Start by marking “Boys Don't Cry” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Boys Don't Cry

Malorie Blackman

Boys Don't Cry (Boys Don't Cry #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  6,410 Ratings  ·  554 Reviews
This is the explosively page-turning new novel for teenagers from the author of the award-winning "Noughts and Crosses" sequence. You're about to receive your A-level results and then a future of university and journalism awaits. But the day they're due to arrive your old girlfriend Kendra turns up unexpectedly ...with a baby ...You assume Kendra's helping a friend, until ...more
271 pages
Published 2011 by Galaxy Plus (first published October 1st 2010)

Jo
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Amy (Turn the Page)
“How could ten forgettable minutes of not much turn both our lives inside out and upside down like this?”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Yay!

High Points.
Dante. Adam and his story. Let’s hear it for the boys! Daddies. Different perspectives. Acceptance. Sleepless nights. Walks in the park. Taking responsibilities. Hiccupping hearts. ”Just bringing up wind.”. Living life out loud.

Low Points.
I would really have loved to see more of the social implications that Dante faced. What was covered- his fri
Liz* Fashionably Late
My sister is reading this.
If I find sexy time scenes here, she's gonna hear it from me...

Aly (Fantasy4eva)
After reading NOUGHTS AND CROSSES, the author quickly became one for me to look out for. So I was thrilled to receive this book.

It was freaking awesome.

Just imagine. A 17 year old boy (Dante) that has his life all planned out. He is just about to receive his A Level results and is well on his way to University to study Journalism. But then your ex girlfriend pops up. She has a baby. She claims this baby is your baby. Goes out for a few minutes, promising to return. She never comes back.

I was a l
Ana Banda
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PRECIOSO! :)
Wow! cuando leí la sinopsis esperaba a un tipo de 30 años mujeriego pero ¡Oh Sorpresa! Nada que ver!
Dante representa al típico chavo que no tiene idea sobre lo que implica ser papá y que en el día a día con su bebé van dándose cuenta de lo maravilloso que es! Me encantó la forma en la que se volvio gracias a Emma; más maduro; un hombre real!
Adam mi vida; no es el único que ha pasado por esas cosas! ): Malditos ignorantes -.-
Emma es una belleza de niña! amé cuando ya hablaba :3 aw qu
Yousra & Books
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sooooo gooooood!!!

Review to come...
Laura V.
"A veces las cosas que estás seguro de no querer se convierten en las que más necesitas en este mundo."

A veces, MUY de vez en cuando, me gusta leer este tipo de novelas para recordarme que no siempre hay finales felices con lluvia de arcoiris y ponis voladores.

"¿Pensaba que miraría hacia abajo y decidiría que mover un tirón de hamburguesas para el resto de mi vida sería un pequeño precio que debía pagar por tener esta cosa en mi vida? ¿Pensó que el que yo la sostuviera en mis brazos iba a h
Istefani Marcos
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Adorável!
Estou tão apaixonada pelo livro que o que mais quero agora é abraçar todos os personagens, principalmente o papai Dante.
O plot do livro é muito diferente, nunca havia lido nada igual. Geralmente o que a gente tem nesse universo literário é o cara dando no pé e deixando a mocinha com um filho para criar. Aqui temos a situação contrária. O Dante, aos 17 anos, fica responsável pela filha, já que a mãe da bebê some.
Gostei muito mesmo do livro, foi incrível ver a transformação do Dante de a
Anna
What an amazing read! I still can't keep my mind out of it.

I am still bemused that as much as I want to tell the tale I'll try to keep it super vague and not let you miss all the action.

BOYS DON'T CRY is, as the last time I checked, the first book I read about young, single parent/s. Dante is just your 17-year-old dreamer, achiever, and typical teenager who parties and went out with friends. But then in the middle of the biggest moment he's been waiting to turn up in life, he was startled to k
Zorana
This is EXACTLY the book I needed after Mockingjay!!!

It was SO GOOD! You clearly need to read it guys. Boys and girls.
It's a pretty light written contemporary but dealing with hard themes which is amazing.
Malorie Blackman is so talented and funny this was just a great read!

