Start by marking “The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)

The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries #6)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  891 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A mysterious widow pursues Flavia's father and a lion terrorizes the streets of Ostia in the sixth "Roman Mysteries" adventure.

December, A.D. 79. It is the month of the Saturnalia, a festival when people do as they please, and anything can happen. When a Roman widow, Cartilia Poplica, shows unusual interest in Flavia's father, Captain Geminus, Flavia decides she must find
Published October 1st 2004 by Roaring Brook Press (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina

Emily
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably my least favourite in this series ... I do love it though! I think I just find the mystery a bit less convincing. But I love the insight into Flavia and Nubia's characters, and Jonathan! I love him! I'm a bit less convinced by the Tarantula stuff, but hey-ho.
Carmen
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read others' reviews and how many were disappointed because it was focused mainly on Flavia........buy the title of the book pretty much covers that. She IS the main character and how this whole series started....she deserves a book mostly focused on her life (as much as the other books focused on other characters).

I loved this book, but also saddened at the ending. I am off to start the next book in the series.....I can't put them down!!
Sara Eames
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an ok book - but as it was for much younger readers, the story lacked depth which decreased my enjoyment. (My fault for choosing to read a book aimed at people much younger than myself).
The characters were well-written and quite appealing in many ways, but the plot moved very slowly. The ending was sad and didn't really add much to the story. However, I am sure it will appeal to younger readers.
Anahita Roy
i love these series and i have nearly read all of them!!! i am so excited. but the thing is that i am not raeding them in order.
Panda Pal
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really felt like Flavia was focused on way to much.
Staara
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I forgot to write a review about this book after I finished reading it and can hardly remember what happened in it...well that tells you something now then doesn't it?
Oh hang on-one thing I should have mentioned in my previous reviews of others books in this series, I really/seriously/highly doubt that in the Roman times, children like Lupus, Jonathan, Nubia and Flavia would be allowed to hang out and become friends, for one thing, Nubia is from Africa-and even though I didn't live in the Roman
Matilda Rose
I loved this book. It was so descriptive on the first page, and I loved every second of it:

"The day Flavia Gemina learned she was to be married began like any other winter day in the Roman port of Ostia. When Flavia awoke, shortly after dawn, the sky showed as pearly pink diamonds through the lattice-work of her window. She could hear rain gurgling in the gutters and there was a delicious freshness in the air: the smell of rich earth and wet brick."

When Roman widow Cartilia starts showing to muc
Jon
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I'd forgotten about this series I started reading a couple of years ago--now I see that the author has started yet another Roman series for even younger readers (this one is for ages 10-13) and also has a "western" series apparently about the Pinkertons. In any case, this is the sixth in the series, taking place only about 6 months after the first, so the "mysteries" are coming thick and fast for Flavia and her three close friends. Flavia is a bossy, smart, opinionated little miss (she's 10 year ...more
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ähnlich wie bei Harry Potter ist ab diesem Band langsam schluss mit lustig. Caroline Lawrence schreckt nicht davor zurück auch liegbgewonnene Charaktäre zu töten, wenn es im Plot passt. Auch Hauptfiguren kann ein schwerer Schicksalschlag treffen. Es wird immer besser und wird immer spannender. Dieser Band endet mit einem sehr gemeinen Cliffhänger.

Zeitpunkt der Geschichte:
um den 13 bis 15./21. Februar 80 n. Chr.

Neue Erkenntnisse:
In diesem Band erfahren wir, dass
Spoiler Spoiler

* Nubia zum Zeitpun
Mrs. Roy
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Leah
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The previous novels made me want to buy more
Shelves: childrens
Being mainly about my least favourite character and her being annoyed that her father has a possible love interest, I found this one rather hard to get through.

I had begun to like Flavia again, but this one made her seem brat-like and childish again. I disliked her over-reaction to Cartilia, and if she hadn't kept trying to find out secrets, Marcus would have married her and she would have had a mother, which she realised she wanted by the end of the novel. It just frustrated me.

