Start by marking “All Made Up” as Want to Read:
All Made Up

All Made Up

In the second volume of her memoirs, the prize-winning author Janice Galloway reveals how the child introduced in This Is Not About Me evolved during her teenage years.
Published August 25th 2011 by Granta (first published August 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about All Made Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Made Up

Start your review of All Made Up
MJ Nicholls
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original review:

I actively dislike novels about writers’ schooldays, about their early inurement to bullying through their book-munching habits, how reading Virgil at twelve opened them up to a world of bookish intelligence while all the other losers languished in meaningless office drudgery. All this while the great author sits ruminating from his study in Morocco, sipping sherry and having his toes waxed. Now: this isn’t a novel but a memoir, so demurely sidesteps the first charge, commencing
Tuck
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
janice galloways 2nd autobio taking her through "high school" times and a bit into university and after. if anything this history is even more ghastly than her little girl history in that her older sister is perhaps even more sadistic to her, and her mother even more out of touch and caught in the middle of a miserable situation of poverty, widow, and 2 daughters that frankly would drive anybody around the bend. galloway's stories are compelling and "natural" seeming, and interesting to see into ...more
Bookthesp1
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
All Made Up is deliberately self conscious. Janice Galloway has written a hybrid book that has hints of conventional biography coupled with memoir and misery lit to provide a beguiling and heartfelt project about her own family and schooldays as a teen coming to terms with her own burgeoning intelligence, 'difference' from her family and her sexuality. Her title is also deliberately provocative- verbatim accounts of childhood conversations with her mother, sister (the deadly and dangerous Cora) ...more
Christine Williams
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Honest, gritty and humorous. She gets your admiration.
Trish
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I was interested in this book as Janice is only a year younger than me and also went to grammar school, so I recognised a lot of her school experience.
I loved the way she writes, though I found the lack of speech marks confusing at times.
The picture she paints of her sister Cora is of a nightmare older sister.Her physical and mental bullying of Janice was appalling.
Her mother wasn't much kinder!
Janice's love of music and her gratitude to some of her teachers was uplifting to read about.
Komodo_gill
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Bettie
Aug 27, 2011 marked it as noway-josé
PhebeAnn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I was perhaps not quite as enchanted by All Made Up as I was by the first volume of Galloway's memoir, This is Not About Me, but only by the teensiest of degrees. Because it dealt with her teen years into adulthood, rather than childhood (the previous volume ends at age 11) it didn't have the same whimsy of the gaze-through-the-eyes-and-mind of a child that the first volume had. That said, it retained the honesty, detail, and gorgeous world building of the first volume. I was totally ...more
Kirsty Grant
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Janice Galloway knows how to tell a story and this one (memoir) delivers like a skelp on the heid when you wurnie expectin it. A follow up to This is Not About Me,' (which I loved) , this book didn't disappoint. From starting high school to discovering a love for music and Latin, all while avoiding her rocket of a sister, Janice Galloway doesn't skip a beat. From boys, love, friendship, sex and learning how to live in this world, you'll find it all. Honest, cringeworthy, sad and funny and all ...more
Kathryn Gordon
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel bereaved finishing this book. It was just incredible. I’m rubbish with words and probably can’t explain how or why it touched me so much. I read it straight after the first memoir. They don’t have to be read together, it does stand alone. I will carry this book with me most likely for the rest of my life. Thank you Janice Galloway.
Derbhile Graham
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Beautifully written, but the overall effect was a bit meh. Not sure why, but I'm finding this is happening to me a lot lately, so it's definitely not Galloway's fault. Worth it for the depictions of the difficult sister and the achingly sad ending, giving an insight into how women endure emotional suffering and strive to hold their own in a man's world.
Abhishek
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a good read. You get to look a little into the life of the author and the writing style is good. You get to visualise the scenes and it's a good read if you want to improve your writing skill.
Pamela Scott
All Made Up didn’t quite live up to my expectations. I expected great things of the memoir because I was so impressed with Galloway’s Collected Stories I devoured a few weeks ago.

Galloway’s writing style is as impressive as her short stories. Every word I read of All Made Up made me feel like I was being given a tiny glimpse deeper and deeper into her soul. If All Made Up hadn’t been released and well publicised as a memoir I’d have suspected it was because of how personal the writing was.

I did
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, ebooks
Galloway has a way with words. She writes autobiography with the fluidity of good fiction.
Hannah Wingfield
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Janice Galloway has the best book titles. The Trick Is To Keep Breathing, This Is Not About Me and now All Made Up, her second memoir. It picks up where This Is Not About Me left off and follows Janice through her high school days in 1960s/70s Saltcoats (that’s on the west coast of Scotland for those who don’t know. I’ve been there, it’s a fairly typical run-down seaside town). Admittedly I came to this book biased, being a fan of Janice Galloway’s other writing. I hastily snatched it up from ...more
Hilary
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This could so easily have been a well-written misery memoir, but I found in it resilience and hope and a tough sort of family love and solidarity (despite the awfulness of the author's much older sister Cora). I related very much to the story of a girl for whom Ardrossan Academy was her way out of he narrow confines of her home and family - and despite Cora's violent outbursts it was what her nearest and dearest wanted for her. As I am of Janice Galloway's generation, I also recognised what she ...more
Margaret Skinner
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing - better read after her first memoir. She has the ability to take you where she is, put yourself exactly in her situation, see and hear the people around her and get inside her head. I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more of her.
Jean Brodie
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd thought this was going to be a factual autobiography, although really the clue is in the title! Nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed it and could relate to much of it as someone who was also at secondary school in Scotland in the 70s. The power of Jackie on us teenagers!
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worrrrr. I bloody love a bit of a misery memoir and this trumps the lot. Her style is TO DIE FOR, people. I want to read everything she's ever written. Five big fat stars.
Janice
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed reading about Janice's life growing up in Saltcoats/Ardrossan - definitely not a sugar coated story.
Rachel Pollock
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mfa-studies
Decent. It didn't blow me away or anything, but for a fairly straightforward memoir of adolescence, it was engaging enough to finish. Flashes of brilliance, but also a few so-whats.
Mayka
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a "slow" memoir, and doesn't really pick up til the second half/last third. I stuck with it because of the language: so rich, and different enough from Standard American English.
Craig Smillie
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sensational. Beautiful writing. Tremendous insight. The intricate and at times terrifying labyrinth of events that make us who we are.
Kirsty
I love Galloway, but this wasn't as gripping as her first volume of autobiography, and I must admit that I took it back to the library before finishing it.
Catf
Shirley Jones
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blood Orange
  • The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)
  • The Art of Dying (Way of All Flesh 2)
  • Lowborn: Growing Up, Getting Away and Returning to Britain’s Poorest Towns
  • Feuchtgebiete
  • Pigs in Heaven
  • The World As It Is: Inside the Obama White House
  • Reunion
  • Playing Irish (Harte #1)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • The Housemate
  • The Service Of Clouds
  • Common People: An Anthology of Working Class Writers
Janice Galloway was born in Ayrshire in 1955 where she worked as a teacher for ten years. Her first novel, The Trick is to keep Breathing, now widely considered to be a contemporary Scottish classic, was published in 1990. It was shortlisted for the Whitbread First Novel, Scottish First Book and Aer Lingus Awards, and won the MIND/Allan Lane Book of the Year. The stage adaptation has been ...more