Start by marking “Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved” as Want to Read:
Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved

Read Book* *Different edition

Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A beautiful woman, a life changed by tragedy, driven into sin, condemned and rejected by her own people, a slave to despair, and desperate for love. She saw a light, reached out and touched it, and her life was changed forever. A Roman soldier possessed with power finds a calling in the caves of Mithra. Chosen by dark forces to do their bidding, he loses himself in hatred. ...more
Published (first published January 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Magdalene

booklady
Mary Magdalene or Mary of Magdala and sometimes The Magdalene is one of my favorite characters from the Bible. Her conversion story—testimony to the mercy of God—encourages me more than any other. Not only was she forgiven but she was also accorded the supreme honor of being the first (known) witness to Christ’s Resurrection. Steve Copland’s Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved is a fictional recounting of the familiar story of Mary’s life from prostitute to Pentecost. Copland offsets Mary’s story ...more
Caedy  Eries
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mary is a woman, scorned and damned by her actions. She was the defiler of marriages, she was unclean, unholy, a leper without the visible signs of disease that identified. Her mind was at war with itself, good with evil wound within thoughts of self despair and self loathing.

The book is uniquely written and its focus tends to drift off the focus of the main character and focus on a different variety of many characters that we know from the biblical stories of Jesus. John the Baptist, Herod and
Abbie Winters
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
I am a lover of historical fiction, especially bible-based. This novel touched me like no other. Mary Magdalene has been a topic of defamation in the past few years with various authors, but Steve Copland's novel keeps to the bible's account and shows the beautiful story of how a woman driven to despair finds freedom, love and acceptance as a disciple of Jesus.

The novel moves through many of the well-known characters of the bible, those stories of lepers and blind men whose names are n
Steve Copland
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My apologies to all those who read the unedited version of Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved. Long story short, it was not suppose to be published in that condition. It has been proofread now and hopefully 99% of the mistakes have been corrected.

This is a 'like or hate it' kind of book. For those who have decided that Mary Magdalene was something akin to the mythical character of Dan Brown's novel, my novel will be like a red rag to a bull. However, if you believe the Gospels to be accurate acco
Vanessa
I really enjoyed reading this e-book. I do not consider myself a Bible scholar, but I am somewhat familiar with the story of Mary of Magdalene. She was the woman in the Bible who washed Jesus's feet with her hair and poured the expensive oil on His head. In modern terms, she was a reformed prostitute. This story is a fictional account that includes Mary's meeting of Jesus, her reformation, and Jesus's crucifixion. I like how the author took well known stories from the Bible and retold them in a ...more
Kjanell
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have words to describe how deeply this story touched me. Aside from the Bible, I don't remember ever reading anything that has reached into my innermost being as much as this story has. I LOVE this book. An inspiring and touching 'conglomeration' of stories & characters that all converge to tell the story of Jesus' ministry and the lives he touched. I know this book is fiction, but it really gives voice to some of the stories from the Bible. I just love it!
Anne Peters
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 18 moths ago and the punctuation did bother me a little, so I appreciated the author's note. As he states, its a 'like it or hate it' novel, as many of the reviews show.

