Start by marking “Showcase Presents: All-Star Squadron, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: All-Star Squadron, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: All-Star Squadron, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents)

A new super-team, the All-Star Squadron, has been founded on Earth II in the hopes of finding several lost heroes from the Justice Society of America. But the JSA's old foe Per Degaton is plotting to help with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Can the team stop him from delivering mystic weapons to Hitler and Tojo?
Published April 24th 2012 by DC Comics (first published June 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Joseph
May 04, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
description

Next up on the Shallow Comic Reader's Buddy Read is the theme Black AND White.

In the late 70s and early 80s, there was an exodus of writers and artists from Marvel Comics to DC Comics. These creators were some of the most prolific creators that Marvel had, and seeing them jump ship to the competition was surprising and also exciting. Gerry Conway, Marv Wolfman, George Perez, John Byrne, and Roy Thomas were all some of the big guns who wrote series defining runs on titles from Amazing Spider-Ma
Tom
May 21, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
My tolerance for this volume of Showcase books is based on how much of Roy Thomas' writing I can take. Thomas is by no means a bad comic book writer, but his writing does have a certain style to it. Character personalities aren't particularly distinctive compared to other writers, and by this I mean all the characters he's written ever, not just the ones here. The All-Star Squadron's Johnny Quick could just as easily be the Avengers' Hawkeye. Most issues will feature a three to four page flashba ...more
Stephen
Nov 07, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
I really liked what they did with this storyline. I can't imagine that we'd have things like Marvels, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or The Twelve, a Watchmen movie, or as many Invaders stories looking backward as we have today if we didn't have these to show us how to fit stories into history seamlessly the way it was done here. The Invaders incarnation in the 1970s might have done it first (WWII tales written 30 years later), but these were better stories and had art.
Jason Luna
Mar 07, 2013 Jason Luna rated it it was amazing
A very sharply written all-star superhero book. A bunch of strange heroes who existed fo DC in the 40s and beat up bad guys. But the adventures are very clever, and there are actually some very funny and VERY sweet moments in this.

It's also a very clever use of anti-Nazi sentiment and pro-humanity stuff (makes sense, being set in the 40s).

If you like superhero comics, I think you'll like this. Roy Thomas is/was one of the greatest comic mag writers of the era, and enjoy him in his prime!
Steven Elliott
Feb 24, 2013 Steven Elliott rated it it was amazing
The reason I started reading and collecting comic books. Decided to revisit this comic book series in light of DC Rebirth and discovered little gems that I had missed before. Thomas was definitely a lover of the Golden Age when he write this series, but it is his attention to newer and long lost characters that made this series great.
Craig Tyler
Sep 18, 2012 Craig Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks
I was a big fan of these comics when first released back in 1982. Great stories, characters and art. So glad they made the cut in DC Showcase.
Lewis Manalo
Sep 18, 2012 Lewis Manalo rated it it was amazing
Five stars out of pure nostalgia.
Zack! Empire
Oct 14, 2015 Zack! Empire rated it really liked it
A really nice book to go into my Earth 2 collection. I really like the idea behind this book: The JSA members are off fighting in WW II so a new group of heroes come together to fight on the home front.
The group itself is really well put together. I like that are no big powerhouses like the JSA has. Commander Steel and Robot Man might be the toughest guys on the team but even they aren't that strong. I also thought that Liberty Bell and Johnny Swift were some great characters.
The book deals with
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
John Desmarais
John Desmarais rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Douglass Barre
Douglass Barre rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Scot Simmons
Scot Simmons rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Jerry Whitworth
Jerry Whitworth rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Justin Barber
Justin Barber rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Burke Burke
Burke Burke rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Reid Kerr
Reid Kerr rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Jeffrey S Forward
Jeffrey S Forward rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Skjam!
Skjam! rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Ralph
Ralph rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Eddie
Eddie rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Yosef Shapiro
Yosef Shapiro rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden A ...more
More about Roy Thomas...

Showcase Presents (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Adam Strange