It's written in Dante and Adam's point of view (more of Dante's). They are brothers, and the story begins with Dante waiting for the mailguy to come and give him his uni admission letter,and once the bell rings he opens the do
julieta

It was sweet book, much better than the other book I had read by Malorie Blackman which I had some issues with.
I liked that we had Adam's POV and his story because otherwise the book would have been much groomier. Although Adam was a "happy" character and then all this shit happenned to him but Dante's POV got a bit brighter as he got to get comfortable with the situation.
I was expecting a big dramatic ending where Melanie comes back and they decide Emma's future but this was was open ending th
Amy (Turn the Page)
I am a huge fan of Malorie Blackman and advocator of her work ever since I first read Noughts and Crosses many years ago. Not only does Blackman create extremely well written books with relatable characters, but she also tackles difficult, sometimes controversial, subjects for YA literature, in an honest and thought provoking way. Boy’s Don’t Cry is a powerful and unexpected novel. I couldn’t put it down and ended up reading through until 5 in the morning, and then I couldn’t sleep for thinking ...more
Dante is just seventeen years old and is anxiously waiting for his A level results to see if he can get a place at university to study journalism. He is an intelligent young man - proven by the fact that he has taken his A levels a year early - and he is looking forward to a glittering future. Everything changes the day his results arrive, but not in the way he was expecting. When his ex-girlfriend turns up out of the blue with a pushchair he is shocked and horrified - especially when she tells ...more
James
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst primarily a novel aimed squarely at the 'young adult' market - as with all good books, this transcends the confines and limitations of that genre.

Ostensibly a simple, straightforward and unsurprising coming of age story of contemporary family life and dynamics - this is powerfully, emotionally and movingly told.

The standard of writing and the quality of characterisation ensure that this story avoids becoming what could so easily have been a two dimensional, patronising and stereotypical t
Tara
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*****SPOILERS*****
I really don't get what Blackman was getting at with this book. She starts well, illustrating the issues faced by Dante as he's thrown into the world of being a single teenage dad and showing how he learns to cope with it... but that's it as far as that part of the book goes.

The latter third or so if the book is preoccupied with his brother Adam and homophobia. Did Blackman start writing one book and then decide halfway through she was out of ideas so let's just entirely change
Jane Branson
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent. As you would expect from Malorie Blackman: a pacy, intelligent, emotionally-charged, contemporary coming-of-age story, which focuses on young and unwanted fatherhood but also deals with issues around sexuality, bereavement, family and relationships. Maybe it's a tad predictable - but even while Blackman is presenting harsh realities she is sensitive to young readers' needs, and the sentimentality is woven with a couple of loose threads left for tying up later. Indeed, there is ...more
Liam Owens
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masculinity, lgbt
I read this book as I'm researching how modern masculinity is represented in contemporary teen fiction as part of my Masters degree in Children's Literature. This is the first book I've read by Malorie Blackman, though I had pretty high expectations as I know she's a celebrated author who has received considerable recognition for her contributions to children's fiction.

In short, I thought this was a fantastic book. Teenage pregnancy isn't exactly a new topic in YA, but the decision to approach t
Dwayne
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

There is no one word that can describe just how good of a read Boys Don't Cry is. This book is one of the few that should be read by every teenage boy in the world - it's packed with life's lessons and I'm sure I'm not the only one who says that this book is a thought-provoking and a reflective read.

When Dante Bridgeman finds the biggest surprise in his life lying in a baby buggy, to say that his life is turned upside down is an understatement. Suddenly, he i
Alice Radwell
This novel caught my interest because I thought I was in for a unique read on the overworked teenage-parent theme, and in some ways I wasn't wrong. Emotionally charged and morally engaging, the story takes us on a journey not only of unexpected fatherhood, but of the whirlwind of family in all it's colours and shapes. Dante, our protagonist, takes to sudden parenthood like a bird to the ocean, and his initial reactions and reasonings are easy to relate to. It was a nice change to witness the fat ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
BOYS DON'T CRY by Malorie Blackman is an emotionally charged story about love and family and the different shapes they sometimes take. This book is one you won't want to miss.

Dante is anxiously awaiting his A Level exam results. He is proud of himself for taking the exams a year early, and he's eager to know if his scores will have him headed to university in the near future. But when a knock at the door brings his old girlfriend and not the postman, Dante is in for the surprise of his life.

Mela
Rosa
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Muy lindo, muy emotivo, llore en muchos puntos y no lo pude evitar.

Podria darle las 5 estrellas pero no se porque no lo hago, me ha gustado bastante.

