Start by marking “High Priest” as Want to Read:
High Priest

High Priest

Back in print after 20 years, this text from the earliest days of psychedelia chronicles the experiences on 16 acid trips taken before LSD was illegal. The trip guides or "high priests" included Aldous Huxley, Ram Dass, Ralph Meltzner, Huston Smith and a junkie from New York City named Willy. It tells of the goings-on and freaking out at the Millbrook mansion in New York S ...more
Published September 22nd 1995 by Ronin Publishing (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about High Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Priest

Start your review of High Priest
Josiah Miller
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a great treatment of the maturation of the expansion of consciousness and the journey through spirituality. It is a diary of finding one's own self and looking deeper within yourself and the outer depths of what lies on the other side of consciousness and the ineffable consequence of inner transformation. This is a great encounter of a movement that changed the world forever.
Brando
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this book, it details Timothy Leary's acid trips before it was criminalized with "High Priests" like Aldous Huxley and their spiritual interpretations of their visions. Leary's little side notes in the margins really helped to clarify some of the often inane ramblings.
Marie
Oct 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hippies
An extremely interesting book about Tim Leary's experimentation with LSD and the people he guided while they were tripping. Ginsberg makes an appearance and it's quite funny.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
This was probably the 1st Leary bk I read. I liked it alot when I read it. Strangely, though, I had little or no motivation to read anymore by him afterwards. I think I read "Jail Notes" later - but that was probably b/c I was interested in the jail break itself given that I figured I might need some inspiration along those lines someday. "High Priest" is uttterly brilliant w/ an interesting layout of multiple parallel texts & great drawings. It's bursting w/ inspiration.

Why did I have so littl
Maggie Odell
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am astounded that this book is not more popular. Timothy Leary was such a famous public figure in his time, and arguably still is, as I occasionally hear his name brought up in conversation from time to time.

He changed the world of psychedelics for better and for worse. Yes, he was irresponsible with his studies and abused his position, but the controversy over his studies also brought psychedelics to the forefront of the news and made many, many headlines. I doubt that anyone would have been
Chuck Clenney

• Levels of the Game
  • Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and the Doors
  • String Theory: David Foster Wallace on Tennis
  • Au revoir, les enfants
  • La première gorgée de bière et autres plaisirs minuscules
  • Journals
  • I segreti della mente: Capire, riconoscere, affrontare i segnali della psiche
  • Rage
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Go Ask Alice
  • No Man's Land, Volume 2: Sexchanges
  • Bug
  • Revolutionary Road
  • Bastogne
Timothy Francis Leary was an American writer, psychologist, futurist, modern pioneer and advocate of psychedelic drug research and use, and one of the first people whose remains have been sent into space. An icon of 1960s counterculture, Leary is most famous as a proponent of the therapeutic and spiritual benefits of LSD. He coined and popularized the catch phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out."