Start by marking “El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)” as Want to Read:
El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)

El Héroe: Libro 1

(El Héroe #1)

Los mitos heroicos tienen algo que nos atrapa. Sus héroes resuelven con valor los grandes peligros a los que se enfrentan, pero la batalla del héroe es ante todo un viaje iniciático para comprenderse a sí mismo. La batalla de los héroes es un reflejo de las inquietudes humanas. Nos sirven para comprender el comportamiento humano.
Prudencia, capacidad de renovación, honestid
Published April 2011 by Astiberri Ediciones (first published February 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about El Héroe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Héroe

Cheese
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No real substance and some confusing spins on the character. Not ideal.
Stewart Tame
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Why have I not heard of David Rubin before? He draws like a cross between Mark Hempel and Paul Pope. It's gorgeous! He has a wonderfully expressive line that makes his characters look cartoony, but not too much so. And the story! So what we have is a loose adaptation of the story of Hercules, set more or less in a fantasy riff on the present day. It's interesting to compare this to O-DY-C (or however it's spelled), the series that Matt Fraction did adapting the Odyssey into a ...more
Marc Pastor
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mare de Zeus Senyor, quin prodigi.
Peter Derk
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit, what a blast!

Picked it up because the artwork is so good. Very alive, colorful, and when you've got a book with action like this, you need something that feels like it's moving. This book totally fits the bill.

And it's a really successful mash-up of an old story with some modern technology thrown in. Take the story of Heracles, add a Wonder Woman, toss in a couple motorcycles, and you've got something pretty sweet.

What I like about the mash-up is that it's not something like a real fi
Don Witzel
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very good take on Heracles. Artwork is amazing. Story is nothing new but well executed.I had trouble putting book down. Some surprise cameos. I ordered Vol 2 already. *Mature readers*
Samantha Beard
3.5 stars for The Hero. I really like this examination of Heracles' motivation. The inclusion of DC characters is interesting. It gives the reader a framework for how to view those characters and plot points. Looking forward to book 2!
Relstuart
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-horse, myth
A retelling of the myth. Interesting in that it's almost a what if Loki were the favored son and Thor was always trying to earn Loki's favor, something he could never give? Here Hera hates Hercules and tries the get the older son to make him do harder and harder tasks until one of them kills him. Hercules keeps on doing good and becoming more and more the hero because of this dynamic.

Not for kids. I like the art, it's a little cartoonish but the layouts are great.
Elle Kay
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I really wanted to like this book more but I'm thinking it has too many flaws to raise it above an average read at best. The artwork is some of the best in this genre that I have seen and the mash-up of ancient Greece and modern living is highly original and enjoyable. I just felt that it allowed the story to become confused in places and the background of Heracles, Eurystheus and some of the other minor characters was left open and I guess the author expected the reader to already know this tal ...more
Robin Stevens
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you thought there was nothing new to do to myths ... This is a simply incredible reinterpretation of the legend of Hercules. It's extremely gory (I'm still reeling from some choice panels) and incredibly smart in its use of modern technology and superhero culture to tell a very old story. 16+ at least.

Camilo Guerra
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Es como tomar coca-cola en un día de mucha calor...sientes que te estalla, que te refresca, que la bendices.

Una historia solida,rápida y sin permisos, con un dibujo sumamente dinámico que nos muestra los mitos de Hercules con un prisma cargado de modernidad y promete una segunda parte mas oscura. Gran,Gran lectura. Lo pueden encontrar en LIBRERIA NACIONAL .
Andrea
"¿Qué engendro liberarás sobre el mundo el día que oda la basura que guardas en el corazón rompa los muros del héroe? ¿Quién va a salvar el mundo de ti, Heracles?"

