Start by marking “When We Were Very Young” as Want to Read:
When We Were Very Young

When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh #3)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  19,427 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
A.A. Milne's writing reaches the hearts of readers of all ages. His poems weave together the worlds of reality and enchanting make-believe. And they are paired perfectly with Ernest H. Shepard's whimsical illustrations.
Audio CD, Abridged
Published September 1st 1997 by Penguin Audio (first published 1924)

Kai
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shall I go off to South America?
Shall I put out in my ship to sea?
Or get in my cage and be lions and tigers?
Or - shall I be only Me?

Extraordinarily funny and cute, When We Were Very Young features a variety of poems by A. A. Milne. One of them first introduces us to Winnie-the-Pooh.
While I enjoyed most of them, and love others dearly, a few didn't hold my interest and were rather unimpressive.
It's one of those books that I will read to my future children, if they'll like it or not.

P.S.: Can some
Nandakishore Varma
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Childhood is a beautiful country, one which I was loath to leave but had to, all the same. It is the inevitable tragedy of the human condition. But writers have the magic in their pens, using which they can take us back to that hallowed place. This is one thing that A. A. Milne does wonderfully well. No wonder his books for children have outlived his more "serious" works.

Reading these poems, I could visit Christopher Robin's pre-school world of late mornings, drowsy afternoons and exciting days
Manny
For people who missed Private Eye's obituary poem a couple of decades ago:
Seventy-seven, shorn of his locks
Christopher Robin beds down in a box
No need to whisper, we've got past that stage
Christopher Robin has died of old age
Merphy Napier
These were really cute, but I liked the second book of poems much more!
Susan Howson
Jun 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also know this one by heart. My poor future kids are going to have A. A. Milne rammed down their throats. "Can I please have some dinner?" "REPEAT 'JAMES JAMES MORRISON MORRISON'!!!"
Joey Woolfardis
I've never read any Winnie-the-Pooh books but am extremely aware of what it's about. These are poems from the same author and they are extremely hit-and-miss, but those that hit are utterly wonderful.

Illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard, the poems centre around young people who are in charge of their own lives and worlds. They are whimsical and very Carroll-esque in their magical and lyrical prowess. Some are droll, however, but most are nice.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Qt
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Utterly charming and lovely--delightful rhythm, fun rhymes, and illustrations that fit it perfectly! This was my first introduction to A.A. Milne.
K.D. Absolutely
When We Were Young by A. A. Milne is composed of endearing 44 poems for children. Some of these poems I thought I heard when I was a young boy in the Pacific island. But at that time, I neither had knowledge of who A. A. Milne was nor I did have any interest on English poems. What I and my friends were singing were local poems like the very funny ”Tong-tong-tong paketong-ketong/ Alimango sa dagat…” or the funnier ”Lumakad sya sa tubig, ang paa ay nabasa… Nguni’t ang kanyang *beep-beep* ay hindi ...more
Devina
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, young and old.
What a delightful little poetry book! I came across this by chance in the school’s old library a few days ago. I grew up with Winnie The Pooh, though I don’t see Disney rerunning any of the old episodes except only the occasional full length movie, it’s sad really.

Until lately I was unaware that the tales were originally written for Milne’s son, Christopher Robin, who had inspired them. Now if a father who had devoted writing little books of bouncing tigers and bossy rabbits and the likes for hi
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I used to love reading this book with my Mum and Dad. Inside is one of my favorite poems of all time...

'Halfway Down'

stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up
And it isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head.
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • A Child's Book of Poems
  • Haunted House
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Just So Stories
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep
  • Benjamin Franklin
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (5 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday
“She turned to the sunlight
    And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
    "Winter is dead.”
565 likes
“If people ask me,
I always tell them:
"Quite well, thank you, I'm very glad to say."
If people ask me,
I always answer,
"Quite well, thank you, how are you today?"
I always answer,