Start by marking “El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)” as Want to Read:
El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)

El Héroe: Libro 1

(El Héroe #1)

Los mitos heroicos tienen algo que nos atrapa. Sus héroes resuelven con valor los grandes peligros a los que se enfrentan, pero la batalla del héroe es ante todo un viaje iniciático para comprenderse a sí mismo. La batalla de los héroes es un reflejo de las inquietudes humanas. Nos sirven para comprender el comportamiento humano.
Prudencia, capacidad de renovación, honestid
Published April 2011 by Astiberri Ediciones (first published February 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about El Héroe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Héroe

Start your review of El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)
Chad
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A retelling of the labors of Hercules, mashing up ancient Greece with the modern world. The book is a riot, non-stop action with dynamic art. Fans of Jeff Smith or Paul Pope will love this.
Cheese
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No real substance and some confusing spins on the character. Not ideal.
Stewart Tame
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Why have I not heard of David Rubin before? He draws like a cross between Mark Hempel and Paul Pope. It's gorgeous! He has a wonderfully expressive line that makes his characters look cartoony, but not too much so. And the story! So what we have is a loose adaptation of the story of Hercules, set more or less in a fantasy riff on the present day. It's interesting to compare this to O-DY-C (or however it's spelled), the series that Matt Fraction did adapting the Odyssey into a ...more
Don Witzel
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very good take on Heracles. Artwork is amazing. Story is nothing new but well executed.I had trouble putting book down. Some surprise cameos. I ordered Vol 2 already. *Mature readers*
Jakub Kvíz
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
David Rubín is reimagining the legend about Hercules and the Twelve Labors with a modern twist. While the story is still set in ancient Greece there is modern stuff like phones, iPods and motorbikes. And surprisingly it's working very well.

As a kid, I really loved the old Greek tales and I am enjoying the "post-modern" twist. My favorite part was Hercules putting David Bowie's Hero on his iPod before fighting one of the monsters.

Rubín's art is flawless as always. Dynamic sequences, vivid colors
Peter Derk
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit, what a blast!

Picked it up because the artwork is so good. Very alive, colorful, and when you've got a book with action like this, you need something that feels like it's moving. This book totally fits the bill.

And it's a really successful mash-up of an old story with some modern technology thrown in. Take the story of Heracles, add a Wonder Woman, toss in a couple motorcycles, and you've got something pretty sweet.

What I like about the mash-up is that it's not something like a real fi
Relstuart
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth, dark-horse
A retelling of the myth. Interesting in that it's almost a what if Loki were the favored son and Thor was always trying to earn Loki's favor, something he could never give? Here Hera hates Hercules and tries the get the older son to make him do harder and harder tasks until one of them kills him. Hercules keeps on doing good and becoming more and more the hero because of this dynamic.

Not for kids. I like the art, it's a little cartoonish but the layouts are great.
Samantha Beard
3.5 stars for The Hero. I really like this examination of Heracles' motivation. The inclusion of DC characters is interesting. It gives the reader a framework for how to view those characters and plot points. Looking forward to book 2!
Elle Kay
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I really wanted to like this book more but I'm thinking it has too many flaws to raise it above an average read at best. The artwork is some of the best in this genre that I have seen and the mash-up of ancient Greece and modern living is highly original and enjoyable. I just felt that it allowed the story to become confused in places and the background of Heracles, Eurystheus and some of the other minor characters was left open and I guess the author expected the reader to already know this tal ...more
Robin Stevens
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you thought there was nothing new to do to myths ... This is a simply incredible reinterpretation of the legend of Hercules. It's extremely gory (I'm still reeling from some choice panels) and incredibly smart in its use of modern technology and superhero culture to tell a very old story. 16+ at least.

Dax
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Are we the masters of our own universe or merely puppets of destiny? Fight, toil, and give them Hell! This is what I call a page turner full of remembered ideas revisited from a clever point of view. Truly beautiful.
Adriana
I love the art. It's colorful and dynamic and just cartoonish enough to add to the fun bits and keep the tragedies from being too dark.
The story is enjoyable but I worry that it got a little too summarized for those not wholly familiar with the myths. There are things behind the scenes and even in what's happening that need to be a little better explained to help make sense of things. Almost no character gets an introduction and some of them are major players in Heracles' story, enough that eve
Chad Cunningham
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just jaded. So many books are a three star experience for me.

This book is a retelling of the myths of Heracles in a modern setting. As a retelling it is mostly successful. The various labors are retold with a minor exploration of fate and celebrity. Heracles is a sympathetic if not overly engaging character.

The art is fun. Rubin draws in the style of Paul Pope and his artwork is well paced and his linework is assured.