Un repaso por la historia de Heracles mezclada con ciertos toques modernistas y hasta futuristas que aunque no deberían funcionar, acaban creando un producto final muy interesante. En cuanto al diseño, me gustó mucho el uso del color y la organización de los paneles. Sin embargo, si es cierto que al utilizar planos tan cortos en panele
Adriana
I love the art. It's colorful and dynamic and just cartoonish enough to add to the fun bits and keep the tragedies from being too dark.
The story is enjoyable but I worry that it got a little too summarized for those not wholly familiar with the myths. There are things behind the scenes and even in what's happening that need to be a little better explained to help make sense of things. Almost no character gets an introduction and some of them are major players in Heracles' story, enough that eve
Vittorio Rainone
E' la storia di Ercole ed Euristeo: uno destinato ad essere eroe, l'altro destinato ad essere sovrano malvagio perennemente in contrapposizione col primo. Il volume (e il successivo in preparazione) racconta le gesta dell'Eroe per antonomasia del mondo antico. Adottando un ritmo, una terminologia e immagini che attingono a piene mani a suggestioni moderne. Il risultato è una specie di manga / disney molto piacevole, con disegni che pur nella loro essenzialità sanno essere (grazie anche a un bell ...more
Litos
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
David Rubín usa la mitología griega clásica para hilar una pelea tras otra entre el protagonista y un montón de monstruos de curioso diseño, con un resultado un pelín plano y repetitivo. Aunque las secuencias de acción están bien planteadas, y el arte es indiscutiblemente bueno (y verlo en lápiz le da una calidad más cercana que en el resultado final), no dejo de pensar que funcionaría mejor con un buen guionista detrás.
Bee
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting retelling of the story of Hercules. Fun, bright illustrations and a strange mash-up of mythology and science fiction. It's an interesting lens to view the characters--it's gory and overly sexual, but that's pretty true to Greek myth. There's a weird circular thing where Artemis/Diana/Amazons---> inspires Wonderwoman ----->inspires this depiction of Artemis/Diana/Amazons.
M. Carmen C. González
Es una versión con ciertos elementos actuales de las hazañas del semidios Hércules, del que ya estoy algo cansada... No percibo que sobresalga nada de su historia, ni del dibujo, ni nada. He disfrutado leyéndolo, porque para pasar el rato es bastante aceptable. Pero no lo considero nada del otro mundo...
Jaime Guzman
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fresh take on the 12 labors of Hercules mixed in with just a bit of tech. The art work is fantastic with a great sense of motion in it's action scenes. There are some parts that caught me a bit off guard with it's sexual scenes. Just the art work alone was enough for me to get the book.
Scott Baker
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly addictive page-turner. If you like alternate takes on Greek mythology, this is for you! The art style is Paul Pope-esque and works well with the tweaked tale. Not your average swords and sorcery comic.
David Thomas
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic retelling of the labors of Heracles, sprinkled with anachronism. Like, he has a motorcycle and an ipod. The art is decent, but the story gets kind of monotonous. Eurystheus gives him a labor. Heracles overcomes the labor without much trouble. Rinse and repeat.
Kristina Feeney
I feel like some of this is what the Disney movie was going for?

It was fun. I lol'ed.

oh. also love the art. I think David Rubin maybe one of my favorite artists. he has like a gory style and find every excuse to use guts and nudity. it is amazing.
Tyler Kroon
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, graphic novel mashup of Greek mythology and modern elements, chronicling the stories of Heracles.
Jonathan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off as a great modern take on classic tales, but takes a turn in Book 2…
Sean
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting. I am not hugely fond of Rubín's style, but his pictures are clear and easy for me to read, which I appreciate. The mingling of ancient and modern feel was quite enjoyable
Ricardo Baptista
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Os heróis gregos têm destas coisas, são muito dados a longos poemas épicos com determinadas convenções: embates repetitivos com criaturas fantásticas e à vitória inevitável.
É engraçado que Herácles ou Hércules seja só lembrado pelos seus feitos e não pelos eventos que o marcam como herói trágico.
David Rubín explica-nos logo na primeira página ao que vem, uma criança (substituto do autor ou ele mesmo) lê um dos antigos comics de Jack Kirby e sonha com um dia fazer algo assim.
Esta é a carta de
Corey
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The labors of Hercules (or Heracles) is a story I've seen told in so many ways, and I want to love this retelling, but I couldn't. The liberties taken within the telling of each task hurt me the same way as a movie or tv series does when it veers too far from the story of a book. Key moments from the legends are changed or disregarded with no improvement on the original.

