Start by marking “Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others

Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others

America's leadership expert teaches that if your life in any way connects with other people, you are an influencer. Whatever your vocation or aspiration is, you can increase your impact with Maxwell's simple, insightful ways to interact more positively with others. Watch your personal and organizational success go off the charts!
Published August 27th 2006 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Person of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Person of Influence

Tony Jr.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
The first chapter alone was worth the price of this book. The rest of the book could have been blank pages with smiley faces along the top and I would still be happy.

The first chapter of this book is about two things
1. The #1 key to influencing people which is trust
2. How to gain trust which is being a person of integrity

Great read and something I will re-read throughout life.
Aimee Guerrero
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
My first John Maxwell book! It was really awesome! It taught me that I can be a woman of influence wherever I am. Also this helped me in learning how to lead my Life Group and how be a good leader to my disciples. This book is best for church leaders, managers, supervisors, business men, and ordinary men/women who are destined for greatness! :) The book made me realize that I was born to influence, I am born to lead. :) #BornForThis
Sandra Cummings
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to influence others.
Recommended to Sandra by: A friend
We all have a desire to make a difference in the world. The book "Becoming a Person of Influence" focuses on using your writing and communication skills to motivate and influence others to achieve success.

The book focuses on meeting people where they are and then developing them through various styles of communication.

The idea of the author is to identify the barriers to success and then challenge your audience to overcome them, with communication being your main tool.

A few great examples are
James
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, psychology
Another priceless book. Place this alongside the books "How to Win Friends and Influence People", "7 Habits of Highly Effective People", and "The Science Of Self-Confidence", and you will be ready to change some lives. This book expounds on the importance of being a leader.

Most importantly, a leader is not just somebody who tells others to do, but they are a role model. They are somebody that looks to make others succeed.

An INFLUENCER is a person who:
Has (I)ntegrity
(N)urturs others.
Has (F)aith i
Rhonda Sue
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone who wishes to understand how to become a person of influence. I found this book in a storage box from several moves ago and inside the cover was a touching card from a good friend. She was a smart lady of influence and knew what she was doing! It brought a smile to my face to say the least, but I wish I had read this book back when I received it. I've read so many books of this genre that I don't recall if I actually read it then but reading it twice is not a bad idea.

T
Lynn
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I enjoy the most about my profession, Human Resources, is seeing others succeed at work or in life. It is especially gratifying when that success cascades and enhances the lives of others. This is an inspirational read that can help you to develop the potential of others and yourself. You may ask "who are you influencing?" and the answer is that it could be any person at any time for almost any reason.

Each chapter provides a checklist of behaviors that will enhance your "influencing" skill
Lauri
Aug 11, 2011 added it
I read this with my Arbonne team, and it was a really worthwhile read. Both interesting and inspiring, this is one of those rare books that I think everyone can gain something from, regardless of your industry or profession. Whether or not we are aware of it, we all have influence over others; are you using your influence to make an impact? Is it the impact you want to be making?
Rick Mackinnon
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
We all influence people. Want to have a greater influence? This is a classic giving practical pointers on how to became someone who better interacts with people making it possible to influence them in a possitive way.
Phil Lamb
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: religious readers
Maxwell does a nice job but it seems to simple to me. It is more like a good religious read rather than great content on how it will apply to the leadership world.
I recommend it but don't expect it to cause you to think much. Just a lite read. Decaf coffee not good Cuban Expresso.
David Owen
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Very good and compact book on leading and mentoring others, but was also a bit repetitive and didn't really say anything new.
Ronald
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audio Book. Very useful tips from Maxwell as usual.
Clifford  Onehundredd
Required Reading!!! The closest counterpart jewel to Dale Carnegie's book "How To Win Friends and Influence People". This book exceeds all expectations if you're open to receiving and applying the principles. John C. Maxwell's Becoming A Person Of Influence; will inevitably become a part of you when you study and apply the principles. I always knew I had potential to influence people, this book intensified my character traits. It is the epitome of becoming an true influencer when you've read and ...more
Meichunyu
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a practical handbook on how to positively impact the lives of people God surrounded us with! I am ready Lord. I pray for opportunities to apply the principles learnt in this book in real life. Joseph F. Newton said, "People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges."- no one ever achieves alone what he can do when partnering with others.
Sarah Wesgate
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! My focus switched from worrying about what others thought of me to “what can I do to influence this person positively right now?”. It is a mind shift that literally changed the trajectory of my life and helped me discover WHO I am.
Steve
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book, and will definitely become part of my reread rotation. It is so packed full of knowledge that it can continue to teach leaders and influencers at any stage in their growth.
Johnnie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Ted and I are using it with several of our mentees.
Adam H.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maxwell at his best!
Aloysius Rene
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10 tips of being people of influence... my favorite quotes here : “a lot of people wants to hear to answer, learn how to hear to understand, not to answer”
Gyasi Ambrose
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent work by Jim and John. I will definitely work on improving myself to positively influence others.
Cristine
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, here is another John Maxwell book. This was a little more interesting to do. The really helps you become a good leader. Integrity is big in this book. Also, are you being a mentor? That was hard for me to understand until I realized that this was people who influenced you in your life. There it is again...INFLUENCE. Are you being a good or bad influence? Your life shows alot. You have to be a good listener.
This book sums it up real easy for you. I-Integrity with People; N-Nurtures Other P
Miguel Castillo
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-recommended
So far, have only received positive feedback of this piece of work, and for sure is a good book.

