Start by marking “Secrets of the Magic Ring” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Magic Ring

Secrets of the Magic Ring

When Paul finds a box stuck in the hole dug for his backyard swimming pool, the only thing he knows for certain is he has to get it out. Once that’s done, he’s shocked by the sudden arrival of a strange boy named Henry who demands Paul hand over his newfound treasure. Luckily, Paul’s dog scares off the intruder, leaving Paul to discover the contents of the box: a ring with ...more
Published November 8th 2011

Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of two reviews - me and a 7th grader: I thought this book was good while the 7th grader absolutely loved it, hence the "star" rating on the book as the 7th grader is the target audience vs. a middle-aged Dad.

The author has a nice writing style that is engaging and full of rich and believable characters, complete with some nice life lessons and a tale you can have a conversation with your child about when they are done vs. a short "I liked it" or "didn't like it" discus
Gwen
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads giveaways in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. It would be appropriate for a reader about 9 years and over.

The story is about Paul, who finds a magic ring when workmen are building a pool in his back yard.
The ring grants the wearer one wish, but unless the wish is selfless, it will eventually go wrong. Be careful what you wish for, Henry wished to remain young forever and now 65 years later he is still
Carro Herdegen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language - G, Sexual Content - G; Violence - G
Paul is finally getting the pool he's always wanted, and while it's being dug he finds a magic ring in the dirt. It's all fun and games at first, but soon Paul learns that wishes can be dangerous.
The book was cute, but it wasn't one I'll remember. The moral, though, is one that we could learn from: you can be happy with what you've got. You don't need wishes to make life better. (And faries are always there to help.)
Reviewed for https://kissthebook.blogspot.com/
Andrea Hastings
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 5 year old daughter and I listened to Secrets of the Magic Ring while in the car doing our normal day to day activities. We both loved it. My daughter said it was even better than Celia and the Fairies. I agree! There was so much action and adventure. This book shows great examples of be careful what you wish for.
Melody R. Klockner
Be careful what you wish for...

This is a fun fantasy adventure for young readers with interesting characters, and several twists and turns, concerning a magic ring a young man finds when his backyard is being excavated to put in a pool. I don't want to spoil the surprises, but wishes don't always turn out as expected!
Lynette Murphy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good book. I loved it.
Norma Mason
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly Lovely!

The premise sounds fun but the execution is even better! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will highly recommend it to anyone, young and old!
Michelle Goodson
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, fun read.

It was a fun read for the Christmas break. And I wondered how they would solve the problem. Interesting ending.
Scottie Branch
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too short

Well the story line is great and it's a good read, just too short. I guess this is a book just for kids
Daisy Paquet
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this when I was younger and I re-read it the other day... I was confused, but I think this is the second book so...
Karissa
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I got a copy of this book for review form the publisher. This is a companion novel to Celia and the Fairies, this novel is told from Paul's viewpoint and takes place some time after the first book. I didn't like it quite as much as the first book, but it was still a magical and engaging story for younger readers.

Nine year old Paul discovers a strange box with a ring inside of it in a hole that is being dug for a pool behind his house. Paul finds that the ring seems to grant the deepe
L.A.
Article first published as Book Review:Secrets of the Magic Ring by Karen McQuestion on Blogcritics.

In a heartfelt time of year when the magic of Christmas is upon us, a dose of fun and fairies seems just the thing to add to a child’s holiday list.

In Secrets of the Magic Ring by Karen McQuestion, we are drawn into the mysteries of fairies along with their abilities and reason for being–at least in this part of the woods. When Paul’s rich Aunt Vicky decides to renew her relationship
Erin
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I was told about this book by my step daughter, she had got the book from her local library and decided to read it and loved it! So, naturally, since we like most of the same type of reads, I decided that I wanted to read this great book as well. So, when the author, Karen McQuestion offered me her book from my wishlist, Easily Amused, we started to talk about this and she had this one sent right over as well.

I'm not going to lie, it took me a little bit to get into this book. I had
Avry15
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, magic, children
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions
A nice book not just for children but also for young adults, and as one, I enjoyed it a lot..

The words are conversational and the descriptions are vivid….the illustrations also help to guide the readers , especially it would be really attractive for children…

My 12-year-old sister actually finished the book first than me, and I have to read it, since she’s claiming the story i
Candy
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
My 8-year-old and I read this book on our Kindles separately. Much like Celia and the Fairies, we talked about it after we finished. There are very few books that I enjoy as much as my children so it's always a special book when we are able to do that. To watch her little eyes light up while she tells me about her favorite parts of the book and to watch her try (and succeed) to talk her older brother into reading it too just warms this mom's heart.

