Start by marking “Zombie Iceland” as Want to Read:
Zombie Iceland

Zombie Iceland

Zombie Iceland is the debut novel of award-winning journalist and writer Nanna Árnadóttir. While Zombie Iceland is technically an Icelandic book, written by an Icelander and published by an Icelandic publisher, the novel itself is in English and is aimed at tourists looking for a different sort of travel book.

Following an accident at the construction of a new I
Published July 20th 2011 by OkeiBæ Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Iceland, please sign up.
Sebastian
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Zombie Iceland
I loved this book for many reasons. First, true confession, because I recently visited Iceland (where I bought the book at Mál og Menning in Reykjavik) and months after returning I am still enamored with the country. But, second, because the author does a great job developing her characters.

This is a story of three siblings trying to survive in Reykjavik immediately after a zombie outbreak and the four strangers they adopt from an outing to get medical supplies. All the characters ha
Iona
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: world
What on earth did I just read?!?

My brother brought me this book back from his holiday on Iceland last week. It's certainly not a book I'd ever have picked up myself. That said, I actually rather enjoyed it.

Sure, it's in dire need of an editor to sort out some of the grammar mistakes and it seems to be written in some sort of British-American hybrid form of English, but this really didn't detract from a nice gruesome story about a zombie apocalypse.

The characte
Fezmay
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I could have read this in one sitting, I would have. I bought this book on my last day in Iceland, and my decision was definitely influenced by the inclusion of a zombie apocalypse accompanying playlist - everything a music nerd could want. It's not a brilliant novel, but it moves along at breakneck pace, and is thoroughly, completely enjoyable. The characters are developed nicely, the footnotes regarding Icelandic culture and history are a great addition, and even Björk made a cameo.
Yo
Veerle
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
Fancy a trip to Iceland? If you really want to know more about Icelanders and how they really are, this book is the one you want. Especially the footnotes contain a lot of useful information.

The book was a fast read, but I enjoyed it a lot, even though zombie literature isn't my cup a tea. Having lived in Iceland, I could pictures the street in which it was set rather well (Melabudin :)), which made the story extra lively! It was kinda absurd as well and that's what I liked so much a
Κεσκίνης Χρήστος
Τουριστικός οδηγός για την Ισλανδία ΚΑΙ οδηγός επιβίωσης κατα την αποκάλυψη των Ζόμπι. Διασκέδασα τόσο πολύ αυτό το βιβλίο που πραγματικά όταν τελίωσα σκεφτόμουν την συνέχειά του. Είναι σαν να έβλεπα μία ταινία του μάστορα Romero, μαζί με μία δόση από Zombieland. Χιούμορ σχεδόν σε κάθε σελίδα του βιβλίου, αλλά χωρίς αυτό να χαλάει την ζομπο-ατμόσφαιρα. Παρακαλάω για δετερο μέρος, ή για κάτι αντίστοιχο.
Andrea
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Found this book while visiting Iceland and had to have it! It was very amusing, and I enjoyed the character development, historical notes, and zombie description (Bjork as a Zombie!!!). It wasn't a masterpiece but was definitely worth the read, especially if you love Iceland and Zombie books as much as I do!
George Sotirhos
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The book is also avaliable and in the Greek Language!
George Sotirhos
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Σημείωση για τους ταξιδιώτες: Αυτό εδώ το βιβλίο περιέχει μια λίστα με τραγούδια για τους λάτρεις της ισλανδικής μουσικής, μια συνταγή για κρεατόσουπα και διάφορες άλλες χρήσιμες πολιτιστικές και ιστορικές πληροφορίες για την Ισλανδία. Α! και ζόμπι. Πολλά ζόμπι.

ΔΕΛΤΙΟ ΤΥΠΟΥ

Δέσιμο: μαλακό εξώφυλλο
Λιανική Τιμή: 14 Ευρώ
Κατηγορία: Ισλανδι
Skuli Saeland
Varð að kaupa þessa þegar ég rakst á hana í bókabúð. Augsýnilega ætluð ferðamönnum en það sem mér fannst svo áhugavert var að í hvern kafla er settur QR-kóði með lögum sem tengjast textanum auk þess sem fjöldi mynda eftir Hugleik Dagsson er í bókinni sem tengjast uppvakningaþemanu.
Að þessu sögðu þá fannst mér bókin slöpp. Gaman að hafa lesið hana en söguþráður og persónusköpun ekkert súper en það er húmor og kaldhæðni sem oft nýtur sín vel. Bókin er á ensku og málfar ber þess merki, oft kl
Graham Bailey
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Interesting relic this one - a zombie narrative with the pretense of being a traveller's guide to Iceland. As such, it ends up being neither really. It works to introduce some of the sights and scenes of Reyjavik and some Icelandic words. Plus there's a QR code for each chapter, pointing to a track for each chapter which builds up a playlist of Icelandic music to help you surive a zombie apocalypse.

The writing is bad: I feel cruel saying it since this has clearly been through some wr
Sheri Radford
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one falls under the "so bad it's good" category. It's obvious that this book was written by someone whose first language is NOT English, but the awkward word choices added a certain charm. (What's not forgivable in any language, however, are the abundant grammar and punctuation errors. An editor was desperately needed.) But this book is worth reading, because it's a bizarre mix of a zombie novel and a travel guide (footnotes explain Icelandic terms to visitors) and an introduction to Icelan ...more
Μιχάλης
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Reads quite like a tourist guide to Iceland... with zombies. There is style and humor and interesting footnotes on the Icelandic culture, but it lacks on a story. Definetely an interesting and enjoyable read, but with little substance to get the fourth star
Tasha
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Translated with a few grammatical and spelling mistakes but it is a self-published work so no complaints. Great as a brief travel guide and zombie story. Would definitely read again.
catherine
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
read like YA with a mediocre story, but the use of footnotes for cultural and historic info was great, as was the unexpected ending.
DMS
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, 2019-library
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Τι μούφα ήταν αυτή...δε λέω, έφευγε νερό, είχε και την κλασσική ζομποκατάσταση, αλλά βρε παιδί μου, τι χρειάζονταν όλες αυτές οι παραπομπές, όλο αυτό το τουριστικό παραλήρημα σχετικά με την Ισλανδία;
Amanda
Stephany Peterson
Jun 04, 2014
Jason
Aug 19, 2014
Nanna is an Icelandic journalist, writer and pop culture nerd who has worked as a journalist, sub-editor and social media geek for over a decade.

Her first English language novel, Zombie Iceland Zombie Iceland was published in 2011. She is currently working on her second.