There's a second volume that I will most likely che
Scott Schmidt
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved every panel of this. From Rubin's art style, to the amazing colors and his killer character design for Heracles and the monsters. And using each labor as a chapter lends itself so well to the flow of the story. What I really love is the setting which is some sort of futuristic/modern ancient Greece. So strange to have iPods, motorcycles and future tech mixed with fishing villages, mud huts and spears. Can't wait to get Book 2.
Bee
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting retelling of the story of Hercules. Fun, bright illustrations and a strange mash-up of mythology and science fiction. It's an interesting lens to view the characters--it's gory and overly sexual, but that's pretty true to Greek myth. There's a weird circular thing where Artemis/Diana/Amazons---> inspires Wonderwoman ----->inspires this depiction of Artemis/Diana/Amazons. ...more
Scott Baker
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly addictive page-turner. If you like alternate takes on Greek mythology, this is for you! The art style is Paul Pope-esque and works well with the tweaked tale. Not your average swords and sorcery comic.
Jaime Guzman
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fresh take on the 12 labors of Hercules mixed in with just a bit of tech. The art work is fantastic with a great sense of motion in it's action scenes. There are some parts that caught me a bit off guard with it's sexual scenes. Just the art work alone was enough for me to get the book.
Kristina Feeney
I feel like some of this is what the Disney movie was going for?

It was fun. I lol'ed.

oh. also love the art. I think David Rubin maybe one of my favorite artists. he has like a gory style and find every excuse to use guts and nudity. it is amazing.
David Thomas
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic retelling of the labors of Heracles, sprinkled with anachronism. Like, he has a motorcycle and an ipod. The art is decent, but the story gets kind of monotonous. Eurystheus gives him a labor. Heracles overcomes the labor without much trouble. Rinse and repeat.
Tyler Kroon
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, graphic novel mashup of Greek mythology and modern elements, chronicling the stories of Heracles.
Jonathan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off as a great modern take on classic tales, but takes a turn in Book 2…
Sean
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting. I am not hugely fond of Rubín's style, but his pictures are clear and easy for me to read, which I appreciate. The mingling of ancient and modern feel was quite enjoyable
M.i.
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting retelling of a classic story. Quite entertaining.
melissa
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
2.5. The art is interesting and I don't mind the changes to the original story, but it was really hard to follow along. Since I know the story of Hercules, I had some context which helped.
Sean
Quick read with an interesting story and great stylized art.
Sonic
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storytelling illustration skills that thrill me!
Corey
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The labors of Hercules (or Heracles) is a story I've seen told in so many ways, and I want to love this retelling, but I couldn't. The liberties taken within the telling of each task hurt me the same way as a movie or tv series does when it veers too far from the story of a book. Key moments from the legends are changed or disregarded with no improvement on the original.

Now, before I make everyone who enjoyed this book angry, I realize the artist had a vision for this story and it was his prero
Angel (JurassicReads)
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This graphic novel is beautiful drawn with pretty minimal story telling with words. Modern mixes with the expected Greek mythology in a bit of re-telling. Rubin does an amazing job weaving the story of Heracles, destined to be "The Hero," and his struggle through twelve seemingly impossible challenges. Born as a bastard child, he is at the whim of his brother, Eurystheus, who grows to become a cruel tyrant.

I was not expecting such a wonderful mix between modern (ex: buses, cell phones, magazine
Michael (Mai)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Why I read it:The number one reason why I picked it up is the art. Open to any page and bask in its beauty. The page I happened to turn to had a man (who turned out to be Hercules) in an Apollo clothing line ad. Myth combined with modern? Sign me up.

What I thought: Honestly, David Rubin could have told me anything with that sleek, clean art and I would have loved it. Barry Trotter, Harry Potter parody? Yeah. I still would have loved it.

David Rubin has such a unique and clean style. He uses a lot
Mouse
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially picked this up at the library because my kid loves the old Greek myths and so do I. I had it for several weeks before I really took a look at it and ruled that it wasn't for him. I also was a little 'turned off' by the art and thought about just taking it back to the library.

Well...I'm glad I didn't! It was a pleasant surprise and a very fun book!

I don't really understand the time-frame in the book, but it's mostly Heracles (Hercules) in modern times with cell phones, computers, cam

• Beowulf
  • Memorias de un hombre en pijama
  • Los surcos del azar
  • La balada del norte. Tomo 1
  • El tesoro del Cisne Negro
  • Ether, Vol. 1: Death of the Last Golden Blaze (Ether, #1)
  • Estamos todas bien
  • El invierno del dibujante
  • Arrugas
  • Les Filles de Salem : Comment nous avons condamné nos enfants
  • The Private Eye
  • Barrier
  • El trap. Filosofía millenial para la crisis en España
  • Pretty Deadly, Vol. 2: The Bear
  • History of the Marvel Universe (2019) #1 (of 6)
  • ¡Universo!, Vol 1
  • Extremity, Vol. 1: Artist
  • La balada del Norte Tomo 3
Uno de los historietistas españoles más reconocidos en los últimos años (en España, pero también internacionalmente). Es co-fundador del colectivo Polaqia, formado por historietistas de Galicia. Durante sus primeros años como historietista,

El Héroe (2 books)
  • El Héroe: Libro 2  (El Héroe, #2)

News & Interviews