I believe that the most valuable lessons, without diminishing the others importance, would be the related to the first and fourth influence phases.

In fact the last chapter summarises the principles pretty well of the whole book.

Also I think this book is better suited for a newcomer, not because to the more experienced won't be able to teach anything, but first and foremost that it provides a factual,
Jennifer Alexander Reynolds
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
If becoming a better leader is your goal, I highly recommend this book. Just because you are in a leadership role does not mean you are a person of positive influence. A leader continues to grow and John & Jim truly outline key steps, give in depth analogies, and provide real world examples of how to be a leader of positive influence. I learned a great deal from this book & I plan to read other John Maxwell books. His easy going style and intricate details and steps agree with my learnin ...more
Chase Parsley
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Maxwell and Dornan write in a folksy, easy to understand way, and I gained a lot from it. I digested wonderful stuff about the importance believing in others, being a listener first, empowering others, the importance of integrity, and more. Best of all, on almost every page there are wonderful quotes or a story illustrating what is being explained. A must read for anyone in a position of authority and/or wanting to make a difference in life. Not preachy at all but rather solid ...more
Shannan
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of maxwells best books! A more adaptive translation of the pop '80's book How to Win Friends and Influence People. Common practices like: believing in others, having integrity, being of sound judgement are some of the many concepts explained. However, I put this book down for a minute and then never picked it up again which tells me it's not a MUST READ. More like "good to read but okay if you don't"
Sujata Sahni
" A Leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others see and who sees before others do" ~ Leroy Eims

A quick learning guide to being able to influence people positively and help them grow into leaders. Covers topics on mantaining integrity with people, nurturing them, having faith in them, listening to them, understanding and enlarging them, navigating for them, connecting with them, empowering them which ultimately helps to reproduce influencers.
Rose Pereira
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Their philosophy is grounding and necessary.
Most importantly, I think it makes you realize that all that you learn in this book is applicable to your everyday life as much as in a business situation. The book includes a few very interesting examples that will make you think what you would have done in a similar situation. which person would you be? how would you behave and what will you gain from that?

It is also as much about influence as it is about communication.
Darren Kittleson
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another Maxwell classic. I've made a point of either reading a new John Maxwell book or re-reading a favorite at least 1 time every quarter. His thinking, teaching and philosophy are grounding in really focusing on what's important in the life I live. This would fall into that category. Many great stories and insights about who you are in the world and the impact that can have on so many people around you.

Definitely worth a read.
Fabrizio Poli
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Influence is an important element of leadership. In this book John C Maxwell talks about the principles that need to be practiced in order to develop influence and hence become a great leader.

Influence is not about position but really about behaviour. He also talks about how an important part of influence is building the members of your team.

For anybody in leadership this is a great tool to improve yourself and others.

Wynn
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually leading an in-person class on this book in January. It is not rocket science, but it is all that you need to really shift some things around in your life for the better. If you're interested in attending the in-person class or would like for me to do it online/phone-conference, let me know.

It is powerful.

You can see the webpage for the class here: http://wynngodbold.com/becoming-a-per...
Tawnia
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Managers & future leaders
Shelves: work
I recommend this book for managers and people who want to develop their leadership skills. This book was easy to read (when I made the time to read it!) and I thought it gave a lot of great examples. The questions at the end of each chapter helped me with developing personal development goals and with discussions with co-workers also reading the book. This book is very inspirational and makes me want to be a better leader, friend, future parent...person.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • High Trust Selling: Make More Money in Less Time with Less Stress
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
“In most cases, those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary.” 25 likes