Start by marking “The Lingering Dead (Jackie Rutledge, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lingering Dead (Jackie Rutledge, #3)

The Lingering Dead

(Jackie Rutledge #3)

She cracks the FBI's toughest supernatural crimes, from Chicago's windy streets and beyond, into the next world. But a malevolent force now has her reputation--and her team--in its sights. . .
Jackie Rutledge has faced down everything from the darkest sorcery to uber-vengeful revenants. But heading up the Bureau's special paranormal unit is presenting unexpected challenges
Published April 1st 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Lingering Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lingering Dead

Kathy Davie
Third in the Jackie Rutledge paranormal fantasy series that has access to an alternate plane of non-existence and revolves around an ex-FBI agent and her new team of paranormal experts in Chicago. It's been six weeks since The Vengeful Dead , 2.

My Take
The Lingering Dead is all about acceptance, a lesson Jackie must learn, for she has always drowned herself in alcohol and one-night stands, and she has no clue how to have a relationship. With either sex. Duncan has included a number of thoughts a
Shelley
*Rating* 3.0
Genre: Urban Fantasy

*Review*

In the third installment of the Jackie Rutledge series by J.N. Duncan, the former FBI Agent is now Operations head of the new group called Special Investigations. This came after the events of The Vengeful Dead. Her team includes the multi-millionaire vampire Nick Anderson, her best friend and former partner Laurel Carpenter who is now a ghost, vampire Shelby Fontaine, and Cynthia Forrester the team’s resident psychic.

The Special Investigations team is all
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

Former Chicago FBI agent Jackie Rutledge is now working for Special Investigations and trying to come to terms with her new freaky abilities acquired when she crossed over into Deadworld with a vampire and a ghost to stop a psycho vampire. Unfortunately, she died there before being revived back in the normal world. So while she’s waiting for her former boss to get funding for a special FBI paranormal unit, she’s heading up a private paranormal group, figuring out her abilities and attending t
TJ
2.5/5.0

I strongly suggest that the previous Jackie Rutledge books be studied extensively before attempting even a perusal of this installment.

For a complete review, visit Affaire de Coeur magazine, hard copy or online, April 2012 issue.
Jason
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Probably not a book series for everyone, but the ending of this one in particular felt incredibly emotional to me.
Kathy Davie
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
review coming
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dark Urban Fantasy with a unique twist on vampires and ghosts. Jackie finally undergoes some growth as a character. An entertaining plot but slow pacing really drags the story down.

Opening Sentence: Jessica Davies’s face was numb.

Review:

Melanie
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting plot development.
Kristie Elston
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dft-reviews
Originally published at Dark Faerie Tales: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-lin...

Review:

The Lingering Dead is an urban fantasy that feeds its energy off of its heroes. The tragic nature of Jackie and Nick’s past bleeds into the characters that they are. Nick was present when his entire family was
Sherie Davis
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This is my least favorite of the three so far. I'm going to include spoilers so, you know, watch out. Ok, I think the fundamental thing that bugged me about this book really is a carry over from the last one. The idea that the FBI for whatever reason thinks they have the authority to put Jackie in charge of Special Investigations. I mean obviously Nick agreed to it, so it's not like he was forced but just, how weird is that? We have to suspend you for shooting a police officer but hey! here's th ...more
Once
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
First of all, this is my first from this series, it can be read as a stand alone, but it will be helpful to read the previous ones. To really understand the why, where and how this special group ended together and became who they are.

Jackie, an ex FBI agent that finds herself as head of a "special" paranormal investigation unit. The unit is formed by two vampires, Nick & Shelby; a ghost who is Jackie's ex partner, Laurel ; Cynthia, a psychic and Jackie who has the ability to connect the worl
Show Me de Monet
So far I've enjoyed this series even though it can be a bit slow and/or confusing at times. I'm glad that Jackie finally seems to be growing up and taking control of her life by taking on her issues because honestly her whining and self-loathing was getting a bit tiresome. Also I'm interested in who this weirdo character Nix turns out to be and even more so Jackie's confrontation with you-know-who.

A few things though I feel need to be pointed out here--

1. I don't care how much money you have the
Jenni Ebba
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought Jackie was kick-butt in this one! At last she has grown to become someone I enjoy reading about. She still has her faults, but in this one she finally starts to overcome her past. She leads her team skillfully and even is able to sleep with Mr. Sexy Vampire Nick.
In this installment the team goes to a small town in the middle of nowhere to look into the mystery of the never changing town. The town is a part of Nick's sordid past and they delve into the mystery feet first. Strangely eno
Annie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I picked this up realizing that it was book three in a series. I figured if I liked it, I would pick up one and two and then carry on from there. Unfortunately, considering what I have read here, I would be saying the same thing even if it had been book one or book two.

While the characters and ideas are intriguing and this storyline is interesting, the writer makes liberal use of the F word throughout the story. And, this also includes F in combination with religious oaths that upset me a lot.

Th
Joy
Nov 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I know when you want a plot to develop you don't want every problem solved by the supernatural guy doing his 'thing,' otherwise there's no suspense BUT you can also castrate your character. This story just spun it's wheels with many lost opportunities for the vampire to step up and move the mystery along. The two 'good' vampire are wusses and boring.
Tina
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The characters have more substance to them as this series progresses, and although sometimes the action is a bit contrived, there is an interesting new twist toward the end of this book that has me eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Karyogini
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-2012
I like this series. :) I just can't get over how patient Nick is though. It just seems weird... The Geek squad is so cute. :) That's all I'm going to say. :P Lots of other readers there have a very good description of what the book is all about anyways.
Jeannie Lopez
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Really Liked this action packed funny series.
Ming
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
a fine read --
Hunter
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it More than the first two
Tricia Collins
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series. I've read all three and I am hoping there will be another. I've grown to care about the characters.
Terri
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it... It was just too hard to follow in the middle of the series. Very confusing. I will go back and read the first book, Deadworld, and give it another chance.
Debbie
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was more of a 3.5 rating. This one was a little slow at times but I'm not going to give up on this series and will give the next one a try.
Danielle (Dannie)
Apr 07, 2012
Angela Stokes
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles, #2)
  • Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1.5)
  • Tainted Night, Tainted Blood (Kat Redding, #2)
  • Hair Raising (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #3)
  • Under A Spell (Underworld Detection Agency, #5)
  • Death and the Courtesan
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Changeling Dream (Changeling, #2)
  • Father Knows Death (Stay At Home Dad Mysteries #3)
  • The Pleasure Project
  • Blood Secret (Blood, #5)
  • His Dark Bond (Fallen, #2)
  • An Embarrassment of Riches (Saint-Germain, #24)
  • Soul Survivor (Soul Stripper, #2)
  • Blood of Dawn (Sloane Skye, #3)
  • Touch of a Rogue (Touch of Seduction, #2)
  • Eventide (Dark Ink Chronicles, #3)
  • Deceived by the Others (H&W Investigations, #3)
Jim N. Duncan began writing at the age of fourteen thanks to a wonderful grandmother, who was a published mystery writer. Many years, numerous false starts, and a couple of college degrees later, the dream of publication has been achieved. Duncan has four fabulous children and is an aspiring teacher.

Jackie Rutledge (3 books)
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge #2)