Start by marking “The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)

The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Rose McQuinn returns to Edinburgh from the American wild west of 1895. Her baby has died while her husband Danny, working with the Pinkerton’s Detective Agency in Arizona goes missing. She has little time to grieve before she unwittingly takes on a new career by agreeing to investigate the strange behaviour of the husband of her childhood friend Alice. But what appears to ...more
Published December 9th 2013 (first published July 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Inspector's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inspector's Daughter

Elaine Tomasso
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel by Ms Knight I have read. It is a pleasant read with enough going on to keep you turning the pages, but easy enough to follow without overtaxing the brain. Set in the 1890s it follows the return of recently widowed Rose McQuinn to Edinburgh from the wilds of Dakota, her chance meeting with old friend Alice and Alice's demand that Rose use her deductive skills to investigate her husband's recent strange behaviour.
I don't think that Ms Knight really captures Victorian socie
Deanne
A good start with much of the book taken up with providing background to Rose's life, her experiences, her family etc.
There's the advantage of setting the book in Edinburgh, a place I want to visit, it's where my parents met. Love history and it's got lots of that.
Going to have to arrange a trip there.
Diane Clavette
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Great for bedtime reading.
Andrea
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland, mystery
3.5 stars. This author was pointed out to me at the Bloody Scotland book conference in Stirling, described as the doyenne of Scottish mystery writers, author of many cozies. The description of the author inspired me to pick up this book, the first in a series about Rose McQuinn. And sure enough, I really enjoyed this somewhat old-fashioned story about a woman returning home to Edinburgh after losing her husband and baby son in the Wild West of the 1890s. Rose has inherited a home near Holyrood H ...more
Cath
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally read the first one in the series which has helped retrospectively to set the scene. Good read and a fairly pleasant way to to pass the time!

Rose returns home to Scotland after 10 years to discover how Edinburgh has been developed and society is moving on from the 19th century. This book sets the scene for how Rose becomes an investigator and starts life again after losing her husband and child.
C.L.
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book . One of those English mysteries I just couldn't put down. Apparently from what I can tell not published in the states so it has been hard to find others by this writer. I've found several at used bookstores though.
Scott
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Inspector Faro series. This one about his daughter and her detecting abilities is excellent as well. Alanna knight is a wonderful author. I have yet to find anything she has written that I have not thoroughly enjoyed.
Martina Lennon
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I really enjoyed this new to me series. Incredibly easy to read. You never know what browsing your local library shelves does for your reading. By the way no I did not read this on a Kindle, just that goodreads did not have a hardback listing.
Ellen
Rose McQuinn #1
Daniel Vawser
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rose McQuinn

Excellent book. I had a hard time putting it down. A good mix of mystery, suspense, romance, and culture. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Janet
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I continue to enjoy Alams Knight books. So well written.
Little Red Readinghood
Good solid book about the daughter of an inspector featured in another series by the same author.
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very good, managed to finish tough.
Little Red Readinghood
Definitely will continue with the series. Nice background set up. Logical mystery. Setting Queen Victoria era in Edinburgh Rose is forward thinking but not too modern in her outlook.
Linda Owen
Sweet, not too violent, main character is somewhat anachronistic, but it was an enjoyable bedtime read.
Kt.
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of this series. Easy to follow. Like able characters. Good setting.
Michele bookloverforever
I prefer this series to the one featuring her father. it's very atmospheric. a bit eerie and sad.
Joyce Morgan
Feb 09, 2017
Patricia B. McNulty
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Daughters of Gentlemen (Frances Doughty #2)
  • The Broken Token
  • Shadow of the Serpent (Inspector McLevy, #1)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • What Alice Knew: A Most Curious Tale of Henry James & Jack the Ripper
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • Midnight Fires (Mary Wollstonecraft, #1)
  • A Trust Betrayed (Margaret Kerr, #1)
  • The New Magdalen
  • A Most Dangerous Woman (Sarah Tanner, #1)
  • My Particular Friend (A Charlotte House Affair, #1)
  • Death In Lacquer Red (Hilda Johansson, #1)
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)
aka Margaret Hope

Alanna Knight MBE has published more than sixty novels (including sixteen in the acclaimed Inspector Faro series, and seven featuring his daughter Rose McQuinn), as well as non-fiction, true crime and several books on Robert Louis Stevenson, numerous short stories and two plays since her award-winning first book ‘Legend of the Loch’ in 1969. A founding member and Honorary Presiden
More about Alanna Knight...

Rose McQuinn (8 books)
  • Dangerous Pursuits (Rose McQuinn, #2)
  • An Orkney Murder (Rose McQuinn, #3)
  • Ghost Walk (Rose McQuinn, #4)
  • Destroying Angel (Rose McQuinn, #5)
  • Quest for a Killer (Rose McQuinn, #6)
  • Deadly Legacy
  • The Balmoral Incident (Rose McQuinn, #8)