Start by marking “The Case of the Cat's Meow” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Cat's Meow

The Case of the Cat's Meow

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The four members of the Private Eyes Club—Skinny, Wizard, Snitch, and Tubby—solve the baffling case of the missing cat.
Published October 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Cat's Meow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Cat's Meow

Allie Joyce
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book of all time ever.
C.
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a nice adventure for a toddler. It has a strong urban flavour of houses with ample yards for families. "The Case Of The Cat's Meow" always reminded me of that old television cartoon called "Fat Albert", with a friendly, creative gang of neighbourhood children in varied shapes and sizes. Bill Cosby voiced the whole cast about twenty-five years ago.

This book with vivacious images, was a gift for my 6th birthday. It is argumentative and feisty, not the fuzziest toddler story. I suppose I ke
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author: Crosby Bonsall
Genre: Mystery
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 2.7
Lexile: 310L

This book was written in 1965 so some things are slightly odd - for instance, there is a fat character named Tubby, and something about the illustration of the black boy strikes me as possibly racist, but that might just be my imagination. Written in very simple language, this is the story of four friends who try to find one boy's pet cat after it goes missing. They notice that the cat has
Kami Adams
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This nonfiction children's book is about a group of little boys who call themselves Private Eyes. Snitch, being the one who loves his cat, Mildred tells his friends, Wizard, Tubby and Skinny that he needs help because someone wants to steal Mildred. Wizard, Tubby and Skinny say that Snitch is crazy and that no one wants to steal that dumb cat but then Mildred goes missing. Throughout the book the Private Eyes try to solve the case of the missing Mildred. Turns out that Mildred was going off to b ...more
Alex Wingrove
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is about four kids: Snitch, Wizard, Skinny, and Tubby. They have lost their cat, Mildred, and are looking for him. It is set up as a mystery with the kids basically being detectives, trying to figure out different strategies to find their cat. They go through different obstacles with their strategies, but then at the end, they find Mildred and discover that she has had kittens. They each keep one.
This book was funny to me because it just showed the imagination of little kids. They came
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Snitch is worried his cat, Mildred, might get stolen, so he hides her in the gang's clubhouse. Snitch's brother, Wizard, tells him nobody would steal Mildred in the first place, but even if they did try, they wouldn't get away with it. After all, he and his buddies--Skinny & Tubby--are private eyes with a clubhouse that's alarmed with a special water-bucket-alarm.

Despite what Wizard says, Snitch wakes up the next morning to find Mildred gone. He's certain someone has stolen her, and the gan
Siskiyou-Suzy
I like this series in general -- mostly for nostalgic reasons -- but I hate the way Tubby is portrayed. This story is all right, though I wish the boys were not so mean to little Snitch. I'm also a little confused -- his cat disappears, but it was in the clubhouse the whole time? Anyway, it's alright.
Stephanie Moran
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun book to read with my kids. Although I did the reading, l felt the author used easy enough words that a child could enjoyably read this and feel confident. Great book for K-2 grades. My kids loved the story and enjoyed the mystery.

My copy is Weekly Reader Book. Copyright 1965.
Edward Creter
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Our amateur private eyes are searching for their missing cat--and wait till they do find her. Cute cute cute!
John Yelverton
Aug 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book couldn't even be qualified as cute. It was just plain bad.
Michelle
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mariana
The kids enjoyed this book.
Dolly
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, mystery, 2007
This is a cute story, about a cat who disappears and the kids who work together to find her. Our girls really enjoyed this story, especially the surprise ending.
Maria
Sweet little story about four boys who go looking for a lost cat.
Cws
Oct 06, 2011
Erica
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Although Crosby Newell Bonsall studied at New York University School of Architecture and the American School of Design, she is most known for her children's books. Some were published under the name Crosby Newell.

Her career as a children's author started as a doodle on her drawing board. Later, a doll manufacturer purchased the rights to her orange-haired, freckle-faced rag doll who later became
More about Crosby Bonsall...