Start by marking “Stealing Jenny” as Want to Read:
Stealing Jenny

Stealing Jenny

After a delicate pregnancy, Jenny and Tom are days away from having their sixth child. But when Jenny is kidnapped by a deranged woman, the family must summon all of their faith as Jenny fights for her life. Religious Fiction.

"I literally couldn't put it down and give Stealing Jenny my highest recommendation."
Lisa M. Hendey, Founder of CatholicMom.com and author of "A Bo
Published September 2011 by Full Quiver Publishing

Start your review of Stealing Jenny
Lisa Hendey
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Stealing Jenny is a gripping novel filled with engaging characters, a compelling mystery and a message which underscored the precious dignity of life. I literally couldn't put it down. As the other reviewers have shared, the pace of this novel will keep you turning the pages until the end and wishing for more. Ellen Gable's storytelling gifts shine, but another part of the value of Stealing Jenny is the tremendously positive message of the book. I give Stealing Jenny my highest recommendation an ...more
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-list
Stealing Jenny will keep you on the edge of your seat and probably destroy your sleep pattern as you stay up to find out what happens. But beyond being a great suspense, it’s also an excellent example of morals in action and family life redeemed. As a fan of Ellen Gable’s work already, I’m now officially getting a t-shirt!
Adrienne
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense
Too Lifetime Television Movies For Women for me.

I don't get the four and five star ratings, to be honest.
Amanda
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just thought the whole plot was ridiculous, and the faith aspects didn't seem real...
Jen
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Krisi Keley
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Stealing Jenny by Ellen Gable is a terrifyingly realistic suspense story that could be ripped from the headlines, but it’s also a beautiful life-affirming novel that offers so much more.

Jenny Callahan, a devout Catholic mom overjoyed by the imminent birth of her sixth child after three heartbreaking miscarriages, stands on the bus stop with her young son, waiting for her daughters’ return from school. When she’s approached by a woman offering to share some maternity and baby clothes, she accepts
Toni Ladd
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved Stealing Jenny! Ellen's books are wonderful. Each is unique. If you love moral fiction read this book. Highly recommended!
Wendy
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This story shows how love and faith can pull you through even the toughest situation.
Ruth
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
When Ellen Gable asked me if I would like a review copy of this novel, I made sure she had read my reviews of her earlier books: Emily's Hope and In Name Only. I had read gushing reviews of those books from other Catholic bloggers and, to put it simply, I didn't share those gushing opinions, and wanted to make sure she knew it before she sent me a review copy.

So, what about this one? Well, for one thing, I don't read many thrillers, and that's what this is. When I do read thrillers, they tend t
Melanie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
All Jenny Callahan wants is one more baby to hold in her arms. And now, after suffering three miscarriages, Jenny and her husband, Tom, are expecting their sixth child.

Denise Kramer, their neighbor, wants a child herself. Since she's unable to conceive and the adoption agency won't allow her to adopt a child, Denise devises a plan to finally get a child - putting Jenny and her unborn baby in danger and fighting for their lives.

The main characters in 'Stealing Jenny' are Catholics, and since I'm
Sue
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-drama
I received a free Kindle copy of "Stealing Jenny" from Goodreads Giveaway author Ellen Gable. Stealing Jenny by Ellen Gable is a terrifyingly realistic suspense story,but it’s also a beautiful life-affirming novel that offers so much more.I couldn't put this book down.

Annmarie
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't read this genre, but I am so glad I picked up Stealing Jenny by Ellen Gable! The main characters, Jenny and Tom, are so real. It was easy to become immediately drawn into their lives. Ellen Gable does a good job of painting a portrait of a devout Catholic family,warts and all. These are average people who struggle with their faith...sometimes they lose and sometimes they win. I enjoyed the fact that the story incorporated Church teaching on fertility in a way that was natural and ...more
Jamie Bentz
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yes, Gable's 'Stealing Jenny' is certainly a work of suspense...but it is so much more than that. It is an edge-of-your-seat story of perseverance, faith and a love that withstands the test of the unthinkable. Ellen has created believable characters and a plot that is sure to captivate readers by pulling at heart strings all while testing a tolerance for some thrilling suspense.
At the heart of Ellen's characters lies a depth that is sure to be understood by any Christian who has been tested w
Ruth
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Was one of the best reading books I have read in a long time! It was difficult putting it down. A book packed full of suspence, faith and heartache. If I could rate it higher then 5 I would give it a 9!
Received this as a winner here on Goodreads and now I must read more of Ellen Gable's books.
Shelly Hochdorf
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Was a very good book. I did not want to put it down.
Ginger
This was a quick read but I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't hate the book, but I didn't really like it either. Just can't put my finger on it. Seemed to be lacking something. Felt unbelievable to me and the ending too rushed.
Amanda Lauer
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stealing Jenny is a relatively quick read that starts out fast and keeps you engaged the entire book. I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by Ellen Gable. This book is one of her earlier ones, she's been honing her craft through the years. If you like suspense stories, you'll enjoy this!
Leslea Wahl
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-fun
Ellen Gable is such a talented writer. Stealing Jenny is extremely gripping and hard to put down.
Demi (Breaking Bookshelves)
3.5 Stars.
More @ Breaking Bookshelves

Ellen Gable’s Stealing Jenny was incredibly hard to put down. It was a quick read once you really settled into it. I don’t know what it is, but there’s no words that come to mind right now about this book. I like the novel, but I don’t have much to say about it. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing, or a good thing. I’ve been sitting in front of my computer screen trying somehow to put my thoughts in order (albeit not very well) and figure out how I should word
Renee
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can't remember what online contest I entered but I won a free copy of Stealing Jenny and am ever so glad I did. It's an excellent book and one I couldn't put down on this cold dreary afternoon. Ellen Gable's writing has improved since her last book Emily's Hope

Stealing Jenny is the story of two women - Jenny, a pregnant woman, happily married with children and Denise, a divorced woman, unable to have children due to scarred fallopian tubes. The book is a crime drama/thriller and it kept my at
Jeffrey Hite
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that when I first started reading this book I was not sure I would like it. I have a very soft spot kids and especially babies. The thought of something bad happening was not appealing to me. But I found that once I had started reading I could not put It down.