Now, before I make everyone who enjoyed this book angry, I realize the artist had a vision for this story and it was his prero
Oscar Salas
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fresco, algo irreverente (en verdad poco), ante todo apasionado, es el método (que no el estilo) con que Rubín reversiona de manera subjetiva el mito de Heracles.

Es sorprendente a veces, repetitivo en otras, algo laxo en su narrativa pero estimulante en el uso de la cinética en la puesta en página. Ciertamente, el modo de plasmar el movimiento está casi a niveles poéticos por momentos. Casi no hay tiempo para fijarse en el gutter.

Y por lo mismo, el equilibrio entre prosa e ilustración en este vo
Rodolfo Schmauk
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, ebook
Esperaba bastante más, considerando las reseñas que leí. El dibujo y la narración es dinámica, muy de "animación", pero la historia me pareció pobre. Es una enumeración de pruebas, y falta emoción al proceso de superarlas. Muchas incluso son casi un Deus ex Machina, pero sin siquiera aprovechar el hecho que en ese mundo los dioses sí pueden participar e incidir (por ejemplo en la prueba del ciervo, en la que Hércules realmente no hace nada para que pase lo que finalmente sucedió, fue una casuali ...more
Angel (LiaBooks)
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This graphic novel is beautiful drawn with pretty minimal story telling with words. Modern mixes with the expected Greek mythology in a bit of re-telling. Rubin does an amazing job weaving the story of Heracles, destined to be "The Hero," and his struggle through twelve seemingly impossible challenges. Born as a bastard child, he is at the whim of his brother, Eurystheus, who grows to become a cruel tyrant.

I was not expecting such a wonderful mix between modern (ex: buses, cell phones, magazine
Michael (Mai)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Why I read it:The number one reason why I picked it up is the art. Open to any page and bask in its beauty. The page I happened to turn to had a man (who turned out to be Hercules) in an Apollo clothing line ad. Myth combined with modern? Sign me up.

What I thought: Honestly, David Rubin could have told me anything with that sleek, clean art and I would have loved it. Barry Trotter, Harry Potter parody? Yeah. I still would have loved it.

David Rubin has such a unique and clean style. He uses a lot
Mouse
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially picked this up at the library because my kid loves the old Greek myths and so do I. I had it for several weeks before I really took a look at it and ruled that it wasn't for him. I also was a little 'turned off' by the art and thought about just taking it back to the library.

Well...I'm glad I didn't! It was a pleasant surprise and a very fun book!

I don't really understand the time-frame in the book, but it's mostly Heracles (Hercules) in modern times with cell phones, computers, cam
  • Las calles de arena
  • Le Goût du Chlore
  • Beowulf
  • Aama, 2: La multitud invisible (Aâma #2)
  • Notes for a War Story
  • L'età sottile
  • Beauty
  • Rosalie Blum 1
  • Il était une fois
  • Come prima
  • La page blanche
  • Change de camp (Joséphine, #3)
  • Nod Away, Vol. 1
  • Kobane Calling: Facce, parole e scarabocchi da Rebibbia al confine turco-siriano
  • Dieu en personne
  • Le petit livre des couleurs
Uno de los historietistas españoles más reconocidos en los últimos años (en España, pero también internacionalmente). Es co-fundador del colectivo Polaqia, formado por historietistas de Galicia. Durante sus primeros años como historietista,

El Héroe (2 books)
  • El Héroe: Libro 2  (El Héroe, #2)