I am in the 'absolutely loved it' category. Copland contrasts the story of two Roman soldiers seeking spiritual power and truth through mithraism, with Mary's story of spiritual freedom. The soldiers are drawn into a demonic cult and become slaves to the power of unclean spirits, while Mary finds forgivene
Becky
Jan 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I started reading this book because of a fascination I have with the story of Mary Magdalene and the idea that she escaped to France and bore the children of Christ...yadda yadda yadda. I don't need to go into all that here, you have Google, use it. The book started off all right, bad editing aside. The character development was interesting and the overlapping plot lines were enough to keep my curiosity piqued for awhile.
A few chapters in I began to find it harder and harder to read the book ob
Marnie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I am not one to get into religious books, but this one I was just captivated. A bit on the heavy read side, but glad I took the time to read. While this novel is about Mary Magdalene it is also the path of Jesus to his crucifixion. It is by far not a happy novel per se, but one that touches the heart.
Cherise
I'd give this book 4 stars if it weren't so badly edited. A small amount of time with a person would have fixed many obvious errors caused by spellcheck. That said, the story is compelling, complex, historically detailed, and emotionally powerful. It deserved a far more careful edit than it received. Highly recommended.
Maryellen
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good story! This was the bible story of mary magdalene who although she did bad things she was forgiven by jesus and felt true love.
Tuanna
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
So realistic I felt as if I was there. I could see everything she saw and felt as though it was happening to me. Very well written. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves Jesus and wants to read more about the people around Him.
Cathy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read, own
Gave me a clearer meaning to what part Mary Magdalene in reference of her leaving her sinning life to follow Jesus. Very good book!
Sara Smith
I think this book's title is misleading because the story is split equally between many characters and is not focused on Mary as much as I thought it would be.
Sharon
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off maybe a little slow but couldn't put it down by the end.
Callie Mcgonegal
love the story
Leslie
Aug 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody!
This book suffers from all the problems facing Christ centered novels without any of the redeming qualities. It is trite and over written. Instead of focusing on Mary and her journey the author got so excited about the miracles of Christ that he lost sight of his heroine. There are too many characters making the story seem broken up and over done. Copland spends so much time building the background of the story (historical setting, religious background, geographical insights) that his characters ...more
Denise Barney
This book needed a good editor and a good proof-reader. the bookstarted as a retelling of Mary Magdalene and the last year of Jesus' life, death, and Resurrection. Mr. Copeland did a lot.of research into the Roman era; unfortunately, he tried to cram it all in and loses his focus.

A bit maudlin and the characters could have used more fleshing out.

Not bad, a fairly quck read, but not something I would have paid for.
Janeice
Sep 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book, to many different people and you had a hard time keeping track of who is who. It just didn't flow right to me. The idea behind it was good and it brought a lot of good points as far as being saved and how to deal with demons and power of Jesus name. I just couldn't get the whole story with so many different chaacters. Would not recommend.
Cathy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
A story of Mary in the lead-up to her conversion. Some very moving parts. Introduces several other actors on the stage of history.
The story ends just before Jesus is arrested. Really felt like there should be another book to follow. Will have to check it out.
Samantha Clysdale
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed that this book was not just Mary Magdalene. However it had a game of thrones expected to the book. Told through many other people.

I really enjoyed the book. I will be looking forward to more in this series.

S Hinchcliffe
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no
I found this extremely difficult to start. Several starts and lengthy stops. Finally finished.

Found the ending to be extremely disappointing. Too contrived, and no finishing to the depth that had been developed within the middle.

Julieann
At almost 900 pages, this is a long book. In addition to the story of Mary Magdalene, it includes several side stories most which fold back into the main character's story. However, these make the book extremely long. A little more focus on Mary would have improved this book.
Marym
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
Didn't care for it. It stopped being about Mary Magdalene and was more about some Roman soldiers and the devil.
Amyjo
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and some good writing, but at times it felt contrived with too many characters which were never fully developed.
Amanda
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I am torn about this book. The writing would be great for pre-teen and up, but the emotions it evoked brings my rating up a bit. An FYI, we know what happens at the end.
Lisa
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually a very nice view of the infamous story. Althougg the grammar should have been double checked it does not make the book bad. I enjoyed this!
Linda
I bit disjointed but liked the historical fill in, with details of the Roman soldiers perspective and the Jewish culture. Disappointed where it ended and feel the title was misleading.
Sandra Gilbert
It ended rather abruptly. But in thinking about it, the ending made sense.
K. Anna Hardy
I've arranged my thoughts on this. . .slightly fanfiction-reminiscent novel into a haiku:

"While not without lure,
The only story ended
We already knew."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Is the book finished......? 3 9 Oct 25, 2013 02:14PM
  • Journal of a Cavalry Bugler
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • From the Ashes
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Puppy Dog Tales
  • Weeping Willow - Part One (Weeping Willow, #1)
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Pride and Prejudice: The Wild and Wanton Edition
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • Life Blood
I was born into what seemed like a tribe rather than a normal family, having seven siblings. In my early years until the age of eight my family moved around New Zealand as my father was a full-time Baptist pastor. I found it difficult to accept Christianity. At thirteen I joined a heavy rock band and started learning martial arts. A deep interest in philosophy saw me reading books from my father's ...more
More about Steve Copland

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)