The book was well written, and the characters we all very real. One thing that I have noticed about many “Christian” books the Christian aspects over whelm the story. This is not the case with Stealing Jenny, the the Christi
J.S. Bailey
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stealing Jenny is an interesting novel that hit close to home for me in some ways. Jenny Callahan is nearly due to give birth to her sixth child after suffering three consecutive miscarriages, when a mentally unstable woman--Denise Kramer--kidnaps her with plans to steal the baby and leave Jenny for dead. You have to feel a little sorry for Denise because of her infertility and troubled past. Despite that, her character gave me the creeps as she showed no remorse in what she did to Jenny.

I thoug
Barbara Hosbach
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for an absorbing suspense novel with a message
Stealing Jenny, a compelling suspense novel, skillfully explores the challenge of facing horrific circumstances while hanging on to faith and hope. Author Ellen Gable draws us deeper and deeper into the drama of a loving family from a quiet neighborhood whose peaceful lives are shattered when a menace hits close to home. As events escalate, the characters struggle to cope while hanging on to faith. Gable has a knack for unveiling true-to-life human reactions when surreal threat meets ordinary li ...more
TinaB
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Stealing Jenny had an awesome concept, the story itself was riveting and somewhat scary in a scenario that could actually happen in the real world. However delivery was a nightmare, the transitions were awkward, the story moved way too fast to truly develop any character depth, the dialog was stilted and the writing lacked rhythm, or how do I say that feeling that eases you into a story and guides the reader into the authors world?

It could have been an unbelievable story had the book gone throug
Audrey
Yikes! What a gripping story. Jenny is a happy mother who is expecting her sixth baby. After three miscarriages she is excited about the new little one. Unfortunately she has a medical condition that if she gives birth naturally she and the baby could die. A week before her scheduled C-section she is kidnapped by another woman is mentally deranged. Denise is unable to have children and is determined to take Jenny's baby as her own. What follows is an intense story of the search for Jenny and the ...more
Kathryn
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The story and plot were good; but I didn't find the characters likeable. At all. I actually felt most connected to the "bad guy" -- Denise. To me, Jenny and Tom were extremely whiny (Jenny more so than Tom) and by the end, I was rooting for Denise (sad but true). I have a hard time with families with tons of kids, but I decided to see if maybe she had a good reason for wanting another child. In my opinion, (like Denise) I thought her reasoning was lame and not well laid out.

Other than that and s
Kaye Hinckley
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ellen Gable pursues a distinct market of already committed Catholics interested in the family life of Catholics. In that pursuit, she does a fine job, and "Stealing Jenny" is an example. I found the book warm and loving, especially Jenny's relationship with her husband, Tom, who respects his wife first as a woman, and then in her role as a mother. There is a strong contrast in the book between Jenny and her female kidnapper, one that Gable plays up. The book also has a nicely paced element of su ...more
KyBunnies
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Crime Readers
Recommended to KyBunnies by: Ellen Gable
This was a wonderful story. The author has well developed characters with an interesting plot. II know this is a fiction book but I wonder how many times a crime like this has happened in real-life? This book is a nice, clean, no bad language, no sex book. This book was so great that I was sitting at work last night reading it. The author Ms. Ellen Gable sent me a free copy. Thanks for a wonderful read Ms Gable.
Julie
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Quick read but enjoyable. The story could have been expanded by another 50 pages or so to add more detail. The investigation didn't mention really checking with neighbors or anything which seemed like a pretty critical step. I'm glad even though it was "Christian fiction" it was not overly religious.
Cynthia
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A suspenseful story of the kidnapping of a pregnant woman about to give birth. The victim is a married Catholic Canadian with five children who becomes the object of envy for a woman unable to have a child. There's an interesting connection between the two, as well as between the victim and one of the law enforcement authorities in the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• In Her Way
  • Let It Be
  • Total F*cking Godhead: The Biography of Chris Cornell
  • Rachel's Folly
  • That Secret Crush (Getting Lucky, #3)
  • The Pope's Suicide
  • Death by a Honeybee (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #1)
  • That Forever Girl (Getting Lucky, #2)
  • Finding Peace (Love's Compass #1)
  • Death by Drowning (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries #2)
  • Death by Bridle (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #3)
  • Death By Bourbon (Josiah Reynolds Mystery, #4)
  • The Shop on Main (Comfort Crossing #1)
Ellen Gable (Hrkach) is an award-winning, bestselling author of eleven books, contributor to numerous others, and publisher/editor of 27 other books. Five of her novels have been #1 on Amazon Kindle's Religious Drama category and three have been #1 in Religious Fiction. Her novel, Stealing Jenny, is a contemporary suspense novel that spent two years in the top ten of Religious Fiction. Four of her ...more

News & Interviews