Emma unio a toda la familia :) más que una carga fue un alivio y alegria para todos, y Dante maduro, si talvez ya era mayor y bastante responsable, pero aprendio a ver todo de diferentes perspectivas y maduro de una buena manera. Uno pensaria que porque los padres son mayores no se preocupan o no batallan, pero es igual que si fuerann un joven inexp
Sonia
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recensione completa: http://awesomebookshelf.altervista.or...

Libro molto carino, che si legge in breve tempo. La trama, abbastanza originale – ammettiamolo è raro che la mamma scappi e lasci il bambino al padre teeneger! – è sviluppata in modo realistico dall’autrice. Dante, il protagonista, non prova un immediato senza paterno, anzi inizialmente cerca in ogni modo di liberarsi di “the thing“, come lui la chiama. H0 apprezzato tantissimo la graduale maturazione di Dante, che col tempo imparerà a
Abida
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart wrenching story, absolutely loved it.
Kerry Leonard
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Malorie Blackman book I have read. I don't know what stopped me before but it will not the last book of hers which I will read. The characters in this book had a particular depth to them, they felt so real and I only wish I knew what happened to Emma as I felt as though I was watching her grow up throughout the novel.
Irene
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uff. No sé por qué hay libros con los que me tardó mucho tiempo en leer. Éste fue uno de esos. Adam me divirtió con su actitud; y el libro fue curioso. La opinión de Dante de los bebés -al principio- me recordó a la de muchos chicos que conozco; y su cambio de actitud conforme a su hija, se me hizo dulce. El libro es bonito, pero no de la manera profunda que esperaba.
Anna
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book :) I read it the night before GCSE results and definitely helped to distract me from nerves...I love Dante, and Emma :') a solid 4.5.
Dani (Pen to Paper)
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
Really loved this! Why did it take me so long to pick it up?

Full review coming soon.
15HillG
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because it started off a bit confusing but then all the secrets unfold and you discover about pasts and presents. It gets less confusing the further you get and it makes you want to read on and on and you never want to put the book down.
Violante
Decepción. Continuación de malas lecturas.

Esperaba otra cosa, la sinopsis prometía otra cosa; una historia conmovedora, divertida, sobre el crecimiento de un adolescente que de repente tiene que dejar ir todas sus metas para poder cuidar de su recién descubierta hija. El paso diario, las situaciones divertidas y terribles que te lleva un niño cada día, tensión, miedos, ganas de gritarle al mundo, amor, esperanza, alegría.

¿Y qué es lo que tuve? Nada. Literalmente nada. No pasa absolutamente nad
Carly
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Well I have to be honest right now and confess that Boys Don't Cry is the first Malorie Blackman novel I've ever read. I know - scandalous. I've heard nothing but amazing things about her books and, on Tinie Tempah's recommendation I'm now definitely a member of the fan club. Boys Don't Cry is an absolutely fantastic story about love, growing up and accepting who you are.

I think it's one of the most incredibly diverse novels I've read for a very long time. My case in point - after I finished the
Jodie (Books for Company)
Ok l want to start this review by saying there isn't anything really terrible with this book, there just isn't anything amazing and at no point was l struggling to put this down. It's just not that sort of book and after the blurb you kind of expect a bit more than what you get! Saying that I am glad l have read this but can't help feeling if l read it a few years back when l was younger (l am 18) then l would of enjoyed this even more.
The writing isn't amaz
Boys Don't Cry (And Other Malorie Blackman) 8 21 Feb 15, 2017 02:50PM
Boys Don't Cry (And Other Malorie Blackman) 1 5 Apr 12, 2012 01:18AM
  • Being Billy
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Blood Ties (Blood Ties, #1)
  • Naked
  • Nobody's Girl
  • Secrets, Lies and Locker 62
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • Della Says: OMG!
  • Running in Heels
  • Dear Dylan
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Everybody Jam
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
Myspace
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box
More about Malorie Blackman...

Boys Don't Cry (2 books)
  • Chasing the Stars

“Don't you know that boys don't cry?' Adam grinned.
'Shall I tell you something I've only recently discovered,' I replied, not attempting to hide the tears rolling down my face and not the least bit ashamed of them. 'Boys don't cry, but real men do.”
78 likes
“The point is, you have family and friends who love you. You have a world out there just waiting for you to conquer it. You have a life that will be anything you make it. That's the point.” 37 likes