To be fair to th
Ujwals
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina was a great book. It was another mystery set in ancient Rome, but this time in a festive season. I liked how the main character, Flavia Gemina, embarked on the journey of Hercules, to find her clues. Since it was much harder to do what Hercules did, they modified, just to meet someone and pick up a clue. After finding 12 clues, they solved the mystery, and I was able to too! I really liked the significance of family values that was demonstrated in this book. The ...more
Ashani Waidyatillake
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SUPER!! IT IS BECAUSE FLAVIA HAS TO COMPLETE TWELVE TASKS BEFORE SHE CAN FIND OUT WHO IS PAULA AND WHY SHE IS TRYING TO WIN HER FATHER'S LOVE. BEFORE FLAVIA KNOWS IT, SHE IS WHISKS TO A WORLD OF MAN EATING SPIDERS AND GIRAFFES AND TIGERS AND LIONS AND ALSO MIND BLOWING TWENTY FOUR HOUR FESTIVALS AND BIG CELEBRATIONS TOO. WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED IN THIS BOOK IS THAT THE TITLE COULD BE " THE LION THAT NUBIA TAMED" AND I THINK THAT THIS TITLE WOULD BE MORE COOL AND BETTER FOR READERS TO ...more
Tweedledum
I am so enjoying this series of stories. Number 6 revolves around the Roman Saturnalia festival ... The midwinter festival and sees the younger girls in the grip of first love. From love to love potions -Flavia suspects that the woman her father plans to marry has been using a love potion to entrap him.

Georgina Ortiz
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five stars because the author was brave enough to make "shocking" character decisions [considering that this is a children's (or does it qualify as YA?) book]. And I learned more Greek myths. And the origin of the Tarantella (interesting and relevant to the book's theme!). On to The Enemies of Jupiter!
Lori
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Generally, I really enjoy this series, but in this one Flavia was fairly unlikeable for a majority of the book. Too much girl drama for my tastes, and although it still had some great parts (Lupus was a lot of fun in this one) I just didn't like this one as well as the others. Looking forward to seeing what is next, as there are still many books in the series we haven't read.
Eric Zulueta
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel marks a milestone for this series - in the sense that Flavia (the main heroine from among the ensemble characters) matures from a child - with the attendant stubborn fixed worldview - to an adult who is able to take life's trials and move on (with the help of her friends, of course!)..

The ending is more poignant and heart-felt because of the death of an important character..
Chroniclesoftania
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
My first foray into The Roman Mysteries. The location adds a nice differentiation from the usual formula of children's adventure stories. In a more modern twist, there is an element of romantic infatuation which is interesting to bring into the 10 year old readership age group.
Rachel S.
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In this SWEET! book Flavia's father is acting all weird all the suden and she thinks its becouse of the lady who her father wants to merrie!
in this book Flavia has to pass 12 tasks to find out what is realy going on!
Vicki Cline
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman-mysteries
Flavia is suspicious of a new woman her father's shown an interest in. She and her friends investigate, and help round up some animals who have escaped from a traveling circus. The twelve tasks are related to similar ones Hercules had to perform.
Mailis Viiand
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Im always game to learn something new, and this book gives you an opportunity to live and breathe rome...
Laura Bang
Some good (albeit harsh) character development for Flavia -- hopefully it sticks in later books.... The ending was rather shocking and very rushed.
Brett
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
The characters continue to develop in interesting ways. Flavia Gemina's determination to somehow keep things the same in the face of potential life changes is very realistic.
Tessa
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
really good book.
Abby
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book because I like mystery stories and historical fiction, Caroline Lawrence has combined the two perfectly. I also like it because of the description Caroline uses.
Magda
Bethany Dickey
Jul 27, 2013
Leanne Wandless
May 21, 2010
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • Earthlord (The De Danann Tales, #2)
  • Crusade
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Sweet-talking TJ
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Sun Horse, Moon Horse
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Sirens of Surrentum (The Roman Mysteries, #11)