Start by marking “On the Launch Pad: A Counting Book about Rockets” as Want to Read:
On the Launch Pad: A Counting Book about Rockets

On the Launch Pad: A Counting Book about Rockets

3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . blastoff! In award-winning author Michael Dahl's, On the Launch Pad: A Counting Book About Rockets, a space shuttle awaits liftoff. Each page features bright illustrations with hidden numbers in the artwork to introduce the concept of counting. This exciting combination of outer space and math keeps readers flipping the pages and counting along.
Published January 1st 2004 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about On the Launch Pad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Launch Pad

gina
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
We brought home a ton of space books. Of all of them, this one was the winner he kept coming back to. I liked it too. Sometimes a nice simple picture book is a relief after reading lengthy board books with like The Little Cub which has paragraphs and paragraphs on it's 32 pages. Read this and several others like it 15 times a day and your voice will be so happy for something simple. Too bad the book had several tears in it before it got to us, and I didn't keep it more than a few days because I ...more
Heidi-Marie
Last minute cover for E.'s Toddler storytime (space theme). Quick glance through and I thought this book would be good. Had some counting we could do, and good lead in to Zoom Zoom Zoom rhyme.
Mama Bibliosoph
Beginning with 12, we count down to blast off as a rocket is readied for launch. Turning the book 90 degrees on the final page for a vertically aligned BLAST OFF! adds a bit of interest.

This is a standard counting down book, designed to teach early number skills. Each number is given at the side of the page in a repeating format as a numeral, a word, and in dots (for subitizing). There is also some number of things to count within the illustration itself as part of the narrated story ("EIGHT tru
Deatrice
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book for little future astronauts! My kids loved finding the hidden number on each page and seeing all the different aspects and jobs associated with space travel. Matisse fans will appreciate the work that went into the illustrations. Great job Dahl, Alderman and Shea!
Kalynda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Colorful astronaut counting book!
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: space
I like how each number presents facets of a rocket launch. I enjoy the art and have found it fun to see where the artist has hidden each of the twelve numbers. It is a nice counting book which exposes readers to different people & elements that are part of a rocket launch. It is also a very inclusive book with men and women of different ethnicity portrayed. At the end of the book is one long page and you can see the finished product the rocket ship. Children are engaged with this book counti ...more
Round Lake Area Public Library
Kids love rockets and space and this is a great book that shows how the rockets are prepared for launch. The colors and illustrations are simple yet fun and kids will enjoy the countdown to liftoff.

This is a great book that works on counting but instead of counting up this book counts down which is a nice change for kids. Another thing kids can do with this book is find the hidden numbers throughout the pages. This is a great book for toddlers to enjoy.
Barbara
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Here's a fun little book that counts backward from 12 during the preparation for the launch of a rocket. In On the Launch Pad by Michael Dahl, younger space fans will enjoy exploring the simple colorful illustrations by Derrick alderman and Denise Shea. Fun Facts and a list of hidden numbers can be found on the back page. There is a website listed as well where you can find websited related to the book.
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, picture-book
On the Launch Pad is a wonderful counting book about rockets. I liked how at the end of the book it offers fun facts and tell you about the other counting books in this series. I would recommend this book to children aged 3-6.
Gianina
Good counting practice, the simplicity of the illustration allows kids to focus on counting each object while still learning space vocab. I liked how there was the written number as well as the number printed on each page.
Kevin Huot
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is about how rockets are prepped and how they launch. I enjoyed this book because it explains in very basic terms how a rocket gets ready for blast off. I would use this book to talk to younger children and help them begin to understand how the rocket blasts off.
Msjennifers Corner
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute for early readers. The hiding numbers add a little to the sparseness of the text.
Tracy
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Great book! My 3yo son loved this one!
Kristie
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
A sure winner for toddler boys!
Brooke
This is a counting book about the steps taken to launch a rocket. It would work for a counting storytime or a storytime on rockets/outer space.
Yvonne
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
we are still getting the hang of this book and all it has to offer, but it's very creative
Tracy Clausen
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
OK as a counting book, nice bright pictures, text is a bit ho-hum.
Jul 06, 2016
Jun 13, 2016
Natalie Malone
Dec 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Dahl is the author of over 100 children's books. Some of his most popular series are Finnegan Zwake, Library of Doom, and Dragonblood. He resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a haunted house.

He also writes under aliases Chris Carey, Rick Thomas, and Mark Ziegler.