I will say that we did decide that w
Anita
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this children's story from author Karen McQuestion because I have loved her adult novels and knew this would be just as wonderful.
Paul is thrilled when his Aunt offers to pay for a pool for his 9th birthday. He is fascinated by the digging and prepping for the pool........and then something magical and mysterious is found, a real buried treasure. Paul believes he has really found something beautiful and valuable, but he also reads the instructions and he soon learns the po
Tim Roast
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Whenever I see a book with a magic ring in it I immediately think of Lord of the Rings. Well this is not Lord of the Rings; it's a lot shorter for a start. In fact there aren't many similarities (this is a tale set in the real world whilst LOTR isn't for example) but the ring does seem to have a pull that makes people want to wear it which has LOTR written all over it.

The story follows only-child Paul who finds a magic ring which allows the wearer one wish and one wish only. Trouble
Gina Hott
Secrets of the Magic Ring is an interesting but fun middle grade read. The characters are well developed and the plot captivating.
However, I didn’t love this book. Cute though it was I had several issues. First, I didn’t like that Paul deliberately disobeyed, lied to, and misled his parents. I’m not naive about the truthfulness of this but the lack of remorse is bothersome. Second, and more importantly, Paul is besieged by a bully and refuses to confide in his parents.

More abou
Sugandha
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
While obviously being a children's book, I definitely enjoyed it and was intrigued. I'd say this book is best suited to an audience of between 5-10, and am certain they'd love it. An interesting story, with likable characters (I quite liked the parents, Celia and Grammy) and a "lesson" to be selfless and giving (among other things).

I am curious to know what Celia's grandmother and Paul's grandfather wished for, and how the last wish would have changed things. I'd also be interested in knowing m
Norma Blood
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was board and looking for something to read. I liked the title. I read it as and ebook on my kindle. I loved the fact that it was a fantasy that happened now. I knew the ring was going to be a problem. Most people have something they don't tell people they would love to do. The ring gave it to them but most people never really think about having that skill not living with it day in and day out. It was funny and sad. When they finally found someone who had the best dream that helped everyone. T ...more
Melissa
Oct 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
I don't like it that Paul and his partents communicate poorly with each other. I get frustrated when parents and their children aren't communicative with each other. It's my own personal thing, it doesn't mean the book is bad. So, yeah, give the book a chance. Just because I wasn't that into it doesn't mean you'll have the same opinion as me.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Tona
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Paul is so excited when his Aunt offers to buy them a pool. After the workers dig out the area for the pool, Paul sees something in the dirt. He waits till his mother and father are watching tv and goes to investigate. What he finds is a magical ring that will give him one super ability. What Paul doesn't know is that unless he makes a selfless wish, the ring will make his wish a curse.

Great book. I am so excited to read it to my nephew. I know he's going to love it too.
Sally
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Thank you to Ms. McQuestion for the giveaway! I love children's books because they have a simple beauty to them, and fantastic creativity. "Secrets of the Magic Ring" has both elements. It raises moral questions to get young readers thinking, and it is also a fun read. The illustrations in the book are charming as well :).
Shannon Dykes
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a really fun book. I look forward to reading it to my boys when they are a little bit bigger and having them read it on their own. The story is about Paul who's Aunt has a pool built for him. He finds a box with a magic ring. It is a creative story. I love the dog!!! but glad my dog can't talk!
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Great story! Writing and grammar were exceptional and the story was perfect for the children's age group it is assigned to, and me, an adult. I would love to read more adventures. This was a very short read, just a few hours. I highly suggest it for your children or yourself for some fun mystery!
Susan
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the second book in the series. Paul finds a magic ring that will grant you one wish. However, too late, he finds that sometimes your wishes make your life very miserable. It's a cute children's book.
Caitlin
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I loved this book because the Author made it exiting & you had to keep reading I recommend that you also read Celia and the Fairies
Alexandra
Aug 13, 2014 marked it as to-read-own
6/25/16 Kindle sale $1.00.
Susan
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Teaches a lesson that not everything you wish for really turns out perfect - that there can be a down side to those wishes.
Jodee Clark
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
Cute little story about a magic ring that grants wishes but be careful what you wish for for not all is as it seems.

Very enjoyable easy read

• The Jericho River
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Crystal & Bone (October Girls, #1)
  • The Jack of Souls (Unseen Moon, #1)
  • Iron Shinto (Moa, #3)
  • The Reflections of Queen Snow White
  • The Thing Is
  • Mers
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Days of Love and Blood
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Not From Around Here
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Chasing Vegas
  • The Girl in the Torch
  • The Colors of Malent (The Colors of Malent #1)
  • Between Worlds
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and NPR. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives in Hartland, Wisconsin.

Her website: www.karenmcquestion.com\