it finished really fast. It was like there was a few chapters missing, but overall it was still good. I think I will have my niece read it so I can get a review from the intended reader.
Claudette
Oct 13, 2011
Matthew Morgan
Apr 05, 2012
D.F. Lamont
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
D.F. Lamont
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dougald Lamont is a writer, musician, director, designer and owner of Manitoba-based Ad Agency Jetpack Media.
He has been writing professionally for over 20 years, as a copywriter, editor, journalist, speechwriter and humorist.
He has written two sci-fi fantasy books for young readers: "The Jinx" and "Three Dreams Deep".
He has four children with his wife. They live together in Winnipeg where they
More about D.F. Lamont

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things